20 gigs PS3 deal at GameStop

What Sony should have done is make one without internal HD and use USB drives as external drives. Maybe slower in load time, but definitely faster than DVD drive load time I think.

[quote name='Liquidrmx']you also forgot the 5 free blu ray disc.[/quote]
And? The free Blu Ray discs are included with the 60GB PS3, as well as some actual Sony brand Blu Ray players.

Still not really much of a deal.

[quote name='dbz4ever']What Sony should have done is make one without internal HD and use USB drives as external drives. Maybe slower in load time, but definitely faster than DVD drive load time I think.[/quote]

Or, what they should've done is let people who like to mess with their systems(ie: ME) actually install whatever HDD they wanted(within the specs of the PS3's allowed ones of course).

I mean, they tout that as one of the things you can do with the PS3, install your own HDD, yet they keep coming out with new SKUs with bigger HDDs. I guess those are for the casuals who don't wanna crack open their machines to install the HDDs on their own and risk f'n something up.

That would've shaved a bit off the price, if you just had to plunk in your own HDD, but like everyone else here, I don't see a good deal @ $449, maybe @ $349 but not $50 under the retail of the 60gb.

[quote name='dbz4ever']$50 less for 40 less GB than $500 retail version. I don't see any good in it. =/[/quote]

Not to mention you lose the built in wifi.

Actually, the 20gb was going to be my choice for a PS3, since I don't need the card readers or wi-fi. Now, if only they could've forgone the Blu-Ray and dropped it another $100 by doing so.

Right now, I'm looking for old gen stuff, games for Genesis and Playstation, some of which I had and got rid of and they're now considered 'hard to find/rare'.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Or, what they should've done is let people who like to mess with their systems(ie: ME) actually install whatever HDD they wanted(within the specs of the PS3's allowed ones of course).

I mean, they tout that as one of the things you can do with the PS3, install your own HDD, yet they keep coming out with new SKUs with bigger HDDs. I guess those are for the casuals who don't wanna crack open their machines to install the HDDs on their own and risk f'n something up.

That would've shaved a bit off the price, if you just had to plunk in your own HDD, but like everyone else here, I don't see a good deal @ $449, maybe @ $349 but not $50 under the retail of the 60gb.[/quote]

I see your point. But since most people are not as computer-savvy as us, allowing anyone to crack open the PS3 to install HDD, that would void the warranty, so it's not very marketable. But they can sell special HD sticks for an "bare" system, similar to Xbox.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, the 20gb was going to be my choice for a PS3, since I don't need the card readers or wi-fi. Now, if only they could've forgone the Blu-Ray and dropped it another $100 by doing so.[/quote]

That'd just effectively turn the console into a brick. ALL PS3 media is Blu-Ray.

[quote name='dbz4ever']I see your point. But since most people are not as computer-savvy as us, allowing anyone to crack open the PS3 to install HDD, that would void the warranty, so it's not very marketable. But they can sell special HD sticks for an "bare" system, similar to Xbox.[/quote]It doesn't void the warranty, the PS3 manual has instructions on how to change the drive. It's just a tab, and about 7 screws.

Also, no need for this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144173

[quote name='VWarrior']That'd just effectively turn the console into a brick. ALL PS3 media is Blu-Ray.[/quote]

I think he meant it as Sony not making PS3 consoles/games as BluRay only. I see Sony is trying to use PS3 as an advocate for BluRay technology and trying to change the DVD market, but the result hasn't been so cost effective.

[quote name='dallow']It doesn't void the warranty, the PS3 manual has instructions on how to change the drive. It's just a tab, and about 7 screws.

Also, no need for this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144173[/quote]

lol, I see you trying to advertise your thread =P

Now if only they sell a bare system for $400 and a 10 GB HD for $20, just for booting up OS and loading game saves. That might be marketable. =P

This has to be the worst "deal" I've seen out there in a long time (and it's not just here, Ars Technica had something on it too). If it was just the hard drive capacity, then I could MAYBE see it, but when you add to that the card reader (minor) and WiFi (MAJOR), then the $50 difference isn't worth the "savings." $399...maybe.

[quote name='dbz4ever']I think he meant it as Sony not making PS3 consoles/games as BluRay only. I see Sony is trying to use PS3 as an advocate for BluRay technology and trying to change the DVD market, but the result hasn't been so cost effective.[/quote]
Ahh, I see. I thought he was saying exclude BluRay playback from the 20Gig model. But yeah, it hasn't been cost effective. Sony has ended up in a situation where using the PS3 as Trojan Horse to push Blu-Ray format requires sizeable blows on their part. Thats their own fault. Yeah, the system probably would be $100 cheaper by default, but there is a bit of tradeoff in that BluRay discs are a step forward in modern day game development given the incomparable capacity and read speeds when considering DVDs. And I personally feel the Blu-Ray format is simply a bit superior technology compared to HD-DVD.

Don't get me wrong, the technology bundled with the PS3-specific hardware made for an over-expensive game console (which is why the price had to come down so much so soon). But I do think a $300-$400 PS3 is a deal given whats under the hood. I still think $500 is pushing it but slightly reasonable if you're thinking in terms of how much stand-alone BluRay players costs and you're getting a game console bundled with it.

[quote name='VWarrior']Ahh, I see. I thought he was saying exclude BluRay playback from the 20Gig model. But yeah, it hasn't been cost effective. Sony has ended up in a situation where using the PS3 as Trojan Horse to push Blu-Ray format requires sizeable blows on their part. Thats their own fault. Yeah, the system probably would be $100 cheaper by default, but there is a bit of tradeoff in that BluRay discs are a step forward in modern day game development given the incomparable capacity and read speeds when considering DVDs. And I personally feel the Blu-Ray format is simply a bit superior technology compared to HD-DVD.

Don't get me wrong, the technology bundled with the PS3-specific hardware made for an over-expensive game console. But I do think a $300-$400 PS3 is quite a deal given whats under the hood. I still think $500 is pushing it but slightly reasonable if you're thinking in terms of how much stand-alone BluRay players costs and you're getting a game console bundled with it.[/quote]

Agreed. Sony tried to package the PS3 "one stone kills 2 birds" strategy: competing with other companies in games, and introducing BluRay to the public. But it ended up making the product less marketable due to cost. They should have gone with "divide and conquer" strategy instead.

[quote name='Karyyk']This has to be the worst "deal" I've seen out there in a long time (and it's not just here, Ars Technica had something on it too). If it was just the hard drive capacity, then I could MAYBE see it, but when you add to that the card reader (minor) and WiFi (MAJOR), then the $50 difference isn't worth the "savings." $399...maybe.[/quote]

About the WiFi technology in PS3...is it just a WiFi adaptor built-in? If so, it might have been cheaper to get it without and use an USB WiFi adaptor for $20 if you find it cheap.

[quote name='Karyyk']This has to be the worst "deal" I've seen out there in a long time (and it's not just here, Ars Technica had something on it too). If it was just the hard drive capacity, then I could MAYBE see it, but when you add to that the card reader (minor) and WiFi (MAJOR), then the $50 difference isn't worth the "savings." $399...maybe.[/quote]

lol worst deal? I can top that with Wii available in BB this Sunday =P, same price, limited quality.

[quote name='dbz4ever']$50 less for 40 less GB than $500 retail version. I don't see any good in it. =/[/quote]

Anyone who owns an Xbox 360 knows 20Gb is not close to being big enough

[quote name='tobin']Anyone who owns an Xbox 360 knows 20Gb is not close to being big enough[/quote]

lol. Even Microsoft, themselves know it, hence the existence of 120GB HD/Xbox 360 Elite.

[quote name='VWarrior']Ahh, I see. I thought he was saying exclude BluRay playback from the 20Gig model. But yeah, it hasn't been cost effective. Sony has ended up in a situation where using the PS3 as Trojan Horse to push Blu-Ray format requires sizeable blows on their part. Thats their own fault. Yeah, the system probably would be $100 cheaper by default, but there is a bit of tradeoff in that BluRay discs are a step forward in modern day game development given the incomparable capacity and read speeds when considering DVDs. And I personally feel the Blu-Ray format is simply a bit superior technology compared to HD-DVD.

Don't get me wrong, the technology bundled with the PS3-specific hardware made for an over-expensive game console (which is why the price had to come down so much so soon). But I do think a $300-$400 PS3 is a deal given whats under the hood. I still think $500 is pushing it but slightly reasonable if you're thinking in terms of how much stand-alone BluRay players costs and you're getting a game console bundled with it.[/quote]

But again, the same argument I use every time when mentioning why I feel the PS3 is so expensive. It's all the extra stuff that many(not all) won't use.

I have high speed internet, yet no desire to play online, so the online adapter could've also been cut out for me, same with WiFi and the memory card readers, since I don't have any need for either of them.

I know you have to DL updates for the PS3 via the net usually(unless Sony provides a disc like I think MS does if you can't DL the updates), but for the net surfing, I have my computer. So, the web surfing ability is also a negative for me.

Plus, I only paid $300 for my first PS2 less than a decade ago, so a 100% jump is just too steep for my liking, no matter what's 'under the hood'.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But again, the same argument I use every time when mentioning why I feel the PS3 is so expensive. It's all the extra stuff that many(not all) won't use.

I have high speed internet, yet no desire to play online, so the online adapter could've also been cut out for me, same with WiFi and the memory card readers, since I don't have any need for either of them.

I know you have to DL updates for the PS3 via the net usually(unless Sony provides a disc like I think MS does if you can't DL the updates), but for the net surfing, I have my computer. So, the web surfing ability is also a negative for me.

Plus, I only paid $300 for my first PS2 less than a decade ago, so a 100% jump is just too steep for my liking, no matter what's 'under the hood'.[/quote]

I agree with you, the features are as good as how useful to each individual. Some like all in one. Some just want gaming console.

[quote name='tobin']Anyone who owns an Xbox 360 knows 20Gb is not close to being big enough[/QUOTE]

It was just fine for me, plus the Playstation 3 is easily upgradeable if you want to.

I'd much rather have this version, save $50 and it looks better. Only catch is by the time you add shipping and tax, it's the same price as elsewhere, and I can't use my Gamestop credit.

I also have a 360 and I don't have a problem with 20gb's of space...unless your're downloading movies and tv shows and crap like that...if you need music, plug your ipod in or stream from your computer, no reason to put 20gbs of music or videos or anything on there

bread's done
Back