2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='Sivarticus']Found what looks to be a brand new Lite Brite today for 3.99. Love this thread. Im sorry if this wasn't video game related. I do have a couple questions.

1. Could anyone tell me about a market for books? Does anyone resell them? And, if so, what is your preferred site to sell them?

2. Same question for cameras. Any brands to look out for?

If you don't want to reveal your tips in the thread throw me a PM. Thanks guys! Keep up the great hunt.[/QUOTE]

Books can be tough. Some of them are valuable but take forever to sell. There are many edition and printing variations that can affect value. I trade some books in to Amazon and sell a few after I'm done with them.

You need to know your stuff with cameras, also. In general the only ones worth anything are SLR-type cameras with detachable lenses. Knowing how to tell lens mounts apart and what lenses are good in different brands takes time, but there can be some amazing finds at thrifts.

[quote name='sp00ge']I ran into a Pikachu N64 yesterday, came with a few good games like Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Mario Party 2, but was missing the matching controller. They wanted $90 for it, which, while it seems steep, was a pretty fair price. I just couldn't pull the trigger, though.

I did find another complete copy of Pokemon Colosseum for $3. Other than that, it's been a slow week. :/[/QUOTE]

not too bad with those games..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64...1195188660?pt=Video_Games&hash=item338042b9b4

I imagine its been happening well before I've noticed, but I have a local shyster patron at one of my GW stops. I've been noticing a fair amount of blank cases (no cover arts) with some random DVD (usually the fitness variety) mixed in with the DVDs and video games (most of my GWs combine the two in one space). I really didn't think anything of it, until I noticed one of them was a Gamecube case with a smidgen of a Gamestop label on the top corner. I distinctly remember which game it was from my last trip, so I know there was definitely a swap.

So rather than outright stealing the games, he/she buys them, takes out the disc / manual / cover art, and then returns the case with a cheap filler DVD. The GWs have no way of knowing what was really in there (as they tag everything as Books for the same price), so they're getting away with it pretty cleanly (though I'd imagine not all returns at one time, that would be highly suspect).

I don't know, somehow this upsets me more than the random people that just steal the discs inside, at least it's less work for the cashiers...

Genesis games were $3 each, vhs was $1, all of the game boy stuff was $6.50

2aj5no8.jpg

All of the games below were $3 each
5p0a5j.jpg

So I just bought an Atari lynx for $8, popped some batteries in but I can't seem to get it to start up. The screen is pretty scratched up and the clips that hold the cartridge slot closed are broken off. Anybody know much about the lynx? Are they prone to random failure or are they generally pretty sturdy? Worth trying to fix it?

Haha, scratch that. I pulled the klax cartridge out, shook it, and put it back in and out started up without a hitch :v

So after thoroughly enjoying this thread I convinced my lady to come with me to donate some pants that don't fit either of us anymore at our local good will.

This place was chaos there must have been at least 8 employees being trained and the toy section was unbearable to even look through.

Also I have a question. Do your goodwills have two separate stores next to each other? I couldn't find any DVDs or games in the chaos and decided to check out next door.

Low and behold this is where they kept all the 'nice stuff'. Long story short none of the games had prices so I asked a newer employee. He said they mark 360 and ps3 games from 8.99 to 14.99 so I gave up looking.

Did buy a tiny coke glass for .99 will make a great double shot glass. No more goodwill for me. Will check out my local salvation army next week.

Don't let one bad experience get you down. If there's another store in your area they often have completely different stock, since they pick up from different areas. Never seen two stores side by side, though.

Thanks aptanor. I won't. Only had time to hit the goodwill today and it was mostly to donate. There are a few more in my area and I will most likely check them out. From what it seems Saturday is the day to go. Also couldn't tell you why they had two separate stores.

So I go into my local Goodwill almost daily since it's just a mile down the road from where I workout. Anyway, I haven't seen anything good gaming related there for a month. (I found a Genesis with controller, but no A/V cables or power adapter in sight)

So I went there today at around 4pm and I found 8 N64 controllers in GREAT condition along with two rumble packs and a memory card. I also found a Wavebird, a SNES controller, and a NES light gun. I searched high and low for the consoles, but they were no where in sight. I DID find SNES and NES power adapters along with the required A/V cables.

Needless to say, I was disappointed that with all of this stuff there were no consoles. I purchased pretty much all of the Nintendo stuff I could find and left. After my workout, I came back to maybe see if they brought any of the systems out. On a new cart they had two standalone Gamecubes with the same set of initials that were inscribed on most of the stuff I had bought earlier. I already have a Gamecube, so I left those there.

My question is: Does this stuff sometimes come out slowly like this from the back? I'm going to go back tomorrow around 11 or noon to see if they have the consoles.

[quote name='Shabow']So I go into my local Goodwill almost daily since it's just a mile down the road from where I workout. Anyway, I haven't seen anything good gaming related there for a month. (I found a Genesis with controller, but no A/V cables or power adapter in sight)

So I went there today at around 4pm and I found 8 N64 controllers in GREAT condition along with two rumble packs and a memory card. I also found a Wavebird, a SNES controller, and a NES light gun. I searched high and low for the consoles, but they were no where in sight. I DID find SNES and NES power adapters along with the required A/V cables.

Needless to say, I was disappointed that with all of this stuff there were no consoles. I purchased pretty much all of the Nintendo stuff I could find and left. After my workout, I came back to maybe see if they brought any of the systems out. On a new cart they had two standalone Gamecubes with the same set of initials that were inscribed on most of the stuff I had bought earlier. I already have a Gamecube, so I left those there.

My question is: Does this stuff sometimes come out slowly like this from the back? I'm going to go back tomorrow around 11 or noon to see if they have the consoles.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I've tryed to figure out GW's schedule, but it just seems like its completely random. The only thing Ive notice (for my local gw at least ) is that they don't put DVD/disc based games out until the current ones out are almost all gone

Yeah stuff just seems to trickle out randomly during the week, but sundays when they bring out more of the dersirable stuff we're after. I know my goodwill doesn't bring everything out at once as when I buy some games, the next day they immediately replenish the shelves with more games. I'm pretty sure it's all from one guy's donated collection as the discs and game cases are in above average condition. The same 20 copies of DJ Hero taht have been sitting on the shelves since January are still marked at 4.99 at my goodwill though. I'd consider getting a few for spare cases if they were to drop it to like .49.

What's weird is that my Goodwill is very, very picky about putting all of their games in the glass case. It seems like none of their inventory turns over in the case. As for the consoles, if I don't see them next time I'm in there I'll ask someone to go back in the back and look for them. (if they're even there) My store has a pretty helpful worker that will go back and look for stuff for you. :)

[quote name='evuong']Genesis games were $3 each, vhs was $1, all of the game boy stuff was $6.50

2aj5no8.jpg

All of the games below were $3 each
5p0a5j.jpg
[/QUOTE]

uh, check my list for the last battle and shadow blasters?:D

[quote name='MasaTFC']uh, check my list for the last battle and shadow blasters?:D[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Those are going in my collection, I haven't seen genesis games in that good of a condition in a while.. The manuals look like they haven't even been opened.

Lots of great finds! Makes me want to check my local shops more often. My last good find was the N64 Goldeneye for $3.50 ($1.75 after discount) a couple weeks ago.

Today I got:

Final Fantasy X-2-2.99
KOTOR 2: 2.99
Kirby's Dreamland 2: 2.99
Dissidia 012: 4.99
Pikachu edition GBA SP: 24.99
Gladius (xbox) 5.99
Oddworld Strangers Wrath: 4.99

The GBA will make a nice profit as will KOTOR. The rest is for me.

Thanks to sp00ge for the heads up (somewhere back in this thread...), but I found a PS3 Guitar Hero World Tour Controller with the USB guitar dongle for $4. The guitar dongles themselves are worth at least $25 (the ones with the two extra USB ports), I never would of thought to check otherwise if it wasn't for his comment.

Heh, I also picked up a nice Guitar Hero controller today, for 360. I think it's from GH5 or 6 (edit: nope, it's from 4) - it's in great shape and works good, hopefully It'll make a good little flip.

But I also found something much cooler.

344xpp1.jpg

Play Arts Cloud from FFVII: Advent Children for $8! It was mixed in with a bunch of old N'Sync dolls and WWE figures :lol: and I almost missed it. It's not new but it is complete in box in very good shape (yes they wrote the price on with marker but it came right off thanks to Magic Erasers.) Of course I'd rather have the original Cloud or better yet the Dissidia version, but for 8 bucks this is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrote off another Goodwill today. Batavia, IL...had a fat PS2, no cables, no cords for $25. To beat that, they had New Super Mario Bros. Wii, opened, for 50! What a joke!

Dead to me.

I never find anything at my local Goodwills. I sometimes feel funny walking in there though and people look at me like I don't belong there or something. I usually go after work so I guess it may be the work attire (dress pants, shirt, shoes, etc).
I do love seeing the people with the escalades and BMW's lined up outside the Goodwill though. Doesn't make much sense to me but whatever lol.

Was in my local Good Will and looked in the glass case and saw a Wii that had a sticker on it that said $9.99. I got excited then noticed another sticker on the side that said $49.99. I guess the price sticker gun was running out of ink.

Also saw a row of about 20 PS2 sports games. Part of me wonders if it was a full collection that was cherry picked before I showed up, but since there wasn't anything other than sports titles I can only hope that someone just dumped the crap games they didn't play anymore.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']The guitar dongles themselves are worth at least $25 (the ones with the two extra USB ports), I never would of thought to check otherwise if it wasn't for his comment.[/QUOTE]

Really? Like the white ones that have the Rock Band logo on them? I have a Large Flat Rate box full of those..

I never got in to Guitar Hero/Rock Band so I don't know much about them. I knew the wireless guitars have value but all the other pieces I just pile in boxes waiting to do who knows what with them.

I visited a charity run thrift store yesterday and picked up Shadowman for the Dreamcast for $4. I left Tomb Raider game and the Dreamcast console ($30). It's been awhile since I've seen any game related stuff at any thrift store

Picked up LittleBigPlanet GOTY and Final Fantasy VIII (PC) for $3.25 a piece. I honestly had no idea they made a PC version of FFVIII. Pretty cool.

A few weeks ago I picked up a copy of My World My Way at the Goodwill in North Adams, MA. NEVER expected to see that game in a 'retail' setting again. $15 and worth every penny.

I just got a copy of The Neverhood last night for 3 bucks from a local savers. now Im not a PC gamer kinda guy at all (unless you count when best buy was giving out cod4 and star wars force unleashed for free) but I saw it and remembered that a lot of people in this thread have picked it up.

I looked at the value on ebay etc...and its worth as much as $50?! Whats the story on it? Is it really that rare? I googled but couldnt really find a reason why.

Has anyone seen Goodwill or other thrift shops price games at ebay prices?

Thought I found some good stuff today- Rogue Galaxy, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Dragon Warrior VII (PSX) and asked to seem them from behind the case. DW7 was $40! At Goodwill...Goodwill. Still hard to fathom.

This is what I've picked up since last sunday. I just had to get these even though I already had bender.
imag0353t.jpg

Other stuff I got throughout the week. Both headsets work and were probably just opened in the store. Might sell the MadCatz head set but I think I'll give that to my little brother as his part of his Birthday present. The Mass Effect Steelbook is in pretty good condition. Small pencil point sized dent in the front but hardly noticable. Everything else in excellent condition.
imag0351sh.jpg

And my best find of the week.
imag0350r.jpg

Paid $5 for the guitar and the drums! The guitar works great so far but is missing the battery cover, no biggie. Haven't tested the drum kit yet though. Now I never had a stratocastor but is the strum bar supposed to be kinda squishy? I'm used to hearing the click clacks of GH guitars. Really happy with this week's finds.

Picked up a Panasonic DVX200 P2 today for $200. Killer score. Also got a vintage Herman Miller Eames Aluminum Executive chair for $200. Another steal. Great day

[quote name='trollape74']Now I never had a stratocastor but is the strum bar supposed to be kinda squishy? I'm used to hearing the click clacks of GH guitars. Really happy with this week's finds.[/QUOTE]

Yup. It takes some getting used to but it's much less noisy, which keeps roommates/family from getting too annoyed.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Has anyone seen Goodwill or other thrift shops price games at ebay prices?

Thought I found some good stuff today- Rogue Galaxy, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Dragon Warrior VII (PSX) and asked to seem them from behind the case. DW7 was $40! At Goodwill...Goodwill. Still hard to fathom.[/QUOTE]

It gets worse. shopgoodwill.com

20130309_182031.jpg

I finally managed to get to some thrift shops on a good day! Picked up this haul at a Goodwill and Savers today. About $35 for it all.

NES: Double Dragon II, The Karate Kid, Kung Fu, Robocop, Kid Niki, Wizards & Warriors, and Willow (all carts only)
Genesis: Sonic 2 (cart only), Super Hang-On (box and cart), Columns (box, manual, and cart)
Dreamcast: Virtua Tennis and Space Channel 5 (cases, manuals, and discs)

My brother and I also passed on some N64 carts at Goodwill, all wrestling titles.

Picked up a few things yesterday.

From Garage Sale
Time Crisis 3 in box with 2 guns (Case and manual included) but missing the Female-female Male-female piece. Still only 5 bucks so I grabbed it.

From Flea Market
Batman Returns Snes for 2.00

From Goodwill
Extreme G III Gamecube 1.99
Splinter Cell Gamecube 1.99
Metroid Prime Gamecube 2.99
Gamecube Controller (Purple) Great condition 5.99

20130310125150.jpg

Power base converter was 3.99 in box with the manual.

Games are:

Outrun
Gaiares
Bio Hazard Battle
Thunder Force 2
Flasback (cib)
Kolibri (32x)
Zaxxons Motherbase 2000 (32x)

All 2.99 each. Missed a couple other good ones, notably Strider, as they were in an abnormal spot for this Goodwill and another guy was going through them by the time I got there

evuong said:
Space master x7( a more uncommon one?) and tapeworm
Ah. I was acutally more excited for the Spectravision title. Some of those are quite rare. Not Tapeworm, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Saturday I found Super Mario Sunshine, Mario kart Double Dash, Luigi's Mansion, and Simpsons Hit and Run at a semi-local Goodwill. They had them hiddle facing the wrong way in the case, I think the employee was upset when I asked to see what they were. I got them for 4 dollars each.

No pictures for now but went back this morning and got a few more nice items:

E Reader: 2.99
NBA Jam TE (32x): 2.99
Star Trek Starfleet Academy (32x): 2.99
Sega Dreamcast Fishing Controller: 3.99

Cool stuff to get. Also stopped at Half Price Books and grabbed a copy of Fire Emblem Path of Radiance for Gamecube. Was marked $70.00 but today was 40% off day so got it for $42.00 plus tax. Not bad considering what it is going for on eBay now.

[quote name='juangrande386']You know theres nothing decent when you walk out empty handed on 50% off Media day......:([/QUOTE]

You know you wanted the old exercise tapes!

[quote name='TrumpetDan']
I finally managed to get to some thrift shops on a good day! Picked up this haul at a Goodwill and Savers today. About $35 for it all.

NES: Double Dragon II, The Karate Kid, Kung Fu, Robocop, Kid Niki, Wizards & Warriors, and Willow (all carts only)
Genesis: Sonic 2 (cart only), Super Hang-On (box and cart), Columns (box, manual, and cart)
Dreamcast: Virtua Tennis and Space Channel 5 (cases, manuals, and discs)

My brother and I also passed on some N64 carts at Goodwill, all wrestling titles.[/QUOTE]

Nice finds, did you happen to go on an off weekend day for the pick ups? If you have some competition in your area, you may need to go more regularly, especially if the items you picked up were dated (if your GW / Savers dates the tags) on or nearly the same day.

[quote name='ferant316']Really? Like the white ones that have the Rock Band logo on them? I have a Large Flat Rate box full of those..

I never got in to Guitar Hero/Rock Band so I don't know much about them. I knew the wireless guitars have value but all the other pieces I just pile in boxes waiting to do who knows what with them.[/QUOTE] The thing I didn't know is that the PS3 version requires the USB dongles, so many owners lose those, and they can't use their guitars now. The GW I went to happen to actually tape the dongle to the guitar, so getting the complete set was a nice find.

Got a Wii Rock Band drum set for $5 where I picked up my 360 drum set for $5. Didn't know it needed a dongle for it when I tried to use it. Looks clean and turns on though.

[quote name='The Acacia Strain']You know you wanted the old exercise tapes![/QUOTE]

:applause: , but anyways of course there was stuff today when the sale wasnt going on.

Xbox with power cable- $10

Dreamcast with power and tv cables- $8

Xbox games- Blinx complete, Brute Force Platinum Hits complete, Crimson Skies complete, and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow with no instructions- $3 apiece

Gamecube game- Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4- $3

bread's done
Back