20% off videogames for NW Ohio Voters.

Damnit, I have one of those stickers...it's jsut about 400 miles away form Athens OH. If only I could order online with a shipping address in OH. Man, that'd be sweet.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think we can safely say this is a limited offer and YMMV? :D[/quote]

I'd say so. :lol:

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']Isnt it illegal to offer incentives to vote?[/quote]

yea it is. That is why Republicans were bitching about Micheal Moore a few weeks ago

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Limpbizkit182521']Isnt it illegal to offer incentives to vote?[/quote]

yea it is. That is why Republicans were bitching about Micheal Moore a few weeks ago[/quote]

That what I was thinking of. Didnt he give them like food?

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Limpbizkit182521']Isnt it illegal to offer incentives to vote?[/quote]

yea it is. That is why Republicans were bitching about Micheal Moore a few weeks ago[/quote]

That what I was thinking of. Didnt he give them like food?[/quote]

food and other things like underwear.

Micheal Moore is a biased loser IMO. People should vote because they want to. Everyone should vote but on their own will without incentives.

[quote name='int80h']
Isnt it illegal to offer incentives to vote?

States are alowed to set their own laws regarding this. For example, its illegal in Florida, but legal in California.[/quote]

...and in Ohio? :)

Ohio Revised Code §3599.01 states that no person shall "give, lend, offer, procure or promise to give, lend offer, or procure any money, office, position, place or employment, influence or any other valuable consideration to or for a delegate, elector, or other person." Likewise, it is forbidden for a person to "advance, pay, or cause to be paid or procure or offer to procure money or other valuable thing to or for the use of another, with the intent that it or part of thereof shall be used to induce such person to vote or to refrain from voting." These code sections provide state-enforced penalties against illegal inducement to vote and are valid in all elections.

I think depending on how you read that law, that people who give out coffee, tea, etc. to voters (or hell even stickers that say I voted) are breaking that law. On the other hand I'm pretty sure the government would only care if it was "20% off if you Vote for Kerry" or something along those lines.

Eh, isn't that more in line regarding a single person/entity directly influencing another? Like,an employer holding a bonus unless you go vote? I don't really know, but I do know that I'm not in Toledo, so that sucks.

"In Ohio, for example, pre-election advertising of a raffle giving away a Playstation Gaming System, in exchange for voting, would most likely leave the promoters of the raffle criminally liable for illegal inducement to vote. The promise, even of the chance to win the game system, would be adequate consideration to qualify as an illegal inducement."

I'm pulling this all from this article...

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw/campaign_getout02.html

From what I gather, it doesn't matter if you are telling them to vote for a specific candidate, as long as you are giving them special benefits for voting it's illegal here (Ohio).

Read the article, it explains everything.

Reality's Fringe said:
Damnit, I have one of those stickers...it's jsut about 400 miles away form Athens OH. If only I could order online with a shipping address in OH. Man, that'd be sweet.
Wait... there's another CAG in Athens? Are you going to OU?

Oh yeah, that's right... shouldn't it be illegal, then, to give away those "I voted!" stickers as they could be counted as an incentive to vote? :lol:

It looks like you guys are going to decide who is the next prez is. Go Bush! Hows the selection at VGU? And hell no, there is no way im singing for any percent off any game.

bread's done
Back