20th Micro Coupon :(

MrSneis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
As some of you may know the Gameboy Micro 20th anniversary edition comes with a coupon for $10 off select Nintendo titles:

FFIV came out today, but only @ Fry's, after checking out CC and BB I headed to Fry's, the cashier looked at the 20th Micro coupon for $10 off, she clearly did not speak english as a primary language and had a hard time coming to terms with the roman numerals in FFIV. She brought the coupon to her manager who studied it for a good 5 minutes, she came back and said I had to buy the Micro WITH the game.

Slapped my forehead and left, *VERY* pissed off.

Waste of time/gas/energy.

Going to try the other Fry's in a few.

[quote name='Zon27']Hey, quick question.... does the 20th Anniversary Micro come with multiple faceplates, or just one?[/QUOTE]

Only one, IIRC.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm having the same issue as the OP.

I bought a Famicom Micro during the holidays at Best Buy but they were sold out of any of the games I was interested in so I asked the cashier if I could use the coupon by itself later on and he said sure. So now four months later I remember I still have it and try to use it on Mario Tennis(GBA) but they deny me and said that it was only valid at the time of purchase(unless I wanted to buy another Gameboy Micro) because of the wording on the coupon(something to the effect of "$10 off select Gameboy Advance games with the purchase of a Gameboy Micro"). Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm having the same issue as the OP.

I bought a Famicom Micro during the holidays at Best Buy but they were sold out of any of the games I was interested in so I asked the cashier if I could use the coupon by itself later on and he said sure. So now five months later I remember I still have it and try to use it on Yoshi's but they deny me and said that it was only valid at the time of purchase(unless I wanted to buy another Gameboy Micro) because of the wording on the coupon(something to the effect of "$10 off select Gameboy Advance games with the purchase of a Gameboy Micro"). Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

Same story with me. Purchased the micro on day one. I went to CC when FFIV was released and the CC manager told me I had to buy the micro at the same time. I told her that how was I supposed to buy the micro and the game at the same time if the game wasn't released at that time. Furthermore, how would I have the coupon if I didn't purchase the damn micro already. After 20 minutes of arguing, she told me that the CC doesn't accept manufacturer coupons. The first part is utter bull. Regarding the second part, I don't know what CC's policy on manufacturers coupons is but it seems like she told that to me to get me to leave.

I still have the coupon sitting collecting dust. I figure I'd go to Nintendo World and redeem it. They can't reject it there now can they?

IMO, the coupon has horrible wording. Whenever someone reads it, they think that you need to purchase a micro at the same time.

Circuit City accepts competitor's coupons for crying out loud, so I find it very unlikely that they don't take manufacturer's coupons.

You guys should send an e-mail to Nintendo explaining your problem caused by the confusing wording on the coupon. It wouldn't surprise me if NOA were to send you something to get $10 off or something else to make you happy. They have excellent CS. Worth a shot anyway. Either that or try again at a different store or with a different cashier at the same store.

So what's the deal with this coupon I mean if the employees say you have to use it when you buy the micro, but you can't since the coupon is still inside and in order to retrieve it you have to buy it first? Now that makes trying to save $10 not worth the trouble IMO. I was thinking of buying the Famimicro since I missed out on that Costco deal on the other two colors during the last christmas holiday, but with what I'm reading I guess I'll just have to wait for a price drop on all the micros the colors don't matter to me.
There going to pricedrop the gamecube soon, but not the micro? I guess I'll just get another gamecube since I have the gameboy player already, but only have the original GBA.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']So what's the deal with this coupon I mean if the employees say you have to use it when you buy the micro, but you can't since the coupon is still inside and in order to retrieve it you have to buy it first? Now that makes trying to save $10 not worth the trouble IMO. I was thinking of buying the Famimicro since I missed out on that Costco deal on the other two colors during the last christmas holiday, but with what I'm reading I guess I'll just have to wait for a price drop on all the micros the colors don't matter to me.
There going to pricedrop the gamecube soon, but not the micro? I guess I'll just get another gamecube since I have the gameboy player already, but only have the original GBA.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the coupon was on the front of the system box. I was gonna go and use my coupon today but I guess I'll wait since people seem to be having problems with them.

Did the register accept it automatically or did they have to manually adjust the price and fill out one of those yellow sheets? Thanks.

[quote name='sanjuro']Did the register accept it automatically or did they have to manually adjust the price and fill out one of those yellow sheets? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, I did get a yellow reciept. The cashier was able to make it happen though. Knew just what to do.

I think the coupon expired, didn't it? Nintendo rep came a couple weeks ago and pulled the coupons off ours.

Unaware of this thread, I tried to use the coupon at TRU this weekend, and they wouldn't accept it.

It wouldn't scan and couldn't be manually entered. They told me the same thing about the Micro and game being purchased at the same time. I was dumbfounded and after I left read the coupon over and the wording is very misleading/vague.

Any new news or better luck?

I also e-mailed Nintendo and they responded by telling me to call the 800 number. The woman looked up the coupon, found it quickly, and read the fine print along with me. She agreed that it was poorly worded but ultimately decided it should have been used when the Micro was purchased. Strike Two...

Strike three today at Gamespot.

Thought I was close, they said they would take it regardless, rang me up, and here the employee thought it was for 10% off. No sale....

Expiration is looming...

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']So what's the deal with this coupon I mean if the employees say you have to use it when you buy the micro, but you can't since the coupon is still inside and in order to retrieve it you have to buy it first? Now that makes trying to save $10 not worth the trouble IMO. I was thinking of buying the Famimicro since I missed out on that Costco deal on the other two colors during the last christmas holiday, but with what I'm reading I guess I'll just have to wait for a price drop on all the micros the colors don't matter to me.
There going to pricedrop the gamecube soon, but not the micro? I guess I'll just get another gamecube since I have the gameboy player already, but only have the original GBA.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='vietgurl']Actually, the coupon was on the front of the system box. I was gonna go and use my coupon today but I guess I'll wait since people seem to be having problems with them.[/QUOTE]

But some stores will have the Micro in a plastic anti-theft case so you can't get access to it until you've paid for it. Even for those that aren't in a case, you still have to tear the coupon off (perforated edges and all) to open the coupon and find out which games qualify. After it's off it's not going back on.

If anyone is still having trouble I'd bring that up to the cashier. There is no way to know which games qualify until the coupon is torn off, and to me it's pretty obvious that it shouldn't be torn off until after it is purchased.

bread's done
Back