2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='corygbp']I missed out on Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 6, and Super Smash Bros Melee at my local Goodwill because they were all blue stickered and I was waiting for them to go on sale. They had them listed at $15 each so it seemed like a good deal but I guess someone beat me to them. Does goodwill change colors more than once a week for a sale? I feel like they always have a different color whenever I'm in there and I go a few times a week.[/QUOTE]

Goodwill usually changes their colors on Friday or Saturday.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Was having an off day at the thrifts until I spotted Einhander and Final Fantasy Tactics (black label) for 2 bucks each. You know how they say it only takes a second to score a goal? Well this is proof that it only takes one find to make the daily hunt worth it lol.[/QUOTE]

Nice pickups, Final Fantasy Tactics is probably in my top 5 favorite games of all time. I could play that game over and over. The other sort of sequels on the gameboys were such a let down in my eyes

Not much gaming wise at my Goodwills today. Just a Mario DDR kit with no game for $7, an Xbox with no cables for $20, and an Xbox with cables and two controllers for $30. Big deal.

On the bright side, I found an older model Roomba complete in the box with all the accessories for $25. It works and everything! I just took it apart and cleaned it out because it was filthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='silencedcricket']Just found and picked up a Dreamcast, 3 controllers, 3 vmus, and 14 DC games for $15. Gotta love Goodwill.[/QUOTE]

Nice pick up, post up some pics :D

I wish my goodwills and thrift stores had good stuff.

I found a genesis without cables or controllers for $20 then found a bag with the cables and controllers for $30, I walked out right away never bothering trying that place again.

[quote name='diazt350']Nice pick up, post up some pics :D

I wish my goodwills and thrift stores had good stuff.

I found a genesis without cables or controllers for $20 then found a bag with the cables and controllers for $30, I walked out right away never bothering trying that place again.[/QUOTE]

My goodwill used to price old madden games for ~20-30 bucks, however it has been somewhat of a gold mine lately

8644203010_cb020f79f9_z.jpg

This was a nice find. Picked this up at the local Goodwill for $24.99. It was marked Defective since the back of the case has a score in it from where it looks like the box was opened. I'll take it!

Today was a very Rock Band day. I think you can see that for yourself :)

8647050384_86b734ac4b_z.jpg

Went to another local thrift store and saw these guitars peeking out of a shelf. Upon further inspection, I noticed they were 360 guitars as well. I flipped them over and they were marked 50¢ each and labeled 'doesn't work'. I put new batteries in and played a song on hard on each guitar with no issues :)

8647051994_7986e06e62_z.jpg

Found this today at one of the local thrift shops. Originally the drums only had a price on them at $5 with the box with the guitar and mic in it. However, the clerk though it was supposed to be separate. The manager walked over and we started talking and said that they had made a mistake putting it out as one price. But she didn't want me to not buy it. She said that the guitar, drums, and mic were supposed to be priced at $5 each but she would let me take it all for $7.50. I agreed and will be back for more deals later.

Not sure if this is a good deal or not, but I got the following for 49.99 at one of the local Goodwills:

A charcoal N64 with expansion pack, 4 controllers, an extra jump pack, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of time, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, and a bunch of worthless sports games.

I was just happy to see any Nintendo items as my local Goodwills are usually dry.

Not a videogame or even my find, mom went to GW today and got a $130 Le Creuset Kettle for a whopping $6. Told me some lady was waiting for her to set it down then the lady was like "youre not gonna set it down are ya?". Mom said "not anymore!"

[quote name='blindinglights']I've had people follow me after seeing what I had in my cart a couple times. I usually call the person out on being so obvious.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've caught a few people trying to dig in my cart when my back is turned. When I catch them, they play dumb saying something like they thought the cart was stuff that just came out. Some of them may have been mistaken, but I know some weren't. :roll:

Found a Gamecube yesterday. No cords but there were two official controllers with it. It was wrapped in plastic but I was able to get the lid open enough to see there were a few games in it for some reason. Only one I could see was Luigi's Mansion but it was 14.99 and a disc only Luigi's Mansion is worth more than that.

There ended up being 4 discs in it but the other three were complete junk. Rocket Power, ATV 2 and NFL Street. None of them are worth anything, I might get 10 shipped for the 3 if I put them in a lot. Oh well, the two official controllers, the system itself and the Luigi's Mansion will triple my money.

- Sealed Disney Sing-It for $2.99 (for my 4 year old, loves to sing)

- A small hardback edition of Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan novelization for $1.00

Thought I'd take a chance on the book since it's a hardback with dust jacket in excellent condition. Amazon is all over the place, anywhere from $5 to $60 for the book...

Well didn't find much today. Lots of overpriced stuff. Saw NSMBWiiU for 40 and passed. Did find this though.
imag05161.jpg

Only paid a buck for it. I picked it up to flip since I know there's some resellers that check everything on the media shelves on ebay. Also came with a Utopia Boot disc inside.

[quote name='Conaboob']Not sure if this is a good deal or not, but I got the following for 49.99 at one of the local Goodwills:

A charcoal N64 with expansion pack, 4 controllers, an extra jump pack, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of time, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, and a bunch of worthless sports games.

I was just happy to see any Nintendo items as my local Goodwills are usually dry.[/QUOTE]

Great deal, id of been happy to pay $80

[quote name='Javansdaddy']- Sealed Disney Sing-It for $2.99 (for my 4 year old, loves to sing)[/QUOTE]
That game is surprisingly fun, but the lack of DLC is disappointing.

Picked up Gyromite and Wrecking Crew, (both with the 60-72 pin Famicom adapter) and 2 Worlds of Power books (Shadowgate & Blaster Master) for a $5.

Made a trip out to a place called Arcus Bros. in Bloomsburg, PA today. They're a pretty big pawn shop around here and never went there before so decided to check it out. Not too bad, they have a ton of stuff, some overpriced, but mostly fair. I was able to pick up:

- Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC, no manual) and Xenosaga Episode 1 (PS2 Complete)

Paid $10.60 total with tax. Not bad at all. I don't think they price check newer games, but he has a good idea about the worth of his NES/SNES/Genesis games. Might have to check it out again though.

[quote name='jk17866']Made a trip out to a place called Arcus Bros. in Bloomsburg, PA today. They're a pretty big pawn shop around here and never went there before so decided to check it out. Not too bad, they have a ton of stuff, some overpriced, but mostly fair. I was able to pick up:

- Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC, no manual) and Xenosaga Episode 1 (PS2 Complete)

Paid $10.60 total with tax. Not bad at all. I don't think they price check newer games, but he has a good idea about the worth of his NES/SNES/Genesis games. Might have to check it out again though.[/QUOTE]

Never went inside because I thought, this is probably the only place in Bloomsburg where one might get shot.

Great haul today. These were almost all at thrift stores but there was 1 thing at a pawn shop and a couple from some retail stores (still good deals though).

Rayman 2 (N64): 4.99

X-Men Legends (GC): 1.99
X-Men Next Dimension (GC): 1.99
DBZ Budokai 2 (GC): 1.99
DBZ Budokai 3 (PS2): 1.99
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (GC): 1.99 (my 2nd copy in 2 weeks... I went from needing one to having a spare, lol)

A Boy and His Blob (NES) CIB: 1.99
Tetris (NES) CIB: 1.99
Lego Star Wars Complete Collection (Wii): 2.99

Rock Band 3 (PS3): 19.99

Okamiden (DS): 14.99 (this lets me sell my still sealed copy which is pretty sweet)
Tales Adventures (Game Gear): 10.99
Life Force (NES): 5.99

Rival Schools (PS): 14.99

Pretty happy. Keeping Rival Schools, Life Force, Tales, Rayman, Lego Star Wars, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, and both X-Men games. The rest will more than pay for it all. Only dissapointing part is that the store that had the CIB NES games also had about 8 CIB N64 games bundled with a system. Some good ones included Beetle Adventure Racing, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart 64, a few others. They wanted 150.00 for it all though and wouldn't separate. I don't collect CIB and frankly even if I did, it would have been an average price for this set. Annoying though, I'd have loved to grab those 3 games.

The last month or so has been fairly bad for thrift store finds, but I did pick up a PS1 multitap for $5 and a copy of Thousand Arms in really good shape for $2 at a local GW in the last week. Maybe if winter would finally go away more people would do spring cleaning and get rid of more stuff.

I also noticed a GW in my area is putting all the video games and consoles on an end cap instead of mixing the consoles in with electronics and games with cds and movies. They've also raised prices.

Went to my favorite thrift shop today (since it's the closest one, only about a block away) and got a pretty decent haul. Picked up this for about $75 with tax:

- Super Nintendo Console w/ hookups & 3 controllers (2 official, 1 SN ProPad)
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors (cart only), Super Mario World (cart only) & Robocop vs. Terminator (Complete w/hard cover)

Like I said, not too bad I guess. It bums me out a little though because normally they have no clue what they have. A few months ago I picked up some NES games (Mega Man 2, Super C, Zelda 2 etc.) for $3 a piece and N64 games (Pokemon Stadium 2, Star Fox, Goldeneye etc.) for $2 a piece. Plus some other purchases that are always really cheap. This time though she had her daughter look them up, otherwise I probably would've got the whole package for $25-30. Why do people have to wisen up?!

That's barely decent, I'd only have paid that if I REALLY wanted an SNES badly. I've sold SNES bundles on eBay with more and better games for around $50 or so. Then again prices on completed listings for SNES consoles are all over the place, so who knows.

[quote name='spmahn']That's barely decent, I'd only have paid that if I REALLY wanted an SNES badly. I've sold SNES bundles on eBay with more and better games for around $50 or so. Then again prices on completed listings for SNES consoles are all over the place, so who knows.[/QUOTE]

yeah, sorry, but this seems quite high...
the "daughter" is pricing high considering you walked in with $$ VS online with fees & shipping...
by paying that, you solidify the "daughter's" pricing...
IMO...

[quote name='Kovorkian']Never went inside because I thought, this is probably the only place in Bloomsburg where one might get shot.[/QUOTE]

don't you know, the places you might get shot always have the best deals!

Yeah, I suppose it's a little on the high end but not terrible, I should be able to sell it and make a few bucks still. I sold a snes with 2 controllers not too long ago for $56. Now I know they won't always go that high, but I should still get about $45 - 50 on that alone I'd think. Next time I'll haggle with them a bit though lol. Don't know why I accepted the first price this time.

[quote name='MasaTFC']don't you know, the places you might get shot always have the best deals![/QUOTE]

The point of my post is there is almost no crime in the area (I would estimate over 75% is on campus,), yet that place is just >.> Only place in town I have seen, that looks ready for a zombie apocalypse

Hey guys!

A friend told me about this site and I've been patiently waiting for my first post.

I just got back from a thrift shop near my place and picked up a purple Gamecube with the original controller, Wavebird controller and receiver, and all cables for 24 bucks. I walked out and opened it up and found a copy of Mario Party 7 too. I also picked up a copy of Wind Waker all manuals and disc in excellent shape for 6 dollars.

I've actually got a bunch of pictures from the last two weeks of deals I've scored, but they're on my computer at home so I'll post them later.

It's been broken console week for me, so far I've found these:

Original Xbox green Halo edition, $25 it won't power up but the case is in great condition so i might swap the guts with my working one

PS3 40 gb console with the YLOD for $20, it's never been opened so I'm gonna attempt a fix, I've been successful doing that once, and failed at it once. I figure it's worth a try to have a second PS3/blu ray player for cheap

[quote name='Olengie']Saw that one of my Goodwills had 10+ copies of Dead or Alive: Dimensions for some reason. :lol:[/QUOTE]

goodwill will buy target surplus, the one target I went to had ~20 copies of :wii: skylanders starter pack portal game and 2 or 3 characters

[quote name='Kovorkian']goodwill will buy target surplus, the one target I went to had ~20 copies of :wii: skylanders starter pack portal game and 2 or 3 characters[/QUOTE]

My Goodwills stopped buying Target stuff. According to the managers, they were losing money overall, since the majority of the stuff they were getting were broken Target returns.

[quote name='sp00ge']My Goodwills stopped buying Target stuff. According to the managers, they were losing money overall, since the majority of the stuff they were getting were broken Target returns.[/QUOTE]

They have to make little to nothing especially with how long the stuff sits. Hell I see the same damn target stuff from January at my local goodwill, its not going anywhere fast

[quote name='sp00ge']My Goodwills stopped buying Target stuff. According to the managers, they were losing money overall, since the majority of the stuff they were getting were broken Target returns.[/QUOTE]

Mine does get target clearance as well. However, it's hit or miss. I bought lego city undercover for $25 but passed on MvDK:Mini Mayhem for $20.

Speaking of Target stuff, at Goodwill today I saw the same dozen copies of MLB 2K12 that had been sitting on the clearance shelf at Target for the last 2 weeks, the only difference being that Target wanted $5.96 each for them, Goodwill wants $20 each.

/facepalm

So were road tripping to Texas for a cruise and I made the wife stop at a thrift stop. Picked up 2 wii guitars for guitar hero for $4

Stopped at another local second hand shop today and picked a few things up. Spent $40 total:

- Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64 (gray, cart only)
- Mega Man X3 for PC (complete)
- Mega Man X4 for PC (complete)
- Shenmue for DC (complete)
- Resident Evil: Code Veronica for DC (complete)

Everything is in really good shape, especially Shenmue it looks practically brand new. Was pretty happy with the purchase.

[quote name='Mirpkered']Mine does get target clearance as well. However, it's hit or miss. I bought lego city undercover for $25 but passed on MvDK:Mini Mayhem for $20.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I've flipped a few target returns on amazon from Goodwill. But I also saw Guitar Hero 3 I believe, where one store had it priced $20, another $15 and then another $6. (I had bought it a few days before visiting that one for $7 or 8 at Target)

Anyway, hit up the Salvation Army today. Nothing much, although I did grab some Pokemon tapes for 5 cents each for my nephew, and a Yugioh and Aaah Real Monsters for 25 cents each.

Then I went to the book sale at the local library as my sister was buying them books as they were $2 for a grocery bag. I found the comic book for Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and the digest of Spider-Girl Vol. 3 so I grabbed them.

[quote name='pyoobez']Yeah. I've flipped a few target returns on amazon from Goodwill. But I also saw Guitar Hero 3 I believe, where one store had it priced $20, another $15 and then another $6. (I had bought it a few days before visiting that one for $7 or 8 at Target)

Anyway, hit up the Salvation Army today. Nothing much, although I did grab some Pokemon tapes for 5 cents each for my nephew, and a Yugioh and Aaah Real Monsters for 25 cents each.

Then I went to the book sale at the local library as my sister was buying them books as they were $2 for a grocery bag. I found the comic book for Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and the digest of Spider-Girl Vol. 3 so I grabbed them.[/QUOTE]

I hit up that book sale in Lewisburg months back got a ton of books still didn't read them all

I found a snes, dreamcast, and Genesis at a Goodwill. All came with controllers and hookups for $20 each. Was going to buy the snes but it was really yellow and had a chip on one corner.

Another goodwill had a bunch of pc games including Ff7, 8 and a few Diablo games. Only thing I bought was My Neighbor Totoro DVD for $3.

I'm surprised you all are still finding stuff at these stores and pawn shops.

Everybody in my area ebays the good stuff and leaves a shelf full of sports games and other random generic titles.

Seems like the first few listings on a lot of older games are goodwill. And I hate them because they don't actually write item descriptions. It's all "(this game may or may not be broken, may or may not come with case or manual) BUT SUPPORT THE CAUSE."

[quote name='Seraphinianus']Seems like the first few listings on a lot of older games are goodwill. And I hate them because they don't actually write item descriptions. It's all "(this game may or may not be broken, may or may not come with case or manual) BUT SUPPORT THE CAUSE."[/QUOTE]

:applause:
Yep.
I hate seeing Goodwill listings on Amazon because the do the same thing except there really isn't a way for them to put up prices. So it's a complete crap shoot.

Most of the places I go to do at least check ebay for how much the games are worth, and some do tell me they list them sometimes too. But if I happen to stop by and they have the games there and not on ebay yet, usually they'll sell them to me a little cheaper than what they go for on ebay. Normally about half price I'd say, sometimes better if I do a package deal. It's very rare you find a place that has no clue what they have.

I was quite happy with my goodwill find this weekend... Got the dvds of the animated Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and Return of the King for a buck a piece, and all of the disks are damn near perfect

bread's done
Back