2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray @ AMAZON.COM: Now only $8.99!

Seasick Pirate

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
This weekend I had 2001 in my cart for 9.99 and never got around to placing the order. Today I find the price dropped 50¢ so picked it up with a few other Kubrick films.
=
PRICE REDUCTION UPDATE
Amazon's price is now $8.99.
Even i you don't like the film, if you own a Blu Ray player, there is no reason you shouldn't own this disc at this price.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great deal on a great movie. I would pick that up, but I got it the HD-DVD version for around the same price. I wonder if 2010 will drop sometime soon?

Excellent deal! I bought this when it was on sale for $10.99, and felt that was as good of a price as I could hope for on Blu-ray.

Great deal on a good disk. The video quality is unreal! Some of those FX shots are so hard to believe they weren't done without computers (Obviously this film was made in the 60s some 20 years before the microprocessor). Seriously the FX are way better than the first 3 star wars film and the cinematography is some of the best ever shot.

[quote name='Sk']Great deal on a good disk. The video quality is unreal! Some of those FX shots are so hard to believe they weren't done without computers (Obviously this film was made in the 60s some 20 years before the microprocessor). Seriously the FX are way better than the first 3 star wars film and the cinematography is some of the best ever shot.[/QUOTE]

20 years? What alternate reality are you living in? Microprocessors were available in the early seventies...

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']So you decided to make a thread over a $0.50 price drop?

This has already been posted too btw.[/QUOTE]

And you decided to bump it? What's wrong with you? Link to previous thread please? Compared to the $25 Best Buy wants to charge you, yes, I would say Amazon's 50¢ drop is worth noting.
_

I have already been able to watch this and have to say it was amazing! I did a DVD comparison switching back and forth between PS3 and SDVD player, and the differences between this and the last DVD they release, it's incredible. I'd say this is a must-have for everyone.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']And you decided to bump it? What's wrong with you? Link to previous thread please? Compared to the $25 Best Buy wants to charge you, yes, I would say Amazon's 50¢ drop is worth noting.[/QUOTE]

Compared to BB, yes, it's a great deal. Compared to the 9.99-10.99 this his been on Amazon for the past 3 months (which has been mentioned numerous times in this forum) this is nothing special.

However, 9.49 or 10.99, however long it's been that price, it's still a great deal overall and has a great transfer and worth buying for those who somehow haven't already known this.

[quote name='Sk']Seriously the FX are way better than the first 3 star wars film.[/quote]

While 2001 is one of the grand daddy's of sci-fi films you can't take away what Lucasfilm pulled off with the original Star Wars trilogy. There's quite a bit of ground breaking work they did back then. Its too bad George Lucas himself has forgotten that. If he had his way he would mutilate 2001 into a modern CGI fest complete with....
the monkeys at the beginning are now all CGI with "added facial and body expressions", added noise sound effects when ships are moving in space, laser beams* shooting from the shuttle craft when Dr. Poole is killed, turn the Jupiter & Beyond sequence into an CGI acid trip fest, edit and butcher the pacing of the film into a fast paced action film completely killing the intent of the slowness adding into how life in space is portrayed, and change the ending of the film where the Star Child is now played by some weird morphed version of Hayden Christensen when he was a baby.

Oh, and all the ships and what not is now replaced with CGI models that move at hyper speed. Heck just everything in the film outside of the actors is now replaced with CGI. In fact by the time Lucas is done editing the film it barely resembles 2001.

*For comedy effects you can even imagine it being killer sharks with laser beams!

and the cinematography is some of the best ever shot.

I still feel Kubrick's best cinematography is Barry Lyndon. Too bad we'll never see that released on Blu-Ray.

bread's done
Back