160 GB PS3 Slim @ Gamestop $299 Link DEAD.

1HiTekTexan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Not a mistake on the HDD size. Unclear if $299 is MSRP.
Basically trying to stop everyone from getting the 120 GB @ the same price.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=83961

160GB_1281998995.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bredbu']you should throw slim into the title[/QUOTE]

i don't think they ever released a 160gb slim. i only seen 120,250, and 320

They're not showing up now for some reason. Earlier I saw them and supposedly they run quieter and are lighter too....which is weird.

Again. Not saying this is the best deal right now. Just saying there is another option now. Plus, the HDD size may not be the only difference with this console. Since, this is obviously a brand new SKU.

The 120GB is now going to be discontinued and replaced with the 160GB at the same $299 price point; this's confirmed with my Sony rep. They didn't want retailers to sit on 120GB systems, so they made an extremely quiet launch on these new guys. Since they don't seem to be giving retailers any kind of kick-back for the 120's, expect retailers to do some kind of giveaway deal with 120 systems at some point.

Anyone else notice the SKU for the system bundled with the Move stuff for next month doesn't have its HDD size listed yet? Perhaps another upgrade is in the works for the $349 price point?

[quote name='CDBlackmage']The 120GB is now going to be discontinued and replaced with the 160GB at the same $299 price point; this's confirmed with my Sony rep. They didn't want retailers to sit on 120GB systems, so they made an extremely quiet launch on these new guys. Since they don't seem to be giving retailers any kind of kick-back for the 120's, expect retailers to do some kind of giveaway deal with 120 systems at some point.

Anyone else notice the SKU for the system bundled with the Move stuff for next month doesn't have its HDD size listed yet? Perhaps another upgrade is in the works for the $349 price point?[/QUOTE]
A 320 GB systems will replace the current 250 GB sku. They already have them out in Japan.

If you care about the difference between 120 and 160 GB, you're better off snatching up a PS3 that is on sale for whatever reason and finding a cheap hard drive with a ton of storage. Off the top of my head I know you can get a 500 GB passport drive for $90 or so, bust it open and swap it right in the ps3. Then you have your very own 500 GB PS3 and can reuse the passport enclosure for the PS3's original drive.

The whole thing is a bit odd. They already have a 120GB model for $300--is another 40GB's for the same price really worth creating a whole new SKU for? They should've announced a version at $250 or something.

[quote name='CDBlackmage']The 120GB is now going to be discontinued and replaced with the 160GB at the same $299 price point; this's confirmed with my Sony rep. They didn't want retailers to sit on 120GB systems, so they made an extremely quiet launch on these new guys. Since they don't seem to be giving retailers any kind of kick-back for the 120's, expect retailers to do some kind of giveaway deal with 120 systems at some point.
[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm waiting on, from consumer's point of view it doesn't make sense to buy the 120gb if it's the same price, so the retailers must drop the price or bundle it.

Early Black Friday for me when this happens.

[quote name='zerotl']This is what I'm waiting on, from consumer's point of view it doesn't make sense to buy the 120gb if it's the same price, so the retailers must drop the price or bundle it.

Early Black Friday for me when this happens.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I keep hoping for them to announce some form of price cut, especially with the 360 Slim making the Xbox sales fly through the roof. I keep looking for an excuse to add a PS3, but Sony isn't giving me any incentive right now. An extra 40gb of HD space isn't really a huge upgrade.

Edit: the link in the OP is working again.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a 320gb move bundle for $400

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...tem-models-featuring-160gb-320gb-hard-drives/

"The 160GB PS3 system brings you more storage for the same price as the previous model — $299.99 (MSRP) — and is shipping to retailers nationwide now. The 320GB PS3 system will hit store shelves on September 19, in conjunction with the launch of PlayStation Move. It will be part of the PS3 Sports Champions Move bundle, which includes one PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Eye camera, a copy of Sports Champions on Blu-ray disc, and bonus Blu-ray game demo disc– all in one complete package for $399.99 (MSRP). The value included in this bundle is incredible and we know this will further add to the exceptionally high demand for the new platform."

Hopefully, I'll be able to stock up on another 120gb ps3 for $200 or so as retailers get rid of the old supply.

Up on Amazon already, planning to order it by the end of the week before school because Amazon charges tax to NY but not PA but w/e. Not really interested in getting the bigger HD from 120 to 160GB as I already have a 500GB from my prior 40GB PS3.

[quote name='PublikDefender']
Hopefully, I'll be able to stock up on another 120gb ps3 for $200 or so as retailers get rid of the old supply.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they are going to drop the price by $100 just for a 40 GB difference.
Amazon still has the 120 GB at $300. I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it the same price.

I'm guessing the lowest it will drop is $249 as a last chance type thing, surprised it hasnt dropped at least a little bit though with both models available.

[quote name='PublikDefender']There's also a 320gb move bundle for $400

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...tem-models-featuring-160gb-320gb-hard-drives/

"The 160GB PS3 system brings you more storage for the same price as the previous model — $299.99 (MSRP) — and is shipping to retailers nationwide now. The 320GB PS3 system will hit store shelves on September 19, in conjunction with the launch of PlayStation Move. It will be part of the PS3 Sports Champions Move bundle, which includes one PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Eye camera, a copy of Sports Champions on Blu-ray disc, and bonus Blu-ray game demo disc– all in one complete package for $399.99 (MSRP). The value included in this bundle is incredible and we know this will further add to the exceptionally high demand for the new platform."

Hopefully, I'll be able to stock up on another 120gb ps3 for $200 or so as retailers get rid of the old supply.[/QUOTE]

Seeing as the Move's direct competition--the Wii--is now sub-$200, I'd say the bundle price is too high at $400.

If you think $399 is too high for this bundle, then you are in the wrong market. The Move kit itself is $99. So if you want to look at it that way, you are essentially getting a 320 GB system for $300 plus the Move kit for $99. For $300 you could get the 160 GB system... so you are essentially getting 160 gigs for free. Comparing the Wii to the PS3 is laughable... if anybody looks at a Wii and thinks it is superior to the PS3 then I would point them to the nearest mental health center.

I personally don't mind this price point because it represents an overall cheaper option if you are interested in Move and a new system.

i am kinda lagging on this new technology surrounding PS3 and XBOX 360....I currently own a fat PS3 i bought last year and don't own xbox.....but my question to all you smart people is.......xbox 360 kinnect or however it is spelled doesn't come with any new hardware whereas for PS3 move one has to get 2 kinds of remotes in addition to the cam which is common for both consoles...?

Is xbox going to lead the sale from the price point perspective unless their technology is not as accurate as move? I am not trying to ignite a console war here but just trying to understand where these guys are going from pricing perspective.......

Also I agree with most of you where they won't be able to sell the 120GB consoles now unless they bundle some free stuff with it or actually offer it at a slightly reduced price point....

$299 160GB PS3 BAh-humbung.

I want this because it uses the new RAM which is cooler. And also has the newest Bluray Drive.

But $300 I am waiting for the Holidays and Walmart $50 gift card back. And use my SONY card and get $150 cash back.

$100 for a PS3 sounds about right.

bread's done
Back