2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']Good signing by them. If he's got anything left in the tank at all (which I think he probably does), that's a steal even with the suspension.[/QUOTE]

Trying to decide if this is sarcasm or not. Manny went 1-17 with the Rays before he quit and the his BA was around .280 the year before. He has been declining the past few years and he's going to be 40 this year. He's a part time DH at best and a cancer to clubhouse at worst. IMO the As shouldn't bother taking the risk.

This is the A's we are talking about. A team that gave way too much money to Coco Crisp. I do think it is a solid signing by them, though. Judging Manny by a 1-17 slump isn't fair to him. There are plent of players that start the season off on terrible slumps. Mike Young has done it before and he always bounces. Now, I'm not saying Manny is the Manny of old, but for 500k (plus incentives), it's not a bad deal for a team that needs a DH.

[quote name='silentevil']Trying to decide if this is sarcasm or not. Manny went 1-17 with the Rays before he quit and the his BA was around .280 the year before. He has been declining the past few years and he's going to be 40 this year. He's a part time DH at best and a cancer to clubhouse at worst. IMO the As shouldn't bother taking the risk.[/QUOTE]

It's not. $500,000 is pocket change even to a small market team like the A's. The risk is minimal. If he works out great, and if he doesn't, no big loss. That's exactly the sort of gamble a team like the A's should take.

I can't tell whether you actually think 1-17 is a sufficient sample size or not, but it isn't. That's about four games worth of ABs. I definitely think a properly motivated Manny can still hit.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Damn, I LOVE that the Yankees found a way to get rid of AJ Burnett. Just the willingness to eat $18 million and admit a mistake rather than trade away a more valuable pitcher (many thought Hughes would end up getting the ticket out of town) says a lot. Couldn't be happier with the Yankees pitching staff right now. I really hope Joba comes back strong as well, as he finally seemed to have gotten past his starter/reliever/starter/reliever yo-yo last year. The hitting makes me nervous though with so many old bats and guys who don't hit with runners in scoring position. But the pitching should be pretty beastly.[/QUOTE]

Cashman LOVES Hughes, no way they were dealing him. Did you see AJ's quote as the door hit him in the ass? "I probably was tinkered with too much, maybe"... Ah, AJ, a defiant asshole right to the end.

Apparently Joba is so ahead of schedule the Yankees are trying to reel him in, they don't want him to rush it.

As for the hitting, I dunno. Old bats for sure, but pitching wins in the playoffs.

Lastly, Rivera basically spelled out he will retire after this season. Enjoy it while we can.

Manny only had 17 ABs for the Rays? wow.

[quote name='DestroVega']

Manny only had 17 ABs for the Rays? wow.[/QUOTE]

Yeah he only played 5 games before quitting because he was caught cheating.

[quote name='GhostShark']This is the A's we are talking about. A team that gave way too much money to Coco Crisp. I do think it is a solid signing by them, though. Judging Manny by a 1-17 slump isn't fair to him. There are plent of players that start the season off on terrible slumps. Mike Young has done it before and he always bounces. Now, I'm not saying Manny is the Manny of old, but for 500k (plus incentives), it's not a bad deal for a team that needs a DH.[/QUOTE]

Coco Crisp is a pretty good player. He's been worth an average or slightly above average player per 162 in Oakland, and he's accomplished that while playing significantly less than a full season. It's not that bad of a deal, especially with the A's having a bit of depth in the OF.

[quote name='DestroVega']As for the hitting, I dunno. Old bats for sure, but pitching wins in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

The Phillies would like to have a word with you...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']LMAO, what tinkering did they do, AJ? Have you try to actually throw strikes?[/QUOTE]

Some of his predictive stats are actually half-decent. If he turns it around (big if), well, you'll have to listen to that bullshit.

[quote name='kill3r7']Run support should not be a problem. Especially with a healthy Arod( DHing should help). I agree that some of our key bats are getting old but we should be okay this year. Cano, Granderson, Gardner, Swisher, Martin and Teixiera are still relatively young. Opening day cannot come soon enough.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DestroVega']As for the hitting, I dunno. Old bats for sure, but pitching wins in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

How soon we forget. Go look up the numbers for those guys hitting with runners in scoring position. All things considered, the pitching was much better last season than it had any right to be since Nova was basically the #2 starter. It was the hitting that let the team down. Sure, they put up a lot of runs, but that's because they'd score 16 runs in one game, and then 4 over the next 5 games.

The Tigers series is a perfect example of this. They outscored Detroit 28-17 in the series and lost. In game 5, the Yankees outhit them 10-8, and lost 3-2. Unless the pitching is good enough to win on 2-3 runs every game (which is asking a lot IMO), the hitting has to be better than that. It just worries me that so many guys in that lineup were back to swinging for the fences last year (Cano included). Pitching may win championships...but so do doubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back