$20 credit with $200 purchase [gc purchase ok] at Best Buy (AMEX + twitter required)

yuyak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
So twitter often goes down or gets hacked so credit card companies want you to link to them? Just doesn't sound smart to me.

[quote name='ijustw1n']So twitter often goes down or gets hacked so credit card companies want you to link to them? Just doesn't sound smart to me.[/QUOTE]
Well, twitter itself won't have the AMEX info. You sync your AMEX card number to your twitter screen name ON AMEX's WEBSITE.

Not trying to trash the deal, just tying credit cards to more things. If I was hacking, I'd hit twitter, find all those linked to Amex, then use their twitter info to hack Amex or even legitly log in. How many people use multiple passwords or not info from general twitter profile, birthdate, etc? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

[quote name='ijustw1n']Not trying to trash the deal, just tying credit cards to more things. If I was hacking, I'd hit twitter, find all those linked to Amex, then use their twitter info to hack Amex or even legitly log in. How many people use multiple passwords or not info from general twitter profile, birthdate, etc? Maybe I'm just paranoid.[/QUOTE] Certainly more caution is a good thing when it comes to credit card security, but I just don't follow your logic.

- If I was hacking (and following your assumption about common passwords), I'd hit up AMEX/VISA/MC of many different people since most people have at least one of those credit cards. I wouldn't restrict myself to those who have the AMEX-twitter sync.
- If I was hacking AMEX directly, I'd go after all the accounts I can get my hands on, not just those who are linked to twitter.

My point is, all the credit card info will remain with the credit card company so your overall risk doesn't change.

The rate at which twitter gets hacked is so ridiculous that I refuse to put ANYTHING factual on there. I for sure won't be linking a CC to it.

[quote name='yuyak']Certainly more caution is a good thing when it comes to credit card security, but I just don't follow your logic.

- If I was hacking (and following your assumption about common passwords), I'd hit up AMEX/VISA/MC of many different people since most people have at least one of those credit cards. I wouldn't restrict myself to those who have the AMEX-twitter sync.
- If I was hacking AMEX directly, I'd go after all the accounts I can get my hands on, not just those who are linked to twitter.

My point is, all the credit card info will remain with the credit card company so your overall risk doesn't change.[/QUOTE]
if your twitter account is hacked... they now have your information and KNOW you have AMEX. So they just go from one to the other and have all your AMEX stuff too.

[quote name='yuyak']Certainly more caution is a good thing when it comes to credit card security, but I just don't follow your logic.

My point is, all the credit card info will remain with the credit card company so your overall risk doesn't change.[/QUOTE]

It's lower risk. So I hack twitter, no problem, pretty innocent crime, however I grab all the Amex linked accounts info. I then don't even have to hack the Amex site, just go, try usernames and twitter passwords like I'm normally logging in, bound to hit on at least handfuls of accounts.

[quote name='Woocls']if your twitter account is hacked... they now have your information and KNOW you have AMEX. So they just go from one to the other and have all your AMEX stuff too.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ijustw1n']It's lower risk. So I hack twitter, no problem, pretty innocent crime, however I grab all the Amex linked accounts info. I then don't even have to hack the Amex site, just go, try usernames and twitter passwords like I'm normally logging in, bound to hit on at least handfuls of accounts.[/QUOTE]
I thought I already addressed this in my first bullet point, but let me try a different approach:
To open a twitter account, all you need is Full Name (doesn't have to be real), email address (use a spam email account), and a password (don't use the same one as your credit card account). It took me less than 30 seconds to create a throw-away twitter account and has no personal information.

I would participate if only I had something $200+ I would like to purchase. But then again this is basically only a 10% discount on a $200 purchase, tax will reduce it to around 4% for me...

[quote name='b3b0p']i don't know if I have spent even $200 at Best Buy my entire life yet.[/QUOTE]
All it takes is 40 of their $5 game deals. :lol:

[quote name='provicemo']Do you guys realize you're giving AMEX your Twitter, not the other way around?[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!

People need to relax about people hacking your twitter and having access to your Amex. That makes no sense at all.

@ijustwin- your paranoia is ridiculous. Just stop already. If you're gonna randomly test passwords and usernames with a hacked twitter list, why would you care to just test Amex accounts? You'd do every financial institution. It's a script. It doesn't take more time. This deal doesn't expose you to any more risk than not doing it.

Thanks op for the heads up.

Hacking issue aside, you are all skipping over one very important detail of the deal:

"Spend $200+ in one transaction before 9/16"

A true CAG never spends $200 in one transaction.
A true CAG never spends $60 in one transaction.

*The term "true CAG" excludes flippers/hoarders who will spend $400 just to flip for $425, completely ignoring gas and/or service fees, yet somehow these creatures still manage to make a living with these micro-profits all adding up, meanwhile never actually playing video games.

[quote name='sadakou']Hacking issue aside, you are all skipping over one very important detail of the deal:

"Spend $200+ in one transaction before 9/16"

A true CAG never spends $200 in one transaction.
A true CAG never spends $60 in one transaction.

*The term "true CAG" excludes flippers/hoarders who will spend $400 just to flip for $425, completely ignoring gas and/or service fees, yet somehow these creatures still manage to make a living with these micro-profits all adding up, meanwhile never actually playing video games.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've probably only spent $200+ once at Best Buy (bought a TV)... BUT I'm fairly sure this will work on a gift card purchase too. Since this is an AMEX promo, all AMEX cares about is you charging $200 on your AMEX at Best Buy. At least that's what I'm planning on doing.

[quote name='yuyak']Yeah, I've probably only spent $200+ once at Best Buy (bought a TV)... BUT I'm fairly sure this will work on a gift card purchase too. Since this is an AMEX promo, all AMEX cares about is you charging $200 on your AMEX at Best Buy. At least that's what I'm planning on doing.[/QUOTE]
A true CAG would take this deal, use it to buy $200 in Amazon Kindle cards, then wait and jump on good Amazon deals (Goldbox, etc) as they come along.

If anyone is planning to buy a 3DSXL which releases 08/19/12, this might be a good way to do it, especially if Best Buy offers some incentive like a gift card or other item in the first month.

[quote name='provicemo']A true CAG would take this deal, use it to buy $200 in Amazon Kindle cards, then wait and jump on good Amazon deals (Goldbox, etc) as they come along.[/QUOTE]

Although the Best Buy deals have been far better lately. Either way I'm going to buy a Best Buy GC's. Then I can easily buy Kindle GC's if I need to.

[quote name='TooPoor']I don't have twitter. Sigh.[/QUOTE] It's very easy to make a twitter account. I've ONLY used it for things like this.

[quote name='bojay1997']If anyone is planning to buy a 3DSXL which releases 08/19/12, this might be a good way to do it, especially if Best Buy offers some incentive like a gift card or other item in the first month.[/QUOTE]

may try this if Best buy does have a GOOD 3DS XL DEAL

[quote name='slidecage']may try this if Best buy does have a GOOD 3DS XL DEAL[/QUOTE]

This is my plan. I sold my regular 3DS for about what I paid for it on Amazon as soon as the XL was announced plus traded in my DSi XL. I'm in no hurry to replace them so I'll stack this with a 3DS XL deal at Best Buy and come out ahead.

[quote name='b3b0p']i don't know if I have spent even $200 at Best Buy my entire life yet.[/QUOTE]where have you been getting gaming deals over the last 2 yrs then cause BB has been the best for sometime now.

[quote name='provicemo']A true CAG would take this deal, use it to buy $200 in Amazon Kindle cards, then wait and jump on good Amazon deals (Goldbox, etc) as they come along.[/QUOTE]Actually it would be better to turn it into BB credit & wait for AMZ deals to arise since there's no simple way to turn AMZ credit to BB. Doing it your way means people would have to pay real money to get in on DOTD, @gamer coupon stacks, extra mags, RZ coupon offers instead of using the credit. Plus, since BB has deals that allow you to use credit to earn more credit you could easily turn $200 in $40 more credit.

I'll be getting the new 3DS from an online retailer that doesn't charge tax or shipping, that saves you the 10% this does with out the hassle.

[quote name='RiPPn']I'll be getting the new 3DS from an online retailer that doesn't charge tax or shipping, that saves you the 10% this does with out the hassle.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Amazon doesn't even sell the 3DS anymore due to excessive returns and they haven't listed the 3DSXL, so many of us don't have any "tax free" options, especially in states like California where Gamestop, BB.com, Target.com, Buy.com and NewEgg all already charge tax. Heck, Amazon is going to begin collecting tax on September 1 in California as well, so unless there's some mom and pop retailer out there that is reliable, the days of tax free online purchases will pretty much be over for the largest state.

What if I buy $200 worth of video games (that are also eligible for $20 rz certificates) with half gift card, half amex? Going to assume it won't work but thought I'd ask.

[quote name='Enuf']where have you been getting gaming deals over the last 2 yrs then cause BB has been the best for sometime now.

Actually it would be better to turn it into BB credit & wait for AMZ deals to arise since there's no simple way to turn AMZ credit to BB. Doing it your way means people would have to pay real money to get in on DOTD, @gamer coupon stacks, extra mags, RZ coupon offers instead of using the credit. Plus, since BB has deals that allow you to use credit to earn more credit you could easily turn $200 in $40 more credit.[/QUOTE]

I buy so few games that I preorder everything from Amazon and be done with it. I don't want to drive around town. I don't want to waste time trying to find a deal or waite. If I'm going to buy a game, I buy it to keep. There are so many good games, I ignore as many as I can and only get the ones I truly want to play above all others and not waste money on anything else. It's cheaper paying full price for a few games I actually want to play and have time then it is to get a whole bunch of games where half of them aren't worth wasting my time on when I could be doing something monitizable.

[quote name='navalg1337']What if I buy $200 worth of video games (that are also eligible for $20 rz certificates) with half gift card, half amex? Going to assume it won't work but thought I'd ask.[/QUOTE]you'd still earn points on the amex just like any other purchase.

[quote name='b3b0p']I buy so few games that I preorder everything from Amazon and be done with it. I don't want to drive around town. I don't want to waste time trying to find a deal or waite. If I'm going to buy a game, I buy it to keep. There are so many good games, I ignore as many as I can and only get the ones I truly want to play above all others and not waste money on anything else. It's cheaper paying full price for a few games I actually want to play and have time then it is to get a whole bunch of games where half of them aren't worth wasting my time on when I could be doing something monitizable.[/QUOTE]Sounds good in theory but I'm sure you've paid more game for game doing it that way few games or not. Your $60 single game purchases would be 3-5 games for me & I'd only have to order online & make a few phone calls but if it works for you so be it.

Just to report back, I just stopped by BB and bought 3 x $50 Kindle gc + 1 x $50 BB gc. By the time I got home, I had an email from AMEX:

Congratulations! By using your synced American Express® Card ending in xxxxx, you saved $20.00 on your purchase at Best Buy. Expect a statement credit in 3-5 days.

[quote name='bojay1997']Good luck with that. Amazon doesn't even sell the 3DS anymore due to excessive returns and they haven't listed the 3DSXL, so many of us don't have any "tax free" options, especially in states like California where Gamestop, BB.com, Target.com, Buy.com and NewEgg all already charge tax. Heck, Amazon is going to begin collecting tax on September 1 in California as well, so unless there's some mom and pop retailer out there that is reliable, the days of tax free online purchases will pretty much be over for the largest state.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the state of California's money woes is what is leading to this path. AZ is not much better off, however none of those retailers are taxing us. (yet) So the new 3DS will be tax free for me, and hopefully one of them offers a bonus for buying.

[quote name='Enuf']you'd still earn points on the amex just like any other purchase.

Sounds good in theory but I'm sure you've paid more game for game doing it that way few games or not. Your $60 single game purchases would be 3-5 games for me & I'd only have to order online & make a few phone calls but if it works for you so be it.[/QUOTE]
What ever makes you content. I don't care. I don't have time to spend too much time playing games, so use that time wisely. I sometimes might end up only buying 1 game per year. And your numbers don't make sense at all. 3 games? Who said they were costing me $60? I don't think I have ever ended up paying that much. Amazon always discounts on release day.

[quote name='b3b0p']What ever makes you content. I don't care. I don't have time to spend too much time playing games, so use that time wisely. I sometimes might end up only buying 1 game per year. And your numbers don't make sense at all. 3 games? Who said they were costing me $60? I don't think I have ever ended up paying that much. Amazon always discounts on release day.[/QUOTE] Not trying to be facetious, but genuinely curious: If you don't have time to play games and maybe buy only 1 game a year, why are you on here?

[quote name='yuyak']Just to report back, I just stopped by BB and bought 3 x $50 Kindle gc + 1 x $50 BB gc. By the time I got home, I had an email from AMEX:

Congratulations! By using your synced American Express® Card ending in xxxxx, you saved $20.00 on your purchase at Best Buy. Expect a statement credit in 3-5 days.[/QUOTE]

Thanks OP im going to buy a $200 gift card next time I walk in. $20 credit sounds good to me since I spend a lot at BB anyway.

Bought a $175 Best Buy gift card and $25 of other miscellaneous items today and within a minute of completing my purchase, I got the AMEX notification email that I qualified for my $20 credit in 3-5 days.

I also earned the last AMEX/BB deal ($10 credit) through Twitter so anybody that was worried should be rest assured you'll still qualify for this 2nd promotion.

[quote name='b3b0p']i don't know if I have spent even $200 at Best Buy my entire life yet.[/QUOTE]
Dude. You've been here for 10 years. You've gotta be kidding. Seriously?

bread's done
Back