2012 Music Buying

[quote name='commandercody83']Also, I have to admit I'm addicted to Spotify. I've been using the 30 day trial to the fullest by checking out a buch of artist I've been wanting to hear. Not sure I'll pay for it when the time comes since I still buy a bunch of physical media...[/QUOTE]

I've been paying for Spotify since last fall. The big reason that I find it worth it is the mobile app. I always had trouble with running out of space on my phone before, now I barely keep any music on it. It's nice having pretty much anything that I want to listen to available at any time, no matter where I am. The only downside is that if you have a limited data plan, you can end up burning through it fast.

Picked up another 40 records from an estate sale today. Hope to add them to my Discogs before the weekend. Also may start organizing them in groups or lots as I pick them up.

Anyhow, it was advertised as 2000 records. Emailed the organizer of the sale, she said all records $0.25 each. Had. To. Go.

Got there about 10 minutes early, 2 guys were already there picking at the records. One was really nice, the other was a butthole to the sale organizer. He also happened to pick a stack of great stuff like the Star Wars soundtrack... for $0.25.

There were probably as many records as advertised, but half were 45s with and without sleeves. Another sizeable section were the terrible compilations. Luckily the nice guy was in to these. That left me to pick up some soundtracks, rock, country, and a ton of comedy albums. Stuff from Dangerfield to Rickles and Cosby.

Seller was extremely nice, wish I'd bought more...

[quote name='commandercody83']Picked up another 40 records from an estate sale today. Hope to add them to my Discogs before the weekend. Also may start organizing them in groups or lots as I pick them up.

Anyhow, it was advertised as 2000 records. Emailed the organizer of the sale, she said all records $0.25 each. Had. To. Go.

Got there about 10 minutes early, 2 guys were already there picking at the records. One was really nice, the other was a butthole to the sale organizer. He also happened to pick a stack of great stuff like the Star Wars soundtrack... for $0.25.

There were probably as many records as advertised, but half were 45s with and without sleeves. Another sizeable section were the terrible compilations. Luckily the nice guy was in to these. That left me to pick up some soundtracks, rock, country, and a ton of comedy albums. Stuff from Dangerfield to Rickles and Cosby.

Seller was extremely nice, wish I'd bought more...[/QUOTE]

All I have to say is WOW! I would go nuts with a sale like that. As for Discogs how do you like it? I have an account but I never really used it, but I might start soon. Congrats on the new music!

Thanks! I've only used it a little and find it easy to get in the zone and add records while watching tv. Still have a big box to go... So I'm kinda stalling.

I made a folder with most of my estate sale finds from Wednesday. A few weren't in the database (I'm too lazy to create a record) and 4 were for a friend.

Problem is, it doesn't let anyone but me see them... Hmmm

GoAztecs, I'm jealous of your Goodwill scores. I'm lucky to find a single record worth purchasing there or any thrift shop.

Did get about 15 at a yard sale last week: Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Beatles, Alice Cooper...

Husband and wife had bought a collection from a DJ in Springfield, MO of 10,000 records. Purchased for $500 on one condition: if there were any signed records, they were to send them back.

Of course they found about 50 including a Doors 45... Signed and dated by Jim Morrison.

@Commandercody I have to say I am pretty lucky to live around a really good Goodwill store. The only drawback is there a bunch of folks who like to resell on eBay. The one odd thing is that they haven't had any CDs this year. As for the other thrifts one of the managers is really cool and if I find any LPs at his store he asks if I looked hard enough and tells me what he got in and what I should look for.

That husband and wife got one hell of a deal, and I'm impressed that they were true to their word about sending back the signed stuff. I don't think many would do that today

Dunno how many metal fans are on this forum but I did get all of these cds from various sites for under $100 total

Hammerfall-Threshold
Hammerfall-One Crimson Night
Royal Hunt-Collision Course
Cehador-Enter Deception
Almah-Fragile Equality
Richard Anderson's Space Odyssey-The Astral Episode
Damageplan-New Found Power
Venom-Resurrection
Cough-Ritual Abuse
Pathfinder-Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time
Blind Guardian-Another Stranger Me
Sentenced-Frozen
Angra-Holy Land
Primal Fear-16.6 Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Primal Fear-New Religion
Bad Religion-All Ages
Evergrey-Glorious Collision
After Forever-After Forever
Fozzy-Fozzy
Helloween-Keeper of the Seven Key Parts I & II
Helloween-7 Sinners
Staind-Tormented
Jackyl-Jackyl
Exciter-Death Machine
The Offspring-Americana
Methods of Mayhem-Methods of Mayhem
Def Leppard-Slang
Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath
Power Symphony-Lightbringer
ChoasBreed-Brutal
Gamma Ray-Insanity and Genius
House of 1000 Corpses OST
Jag Panzer-Decade of the Nail Spiked Bat
Jag Panzer-The Fourth Judgement
Kenos-The Craving
Paradise Lost-In Requiem
WinterDome-Weltendammerung
Infernal Vengence-Dual Mayhem
VA-New Found Power Compilation
Nocturnal Rites-The 8th Sin
Nocturnal Rites-Grand Illusion
Dream Evil-Evilized
Dream Evil-United
Genius-Episode 3 The Final Surprise
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody-Ascending to Infinity (came with a T-shirt and poster too)

Overall. I need more.

Adding my June purchases finally:

June ($49.15)
Guided by Voices - Class Clown Spots a UFO ($13.99)
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel is Wiser than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More than Ropes Will Ever Do (Deluxe Version) ($13.29)
Paul McCartney - Ram (Special Edition) ($11.88)
Everclear - Invisible Stars ($9.99)

Some of you guys remind me of my youth. :) In high school and college, I could average a dozen CDs a week easy. Eventually I kind of got to a point where I had already bought everything from the '60s and '70s that I wanted to hear, and my purchasing fell way off.

The new Fiona Apple is amazing though, easily the best thing I've heard so far this year.

Got Serj Tankian's new CD today for $7, great stuff, Still wish system would make an album, i miss daron and serj together.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The new Fiona Apple is amazing though, easily the best thing I've heard so far this year.[/QUOTE]

It is really great. Another album that is pleasantly surprising is "Oceania" from Smashing Pumpkins. Best SP album since Mellon Collie, IMO.

I also really like Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds even though that is from 2011. Best "Oasis" album since Morning Glory, IMO.

I can't wait to hear the new Gaslight Anthem album - that's the next one I'm getting.

[quote name='Javery']I also really like Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds even though that is from 2011. Best "Oasis" album since Morning Glory, IMO.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I like that a lot too, certainly way better than Liam's new band. My favorites from 2011 were the Decemberists and Wild Flag (Carrie Brownstein from Sleater-Kinney and Mary Timony from Helium), also the Foo Fighters album from last year was great, and Arctic Monkeys.

Although I have to admit being a major fan of some of the later Oasis albums like Be Here Now and Don't Believe the Truth.

I'll have to check out the new Pumpkins, hadn't heard much about it yet.

yeah - that last Foos album was awesome. I just watched a documentary on the band that has been airing on Palladia. I'm guessing it was filmed right before Wasted Light was released because it included those sessions. Dave Grohl is the one famous person I'd actually want to hang out with - he just seems like he is having the best freaking time every single day.

[quote name='Javery']yeah - that last Foos album was awesome. I just watched a documentary on the band that has been airing on Palladia. I'm guessing it was filmed right before Wasted Light was released because it included those sessions. Dave Grohl is the one famous person I'd actually want to hang out with - he just seems like he is having the best freaking time every single day.[/QUOTE]
Dave Grohl is awesome. Pretty much anything he's involved with, you know it's going to be good. Something like the first Tenacious D album, they could have just got by on humor alone, but they brought in Dave Grohl and it turns into a pretty kickass rock album period, humor aside.

Hasn't been much to post about for me lately as moneys been incredibly tight... But I did manage to buy a couple awesome vinyl records in the most unlikely of places - a craft/paywhatyouwant store in St. Louis. Basically all you can fit it in a 2'x2'x1' for $20 suggested price.

My wife was already buying some stuff and I found about 50-75 albums on a bottom shelf that needed looking through. Out of the stash I picked:

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Couldn't Stand the Weather, Texas Flood
Rush - Moving Pictures (sealed, damn)
Yes - 90125
Chariots of Fire soundtrack (roughest of the bunch)

All the records look near perfect, not sure how they ended up there but I'm happy. Will probably take some junk albums I have there and donate.

oh man! Sealed albums are the best. Once I went to a book sale and missed out on some sealed Beatles albums. The guy in front of me looking at the records took them all. Sad day. But I still scored some sealed Eno which I guess fetches a nice price (even though I'm not going to sell it, one of my favorite albums). It's still so strange that these records have been sealed for 30+ years.

Sealed albums are pretty cool. I ran into a couple at Goodwill but nothing recently.

I haven't been out looking for new vinyl, but I picked up a couple of CDs. One of my favorite purchases was actually from iTunes. I picked up Mozella's Brian Holland Sessions, and if you are a fan of the Motown Sound this is an album worth picking up. The only drawback is that I wish it was available in a physical format

Dot know how many other CAGs have a Discover credit card, but apparently you can redeem your Cashback for iTunes credit. I had like $32.xx so I ended up with x2 $15 codes (one for me and one for the wife!).

Already spent it wisely!

Also, anyone here like Frank Zappa? Whole load of his stuff is now on iTunes. I remember reading an AV Club article about getting remasters of his stuff. Haven't seen them, but will keep an eye out.

Went to LouFest in St. Louis. Picked up a Phantogram EP with my wife and she got it signed by the band.

Awesome weekend between Girl Talk and Flaming Lips!

[quote name='commandercody83']Went to LouFest in St. Louis. Picked up a Phantogram EP with my wife and she got it signed by the band.

Awesome weekend between Girl Talk and Flaming Lips![/QUOTE]

Ohhhh... Loufest is St. LOUis. Got it. I saw someone mention it earlier and thought "Wow, I know Lou Barlow is in a lot of bands, but a whole festival dedicated to him?" :lol:

[quote name='commandercody83']Went to LouFest in St. Louis. Picked up a Phantogram EP with my wife and she got it signed by the band.

Awesome weekend between Girl Talk and Flaming Lips![/QUOTE]

Wow I'm super jealous. Saw Phantogram last year at Lolla twice (at the fest and again at an aftershow). They're phenomenal.

For any music buyers gohastings.com is having a 30% off used cd sale right now with the code RERUN.

I ended up getting 16 hip-hop cd's that I had been waiting to go on sale on amazon mp3 and they ended up being $2.60 a cd including shipping and tax.

Here is a list of my booty from the St. Louis Record Collectors show:

Jeff Beck - Truth
Cheech and Chong - Cheech and Chong
Cheech and Chong - Sleeping Beauty
Close Encounters of the Third Kind soundtrack
Bill Cosby - My Father Confused Me...
Doors - Other Voices
Easy Rider soundtrack
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show That Never Ends...
Head East - Flat as a Pancake
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
The Muppet Show soundtrack
Richard Pryor - Here and Now
Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks
Xanadu soundtrack

Majority of those were 3/$5. Wife also grabbed 2 Radiohead posters for $15. Ended up spending $45 including the items above and admission. Will definitely be going back again.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']New records today from Ben Folds Five and Corin Tucker, and Green Day is next week, I'm pretty pumped. :)[/QUOTE]

It's been a hot streak for us. Bought Ben Folds Five this week. Next week is new Deadmau5 and reissues of Frank Zappa.

Well I signed up for photobucket so I could post this:

Picked up another free record player from my parents this past weekend. It's a vintage Delmonico PSC 450 portable record player. Comes in a black suitcase, opens up and has 2 speakers. I can't find any information on it.

EDE6216E-58A4-4BBB-9166-CE90E9B5D95E-622-000000664DB4559E.jpg

Anywho, they got it at an auction for $2 and the damn thing works!

Been another steady month for music buying here. Lot of it has just been persistence and buying a lot of stuff my wife wants.

Like this week it was Wanda Jackson - Unfinished Business. Best Buy or Target had nothing. Managed to get the last copy Hastings had. Last weekend it was finding the new Deadmau5 for $6.99 at Target... Glad I waited and saved a few bucks.

Anyone else score big on the GoHastings sale? 40 percent on CDs was awesome! The only problem was finding good stuff in stock. I could have spent $100 easily if everything I searched for was in stock. And shipping was like $1.00 per item, so not too bad!

[quote name='commandercody83']Anyone else score big on the GoHastings sale? 40 percent on CDs was awesome! The only problem was finding good stuff in stock. I could have spent $100 easily if everything I searched for was in stock. And shipping was like $1.00 per item, so not too bad![/QUOTE]

I ordered 50 CDs when it was 40% off plus free shipping. I'm sure a few will have scratches though and I'll send them back, but still a lot. I'm just starting my CD collection so there was a lot of stuff I wanted.

I was a few purchases behind before updating today. Wish I had more to add, but Record Store Black Friday items were sparse in my town.

What I did see:
Nirvana Incesticide vinyl $50
King Diamond picture disc $15
Judas Priest Screaming for Vengeance picture disc $17

I hope to find some oddities when I make it back up to St. Louis next week. I know a lot of shops there got stuff becaue they posted it on Facebook.

Probably gonna be another busy month for music. Few releases my wife and I are interested in. Plus a trip to Springfield usually means a couple of record store stops!

Well, last day of the year and I finally found time to update my purchases. It was a very good year for music and look forward to tracking my purchases in 2013!

What's everyone looking forward to?

For me it's the possibility of a new Daft Punk album!

I really can't say I'm waiting for a new album this year because I haven't really been following what's being released.

I also created a new music buying list if you guys/gals are interested.

bread's done
Back