20% off HD-DVD & Blu-Ray players. Maybe ps3?

matt1987

CAG Veteran
I got this in the mail today
On the back it says excludes pioneer elite, xbox 360 hd-dvd player, all hd-dvd and blu ray computer drives, special order, clearence, demo, and open box items.

It doesnt say excludes ps3. Im in the market for a ps3. Think it will work?

[quote name='matt1987']I just called 1-800-best-buy and they said I am allowed to use it on the ps3. Hopefully it works[/quote]
It used to work when they refused me to use coupon. I told them that I called 1-800-Best-Buy. Then, they let me use it.

Credit goes to DonnieZ from Blu-Ray!

[quote name='DonnieZ']Hi All..

New to this forum (First post!) but I wanted to chime in on this thread as I've been lurking it since I got my BB Reward Zone coupons earlier this week.

I've been eyeing the PS3 as my "tax time toy" for a couple of weeks now. Usually when the RZ coupons show up I know what they are, it's the same deal all the time. 10%, 12%, and 10 or 15% off of 3 titles. This time I couldn't believe it when I saw 20% off of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players. I knew it was meant to be when I read the back of the coupon.

Me being impatient as I am, I went into Best Buy at about 8:30 tonight to see if I could just pass the coupon. I also knew I wouldn't have a chance to get to BB until tomrrow night and if they should have decided to pass a corporate memo stating that the coupon is not good for the PS3, I wanted to be ahead of the curve. Well, the cashier scanned it and it came up with a $0.00 discount. She read it and said "Well, it's not really a Blu-Ray player, it's a console that plays Blu-Rays."

I pointed out the specific exclusions of the Xbox and how the coupon did not exclude video game hardware or the PS3 by name. She called a manager and by the time he came over she discovered that the coupon wasn't valid until tomorrow. I said I'd come back, but the manager was already there. I explained it all again to him and he said "Yeah, it's not good on the PS3." I pointed out how it said "ALL Blu-Ray players" and that the PS3 is clearly being sold as a Blu-Ray player, as it comes with a movie in the box.

He radioed over to someone, walked away, came back and manually put the discount through at 20%!! I asked him if the coupon was good for the PS3, and he said "It's not, but I'm doing it anyway."

So..............

I got a 40GB PS3 for $319.99, the 5 free Blu-Ray disc rebate, and my RZ credits worth at least $5.

Not too shabby of a deal.Just be persistent and point out the fine print's inclusions and exclusions.

Hopefully I have a much better HD movie experience than I have with my Toshiba HD-A3. Just about every HD-DVD I've put in the thing has had to be taken out and cleaned in the middle of the movie, as the movie will freeze for a minute then start playing again. Too bad it's now it's pretty much resigned to being associated with technologies such as "Beta", "MD", and "Divx." I haven't even received my 5 free HD-DVDs by mail yet! (I bought it on Black Friday.)

Hopefully I live long enough to take it out of the box tomorrow night.. My fiance is out in the living room fuming right now. I got the "I didn't actually think you were going to buy it..." line when I brought it in. :p[/QUOTE]

We have 1 success from Blu-Ray member and also, he's a new member! :applause:

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Credit goes to DonnieZ from Blu-Ray!

We have 1 success from Blu-Ray member and also, he's a new member! :applause:[/quote]

It will be so slim.. not even YMMV takes place for this deal.

The ps3 is VG hardware.. not a blu ray player.

The managers here in ohio would never allow this. -_-V

I cant see BB doing this (especially after that stupid toy fiasco 25 percent off)

THeyd lose money on this deal -_-V

AND HOW DID HE GET THE DEAL TO WORK?

COUPON ISNT VALID TIL THE 25TH!!

I think its bullshit -_-V

We have 1 success from Blu-Ray member and also, he's a new member! :applause:[/quote]
Oh!! I hope I get one because my RZ has double point.

a reciept would be nice.

I think at 10:00am im going to call and just ask to speak with the manager and say "Is the playstation 3 a blu-ray player?" if they say yes i am going to ask for his name and then buy a ps3 with the coupon and if they have a problem bring up that the manager told me it was a blu ray player so they have to give it to me. Then go back tomorrow and return my new ps3 with the 29 day reciept. Think it will work?

[quote name='Duncann']Wonder if this coupon will work with the $100 off offer you get with a new Sony Card.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts EXACTLY!

Hey just a little glimpse of hope for your battle guys....

PS3 is included in the $100 off a blu ray player for home theater HD advantage so there is no reason this shouldnt work with the coupon(if you use it during the dates its supposed to be used).

So if you get turned down for it not being a blu ray player, simply point out to them that it would not be included in the HD Advantage if it wasnt classified as a blu ray player. If they battle you on that, then tell them to ring up an HD advantage sale and see the $100 come off when the ps3 is added. I dont think it should get to that though because i have a good feeling the coupon will work.

Either way, Good luck :)

Just got back from my local bestbuy. Spoke to two managers neither would discount it. So I called 1-800-bestbuy, and a guy told me to fax him my reciept and he would send me a check for 20%.

I called the 1-888-Best-Buy number and they told me it should work as it doesn't excluse game hardware, although if the store didn't accept it they would send me a gift card for the discount difference. I even have a case number to refernce if the store questions this.

I know you have no reason to trust a long time lurker with no posts, but I had success on my lunch hour and wanted to share.

I casually asked the floor-walker if the coupon applied to a PS3 and he said "it looks like it should". His boss and his boss's boss tried it, but it didn't ring up by default at the register. The manager did a manual override and let me apply the coupon. The staff at lunch time is VERY eager to help. I got the 40gb for $320. :applause:

Also, after my visit I can confirm they no longer have the 80gb. The floor guy said they won't carry them any more "for some reason". The spot for it next to the 40gb underneath of the games had been replaced by a stand alone 3rd party GH/RB guitar.

Assuming this coupon will work with a PS3, if I bought a new one within the last 30 days and bring in the receipt, do you think they will refund that?

Sounds like it's going to be up to the manager in each case. Just make the argument that it isn't excluded on the coupon and that the 1-888-Best-Buy line says it will work towards a PS3 and you should be fine.

I plan to try this after work today if any of my stores have an 80GB in stock.

It's amazing how Best Buy just continues to botch these coupons and programs... it's unreal. Who are they paying over there to do this job?

I bought a PS3 from BB 3 weeks ago, I'm gonna try to bring the receipt in with the coupon and get a giftcard or credit. I just wish I had an original coupon, it's gonna be tough with a scan.

I just bought the 40g on the 21st of this month and got the damn coupon the other day. Would my best bet be to simply call 1.888.BestBuy and hope they help me out?

think i just got a good deal on the a-35

i ordered online for instore pick up, took them an 30 mins to not find it, got $25 gift card

they found out they just opened one to put on the floor they could sell me, so i got 20% off, then another 20% off for the coupon, except they took the 20% off of the $300 both times

so i ended up with a-35 + zodiac + white noise 2 + 2 in box + 5 MIR (which the cashier said i should get in 5-6 days ha) for $165.84

Anyone have a good scan of this? I'd like to pick up the HD DVD player. I have a ton of gift cards and it would come up to about $5 (!!) if I got the 20% off.

-Ian

[quote name='chris owns u']I think at 10:00am im going to call and just ask to speak with the manager and say "Is the playstation 3 a blu-ray player?" if they say yes i am going to ask for his name and then buy a ps3 with the coupon and if they have a problem bring up that the manager told me it was a blu ray player so they have to give it to me. Then go back tomorrow and return my new ps3 with the 29 day reciept. Think it will work?[/quote]

They have serial number on receipt.

[quote name='riccaboni']Anyone have a good scan of this? I'd like to pick up the HD DVD player. I have a ton of gift cards and it would come up to about $5 (!!) if I got the 20% off.

-Ian[/quote]

The 360 HD-DVD add-on is specifically excluded.

[quote name='dvdguy']The 360 HD-DVD add-on is specifically excluded.[/QUOTE]

I know. I don't even own an XBox 360. I just want the standalone Toshiba for $150. 9 free movies + kind of ok player for $5 after discounts/giftcards I didn't wat = steal.

[quote name='riccaboni']Anyone have a good scan of this? I'd like to pick up the HD DVD player. I have a ton of gift cards and it would come up to about $5 (!!) if I got the 20% off.

-Ian[/QUOTE]
There is a better scan on SD

The 1-888 help line told me to call the store. I did, and they said it's for "standalone players" only. Lame. I think you could argue and make a scene to get someone to override it, but I don't feel like being manipulative or a jerk today.

A little off topic but a question:

I haven't been recieving any coupons, Is this because I have it set to email me rewards? If I set it to mail rewards, would I get the rewards AND coupons every so often?

[quote name='ep2011']A little off topic but a question:

I haven't been recieving any coupons, Is this because I have it set to email me rewards? If I set it to mail rewards, would I get the rewards AND coupons every so often?[/quote]

Regardless you set to get your reward by email or mail. They still send the coupon via mail

I found 80GB in my area. They refused to use 20% coupon. I'll try again tomorrow. (Woodbridge, VA)

So I never received this dang coupon....I never receive the good ones...I just get the 10/12% ones...

But I put a wanted add on Craigslist last night, received an email with a lady who wasn't going to use them, and picked up a coupon this morning....and proceeded to my local best buy....where they were out of the 80 GB PS3!!

So the guy looked it up, and a store about 30 mins away said they had 59 of them...0_o (I only saw 2 on the very, very empty shelves)

So I went and bought one, and got 20%...I got a little static from the guy, but I pointed out that it didn't exclude the PS3 in any way...and told him I had call the 1-888-BESTBUY and they said I could use it (I actually did call them)...he scanned the coupon and it didn't work, but he just did an override and bam...

80 GB PS3 @ 420.00 (including tax)

Much better than 540.00 ...

sweeeeeeeet

Good luck,!
(Just call the 1-888-BESTBUY, they can't refuse to honor the coupon, the guy on the phone even said if there's a problem, I could call the number from the store....)

It's too bad that no Best Buys within 70+ miles of me have an 80GB model. I ended up buying an 80GB model at Target, and to what I understand, they don't do any price matching. I know they wouldn't price match their $60 Assassins Creed when it dropped to $40...

Do you think they gonna do it for me? I have $285 RZ Gift Certificate and $100 BB GC. Can anyone who bought 80GB give me SKU or copy of receipt?

I tried using the coupon in Burnsville,mn and no luck with the coupon. If the case number I have with the consumer affairs doesn't pan out I'll take it back and use the sony card offer.

Just got back from Best Buy. Went to the bluray player section, and they have a disclaimer posted stating that thr Reward Zone coupon which didn't exclude the PS3 now excludes the PS3, sorry for any trouble this may have caused. Guess this is how you treat a RZ Member since when you used to have to pay 10 bucks a year for it. I'll wait until Jan 28 when the drop the price of the PS3 to $299

[quote name='darkhawkmark']Just got back from Best Buy. Went to the bluray player section, and they have a disclaimer posted stating that thr Reward Zone coupon which didn't exclude the PS3 now excludes the PS3, sorry for any trouble this may have caused. Guess this is how you treat a RZ Member since when you used to have to pay 10 bucks a year for it. I'll wait until Jan 28 when the drop the price of the PS3 to $299[/quote]

wahhh... I've been a RZ member for forever too and I don't expected to be treated differently.

Hmm...anyone know how I can get the coupons? I am a RZ member but I did not get either of the coupon mailings in Jan. The 10/12% 2 weeks ago or the 20% HD/BD one for this weekend. What's up with that? I used to get mailings. I got the 10/12% ones back in Nov. and the special event mailing back in Nov. too. Why didn't I get these?

For what its worth I filed a complaint with the bbb . I think everyone who got this coupon (and some who didn't haha) should do this .

Enough complaints and best buy will be forced to honor it .

[quote name='gljvd']For what its worth I filed a complaint with the bbb . I think everyone who got this coupon (and some who didn't haha) should do this .

Enough complaints and best buy will be forced to honor it .[/QUOTE]

No they won't.

[quote name='rodeojones903']No they won't.[/quote]

actually because of complaints its federal law that stores have to list a minimum of items in their fliers . Enough people complained about the lieing that a DA created a case against the B&M stores

A friend of mine got shot down, for the PS3. So I had him call the Best buy 888 number, and they told him to buy it, fax the receipt with his case number, and they would send him a check for the difference.

He said the 2 managers did not even want to try, basically ignoring him and the coupon.

Last follow up. I'm getting the customer relations to refund the 20% off back to my creadit card. The woman that helped didn't even argue, she just said I'll get it done. Now I'm just waiting for the refund to appear on my statement.

Good luck to everyone.

I sent an email last night to Best Buy's Reward Zone website, and complained knowing it wouldn't get resolved. It said they would respond in 24 hours. Well just got an email today saying due to high volume, it would now be 48 hours, effectivly moving their non answer to past the coupons expiration date. Nice move Best Buy.

Tried it at my bestbuy said we can't change it manually and it doesn't show up so it is not a blu ray player. Best Buy employee's are so stupid.

Had no problem getting the 20% off a 40GB PS3 in Milford, MA. Cashier saw that it didn't ring up, read the coupon carefully and agreed that it did not exclude the PS3. She then just entered the 20% off manually.

bread's done
Back