2014 MLB Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Price to the Tigers. Austin Jackson to Seattle. Drew Smyly and Nick Franklin to Tampa. Also, Zobrist to the Pirates.

So Verlander said the A's got Samardzija because they were scared of the Tigers. What does the Price trade say about how scared the Tigers are of Oakland now?

And the Yankees get Martin Prado. I would've loved to have seen him back in a Braves jersey.

edit - I guess the Braves did get Emilio Bonifacio and James Russell from the Cubs for C Victor Caratini, who was still in A ball last I heard. So they gave up very little for some bullpen help and a nice utility player. Not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I just read on Twitter... Dombrowski has basically turned Curtis Granderson into Max Scherzer and David Price. Crazy.

Meanwhile, the Rays get a brown bag special in return. Hope they enjoy the half eaten stale sandwich they received for David Price. Ughhhh... fucking Tampa teams always let me down.

I'm not really surprised that the Indians traded away Asdrubal Cabrera and Justin Masterson, as they were both in "put up or shut up" years and neither did anything worth keeping around. I'll be interested in seeing how quickly they bring up Francisco Lindor to fill in Asdrubal's spot, whether that's this season or next.

So...the Yankees went out and got more light hitting infielders when they struggle to score more than 2 runs per game. What the hell was the point? I mean, it's not that Prado and Drew aren't decent...but how much of an upgrade over Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts is it really going to be? I guess these are "so what?" moves and they're just hoping to get lucky.

Longtime Braves broadcaster Pete Van Wieren died. I couldn't even begin to try to count how many Braves games I heard him call on TBS over the years. RIP.

More fantasy-related, but one of my coworkers in our league just dropped Corey Kluber, Garrett Richards, and Jake Arrietta....

Meh, I prefer when Strassy sucks. Though if the Orioles can keep winning series I won't care anyway. I honestly did not think the Orioles would do as well as they have against the AL West after the All-Star break.

I'm glad the Braves are getting the hell out of California after sweeps by the Dodgers and Padres, but the rest of the month doesn't really get any easier. Next seven series: 2 @ SEA, 3 vs WAS, 4 vs LAD, 3 vs OAK, 3 @ PIT, 4 @ CIN. I guess it's lucky to have the tougher opponents at Turner Field.

If they can make it through August with a halfway decent record, September looks to be way easier. The offense really needs to pick it back up, though.

You know the game's a blowout when Hardy, Jones, and Markakis are all taken out. And Delmon Young is playing defense.

Was it stupid hat giveaway day in Baltimore today? I watched a bit of the Cards/O's, and it seemed like at least 3/4 of the crowd had on straw hats or some shit.

From what I read, it seems like Garrett Richards suffered a serious knee injury covering first base. I hate to see another good young pitcher go down, but at least it wasn't another arm injury, I guess.

Also sucks for my fantasy team. He's been a huge boost since I picked him up from the FA pool about a week into the season.

From what I read, it seems like Garrett Richards suffered a serious knee injury covering first base. I hate to see another good young pitcher go down, but at least it wasn't another arm injury, I guess.

Also sucks for my fantasy team. He's been a huge boost since I picked him up from the FA pool about a week into the season.
I could be wrong but for some reason this made me think of Jair Jurrjens. Didn't his career get derailed by overcompensating because of hamstring injuries? It may not be an arm injury but he has to be careful how he pitches when he comes back so as to not put stress on his arm.

The Orioles got busy tonight, acquiring Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox and Kelly Johnson & Michael Almanzar from the Red Sox.

The Braves are getting no-hit by two Phillies through 8. I hope this jinxes it. It just adds to a real shitty day when your pitching is getting wrecked by Ben Revere.

A's got Adam Dunn. He said he's done after this year, so good for him that he'll likely finally get to see the postseason.

Agreed with Dunn. I always liked the dude back when he was an OBP machine along with that pop. I am surprised he doesn't want to try to work it out as a DH somewhere for another year or two, but perhaps he has already assessed the market and doesn't see the interest there. If that is the case, better for him to go out on his own terms.

The Braves are getting no-hit by two Phillies through 8. I hope this jinxes it. It just adds to a real shitty day when your pitching is getting wrecked by Ben Revere.

A's got Adam Dunn. He said he's done after this year, so good for him that he'll likely finally get to see the postseason.
That would be nice, but it would be a shame if it is a 1 game wild card and the A's lose. He did hit a 2 run homerun at his first at bat so things may be looking up after the A's' got their ass kicked by the Angels 4 straight.

It's funny how everyone was saying Detroit and Oakland were locks for the ALCS with their pitching staffs, and now it looks like they might meet in the wild card game.

I really hope the reason for Ron Washington's letter of resignation comes out soon. Him quitting seems to baffling that I can't wrap my mind around it. 

It's funny how everyone was saying Detroit and Oakland were locks for the ALCS with their pitching staffs, and now it looks like they might meet in the wild card game.
Both are in trouble if they keep losing. Oakland has gotten a lot closer to the rest of the Wild Card teams.

It's been a long time since Seattle has been in a playoff hunt this late. Although I think the 7 games with the Angels might cause a problem, then again the Astros have been playing really good as of late as well.

I give up on this team. They can't even beat the pathetic Rangers. Watching excellent start after start by Wood and Teheran getting wasted by this pathetic offense is enough to make me want to puke. I want Fredi Gonzalez fired. I want hitting coach Greg Walker fired. I want GM Frank Wren fired. fuck.

The Holland game I can understand but not beating the kid who pitched today is pretty bad.

Holland looks back. Hoping JD goes out and gets a starter in the off season.

I give up on this team. They can't even beat the pathetic Rangers. Watching excellent start after start by Wood and Teheran getting wasted by this pathetic offense is enough to make me want to puke. I want Fredi Gonzalez fired. I want hitting coach Greg Walker fired. I want GM Frank Wren fired. fuck.
They just need to re-sign Dan Uggla. Its clear they aren't the same team without him. :p. Do they still have a lot of pitching in the minors for trade bait this winter? It seems they are always stocked in that department.

They just need to re-sign Dan Uggla. Its clear they aren't the same team without him. :p. Do they still have a lot of pitching in the minors for trade bait this winter? It seems they are always stocked in that department.
Some, but not as much as in the past. I don't think they'll sign both Heyward and Justin Upton, so one of them might get moved since they're only signed through next year. We've also got Christian Bethancourt, so Gattis might be traded. I think he could wreck shit if he was playing everyday as a DH.

I don't know how Beachy and Medlen will bounce back after each having 2 TJ surgeries, but it's clear Teheran and Wood are the front end of the rotation now. I say Wren (if he's still got a job) probably lets Harang walk, and maybe Santana.

As tired as I am of this team under-performing, I'll hold out hope as long as they're within 3 games of Pittsburgh for the WC spot. They've got a 4 game series coming up in a week and a half, so anything's possible. Or at least I tell myself that.

As tired as I am of this team under-performing, I'll hold out hope as long as they're within 3 games of Pittsburgh for the WC spot. They've got a 4 game series coming up in a week and a half, so anything's possible. Or at least I tell myself that.
Definatly possible. I remember one year the Twins came back from 3 down with 4 to play against Detroit, so as long as they are in it anything could happen.

So if I want to buy tickets to see the Nats next weekend should I buy now or does anyone think the prices on stubhub will drop a little since the games don't mean much?

So if I want to buy tickets to see the Nats next weekend should I buy now or does anyone think the prices on stubhub will drop a little since the games don't mean much?
I don't know anything about the market, but if they're anything like the Cardinals then the prices will go up since the Nationals already clinched a playoff spot. I mean, the games should be all sell outs since it's the last weekend of the season and they're currently the first place team in the National League.

Crazy to think this next week will probably be remembered in the same way that Lou Gehrig's and Ted Williams' final weeks were. Obviously, great players retire all the time...but I think there's going to be something different about this one. With all the steroid scandals and "record breakers" baseball can't even brag about, this is going to be a big moment for the sport.

The games on 9/25 and 9/28 should not be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgS1lvqX8I

Yeah, it's gonna be nuts. I got 2 good tickets for the 26th at Fenway from a friend and paid $225...cheapest Stubhub price is over $300 for the same seats.

First game of Derek Jeter's last homestand last night...and he hits his first home run of the season at Yankee Stadium (his other 3 were on the road). The feels, man. I can't even imagine how this is going to build over the next 6 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY0s1dMbxcI

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back