1997 diecast Voltron set - $139.99 bigbadtoystore.com

equest943

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just thought I'd post because of all the interest in the Transformers thread and the Megazord thread. I remember buying this for $50 in '97 and being the poor college student that I was, I returned it. A few months later I saw the same set but it was significantly lighter where I then realized they just took it and I guess decided metal was too dangerous for kids. I was pissed. I'm highly considering purchasing this, but I actually have to save money at this specific moment as well. I hope someone buys it and takes picture. I will be highly jealous.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TRM10013&mode=retail&picture=in

I love love LOVE that set. I have two complete in box mint, original Lionbot (Voltron) knockoffs from the early 80's that they just recently started reproducing, and one original, mint complete in box Bandai Godaikins Lionbot...all of them are that beautiful, original chunky diecast goodness. Each with shitloads of shiny chrome paint coated weapons/swords and tons of missiles that WILL take an eye out.

but I still want the recent masterpiece reissue because the packaging just looks soooo much better. This packaging looks just awesome too, but $140 is steep, no question about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that same set. It's the Trendmasters set. I got mine at TRU back in 1997. It's very very similar to the old sets from the '80's. There are some differences but I can't remember now. Otherwise, it looks like the same mold. Die cast metal and all. I have opened mine and had it displayed for a while. I no longer have enough room to display it, so it's in a closet in it's original box.
IMO, that price is a little high. They pop up on ebay from time to time for much cheaper (although usually opened).

[quote name='techstar25']I have that same set. It's the Trendmasters set. I got mine at TRU back in 1997. It's very very similar to the old sets from the '80's. There are some differences but I can't remember now. Otherwise, it looks like the same mold. Die cast metal and all. I have opened mine and had it displayed for a while. I no longer have enough room to display it, so it's in a closet in it's original box.
IMO, that price is a little high. They pop up on ebay from time to time for much cheaper (although usually opened).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have the same set too, I got it from TRU when my husband still worked there. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't $139 (I think it might have been in the $60-70 range at the time), look elsewhere to see if its cheaper.

I had the original set as a child, too, and the differences between the two seem pretty minimal. Its a great set to have for display if you don't own the originals anymore.

bread's done
Back