2013 Thrift Store Thread

I picked up EarthBound for $5 today...

Earthbound.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all I've been able to snag lately:
201309pickups2.jpg

201309pickups3.jpg

The food slicer was $6.99 and it came with a new blade still in the package. I haven't tested it with actual food yet, but it looks like it's in great shape; just needs a bit of cleaning. The VHS was 79 cents and the Leapster 2 was $14.99. Not a great price, but it's in good condition and my son absolutely loves it (it came with a free game download). Now when I play my games, he wants to sit with me and play his.

Had some luck today.  As I was in the store, I saw the guy bringing out some 360 games.  Ended up having 3 salvaged GTA V's.  There was another guy there who ended up grabbing two of them before I had a chance, but I still snagged one.  The top corner of the case is pretty damaged, but eh.  Wanted $30 for them, but I was okay with that.

Also picked up a sealed copy of Flipnic Ultimate Pinball for the PS2 for $2.

I just stopped at Goodwill 10min ago, and got:

-Gamecube console with power cable, av cable, Gameboy player(no disc), and the GAMECUBE COMPONENT CABLE

-wired xbox 360 rockband guitar

I just check how much the component cable is going for on ebay, and it's about $150!

Havent bought anything from my closest GW since the girl told me I had competition. Went to the other one and saw the controllers, zapper, and pad and actually walked out without them. Sit in my car, think for about 10 mins, go back in and get them. Ask the girl if they had a system in the the back, she said "it wouldve been on the shelf with that stuff if we did". Pay the $3 apiece for that stuff and start walking out. Guy asks if Im lookin for Nintendo stuff and I say "of course". Long story short I follow him down the road to his house, he pulls the NES mini and games from a box (just moved into the house a week ago) and says I can have it all for $20!

Havent bought anything from my closest GW since the girl told me I had competition. Went to the other one and saw the controllers, zapper, and pad and actually walked out without them. Sit in my car, think for about 10 mins, go back in and get them. Ask the girl if they had a system in the the back, she said "it wouldve been on the shelf with that stuff if we did". Pay the $3 apiece for that stuff and start walking out. Guy asks if Im lookin for Nintendo stuff and I say "of course". Long story short I follow him down the road to his house, he pulls the NES mini and games from a box (just moved into the house a week ago) and says I can have it all for $20!

That's great. I bet someone out there has paid $20 just for the box.

Hey Ill post again. Guess I jynxed myself for the better, these were $3 apiece at the GW I havent been finding anything at. Mario Kart was all by itself on the toy shelf so maybe my competition missed it. Hard to believe that 1 N64 game would be donated w/o anything else. 

Edit- what a difference in picture quality when Im outside compared to basement mancave blurriness! 

Picked up Dark Cloud and .hack infection (no manual) today, 3 bucks a piece.

had a copy of FFVIII but it was missing the manual and disc 4

Awesome find today.

Had the day off work today so I decided to drive around to three different Goodwill's and see if I could find anything. Two of them were an absolute bust, one had a few games but outrageous prices (becoming a trend with this store).

I spend about 10 minutes looking around the last one and it's looking like a wasted day. Nothing in the security case, nothing in electronics, books, DVDs. They have some bins out and I look though two of them and find nothing. Last bin and I find this:

Sealed Harvest Moon GBC in MINT condition (box isn't crushed or anything, which is amazing because it was thrown in a bin of crap) for $2.99! I never expect to find CIB games at a Goodwill, yet alone a mint sealed one.

Sticker came off nicely and it's now in a box protector, it looks awesome. I always wanted this game CIB since it looks so cool.

I also found a sealed copy of Final Round Golf 2002 for the GBA but that isn't nearly as exciting and doesn't deserve a picture.

Went back to the Goodwill later that day to look for more, no luck. I'll be going again tomorrow and probably all this week in hopes that I can find a sealed Pokemon Red or something... :whistle2:

Awesome find today.

Had the day off work today so I decided to drive around to three different Goodwill's and see if I could find anything. Two of them were an absolute bust, one had a few games but outrageous prices (becoming a trend with this store).

I spend about 10 minutes looking around the last one and it's looking like a wasted day. Nothing in the security case, nothing in electronics, books, DVDs. They have some bins out and I look though two of them and find nothing. Last bin and I find this:
Sealed Harvest Moon GBC in MINT condition (box isn't crushed or anything, which is amazing because it was thrown in a bin of crap) for $2.99! I never expect to find CIB games at a Goodwill, yet alone a mint sealed one.

Sticker came off nicely and it's now in a box protector, it looks awesome. I always wanted this game CIB since it looks so cool.
I also found a sealed copy of Final Round Golf 2002 for the GBA but that isn't nearly as exciting and doesn't deserve a picture.

Went back to the Goodwill later that day to look for more, no luck. I'll be going again tomorrow and probably all this week in hopes that I can find a sealed Pokemon Red or something... :whistle2:
That's awesome! I never played the original Gameboy/GBColor Harvest Moon games. I have never found anything that good at that great of a price.

Today's goodwill purchases:

sega dreamcast console-$5

sega dreamcast controller(official)-$3

PS2 fat console with power and av cords-$15

wireless xbox 360 guitar hero guitar-$5

Aliens versus Predator(PC, complete)-$2

Family Guy: Stewie the untold story-$2

a bag of legos(4 mini-figures along with a bunch of misc pieces)-$2

2-official gamecube controllers(1 silver and 1 purple)(both have terrible left analog sticks)-$3 each

I passed on a dreamcast starfire gun for $3, thinking that it was worthless. It wasn't until I got home and checked the going price on ebay, did I see that they go for $20 :wall:

Forgot to post this a few days ago, but my local goodwill has a butt load of unopened copies of blizzard PC games and products (star craft II, Starcraft Battle Chest, Diablo 2 battle set, WOW Battle set, WOW expansion games, strategy guides, tshirt, posters, etc). I'm talking about at least 100+ of blizzard products at $2.99/$5.99 each. Workers say they have more in the back lol. The thing is that all of them have "Return to Vendor" label sticker. Kind of remind me when I found 50+ copies of Sonic Adventure Dreamcast (unopened/sealed). Hella crazy.

h7xj.jpg

1qxn.jpg

yo5e.jpg

dwm8.jpg

I'm wondering if you live near a Blizzard/Activision distribution center or something.  Almost seems like they donated everything instead of destroying it.

Forgot to post this a few days ago, but my local goodwill has a butt load of unopened copies of blizzard PC games and products (star craft II, Starcraft Battle Chest, Diablo 2 battle set, WOW Battle set, WOW expansion games, strategy guides, tshirt, posters, etc). I'm talking about at least 100+ of blizzard products at $2.99/$5.99 each. Workers say they have more in the back lol. The thing is that all of them have "Return to Vendor" label sticker. Kind of remind me when I found 50+ copies of Sonic Adventure Dreamcast (unopened/sealed). Hella crazy.

h7xj.jpg

1qxn.jpg

yo5e.jpg

dwm8.jpg
I think that stuff came from Fry's. The price tags give it away.

Saw this in the case, honestly expected it to be $20-$30 based on previous "new" games Ive seen. Ended up being $40, still $20 cheaper than a store. 

I'm wondering if you live near a Blizzard/Activision distribution center or something. Almost seems like they donated everything instead of destroying it.
Yeah I do. There's frys sticker label on them. Maybe Frys returned them back to Blizzard and then Blizzard donated them to Goodwill?

Yeah I do. There's frys sticker label on them. Maybe Frys returned them back to Blizzard and then Blizzard donated them to Goodwill?
That's how I was picturing things happening, given they all have a "Return to Vendor" sticker on them.

My Goodwill also got some of those blizzard big box games too; I picked up Diablo 2 Battle Chest myself for 3.99

I had to laugh a little today, they had 2 little sandwich baggies with Magic cards in them. They marked them $20 apiece. Now if theres something rare in there im the one who deserves to be laughed at but im pretty sure its all Commons and they thought "oh Magic cards I think these are collectibles, put some in each baggie and mark them $20!" I think my other GW would just toss them in the toys and mark them like $3!

I occasionally see Magic card lots on offer at Goodwills, but I don't want to bother with the off chance there is a rare card in the mix.  Just not worth the effort for me, and if I did happen upon a rare card, I'm sure the eventual buyer will want mint condition anyways.

I've been having no luck (which is worse than bad luck) at GWs in the past month or so, best thing I came up with was yesterday getting two official Gamecube controllers in good shape, one solid Indigo, one half Inidgo, half clear, for $4 each.  Then again I haven't been going as often as I used to, so I only have myself to blame.

I haven't been going out much either, trying to curb spending with the Holidays coming up.

Did stop by a single Goodwill last night though because I was passing by anyway. Managed to find a copy of Teen Titans for Xbox for $2.99. Pretty great deal considering in complete shape (and this thing is perfect) the game generally goes for around $40.00. The PS2/GC copies are common and a lot cheaper but the Xbox copy came out 6 months later and is a lot harder to find. Even better, it is supposedly the best version with improved graphics and a better frame rate.

I need to go to thrift stores more often. A few weeks ago, I was at Goodwill and found a complete copy of Tomba 2.  I actually missed it with my first pass in the CD section.  I saw it and immediately grabbed it.  I guess the pink lettering on the spine didn't scream "Buy Me for $1.99" enough.  That and the case/wording was upside down.

2 weeks ago, I was able to pick up a Zelda: Four Swords Adventures that had a memory card in it.  Still haven't checked out what was on it.

I need to go to thrift stores more often. A few weeks ago, I was at Goodwill and found a complete copy of Tomba 2. I actually missed it with my first pass in the CD section. I saw it and immediately grabbed it. I guess the pink lettering on the spine didn't scream "Buy Me for $1.99" enough. That and the case/wording was upside down.

2 weeks ago, I was able to pick up a Zelda: Four Swords Adventures that had a memory card in it. Still haven't checked out what was on it.
For some reason, I get a kick out of checking what's on the memory cards I find. I don't know why.

Nice pick up on Four Swords Adventure! Reminds me of one of my best (and favorite) Goodwill finds ever. It was around this same time last year. I just started collecting games and going to thrift stores to look for stuff. I check out my closest Goodwill, walk over to the bookcase, and see a whole Gamecube lineup. We are talking a whole Gamecube collection. Probably about 30-35 games or so. Great stuff too - Windwaker, Master Quest, all the Mario Parties, Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon. It was beautiful. I pretty much grabbed a cart and literally dumped all the games in there, not even looking at the prices. I finally get around to checking the price - $0.99. Every game was a DOLLAR. Which is nuts because before then and ever since then DVDs/games start off at $1.99 and are usually more.

It was beautiful.

Four Swords Adventure was literally the only Gamecube game that I didn't get that day. Couldn't complain much though. :p

While searching for some cheap Halloween stuff at the crappy tweaker-filled thrift store down the street from my house, I realized that they have an assload of old games hidden away up on a shelf.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to look through them all and the prices were just so-so, but I did snag this for just $5:

201310pickups.jpg

The inner packaging is a little beat up, but the box is in good shape and the cartridge looks like it hasn't even been used.  I would've preferred an SNES copy, but I'm pleased nonetheless.  When I get a chance, I'll probably go back over and pick up a few more games.  Aside from sports and a half-dozen copies of Super Mario Bros., they had a CIB copy of Ballz (Genesis) and loose copies of Lion King (Genesis) and Home Alone (SNES).  No telling what might be in the other stacks.

Nothing game-wise, but thanks to others on this group I recognized a Yu Gi Oh Duel Disk for $1.50! Needs just a little cleaning, but the batteries work and the mechanism is tight. Hard to believe these are still selling on eBay for $50-$75...

Also picked up a pair of Harmon Kardon computer speakers for $4. Left behind a Bastard anime DVD collection (ep 1-6) for $3.99, not sure if I should have picked it up...

Nothing game-wise, but thanks to others on this group I recognized a Yu Gi Oh Duel Disk for $1.50! Needs just a little cleaning, but the batteries work and the mechanism is tight. Hard to believe these are still selling on eBay for $50-$75...

Also picked up a pair of Harmon Kardon computer speakers for $4. Left behind a Bastard anime DVD collection (ep 1-6) for $3.99, not sure if I should have picked it up...
nice find on the speakers, they are stock premium in my car and i have never complained.

probably shouldve grab the bastard dvds,

I stopped at a Goodwill today and didn't buy anything, but I did see an Atari with at least 30 games in the auction case. I probably should have snapped a pic of all of it too research prices for the games.

My little brother actually found this while I was at work. He texted me right away as he was pretty excited. He only paid 13 bucks for all of it.

v4nv.jpg

It was from the GoodWill closest to my house which I still can't believe because they like to mark up older games like crazy there too. I've passed on some many $30 console only n64's and stuff like that there.

Went out the first time since Summer. Didn't see much. Saw Gameboy marked for 49.95 and a couple of shovelware games. Also saw a couple Season Sets like 24, Monk, Psych, and The Office. Only thing I got was Lois and Clark Season 1 for $1.75. Maybe next time. 

N64 was $5. For some reason the other GW seems that a dirty N64 with 2 gross controllers is now glasscase/$30 worthy  :roll:

Mario Kart Wheel and Wiimote were $3.50

Not pictured is a $20 Bissell 3in1 vacuum that my sister wanted for $6 

I stopped at a Goodwill today and picked up a wireless guitar hero guitar for $4 and Pokemon Battle Revolution for the Wii for $7. I didn't originally think that the pokemon game went for much, but after checking it goes for around $20 on ebay.

bread's done
Back