20 gig versus 60 gig

lawhorns04

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I pre-ordered on 12/26/05 at FYE and just now got a call that my PS3 is in. However, it's only the 20 gig version. I'm thinking of picking it up anyway since 20 gigs is plenty of space, and I can always add another hd for cheap. Other than losing the wireless connectivity, which I could get back later with the linksys adapter, what else am I missing out on? Is the 60 really that much better than the 20 gig version?v Thanks for the help.

It depends on your preference. and NO the 60 GB is not THAT much better or better at all. I think the 20GB is much better value than the 60GB considering you can just switch it. The main kicker is the wifi and wether you need it or not. My Ps3 is right next to my router and I dont plan on lugging my ps3 around the country to hotspots so wifi is pretty useless to me.

oh yeah and unless you have some unhealthy obsession with chrome trim ;)

If you dont have a PSP and you are cool with spending about another 75-100 on the adaptor then its not a big deal. I also plan to upgrade my drive sometime in the future.

Oh and dont forget you lose the chrome grill!!!

I don't have a PSP, and I already have the linksys gaming adapter. I use it for my 360 now, so hopefully I can just switch the cable when I want to play one versus the other.

I don't see the hard drive being that difficult to switch as I can do it on my home PC without any issues.

The chrome bling would be nice, but I think I'll survive without it.

I guess the only other thing the 20 doesn't have is the ports for the different card readers. Couldn't I just add one of these through one of the usb ports?

Thanks for all of the input and please keep it coming.

hopefully I can ask this question again a year and a half from now.

by then ppl should be a lot more familiar w/ their PS3

and I'll probably be ready to actually buy one

My understanding is you can just plug in a normal card reader, right? In which case the 20GB model is a better deal unless you want Wifi and don't already have a bridge.

And it doesn't matter if you have a PSP or not-you connect it with USB for game related stuff.

Personally I don't like the chrome. Looks incredibly cheesy. Haven't seen both PS3's in real life, but the 360 looks especially cheesy with chrome. If I were them, I'd have charged more for the version WITHOUT chrome :D

[quote name='Puppy']My understanding is you can just plug in a normal card reader, right? In which case the 20GB model is a better deal unless you want Wifi and don't already have a bridge.

And it doesn't matter if you have a PSP or not-you connect it with USB for game related stuff.

Personally I don't like the chrome. Looks incredibly cheesy. Haven't seen both PS3's in real life, but the 360 looks especially cheesy with chrome. If I were them, I'd have charged more for the version WITHOUT chrome :D[/quote]

Yes you can connect anything that uses a USB to the PS3 like the card reader in your example.

The PS3's controller cable is just a Mini-B USB cable so you can use that to connect your PSP to it right out of the box like you said. Only thing is you won't be able to stream files off the PS3 though you could copy them back and forth to your PSP's memory stick to view.

Thanks for the information! Since I don't have or care about wireless, the 20GB model sounds perfect for me!

Ironically if I ever actually find a Wii, I won't be able to take it online until (supposedly) January when they release the Ethernet adapter :(

I was in the same situation and i waited and not even a week later, i got my 60 gb ver and honestly im happier..... for me atleast the wireless is just tons easier... the extra types of cards you can put in is no big deal but i will say... the bigger HD is necessary...

i have only 1 game loaded on and firmware update and out of 60 gb im already down to 47, game data for resistance takes up like 160 mb... just to be safe i would go for the 60 gb unelss you want to put in a new HD...

if that is the case... go 4 20gb system if you dont care about wireless at all...

only differences are 60 gb hd... extra mem card ports, and wireless, and chrome plating but like i said.. for me and my situation, the 60gb was better worth the wait i think...

Is upgrading the hard drive as I easy as I assume it to be? I haven't opened it yet, so I'm just wondering if it's easy to get to the HD and if the switch out will be as simple as when I add a drive to my desktop.

[quote name='lawhorns04']Is upgrading the hard drive as I easy as I assume it to be? I haven't opened it yet, so I'm just wondering if it's easy to get to the HD and if the switch out will be as simple as when I add a drive to my desktop.[/quote]
It is easy look here http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43/ I smacked a 120 gigger in my PS3 yesterday.

I just had to bring this thread back, because I'm constantly seeing people dismiss the 20GB PS3 and act like PS3 ONLY costs $600 (for the 60GB version).

This is how I feel:

I do own a PSP, and I'm a big supporter of it. However, I don't have interest in remote play at all. I'm willing to just connect a USB cable, for some content (I have plenty of USB cables). Personally, I see the 20GB version as the best value. First off, I'm paying $500, where I basically get HDMI and blu-ray (something 360 does not have). Although it doesn't come with component cables or headset, I still have my PS2 USB headset (that I heard works with PS3) and if I had PS2 component cables, I could just use them. Oh course, I do want a bigger HDD in the future, so I will only be stuck with an extra 20GB, compared to 60GB. $500 is not bad to me, for a 20GB, and I'd just upgrade the HDD in the future. I don't really want WiFi because my internet connect (when I'm at home) is already kind of slow, and using WiFi will make it slower on my PS3. Plus, I have plenty of cables and ports.

Seriously, I wish this thread could be seen by everyone, because most all people (that don't have a whole lot of interest in PS3, or don't know much about it) assume the 60GB model is the only good one, and feel $600 is too much, and some don't see $500 as being too big of a problem (yet act like the 20GB model doesn't exist). At several forums (threads about people seeing a PS3), I cannot tell you how many people replied in a row, saying next to no one is willing to pay $600, not even saying a word about a 20GB model for $500.

What I also don't understand is there are people who constantly complain about the price of the PS3, yet they seem to want a 60GB model only (when 20GB is basically an Xbox 360 premium, but with blu-ray and HDMI, easily worth an extra $100 IMO). This isn't to offend those who bought a 60GB to keep, because many of you seemed to want that model and didn't have a problem paying for it (because you're getting what you want) and that's cool. For the most part, people seem to assume the 60GB PS3 = Xbox 360 premium, when IMO, the 60GB PS3 should definitely be more expensive (WiFi alone on 360 costs $100, making it $500, and doesn't have HDMI or some new disc format support).

Totally agree with the last post. Especially when I see the premium XBox360 compared with the 60GB PS3, when really it's more like the 20GB. That and free online play is what convinced me to choose PS3 as my next-gen system. Plus a Wii of course.

hm...yea...would somebody kindly remind us how much it is to play online with xbox live again?
I think if you were to buy all the accessories for the 360 that would equate to what the ps3 60gb comes with (including online service fees, wireless adapter, extra hard drive space if they even make larger sizes > 20gb, hd-dvd drive, and whatever else I'm missing), I'd say the ps3 is a great bargain. Maybe not at first glance since it's an all in one package, and people don't really think about what accessories they want to get for a console besides extra controllers and games right away.

But you know there are people with xboxes who have the wireless adapter, the hd-dvd add on, and subscribe to xbox live to play online. That's already $350 extra without taxes. Taking into account sales and discounts/coupons and the like, say maybe $70 for the adapter and $150 for the hd-dvd drive (being very generous here), that's still a good $270 without taxes. $670 for the system + accessories, + tax (in my area, 8.75%) = $724.25

vs.

$652.49 for a ps3 60gb.

and then you have those people who say screw all the extra stuff. $400 for the console it is for me. That's way cheaper than a $500 ps3 20gb. Then you tack on the xbox live, and $50 more for a HD movie drive ain't such a bad price. And if you want, the 360 does come with component cables, which would be an extra $15 for the ps3 (official ps2 ones), or of course you could grab a hdmi cable from monoprice.com for $6 if you have a tv that supports it. Ok ok...and if you want to say that the xbox does come with a wired headset, you can use the bluetooth headset you have for your cellphone. If you don't ...well uh...does the ps3 support standard usb headsets or you gotta get something compatible? I personally never use headsets cuz i'm always watching tv while I play anyway so that's not an issue with me lol

bread's done
Back