16GB Kindle Fire HD 7" on sale for $159 on Amazon.com

I think I'm going with the Fire for a tablet but I'm going to wait til BF.  Not bad though- I think it has been this before, ever any cheaper?

Last edited by a moderator:
buying the nexus 7 day one last month seems to have been a bad choice

should have got kindle fire
The Nexus 7 is the better tablet hands down. I see a lot of Kindle Fires get returned because they're buggy, slow, and not responsive. The only thing I like about their service is their apps and pricing which I can access on my HTC One.

i got one of these for 129.99 at best buy   back on july 28

was on sale for 159.99 and stapes had a coupon for 30 bucks off tablets  best buy matched,

i would not touch these now cause a new  KINDLE or something is coming in a month or two   cause stapes. best buy  walmart all around here have  these at   159.99 but they say  CLOSEOUTS   Meaning a  new model is coming soon

Only if you're clueless.. Nexus 7 is better and it's not even close. Kindle's OS sucks. Unless you're only using it to read books and whatnot the Nexus 7 much better.

Those who do buy this      remember to check in with amazon every day to get your free app of the day.

hopefully sept is better    (free app means was free app of day no longer free)  rest are free  still

and games i found  

crazy shark saga

Pac man (free app)

angry birds (free app)

world of goo  (free app)

cut the rope  (free app)

monster rpg 2

middle manager of justice 

army of darkness   (must play)

thor lord of storms

missle defender   (free app)

monster life

joining hands  (free app)

monkey boxing (free app   app of month for me)

Pixel Defenders Puzzle  99 cents

Warmongers

Monster Galaxy: Exile

Monster Galaxy:

Game Dev Story  2.50

around the world in 80 days  (ON SALE 99 cents)

Fairway Solitaire (Full) (Kindle Tablet Edition)  99 cents 

is the best i found so far   

Another option people should consider is the Nook HD plus. Dropped to $149.99 and has access to the Google Play store. Downside is that you can't side-load apps from Amazon app store and it lacks a camera meaning it does not play all apps, but the price is good and it's a solid piece of kit. Fantastic comic reader and expandable storage via microSD card.

Save your money and get the Nexus 7 2nd gen instead. Got the FIre HD for $100 and I still ending up selling it.  The browser just sucks. If you'll mostly be using it for Amazon content and Netflix it isn't too bad though.

Browser needs work, but it's a good deal. Especially for those who basically live their net life through amazon.

Save your money and get the Nexus 7 2nd gen instead. Got the FIre HD for $100 and I still ending up selling it. The browser just sucks. If you'll mostly be using it for Amazon content and Netflix it isn't too bad though.

You can also root the Kindle Fire HD if you want access to the Google Play store, which will let you customize lock screens and such. 

No, it wasn't a bad choice. I owned an older Kindle Fire, then later the original Nexus 7, and now I have the new Nexus 7 FHD. The new Nexus 7 blows away any of the Kindle Fire devices; far, far better tablet for the money.

There is a new line of Kindle Fires coming this Fall, which will supposedly have better hardware; but for now, you're better off with a Nexus 7 FHD in the 7" tablet category, its a fantastic device!

Just root the kindle and install a different OS. Don't pay$70 more for a Nexus 7.
Except the Nexus 7 FHD (2013 model) blows away any Kindle device in terms of hardware, hands down. You get what you pay for, if saving $70 is that important, you deserve the laggier, worse-performing tab. But hey, you can always take consolation in that $70 you saved, over the next year or so of struggling to get the tablet to respond to you! :oops:

If your looking for a tablet under 200,the new Asus memo hd7 is pretty good. It's a quad core tablet with 1gb ram, SD card slot, front and rear facing cameras, and is only $150.

No, it wasn't a bad choice. I owned an older Kindle Fire, then later the original Nexus 7, and now I have the new Nexus 7 FHD. The new Nexus 7 blows away any of the Kindle Fire devices; far, far better tablet for the money.

There is a new line of Kindle Fires coming this Fall, which will supposedly have better hardware; but for now, you're better off with a Nexus 7 FHD in the 7" tablet category, its a fantastic device!
or if you can get a kindle dirt cheap buy that and hold off for black friday and hope to get these nexus cheap

If you are looking for a good android tablet at a low price check out this one for $130:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-with-8GB-Memory-M470BSA/25427874

It's basically the same spec wise as the original Nexus 7 (which I have) but with hdmi out and the option to add an SD card. Read the reviews (187 reviews, 5 stars). If I didn't have the 7 already I'd probably go for this.
I had the original (2012) Nexus 7, and while I liked it at first, it became excruciatingly slow as time went on. Bootup time got worse and worse, browsing was terrible, and the whole thing just became totally sluggish. I used to think the Tegra 3 was supposed to be an amazing processor, but I changed my feelings after having the original Nexus 7.

When they released the remodeled Nexus 7, I dumped the original at GS as a trade in, and never looked back. The new Nexus 7 completely blows away the original in every way, screen resolution, speed, bootup time, battery life, browsing, and for games. I think the quad-core snapdragon processor, 2GB of faster RAM, and better screen make all the difference. The 32GB is $270 (16GB is $230 but I'd always go with the extra internal storage) but well worth it for what you get.

As for the knockoff chinese android tabs, I've steered well clear of those from the start; just too much of a risk if you get a lemon and have to deal with repairs. Also the specs on the tab you linked are pretty weak; slower clocked Tegra 3, only 8GB of storage, lower resolution screen, and only 1GB of RAM. You get what you pay for!

If you are looking for a good android tablet at a low price check out this one for $130:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-with-8GB-Memory-M470BSA/25427874

It's basically the same spec wise as the original Nexus 7 (which I have) but with hdmi out and the option to add an SD card. Read the reviews (187 reviews, 5 stars). If I didn't have the 7 already I'd probably go for this.
I'll let you guys know how good this really is. Just picked one up and with all the research I did, everything shows its better than the original Nexus 7 and easy to jail break.. Here's hoping after my transformer prime fiasco.

Heres a clue... the Kindle Fire cant hold a candle to the Nexus 7 2.0.

Besides the processor absolutely blowing it away, you have the fact that its 1080p vs 720p and the fact that its an OPEN source android platform vs closed source android based platform. 2GB of ram vs 1GB of Ram...

I could go on... but I wont... but I totally could...

The kindle fire 7" hd isnt in the same league as the nexus 7 2.0... its not even in the tier below... it might be 2 tiers below it at best.

I'll let you guys know how good this really is. Just picked one up and with all the research I did, everything shows its better than the original Nexus 7 and easy to jail break.. Here's hoping after my transformer prime fiasco.
Have to say, I like very this tablet. It's quick, smooth, and takes maybe a hour to root. It's now my perfect tablet, full of emulators, and psm. All for 160 with the tablet and 32 gb card.

I have the original Kindle Fire and I'm ready to upgrade. I enjoyed it for about a year but with the slow responses, freezing and skipping videos, and no Google Play is getting on my nerves. Don't bother getting a Kindle Fire. Your better getting a lower cost tablet than this. I'm leaning towards an iPad mini, Nexus 7, or Samsung Galaxy tab.

I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9.  It is great for Books, movies, TV shows but that's all I really use it for.  For most apps I could use my phone.  Personally I don't have any use for a tablet other than the things I mentioned.  I could have an iPad and I would think the exact same thing I'm sure.  I don't really bother using it to get to websites because I'll just use my laptop if I'm going to do that but it's much easier to handle than a laptop of course.  Easier to have outside for a lot of things.  Nice to play music and keep people entertained.

I really like it for magazines and books.  This semester I needed to buy a lot of books and got a lot of them on Kindle which I think (and hope) will be easier to read on.  Did save money by buying those books too.

What I don't like - Can't highlight or save places in the book.  I bet the new ones will add an ability to highlight in the books or at least they should.

I love my Kindle cause of the Prime streaming, and it has all the apps I want like Twitch.tv. I also like the selection of reading and plugging it into my computer and loading stuff.

bread's done
Back