2009 Racketboy.com Charity Auction - Call for Donations - **LAST DAY TO DONATE**

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsheinem

CAGiversary!
Feedback
136 (100%)
Hey fellow CAGs!

I am a moderator over on the racketboy.com forums, and we are gearing up for a charity auction that starts next week and benefits the National Association for Children of Alcoholics. The auction will essentially be a charity lowball auction (though we don't use that terminology there), and we are currently looking for donations of items for the sale.

Even if you don't want to join the racketboy forums but are interested in donating a few items, let me know via PM here on CAG. Of course if you do join the forums you'll also be able to bid on items...

In any case, here's the post from the racketboy forums with all the relevant details (http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17503):

----------
For the second straight year, racketboy.com forum members will have an opportunity to help out those in need of your donation and support.

Last year, we held an informal (and semi-private) donation drive to help out a member in need. This year, we have decided to hold a charity auction to raise money for The National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACoA): http://www.nacoa.net/index.htm. As many of you know, long-time forum member and site contributor RyaNtheSlayA recently lost his mother due, in part, to complications from alcoholism.

According to the NACoA website:

The people hurt most by drugs and alcohol don't even use them; they are the CHILDREN of alcoholics and other drug dependent parents.

The National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACoA) believes that none of these vulnerable children should grow up in isolation and without support. NACoA is the national nonprofit 501 (c) 3 membership and affiliate organization working on behalf of children of alcohol and drug dependent parents.

Our mission is to eliminate the adverse impact of alcohol and drug use on children and families.
We thought that this charity drive might be a nice way to send our condolences to Ryan and, more importantly, to help out children who could use the support.

The plan is to run the auction from December 12th-26th, with a set ending time of 11:59PM EST on the 26th. Payment for items will be due by January 2nd. The auction will be run on this very forum, and bidding will start at $1 per item or bundle with .50 or larger incremental bids. More details of the auction format will be announced once it gets started...

Here's what we need from YOU:

1. PM me a list of items you are willing to donate to the auction. If you can also attach a link to pictures of the item(s), it would be ideal (though not required). Be sure to provide all relevant description information (e.g. the game is complete, the system smells like socks, etc.)

2. Items that you can donate are not limited to games, but can also include systems, accessories, movies, etc. You can also choose to donate bundled packages (e.g. a bundle of 3 games and a system, 10 movies, etc.). Live animals, weapons, personal favors, and other unmailable items are not actionable.

3. In your PM, let me know if you will cover shipping costs or if the winning bidder will be expected to pay shipping. If you want the bidder to pay shipping, specify how much shipping will be for each item so that it can be listed alongside the item in the auction (and be reasonable!). Also provide your PayPal address so that I can send you the shipping costs when they are collected.

So, take a look around and see what items you might be able to donate. Please submit your list of donations for the auction to me by December 10th .
-------

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you get some donations, but after what went down with the Child's Play lowball, I think people are a little hesitant to get involved with it again... I hope for the best, but Nsahene kinda screwed everybody over with that..

[quote name='Vulgarism']I hope you get some donations, but after what went down with the Child's Play lowball, I think people are a little hesitant to get involved with it again... I hope for the best, but Nsahene kinda screwed everybody over with that..[/QUOTE]

What happened? I can't say that I was following that one....

The details for this are pretty simple.

1. Anyone who donates something will be responsible for sending it out. They can decide if they want to charge shipping or not, and obviously would not have to send anything until A) I confirm the payment for their items has been made to the charity and B) any requested shipping $$ is received (via my PayPal account).

2. Winning bidders will have the option of sending their payments to me (to pass on directly to NACoA) or can choose to make their payment (minus shipping charges) directly to the charity. If they take the second option they will need to send me a receipt for their payment to the NACoA. They will also need to send me any shipping money required by the donors.

[quote name='dsheinem']What happened? I can't say that I was following that one....

The details for this are pretty simple.

1. Anyone who donates something will be responsible for sending it out. They can decide if they want to charge shipping or not, and obviously would not have to send anything until A) I confirm the payment for their items has been made to the charity and B) any requested shipping $$ is received (via my PayPal account).

2. Winning bidders will have the option of sending their payments to me (to pass on directly to NACoA) or can choose to make their payment (minus shipping charges) directly to the charity. If they take the second option they will need to send me a receipt for their payment to the NACoA. They will also need to send me any shipping money required by the donors.[/QUOTE]

Long story short, Nsahene took about a month+ to send out most of the packages, disappeared, and we're not even sure if the money was donated or not...

I really am hoping your auction goes well, it sounds like a damn good cause. If I had some items worth it, I'd donate, but most of my stuff wouldn't fetch too much. Good luck man!

[quote name='Vulgarism']Long story short, Nsahene took about a month+ to send out most of the packages, disappeared, and we're not even sure if the money was donated or not...

I really am hoping your auction goes well, it sounds like a damn good cause. If I had some items worth it, I'd donate, but most of my stuff wouldn't fetch too much. Good luck man![/QUOTE]

Wow, that's pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't expect anyone to send me all the items so that I can then send them out to winning bidders -- it would make more work than necessary.

I'm planning to document everything at every step of the way for anyone who needs "proof" of donations, monies distributed, etc. Most people so far have offered free shipping, and I may just decide to personally cover any additional shipping expenses (depending...). In any case, I want to do everything I can to guarantee transparency and piece of mind that the money will be going to those who need it.

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Cheers to racketboy.com!

Their "hidden gems" list has shown me many good PCE and Megadrive games![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

morning bump

Unfortunately, it looks like not much coming from CAG, but are you gonna run the sale over here too? That could help raise more money, but if not, will they look down on a member from here who joins there to bid?

[quote name='Vulgarism']Unfortunately, it looks like not much coming from CAG, but are you gonna run the sale over here too? [/QUOTE]

No, gets a bit complicated for keeping accurate totals, etc. that way.

[quote name='Vulgarism']if not, will they look down on a member from here who joins there to bid?[/QUOTE]

Nope, we're counting on people doing that as we plan to advertise the auction a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back