2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

[quote name='dmaul1114']Looking more and more like NIT for WVU. Did win at Pitt the other day, but just got stomped 71-44 at ND.

Have Marquette, Depaul and USF left. Probably have to win at all three of those to lock up a bid in the regular season (would give them 20 wins and a 10-8 Big East record).

More likely they need to get at least 2 and win a game or two in the Big East tourney to get in.[/QUOTE]

After a horrible start Notre Dame has gone completely ass ape! I have a feeling they will do what they always do which is lose either in the first or second round of the tournament when their 3 point shooting goes cold.

That's the way I kinda feel about Mizzou as well. They've build an awesome record but their losses are Kansas State (twice) and Oklahoma State. Both teams that have managed to lose this year to a bad Oklahoma team. Mizzou has had a handful of bad games but they escaped thanks to really hot 3 point shooting. If/when they have a game where those treys aren't dropping I think they are in trouble.

WVU blew a 15 point lead and lost 61-60 to Marquette tonight. So now definitely need to beat Depaul and USF and probably win a game or two in the Big East tourney to avoid the NIT.

[quote name='dmaul1114']WVU blew a 15 point lead and lost 61-60 to Marquette tonight. So now definitely need to beat Depaul and USF and probably win a game or two in the Big East tourney to avoid the NIT.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I've been pulling for WVU since they played KSU so our loss to them would be a quality one (and since they are now officially on their way to joining our conference). Just when I thought K-State was headed to the NIT they took down #10 Baylor and #3 Mizzou on the road. They are such an up and down team. I just hope we don't drop any of our last three games against the bottom half of the conference to close out the season. Today's game against Iowa State is the toughest remaining game. Lost @ ISU earlier this season on a last second bucket after McGruder got completely mugged under the rim and the refs refused to call the foul.

Well, WVU got one of the wins they have to have, blowing out Depaul 92-75 tonight. Another monster game for Kevin Jones with 22 pts and 16 rebounds. He's still leading the Big East in both categories, so hopefully the teams recent swoon doesn't hurt him in player of the year voting.

Surprisingly, Lunardi still had WVU in as a 12 seed in his latest bracketology that came out this morning. I won't feel comfortable about them being in unless they win at USF on Saturday and at least win their first Big East tourney game (since it will be against a bottom feeder, and they can't afford a bad loss).

Good day for WVU. Won an ugly, low scoring game at USF and with Depaul upsetting Seton Hall WVU gets the 8 seed and a first round bye in the Big East tourney.

Should be in the NCAAs now.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Good day for WVU. Won an ugly, low scoring game at USF and with Depaul upsetting Seton Hall WVU gets the 8 seed and a first round bye in the Big East tourney.

Should be in the NCAAs now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would think that would be enough to get them in. K-State beat OSU pretty soundly today. With Texas losing to KU that gives KSU the 5th seed in the Big 12 tourney. They will get a first round bye but then they will play a very hot Iowa State in their first game.

They are in, now it's just a matter of seeding.

EDIT: I didn't realize Iowa State beat Baylor. I guess Kansas State gets Baylor in the first round and if they survive that a third game against #1 seed Kansas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, WVU gets the winner of UCONN-Depaul. Loss to UCONN shouldn't knock them off the bubble, so just playing for seeding. If Depaul happened to upset UCONN, then we'd probably need to win as you don't want a bad loss in your last game when you're near the bubble.

Kevin Jones really got jobbed in Big East award voting. Only the third player in Big East history to lead the league in scoring and rebounding, and he wasn't a unanimous first team selection (one coach didn't vote him first team) and Jae Crowder from Marquette won player of the year.

fuck. That game was a repeat of the first meeting and the story of WVU's season.

Lead most of the way, and go fucking brain dead the last few minutes and give the game away with missed one and ones and careless turnovers.

Oh well, should still be in but they'll have to sweat it out on selection sunday now. If it wasn't for wanting Kevin Jones to go to another tourney after his great senior season I'd honestly prefer the NIT. The young team needs more game experience for next year, and they'll be lucky to win a game in the NCAAs.

Still hard to complain about the year as it's about what I expected when you have 9 freshman on the roster. Just sucks for Jones. Team should be better next year since we have a couple transfers that sat out this year who should step in and instantly improve the team as long as some of the freshman who played this year improve.

A bit sad for this to be our last Big East tourney game in the Garden. But overall I'm glad to be out of this two bit conference and looking forward to playing in the Big 12 next fall!

It figures that Baylor would decide to have their best game of the season today. Kansas State played pretty well but PJ3 was out of his mind! Oh well, it might actually be a blessing in disguise. Bracetology had KSU as an 8 seed before today. It might be better for them to drop to a 10 seed so they don't have to face a #1 if they win their first round match-up.

Dammit, I was so hoping anyone but those traitors at Mizzou would win the Big 12 tournament... I will be interested to see where Kansas State ends up. I hope Bracketology is wrong and they either go lower to a #10 seed or up to a #7 seed. That 8-9 matchup would put them up against a #1 seed should they win the first round.

WVU in as a 10 seed playing Gonzaga in Pittsburgh. tough matchups, but will be a ton of WVU fans there since its so close.

Would likely get Ohio State in the second round if they get past the Zags.

[quote name='dmaul1114']http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...e-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney

Syracuse's Fab Melo is ineligible for the NCAA tourney. Huge loss as they struggled a bit without him (still won, but not nearly as dominate). I had them in the final four, but will have to reevaluate that pick now. I think there bracket is pretty weak though--but maybe OSU or FSU can knock them off in the elite 8 without Melo in the middle.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe Kansas State... ;)
If the team that beat Mizzou twice shows up anything is possible, then again the team that lost to Oklahoma twice could also rear it's ugly head.

You know, most years I have a feeling or strategy going into my brackets. I usually have a sense of who I think that one sleeper is going to be and I design my bracket around them. This year I have no fricking idea! I don't know who to pick.

I agree. Outside one of the four regions (the region of Syracuse), I have all the ones and twos in sweet sixteen. Though, I question my decision on Kansas (as they disappoint each year).

Lowest seed for me going into sweet 16 is #6.

[quote name='lordopus99']I agree. Outside one of the four regions (the region of Syracuse), I have all the ones and twos in sweet sixteen. Though, I question my decision on Kansas (as they disappoint each year).

Lowest seed for me going into sweet 16 is #6.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's probably going to be another early exit for KU since I picked them to make a deep run. Since I hate them they always seem to do whatever they can to destroy my bracket. The years I pick them to lose early out of spite they go deep, if I pick them to bow out early then they make a deep run.

I will be rooting for Notre Dame and Kansas State this year. I would be more than happy to have them destroy my bracket.

Well Michigan State losing put the final nail in my bracket's coffin. Not that I really had much of a chance to win anyways. The only three teams I had left were MSU, UNC, and KU.

Man there are a bunch of rumors swirling around that South Carolina is trying to take Frank Martin from K-State. I really hope he doesn't leave but from what everyone is saying he's pissed at the AD for taking Samuels away from him 20 minutes before his game against Syracuse.

Couldn't be happier. Louisville made the final for and I had 6/8 elite eight teams (missouri and wisconsin) right and am 2/2 so far in the final four.

My bracket was awful from the start this year.

Only had 3/8 sweet elite 8 (Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas). Do have Kentucky beating Kansas in the title game, so still have that possibility at least I guess.

I'm quite happy: OSU made the final four!

Also, I have 3 of the final four teams and still in the running for the CAG March Madness contest.

Well it is almost over. My team disappointed me. My bracket is trashed. Granted I still have 2 left (Kentucky i.e. everyone pick to take it and Ohio St). If I could have predicted Kendall Marshall would have gone down, I would have picked Kansas over them.

But looking to the future, it will be weird to see what my team looks like next year. We lose 6 players due to graduation including all our centers/power forwards. As long as Snaer returns, we will have 3 rotation players back. Our recruits are all guards so we will be playing smaller, for the first time since Hamiliton arrived.

Wow. Frank Martin left K-State for South Carolina. Guess the reports that he couldn't stand the AD were true.

Sucks as I was looking forward to that rivalry with WVU's move to the Big 12 since Martin is a former Huggins assistant and the series got a big jump start with the 2OT thriller this year.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Wow. Frank Martin left K-State for South Carolina. Guess the reports that he couldn't stand the AD were true.

Sucks as I was looking forward to that rivalry with WVU's move to the Big 12 since Martin is a former Huggins assistant and the series got a big jump start with the 2OT thriller this year.[/QUOTE]

Yep, KSU fans and alumni are pissed.

There are several reports around Manhattan KS that Currie (A.D.) didn't like him and ran him out of town. It sounds like they didn't even try to make a counter offer to keep him. The final straw seems to be the way Currie handled the Jamar Samuels suspension right before the Syracuse game. It's a sad day as Frank (and Huggins) had rebuild the KSU basketball program and put them back on the map.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Kansas State has hired Bruce Weber. Good hire, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: Listening to the press conference right now....

Crap hire IMHO. The only success the guy had at Illinois was when he still had Bill Self's leftovers. He can't recruit and didn't even see a huge talent (Jacob Pullen) in his own backyard.

John Currie is a complete fuckup. KSU needs to fire him immediately before he runs off Bill Snyder and turns the football program back to crap as well.

The only way this hire has a chance of working is if he surrounds himself with a top notch staff. Frank Martin > Bruce Weber.

John Grocie hired as Illinois head coach. Very good hire in my opinion.

Ohio went 29-8 overall and 11-5 in the MAC this past season. The Bobcats finished third in the MAC East. The Bobcats have gone 85-56 overall and 34-30 in conference in Groce's four years.

Groce arrived at Ohio after being an Ohio State assistant coach from 2004-2008. With the Buckeyes, he developed a reputation as an elite recruiter as he helped sway Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr. to Ohio State.

Groce was also previously an assistant at Xavier from 2001-2004, at Butler from 2000-2001, North Carolina State from 1996-2000 and Taylor (Ind.) University from 1993-1996.

He also got the Bobcats past the first round twice in his tenure. Prior to that they had not made it past the first round for 27 years!

He's yet another branch in the Thad Matta coaching tree (Sean Miller prev Xavier and now Arizona, Archie Miller now with Dayton, Alan Major now with Charlotte, and last but certainly not least Brad Stevens of Butler).

Anyone want to take a guess how long it takes before this title gets vacated? Calipari has always been dirty, and I'm sure something new will come to light soon enough.

Pretty boring tourney this year aside from the two 15 seeds winning. Not many big upsets other than those two and Ohio making he sweet 16. No buzzer beaters etc.

fuck you Pitfall and all the haters, jealousy is a terrible thing.

I'm about to head to Rupp for the Championship celebration, was at midnight madness so perfect way to end the season. SIX 1st rounders and reloading next year.

champs-streamers1.jpg

[quote name='$hady']fuck you Pitfall and all the haters, jealousy is a terrible thing. [/QUOTE]
God forbid someone thinks that a man who has had two Final Fours vacated at two previous schools might have this one vacated.

[quote name='$hady']fuck you Pitfall and all the haters, jealousy is a terrible thing.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a "hater". I was a big UK fan during the Pitino and Tubby Smith days. But then they had a few down years and decided they'd rather win at any cost than do things the right way anymore. So they went and hired that sleazeball Calipari.

[quote name='Burning Karma']God forbid someone thinks that a man who has had two Final Fours vacated at two previous schools might have this one vacated.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I'd think Calipari wouldn't have much need to cheat at UK. At UMASS, and to a lesser extent Memphis, there's more temptation to skirt the rules to get big name recruits away from programs like UK, UNC etc.

At a top place like UK where kids dream of playing it's easier to get blue chippers without skirting the rules.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/04/deshaun-thomas-returning-ohio-state-junior-season/1#.T3-nv_tYu84

Ohio State Forward Deshaun Thomas returning for his Junior year! :applause: :D

Two days after Jared Sullinger announced he was leaving Ohio State for the NBA, the Buckeyes got some good news.

USA TODAY

Sophomore forward Deshaun Thomas announced he would return next season after 15.9 points and 5.4 rebounds this season.

His return gives Ohio State a good chance to make another run at the Final Four. Thomas was the second-leading scorer behind Sullinger. Aaron Craft and Lezelle Smith Jr. also will be back after starting all 39 games last season.

"We have a great team returning next season and I want to be a part of another championship run," Thomas said in a statement. "My family, my coaches and I looked at my future as a professional but I love being a Buckeye and want to continue my education and development as a player and as a person at Ohio State."

Thanks for staying Tank! :D

Haters gonna hate but the simple truth is you take the best program in college basketball and add in the best recruiter and what do you get? Yet another #1 class in the country, that's 4 years running out of 4 years at UK and he's not done yet. We've got a checkered past as does Cal, he can't cheat here nor would he ever never ever need to. Cal's possible cheating being helping Rose pass the tests. The Umass situation was Camby taking money from an agent. Nothing to do with the school just another sleeze bag agent trying to secure $$$$ down the line.

I'm actually glad Shabazz didn't come crazy as it sounds but he's to me first Cal would had to break him down. The class we have coming has crazy ball skills. Be nice to add the Bennett kid but Oriakhi from Uconn is coming to play with his AAU teammate Noel, nice vet addition to a bunch more young kids cutting down the nets next year.

Fear the Fade
nerlens.gif

bread's done
Back