2009 MLB Discussion Thread

[quote name='Filbert']It's painful to even watch Indians highlights anymore.[/QUOTE]

At least they're not going to lose 100 games...

Still, hoping Wedge gets fired.

Well I wrote that before they swept Baltimore, who are even worse off it seems. It just get's me that a smaller market team like the Indians builds for contention for years, and for the Indians the peak of that building process was coming a game away from the World Series. I was at the last game they won against Boston and the atmosphere was amazing. It's a shame that it was all down hill from there.

Yep, that makes it tough. 3 games back with 5 to play. So they have to win out (possible with 1 more against Florida and 4 against the nats all at home) and hope for the Rockies to go 2-3 or 1-4. But that's pretty unlikely. The Brewer's aren't great and the Dodgers will likely have home field wrapped up and be resting people.

I thought they'd keep him, just to save money since he's under contract for next year. I guess Shapiro is looking for a coaching change to save his job.

Looks like the last couple spots are wrapped up. Sure, anything can still happen, but Rockies are up 8-5 right now in the 7th, and the Braves lost again to the fish.

Plus, twins needed to win tonight and failed. A loss again tomorrow, and they're officially out.

fuck MY LIFE!

This organization really knows how to handle injured players huh. Sure let Jose Reyes run the bases....rush him back in the most meaningless season ever. So he has a new tear in his hammy and now that will for sure mess him the fuck up. When will this stupid, fucking, idiotic,piece of shit, poor excuse for rudy poo, brainless, clueless, douchebags, bitches, asses, and what all the other insults that will be tied to this piece of shit organization forever. can fucking freddy wilpon get some fucking baseball intelligence and figure out that its useless to bring this player back and rest him up for next season? The med staff cant be this fucking clueless can it? i just wonder who in the right fucking mind cleared Jose to run the bases....Now if he sucks next season, his option won't get picked up, and we mishandled a premier player. go fuck yourselves 2009 NY Mets...here is hoping for at least a respectable finish next year. and hoping that starts with the firing of Minaya and the med staff.

Apologies for the rant mates, but getting swept by the natties, playing the worse defensive baseball since the mets started playing in 1962, and than screwing up Reyes was the icing on the cake for my frustrations.

Oh well, Braves made a heck of a run to get back into it. But they're done now at 4 games back with 4 to play. They could well sweep the Nats, but the Rockies aren't going 0-4.

Now to get set for next year. Pay roll will be an issue with ownership wanting to cut payroll back somemore. Chipper isn't retiring, so a pitcher will likely have to be moved--probably Hudson or Lowe.

And they just absolutely have to find some power and speed. Too many games lost this year from not having a slugger to drive in close runs, having no speed and thus no way to move runners to scoring position with a sacrifice etc.

Anyone have a MLB.TV account they won't be using this morning. >:]

I'd like to watch Haren/Lincecum but it won't be televised here unfortunately.

[quote name='speedracer']I came to bitch about the Dodgers. Yea, you got bigger problems. I can't believe they fucked up Reyes.

Yikes dude. That sucks.[/QUOTE]

ya tell me about it. its one thing after another and knowing that there is nothing that can fix this situation since Freddy Coupon got dissed by Bernie Madoff...he is going in to ultra super saver mode. i cant blame him but he stands to lose even more money with the new stadium which goes along with the current team's performance. They are a lot of empty seats now. I hope management sees that. So with that said, the Mets aren't going to bring in anyone to really make an impact. They will probably bring in more Fernando Tatis, Corey Sullivan, Alex Cora type level players who are past their primes and love hitting in to double plays. and then there is the pitching lol. Ah, as Kieth Hernandez said, "I give up, this is disgusting"

[quote name='dmaul1114']And the Rockies win this afternoon to clinch the wild card. NL West[/QUOTE]

Fixed...according to ESPN

[quote name='yukine']Anyone have a MLB.TV account they won't be using this morning. >:]

I'd like to watch Haren/Lincecum but it won't be televised here unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

And when you steal someone's credit card info then what?

Well, looks like the only thing left for me this year is to hope somebody eliminates the Phillies from the playoffs.

[quote name='wildcpac']And when you steal someone's credit card info then what?[/QUOTE]
Paranoid much? What am I going to do with the last four digits of a credit card? And anyone who is that paranoid to begin with wouldn't have their info saved in the first place. :roll:

Anyway, not like I missed anything... Haren got smacked around pretty bad.

I'm hoping that both the Yankees and Red Sox don't make it to the World Series. Not that I don't like them, I'm bored to see one or both of them in the post season every year.

I am hoping for a Freeway World Series. (Dodgers vs. Angels)

Soon, I hope the MLB adapts the playoff system the NFL has. Two more teams from each league respectively while the top team from the NL and AL takes a first round bye. 3-5-7-7 rounds would be nice.

I hope that somewhat bad start for Greinke doesn't blow his Cy Young chances in the AL. He deserves it despite playing on a crappy team.

As far as the playoffs go I guess I'd like to see an Angels Rockies World Series. It's hard to watch any of it with the Cubs out and the Cards in. I'd like to see the Cards, Yanks, and Sox eliminated in the first round.

[quote name='yukine']I love when the D-backs play against the Cubs, they actually look like a solid club when they play them. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you're right... :cry:

I'll be interested to see what the Cubs do with Milton Bradley next year. They either have to bring that malcontent back or cut him and just eat his contract.

[quote name='TC']Unfortunately the Tigers haven't cloned Verlander.[/QUOTE]

They don't use him today, probably no Tuesday game.

I really hope this is a quick, pitchers dual, that way either team is somewhat "fresh" and ready to take on the Yankees. I, for one, think it would be funny, if the Twins won, to see Pavano pitch against and dominate that Yankees. Since he did very little of either for them. That, as a Sox fan, would be hilarious.

Ignoring the fallacy of the predetermined outcome for a moment, can you imagine the seasons Mauer and A-Rod would have had if they didn't each miss a month and to the start the season at that?

Miguel Cabrera was drunk as fuck, out all night before Saturday's game with WHITE SOX players and then got beat by his wife?

:rofl:

I hope the Twins kick the shit outta Detroit tomorrow.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Ignoring the fallacy of the predetermined outcome for a moment, can you imagine the seasons Mauer and A-Rod would have had if they didn't each miss a month and to the start the season at that?[/QUOTE]
Mauer I can see, but even if you give arod another 10 homers and 20 rbi's he is in the same number area at his teamate, texeria. Arod had a solid season, but for the money he makes and the numbers he used to put up, imo it was an off year BA wise and with the amount of runners on base when he gets up, IMO he should have had more RBI's this season.

[quote name='ryanbph']Mauer I can see, but even if you give arod another 10 homers and 20 rbi's he is in the same number area at his teamate, texeria. Arod had a solid season, but for the money he makes and the numbers he used to put up, imo it was an off year BA wise and with the amount of runners on base when he gets up, IMO he should have had more RBI's this season.[/QUOTE]

this is now crunch time for him too. He has a great lineup 1-9 and he will have men on base during the playoffs. there is no excuse for him now not to perform.

Disgusted with the Mets Press Conference. So how many chances do manuel and minaya get to "right the ship"? before you know there won't be any ship to right. It was sinking since 06.

anyway my worst fear and nightmare could be reality which but half of that was realized when minaya and manuel were kept.....If bobby valentine coaches the marlins, ill cut off my right leg and beat myself to death with it. i just hope Olney's rumors aren't true. The one guy who the mets never should have fired..and now he possibly can go to a division foe. ugh! FMT if this happens.

[quote name='ryanbph']Mauer I can see, but even if you give arod another 10 homers and 20 rbi's he is in the same number area at his teamate, texeria. Arod had a solid season, but for the money he makes and the numbers he used to put up, imo it was an off year BA wise and with the amount of runners on base when he gets up, IMO he should have had more RBI's this season.[/QUOTE]

Couple of things.

1. The Yankees were 13-15 to start the season without Arod. They were 90-44 once Arod came back.

2. Arod's first 40 games or so was pretty much his spring training. His batting average was in the low .200's, all he did was walk or hit a home run every now and then. He came back from his injury too soon and needed time off here and there over the course of the season.

3. Teixeria started off the season in a huge slump. His numbers didn't pick up until Arod came back.

Arod from July 1st to October

18 Homeruns, 61 RBI's, .316 Batting Average in 77 games.

For a typical 162 game season that would be 40 homeruns, 130 rbi's and a .316 batting average.

Arod missed a ton of games and was injured for a ton more. He put up better #'s than his 2004, 2006, 2008 seasons with the Yankees.

I freaking hate the MLB, the reigning world series champs play at 2:37 eastern time on wed and thurs, how the hell could anyone who def cares in Philly area or Colorado watch a game that early. Just shows how much they care about tv instead of the game itself.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I freaking hate the MLB, the reigning world series champs play at 2:37 eastern time on wed and thurs, how the hell could anyone who def cares in Philly area or Colorado watch a game that early. Just shows how much they care about tv instead of the game itself.[/QUOTE]

Because LA is a larger media market. The late game is going to be played in LA and the late afternoon game is either going to be played in Anaheim or in NY.

[quote name='wildcpac']Because LA is a larger media market. The late game is going to be played in LA and the late afternoon game is either going to be played in Anaheim or in NY.[/QUOTE]

Well if they weren't all on TBS, it would probably be easier to work out a schedule. Hate tv rights contracts.

[quote name='manthing']Let's go Twins![/QUOTE]

I'm a die hard chicago fan, but I'm rooting for the Twins today to!

Edit my mistake I looke aty iPhone as was getting my 2 year old ready for the shower and thought I saw the game was over

and as for the first 2 months for Arod being spring training I call BS. Pre and post all star break he had more homers in the first half. He had equal RBI numbers and he missed a lot in the first half. As for his ba he hit .260 his first month back and then dropped over 40points in the 2nd month. His numbers wouldn't have been all that much better then the numbers I thought. I still feel for arod it was an off year and for what you are paying you should expect and get more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of hoping it ends soon. I'm putting off dinner until it ends. And it's 9:41 right now. Safe to say, I'm pretty damn hungry.

Wow! my heart goes out to Tiger Fans. I know how exactly you guys must feel right now.....

The Twinkies though...wow! Im sure this time they will give the Yankees a run for their money. Their Offense has been on fire ever since Morneau went down. Playoff Baseball is going to be real interesting.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Wow! my heart goes out to Tiger Fans. I know how exactly you guys must feel right now.....[/QUOTE]

I'd hate to say it, but when they said the Tigers were up 7 in September, the first thing I thought of was a repeat of the Mets.

bread's done
Back