2 Judges jailed for "Jailing Kids for Cash" Scandal

HotShotX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/23/pennsylvania.corrupt.judges/index.html

Two judges are each sentenced to 87 months in prison in a plea deal after taking over 2.6 million in cash from "private prisons / youth boot camps" over the years in exchange for "boosting" their enrollment numbers.

(I.E. sentencing minors to boot camp for months at a time over minor offenses)

Ciavarvella sent 15-year-old Hillary Transue to a wilderness camp for mocking an assistant principal on a MySpace page.

He whisked 13-year-old Shane Bly, who was accused of trespassing in a vacant building, from his parents and confined him in a boot camp for two weekends.

He sentenced Kurt Kruger, 17, to detention and five months of boot camp for helping a friend steal DVDs from Wal-Mart.

Most of the defendents went before these judges without a lawyer on the idea that the crimes were minor and that pleading guilty would be a fine or minor community service, as it usually is.

Imagine being told you're going to youth prison for 9 months for taking pocket change from unlocked vehicles.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/23/pennsylvania.corrupt.judges/index.html

Two judges are each sentenced to 87 months in prison in a plea deal after taking over 2.6 million in cash from "private prisons / youth boot camps" over the years in exchange for "boosting" their enrollment numbers.

(I.E. sentencing minors to boot camp for months at a time over minor offenses)

Most of the defendents went before these judges without a lawyer on the idea that the crimes were minor and that pleading guilty would be a fine or minor community service, as it usually is.

Imagine being told you're going to youth prison for 9 months for taking pocket change from unlocked vehicles.

~HotShotX[/quote]

Those first two cases you cite are ridiculous. Mocking the vice principle, depends on what she wrote I guess, but in a criminal court free speech should apply to anything short of posting personal information, threats, or outright slander.

Although if some kid is breaking into cars and stealing cash, I don't have an issue with a little juvie. This isn't a "heat-of-the-moment" thing, and one man's pocket change can be another man's lifeline. However I would agree that 9 months is excessive!

"He sentenced Kurt Kruger, 17, to detention and five months of boot camp for helping a friend steal DVDs from Wal-Mart."

The other two were obviously wrong, but I see nothing wrong with this sentence. Want to steal for shits and giggles? Get ready to do some harsh time. I have a cousin who has been banned from every store here in the Tri-Cities for stealing, and yet the cops always let her off with a slap on the wrist.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']"He sentenced Kurt Kruger, 17, to detention and five months of boot camp for helping a friend steal DVDs from Wal-Mart."

The other two were obviously wrong, but I see nothing wrong with this sentence. Want to steal for shits and giggles? Get ready to do some harsh time. I have a cousin who has been banned from every store here in the Tri-Cities for stealing, and yet the cops always let her off with a slap on the wrist.[/QUOTE]
The kid was an accessory to simple theft and got 5 months. That's not reasonable.

Besides, he's doing it wrong. All he needs is an MBA and he can steal all he wants.

[quote name='camoor']Those first two cases you cite are ridiculous. Mocking the vice principle, depends on what she wrote I guess, but in a criminal court free speech should apply to anything short of posting personal information, threats, or outright slander.[/QUOTE]

That jumped out at me too. Is even posting personal information illegal? Anyone know?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']wait, what?[/QUOTE]
Obviously, he is satirizing the progressive tendency to blame the "free market" for the results of its opposite - in this case, the prison-industrial complex. ;)

[quote name='rickonker']That jumped out at me too. Is even posting personal information illegal? Anyone know?[/quote]

I believe that gets into sketchy area, depending on person/what info really.

Combining this thread with the "how to deal with a friend in jail" thread and the war on drugs, I'm starting to get the impression that the purpose of law enforcement is to fill as many jails and prisons as possible and not even pay lip service to justice. Any thoughts?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Combining this thread with the "how to deal with a friend in jail" thread and the war on drugs, I'm starting to get the impression that the purpose of law enforcement is to fill as many jails and prisons as possible and not even pay lip service to justice. Any thoughts?[/quote]

You JUST caught on to this?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']wait, what?[/QUOTE]

Satire, yes. Just pointing out that, by privatizing, in part, our corrections system, we have people with a vested financial interest in incarcerating American citizens. This is the result of that.

[quote name='georox']You JUST caught on to this?[/quote]

I used to think just certain areas of the country were corrupt, but finding a good cop is like finding a good Christian.

Wait... the judicial system is just as crooked as the other two branches of government? What are we going to do!?

So what happens to judges in prison? Is it like when cops go to prison where they probably wouldn't make it out alive?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Combining this thread with the "how to deal with a friend in jail" thread and the war on drugs, I'm starting to get the impression that the purpose of law enforcement is to fill as many jails and prisons as possible and not even pay lip service to justice. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
At some point, the drug war became an employment program. That's when it went wrong.

[quote name='speedracer']At some point, the drug war became an employment program. That's when it went wrong.[/quote]

Would the drug war be cheaper if we suspended private and public medical care for people whose hair tested positive for drugs?

Of course, I'm sure companies would start requiring employees to smoke pot as a condition of employment.

[quote name='mykevermin']juveniles?[/quote]

"Well lookie here boys, it's the guy who put us away! Guess the tables are turned now, huh?"

"What're you going to do?!"

*Gives the judge a swirlie, a purple nurple, steals his lunch money and calls his momma fat*

Oh the horror.

[quote name='Hex']"Well lookie here boys, it's the guy who put us away! Guess the tables are turned now, huh?"

"What're you going to do?!"[/quote]

The same thing adult criminals do in adult prison, but with smaller dicks.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Would the drug war be cheaper if we suspended private and public medical care for people whose hair tested positive for drugs.[/QUOTE]
Given that they'll DQ you for about a thousand other reasons, I'm surprised HMOs haven't thought of that yet.

Yeah... Kids in juvie got arrested and brought before a judge for pulling hair and calling names.

[quote name='Hex']"Well lookie here boys, it's the guy who put us away! Guess the tables are turned now, huh?"

"What're you going to do?!"

*Gives the judge a swirlie, a purple nurple, steals his lunch money and calls his momma fat*

Oh the horror.[/quote]

bread's done
Back