20% off Criterions at Best Buy (Exp 9/9)

[quote name='Maklershed']What's with the reference stuff before the actual Best Buy link?
[/QUOTE]

no clue. copied it from dvdtalk. I'll try to fix it.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']What's the deal with Criterion DVDs anyways? I know there's extra features, but why are some of them $35-40? That's insane.[/QUOTE]

A lot of it has to do with the quality of the transfer. Criterions are typically the best version of the dvd you can buy. They also usually have the best extras and commentaries. Last but not least, they have a spine number. I think those are the major reasons people like them.

I've been wanting the Fear and Loathing DVD for a long time now. I'll probably wait for the DDD.com 20% off sale, since after taxes/shipping, that will be the better deal.

[quote name='6669']I've been wanting the Fear and Loathing DVD for a long time now. I'll probably wait for the DDD.com 20% off sale, since after taxes/shipping, that will be the better deal.[/QUOTE]

Assuming everything is the same, $29.99 for the DVD at DDD this november, you would only be saving a couple bucks by waiting. If you want the dvd I say go for it. It's one of the few where the price is comparable to the DDD sale.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']What's the deal with Criterion DVDs anyways? I know there's extra features, but why are some of them $35-40? That's insane.[/QUOTE]

The majority of the movies they release are classics or foreign films that you can only get through them. They're expensive cause they actually put a TON of work into their dvds and they're a pretty small company.

[quote name='munch']A lot of it has to do with the quality of the transfer. Criterions are typically the best version of the dvd you can buy. They also usually have the best extras and commentaries. Last but not least, they have a spine number. I think those are the major reasons people like them.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah it does... and this matters for those who view DVD's on large screens. The transfer quality is much better, picture crisper, and colors more vibrant than standard DVD's.

For example.. Spartacus. If you can find it, there's an old version of it floating around. Compare it to the Criterion. Huge difference.

Also, in my opinion, the sound is of better quality. That's probably a perspective kind of thing, but it is to me. The only comparisons I have been able to make are the Clerks DVD vs. Criterion Clerks, DVD Spartacus vs. Criterion Spartacus, Fear and Loathing LV DVD vs. Criterion FaLLV, and TV Seven Samurai vs. Criterion Seven Samurai (of course it's black and white, so color wouldn't be a factor.. but the picture seemed sharper).

I'm using the 360 for DVD's on a Samsung 46" 720p DLP, so I haven't bought an upconverting DVD player (which doesn't do much if the transfer quality was poor on a DVD in the first place).

[quote name='Skylander7']
Also, in my opinion, the sound is of better quality. That's probably a perspective kind of thing, but it is to me. The only comparisons I have been able to make are the Clerks DVD vs. Criterion Clerks, DVD Spartacus vs. Criterion Spartacus, Fear and Loathing LV DVD vs. Criterion FaLLV, and TV Seven Samurai vs. Criterion Seven Samurai (of course it's black and white, so color wouldn't be a factor.. but the picture seemed sharper).

QUOTE]

I agree one-hundred percent abou the sound. And have you seen the new transfer for Seven Samurai? :drool: B&W does make a difference. A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

My order shipped from BB, but they used shitty as UPS mail innovations. I'll post back in 2 months when I actually get the DVD. :)

[quote name='Skylander7']The only comparisons I have been able to make are the Clerks DVD vs. Criterion Clerks.[/QUOTE]

There is no Criterion edition of Clerks. The only Kevin Smith film on Criterion is Chasing Amy.

[quote name='brodiemash']There is no Criterion edition of Clerks. The only Kevin Smith film on Criterion is Chasing Amy.[/QUOTE]

You're right, it's Chasing Amy.. I knew I had seen one Kevin Smith Crieterion before when a friend brought it over, but couldn't remember off the top of my head. I've never bought the Criterion Chasing Amy though, as I've got the regular DVD.

I dunno.. for some reason I thought Clerks had a Criterion release. I stand corrected :)

[quote name='Skylander7']You're right, it's Chasing Amy.. I knew I had seen one Kevin Smith Crieterion before when a friend brought it over, but couldn't remember off the top of my head. I've never bought the Criterion Chasing Amy though, as I've got the regular DVD.

I dunno.. for some reason I thought Clerks had a Criterion release. I stand corrected :)[/QUOTE]

What? As far as I know, the criterion version is the ONLY version. It's a single disc in a white case? It's a lot cheaper than most of theirs, cause it's a modern, popular movie (they do that sometimes, like they had exclusive rights to the royal tenenbaums and the life aquatic and thus produced more and sold them for cheaper).

Is this an in-store deal or do you have to order online?

[quote name='munch']Assuming everything is the same, $29.99 for the DVD at DDD this november, you would only be saving a couple bucks by waiting. If you want the dvd I say go for it. It's one of the few where the price is comparable to the DDD sale.[/QUOTE]
A couple of bucks is a lot for a cheapass like me ;)

bread's done
Back