RedFoxCommando

CAGiversary!
Just received this email...

:wii: $15 gift card with purchase of Nintendo Wii
:wii: 50% off Pro Pack Mini Wii Controllers
B1G1 Free ALL EA Sports Video Game Accessories
:360::ps3: 40% PowerStand Charger for Xbox 360 or PS3
$2 OFF Duracell AA or AAA 20 count batteries

is their going to be like an add or u just have to go to the store and buy these products?

No ad, from my experience TRU has been pretty good about posting signs for special deals like this, but like I said, that has been my experience. IMO the TRU in Frisco, TX has been the best TRU in DFW as far as keeping their customers informed about sales and they have the best inventory I've seen among DFW TRU's and Las Colinas is a close second.

yeah i went into the store and purchased a wii and was able to get the 15 giftcard :) thanks for the tip redfox

Has anyone tried out the mini Wii controllers? I was considering getting one for my 5 year old and this seems like a pretty good deal.

[quote name='Pescado Plus']Has anyone tried out the mini Wii controllers? I was considering getting one for my 5 year old and this seems like a pretty good deal.[/QUOTE]

Did just buy one, but haven't tried it yet.

It's always bugged me when games map functions to the d-pad and the 1/2 buttons when you're suppose to keep the controller pointed at the screen. It gets really annoying

I'm hoping the consolidated design will make it easier to access all those buttons. Besides, $25 is pretty good for a wiimote+nunchuck (and I think these were just released this month).

Couple of things to note though...

--this contoller uses 2 AAA batteries (I don't have rechargeable AAA's)
--no Wii-motion plus built in (I thought it was built in but then I realized I was thinking of that new Nyko controller).

If I can stay away from REACH long enough, I'll try out the controller tonight on Metroid Other M and RedSteel2.

EDIT: just wanted to thank OP for listing this deal. TRU didn't send me the email for this deal and I wouldn't have known w/out RFC's post

Last edited by a moderator:
Had time to try out the Wii controller. Started off on Metroid then moved on to RedSteel2, but eventually moved on to a few other games.

Overall, it's a really good substitute to the stock controller. The motion sensors and pointer functionality work just fine. Never noticed any lag. The A, 1/2 and -/+ buttons feel solid, plus they are larger than the buttons on the stock controller. The d-pad looks identical in size and shape to that found on the original controller. The d-pad does not have a central pivot point, which means it's possible to depress all corners of the d-pad down at the same time

The nunchuck is slightly smaller than than stock version. The Z & C buttons feel studier than those on the stock nunchuk. The analog stick has good resistance to it and uses a circular gate for its movement (similar to the analaog stick movement of the 360 or PS3 pads) as opposed to the octagonal gate on the stock nunchuck.

First played Metroid Other M , on Hard, with the new controller. Directional movement was fine initially. Movement was fine when you weren't dealing with enemies. However, there were problems once you were surrounded by enemies. I'd try to move one way or dodge and get stuck due to the d-pad.

The dpad isn't good for quick directional changes. Trying to roll your thumb from one side to the other usually results in the depression of entire d-pad. In other words, you can push down all corners of the pad at the same time. Not good thing to have happen when you're playing a fast-paced game.

Next, I put in RD2 and hooked a Wii motion plus up to it. Worked just as well as the stock controllers.

After that I decided to try out Dead Space Ext., SMG, and Wii Sports. They all played well with the new controller.

In the end they nailed the motion and pointer functionality but screwed up the d-pad. Luckily most games don't use the d-pad as the main movement input.

Still a good deal at $25 for the package

Thanks for the impressions rbarba4. This controller will probably be used exclusively on LEGO games so the iffy D-pad shouldn't be a deal breaker. For that price I'll pick one up after work.

bread's done
Back