2014 Half Price Books Thread- Post Finds Here!

Been meaning to post these from the sales last week, just went on the two 40% off days and grabbed these.  Guardian Heroes was $36 after the coupon, and Aria of Sorrow was $15 after.

med_gallery_350075_7875_17662.jpg

Very nice on the Guardian Heroes. I still need that one.

I grabbed a copy of Retro Game Challenge for DS complete today for $14.99. I was pretty happy with that, already have it but with the way it is selling complete lately I should make a few bucks.

Doesn't change that that is crazy. ;)

I'm guessing they just price things with the 50% off coupon in mind? I've got no HPB stores in my area, so I'm unsure how they operate.
They use Amazon used market prices.

Usually if there is something that you feel is priced too high you can actually go to the back counter, and speak to the stock manager, and you can haggle with them as long as it allows them to. The way it works with HPB is that they have two types of items, ones that can be changed in price due to either high demand/very rare), or the others which will allow them to move up and down on the price depending on what the Amazon marketplace has it marked as the lowest, and go from there.

Every single store that I've ever been to uses Amazon marketplace to price their items, but HPB also do NOT half set prices on anything except their books, since they are pre-priced on the books themselves, but the prices they put in their stores are all suggested prices, and those prices will vary from HPB to HPB. It really just depends on a particular HPB, and their stock manager, and how he prices things, and the possibility of haggling with them on certain items.

It's also good to check the dates of the price stickers on items as those items are usually the ones that they will be more than willing to haggle on if it's been sitting on the shelves for more than 3 months, and they just want to get it out of the store.

They never price things with any of the coupons in mind since the coupons don't happen all the time, but it also fluctuates from store to store depending on the staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like the above post should be included in the OP...
It's good info to have if you ever plan to shop at HPB, and will help you find killer deals when there aren't any sales, and their prices are not set in stone.

There is also a plus side to haggling too during sales as they will sometimes let you haggle down the price, but still let you use the coupon on the item after they adjust the price for you, but that will of course be YMMV as well, but could make it for some even better deals around the time these coupons show up.

Went to my local HPB yesterday and found a 'mystery' gamecube disc case for $25. Checked the games inside...

a bunch of meh games but amongst them, zelda collectors edition and smash bros melee. Sold.

They have just recently opened a Half Price Store in STL area and I was there for the Play Nintendo tour. I checked it out and I really like the store. Very clean. So where do these coupons come from? I have a load of stuff I want to take them and want to stretch it as far as I can.

Nothing major, but I picked up good shape Mario Party 8 (complete with valid CN code) for $15 yesterday, from a larger Wii / GCN trade in.  My wife loves MP8 and we used to always borrow it from a friend, figure I might as well finally own the game.

The other games I'll have to see if they will survive until the next coupon batch.

So how do we go about trying to haggle?

"Hello, I saw the price of _____ as being cheaper on Amazon Marketplace...I was wondering if you'd be willing to lower the price?"

Something like that?
That's usually how I do it.

I just walk straight up to the stock manager and tell them it's cheaper used on Amazon, and if they're will to lower the price, and they'll just pull up the item first, see what kind of item it is, and then check Amazon prices to see how low they can go to match it.

If the item is pre-marked as an item they can't lower, then they won't even go to the latter steps, and just tell you they can't do it right off the bat.

There is of course going to be some YMMV depending on the employees at that store, but I've been to several stores here, and none of them have ever given me any real problems with haggling the prices down since they technically aren't company wide, and at the stock manager's discretion of how to price.

If the item is pre-marked as an item they can't lower, then they won't even go to the latter steps, and just tell you they can't do it right off the bat.
Yeah I learned that's what the As-Is marking on some of the games while talking to one of their employees the other day. In most businesses that means to me all sales are final (which they aren't for HPB), but that is basically their code for something they can't go any lower on (typically because there is some sort of flaw, usually minor).

In pick ups, I went back and did the return and rebuy with MP8 to get it for $12, and ended up getting Advance Wars for $8 and a Platinum Wavebird w/ receiver for $20. I was tempted to keep waiting for better than 20% off for the Wavebird, but I don't think they are doing another 30/40/50% off anytime soon.

Yeah I learned that's what the As-Is marking on some of the games while talking to one of their employees the other day. In most businesses that means to me all sales are final (which they aren't for HPB), but that is basically their code for something they can't go any lower on (typically because there is some sort of flaw, usually minor).

In pick ups, I went back and did the return and rebuy with MP8 to get it for $12, and ended up getting Advance Wars for $8 and a Platinum Wavebird w/ receiver for $20. I was tempted to keep waiting for better than 20% off for the Wavebird, but I don't think they are doing another 30/40/50% off anytime soon.
There's a difference between the As-Is marking and what I am referring to though.

The pre-marking is actually in their system, and not the same as the As-Is marking, or other stickers they physically put on the box.

When they pull things up in the system, they are actually coded under different types of items, and certain items can't be lowered due to the specific item sku, and not necessarily the actual item they have on hand, so it would be the same at all HPB stores that the one item can't be haggled down as they are not allowed to as instructed by the system. They use a funny color coding in their system, and dependent on what color it's marked as in the system they are not allowed to drop the item down in price on some of the skus, and others it will be at their discretion depending on the stock manager.

Their refusal to drop down the price of the item are dependent on numerous different reasons, such as the item being in higher demand, or if it's a newer item usually. It can also be gauged by the specific stock manager depending on when the item was traded in to the store, and if they want to get rid of it if it's been there for too long, or try to hang on to it in hopes of it selling.

Yeah I don't know the differences between the yellow and red tagged items, I've always wondered that.  Also I see the $$ marking on some of them (always handwritten at the store I frequent), which is typically the higher dollar ones.

Thanks for the info Square, so far I don't really try to haggle on their prices, except for one time when a GCN game was missing a manual, and the manager said they already accounted for that in the listed price.

Yeah I don't know the differences between the yellow and red tagged items, I've always wondered that. Also I see the $$ marking on some of them (always handwritten at the store I frequent), which is typically the higher dollar ones.

Thanks for the info Square, so far I don't really try to haggle on their prices, except for one time when a GCN game was missing a manual, and the manager said they already accounted for that in the listed price.
When they do their pricing to Amazon they also price it accordingly to the conditions listed, so that's always something you can use to haggle with too. I've gotten them to lower the prices down on quite a few things that way when Amazon marketplace had an Acceptable listed way low, and they had theirs listed as a Like New price even though it was Good at best.

I got a retro roto Elecman and Shadowman today each for about $5 after the 20% off. Had no idea HPB sold stuff like this, probably would have been best if I never found out hah!

I found a copy of the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platnium Collection boxset for $45 yesterday and snatched it up right away.  I've been following auctions of this on ebay for a while and haven't seen one go for less than around $100, so I'm pretty happy I found it.

Got a Champions Return To Arms PS2 today in the clearance section for $2...It's scratched pretty bad and missing the manual but it has the original case and artwork and I can get the disc refinished locally for $3 so that's an easy $20+ on Ebay so atleast $15 profit with little effort.

saw a guy the other day come into Half Price Books and sell his kids old Playstation stuff (he clearly had no idea what he had). Half Price books offered him 78 bucks for the following: (which he took) I couldnt believe what he was selling

Tales of Destiny 2

Monster Rancher 2

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Breath of Fire 4

a couple of other less important PS1 games (crash bandicoot etc)

Capcom vs. SNK 2

Marvel vs. Capcom 2

a couple of other less notable PS2 games (Spiderman 3 etc)

They also wouldnt take a game he was trying to sell because the disc was missing (didnt get to see what it was but it was a capcom game)

Something was screaming inside me to step in and offer the guy 100 on the spot for everything, but I just couldnt do it. I was scared HPB would be pissed and Im a regular there so didnt want to upset them.

I did however decide to buy Monster Rancher 2, which they priced at 23.99. Paid for it and opened it up to find a Megaman Legends 2 disc inside. Ill take it! I realize now the empty case the guy took back was for this game. 

Its not a crazy thrift find, but Megaman Legends 2 disc only for 23.99 is decent enough.

Just picked up a mint copy of Mario Kart Wii for $7.99 w/o any coupon or anything, stoked because normally this HPB labels them around $17-20.  Going to replace my disc only copy I've had for some time.

Camelback and 21st Street
Good find, I haven't been inside that one since the coupon sale..at least I finally got the first six Star Trek movies on Blu Ray for $20. Lately the HPBs have slowed down a lot on video games. I miss the days when the took a lot of PC games...where they'd sit for several months and I'd get a bunch of them for like $2-$3. *sigh*.

I've been having pretty good luck with N64 games at HPB lately.  I found Goldeneye for $5 a few weeks ago and Bomberman Hero today for $7.  One thing I've realized (at least at my HPB) the prices are either amazing or terrible.  In the same case with Bomberman they had Super Mario Sunshine marked at $49 lol.

I've been having pretty good luck with N64 games at HPB lately. I found Goldeneye for $5 a few weeks ago and Bomberman Hero today for $7. One thing I've realized (at least at my HPB) the prices are either amazing or terrible. In the same case with Bomberman they had Super Mario Sunshine marked at $49 lol.
local HPB is selling cart only Super Matroid for $100

local HPB had some guy sell his entire collection recently due to him having kids and his wife pressuring him to make space apparently. Sigh...I have a feeling that will be me one day...

he had some awesome stuff - I picked up the following goodies and spent WAY more than I wanted...

SNES mini with all cords and 2 controllers - 40

Dreamcast Sonic bundle CIB and absolutely MINT (it was the bundle with sonic adventure and sonic shuffle from 2001) - 45

Castlevania IV -31

Misadventures of Tron Bonne - 45 (disc only)

Dark Wizard Sega CD CIB- 5

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo disc only - 1

Breath of Fire 3 disc only - 1

Darkstalkers disc only - 1

Final Fantasy VII missing disc 1 but otherwise complete and mint - 5

now a lot of those are not garage sale or thrift shop prices, but significantly less than ebay, especially the later 5

and if the guy is watching - youll know this is all going to a good collectors home!

local HPB had some guy sell his entire collection recently due to him having kids and his wife pressuring him to make space apparently. Sigh...I have a feeling that will be me one day...

he had some awesome stuff - I picked up the following goodies and spent WAY more than I wanted...

SNES mini with all cords and 2 controllers - 40

Dreamcast Sonic bundle CIB and absolutely MINT (it was the bundle with sonic adventure and sonic shuffle from 2001) - 45

Castlevania IV -31

Misadventures of Tron Bonne - 45 (disc only)

Dark Wizard Sega CD CIB- 5

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo disc only - 1

Breath of Fire 3 disc only - 1

Darkstalkers disc only - 1

Final Fantasy VII missing disc 1 but otherwise complete and mint - 5

now a lot of those are not garage sale or thrift shop prices, but significantly less than ebay, especially the later 5

and if the guy is watching - youll know this is all going to a good collectors home!
Never seen anything like that at Half price books.

bread's done
Back