$229 Mystery Electronics Item at Woot

If it is a Switch and was $179 (cheapest price during BF) I could understand gambling.. but $230 + tax doesn't seem worth it. Why pay more for a gamble when you could have gotten it cheaper without the mystery in November? I would just pay a bit more and get it elsewhere or wait for the new model it I didn't own a switch.

Chances are, if you're the type to gamble $230 on this, you'll probably do it again in the future and take a loss eventually
People can't magically time travel back to November and get in on that deal in February, not sure if you realize that

Wasn't the $180 deal from dailysteals? That's not comparable to a retailer deal, but then again neither is this (regardless of what's in the box)

It happened. Others will confirm.

I live 62 miles from where they shipped. Ground shipping is 1 day. LA county

Moreso questioning on if it's a switch. If it is, people would be jumping here to post "first" with a photo for the likes.

Yeah nothing crazy but they did say $230 for $300 msrp, so you couldn't expect too much. Tax is about 9% where I am but that's irrelevant, so ultimately it's a $70 saving versus buying a retail $300 one including a $35 eShop card.
Fixed.
I don't get why people compare post-tax cost to pre-tax cost on physical items anymore. Since the mandatory internet sales tax came into effect, the only way you can avoid tax on something like a Switch is by buying from a personal seller who isn't charging sales tax, making a trade or by buying one with trade credit from GameStop. So no, you didn't only save $30.

Don't know why people in here are complaining about the deal either. The mystery item was obvious (did you really think they were gonna piss off hundreds of people with a bait and Switch? Pun intended) and it's the best price on one outside of glitches and questionable FB Marketplace sellers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed.
I don't get why people compare post-tax cost to pre-tax cost on physical items anymore. Since the mandatory internet sales tax came into effect, the only way you can avoid tax on something like a Switch is by buying from a personal seller who isn't charging sales tax, making a trade or by buying one with trade credit from GameStop. So no, you didn't only save $30.

Don't know why people in here are complaining about the deal either. The mystery item was obvious (did you really think they were gonna piss off hundreds of people with a bait and Switch? Pun intended) and it's the best price on one outside of glitches and questionable FB Marketplace sellers.
Idk what just happened here, but I got charged tax on the order.

Edit: yeah, I thought I paid $240+tax, but you're right I paid $230 base price. However, since I paid tax, it makes sense to look at post tax savings.

$230+tax = $253
$300+tax = $330
eShop card = $35 (current deal going on at major retailers)

I value an eShop card for at least 80% of face value, but I'm being generous and saying 100%.

So savings are ~$40

Fixed.

I paid $244 for my non-glitch non-mystery Switch last year. Seems like people paid the exact same thing for something that had a chance of not being a Switch. How is it not obvious that this wasn't some amazing deal when there was such a risk involved? You're pretty naive to think the item was so obvious and a big corp is worried about pissing off a few hundred people.

I paid $244 for my non-glitch non-mystery Switch last year. Seems like people paid the exact same thing for something that had a chance of not being a Switch. How is it not obvious that this wasn't some amazing deal when there was such a risk involved? You're pretty naive to think the item was so obvious and a big corp is worried about pissing off a few hundred people.
$230 < $244 (unless you're including tax for some reason) and that's still a good deal.
The clues were obvious, you can read them at the beginning of the thread. And Woot is not enough of a household name that they can afford the bad PR of tricking hundreds of people into spending over $200 on garbage.
You're naive if you think that this level of bad PR wouldn't sabotage their bottom line.

$230 < $244 (unless you're including tax for some reason) and that's still a good deal.
The clues were obvious, you can read them at the beginning of the thread. And Woot is not enough of a household name that they can afford the bad PR of tricking hundreds of people into spending over $200 on garbage.
You're naive if you think that this level of bad PR wouldn't sabotage their bottom line.
My price was total price. That guy paid more than I did after tax. So yes, I am including total price vs. total price because that's how the world works.

Woot is owned by Amazon. How much more of a household name do they need to be? 75% of Woot deals are just Amazon using them to clear out inventory.

We don't need to encourage this type of foolishness unless you want all the good deals to be mystery crap. If it's predatory for .99 loot boxes in video games I have to think $230 mystery items is at least 230x as sleazy. Remember when Woot sometimes sent out Wiis in $5 bags of crap? That's some good PR. This is just dumb.

As a buyer of this deal, I have to say that I don't think this was a good deal given the risk. However, I found the whole thing entertaining.

Im pretty sure if this is not a switch and you thought it was you could do a chargeback on your credit card, especially if you ised an amex or discover card. I thought I read in my documents for my amex that if the store would not give you a return they would step in.

Im pretty sure if this is not a switch and you thought it was you could do a chargeback on your credit card, especially if you ised an amex or discover card. I thought I read in my documents for my amex that if the store would not give you a return they would step in.
You can't chargeback a product that they specifically told you is a mystery item under the guise that 'it wasn't a switch'

File a refund request online or by calling toll free 1-800-297-8019 within 90 days of your purchase. Before you file the request, make sure the merchant will not accept your request to return your item.
We will review your request. You can check your request status anytime online or by calling 1-800-297-8019.
If your request is deemed eligible, you may be asked to return the item to American Express. Please keep a copy of the shipping statement, so we can reimburse you for the shipping cost.
If your request is approved, we will reimburse you for the purchase price of your item, up to $300, plus the cost of shipping the item to American Express.
Good to Know
You will need to provide American Express with a copy of the original itemized receipt and your Card record of charge within 30 days of filing your request.
Purchases must be made in the U.S., including Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands. American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Palau, Guam and Northern Mariana Islands.
You can only use Return Protection if the merchant refuses your request for return.
Refunds are limited up to $300 per item, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year based on the date of purchase, per Card on the account. Any shipping and handling costs for the original purchase will not be refunded.
Items must be in working order, and not be visibly used, defective or damaged.

People (non-frauds) were actually considering this when it was still a mystery? lol. 

Eager to hear how this turns out. If you guys get a discounted Switch, well, mazeltov! If not, I'd be a little surprised. Not hugely, but a little.

Honestly, it's just wrong on principle to buy blind box items because they purportedly have a chance of being good. You're supporting the business model of lottery-style gambling for random chance items, which is ultimately damaging to consumerism as a whole.

The discount wasn't even good enough to justify the gamble. Plus, the old Switch will be getting a discount once the new revision hits this year.

Plus, the old Switch will be getting a discount once the new revision hits this year.
I agree with you on the gamble, but I'm not so sure this will be true. Granted, it's still speculation until an official Nintendo announcement, but it looks like the Switch revision might be a cheaper "handheld only" model, and that it wouldn't necessarily lead to a price cut on the console+handheld model.

I agree with you on the gamble, but I'm not so sure this will be true. Granted, it's still speculation until an official Nintendo announcement, but it looks like the Switch revision might be a cheaper "handheld only" model, and that it wouldn't necessarily lead to a price cut on the console+handheld model.
Yeah, depending on the revision, and if it is indeed a handheld only device for sub $200, I can easily see this unit staying at $300. There have also been rumors of a "Pro" type model as well, in which case I could see that one being $400, and this unit would still stay in the $300 realm.

Now of course, I don't see why they would ever offer a Pro unit, as what's the point? Many think it would be for the NS to continue to get support once the PS5/XBOX? finally reach the market, but then you would maybe see PS4 performance, which still leaves it wanting along side new gen hardware. And that new hardware would probably be priced similar, so I just don't see a Pro NS ever being needed, but time will tell I suppose.

No matter what type of new switch they come out with. It will be under produced and they will all be on Ebay for 2 or 3 times the price lol.

Yeah, depending on the revision, and if it is indeed a handheld only device for sub $200, I can easily see this unit staying at $300. There have also been rumors of a "Pro" type model as well, in which case I could see that one being $400, and this unit would still stay in the $300 realm.

Now of course, I don't see why they would ever offer a Pro unit, as what's the point? Many think it would be for the NS to continue to get support once the PS5/XBOX? finally reach the market, but then you would maybe see PS4 performance, which still leaves it wanting along side new gen hardware. And that new hardware would probably be priced similar, so I just don't see a Pro NS ever being needed, but time will tell I suppose.
maybe an updated model with a sharper screen that can run at docked clockspeed while handheld without having a large impact on battery life? though I saw a rumor the other day about them working on a smaller system, who knows

maybe an updated model with a sharper screen that can run at docked clockspeed while handheld without having a large impact on battery life? though I saw a rumor the other day about them working on a smaller system, who knows
Yeah, something like that would be OK, but then that should just take the place of the $300 current model, and just be considered a "New" version of the standard NS. Like how the Vita 2000 took the place of the 1000, as parts became cheaper and allowed for improvements, but still kept the same retail cost.

I doubt a pro model will happen. Nintendo has never been about the power. A smaller, portable only version you can fit in your pocket would definitely be more consistent with their strategy. I wouldn't put it past them to make it into a 3DS "Clamshell" type design when the entirety of the top half is nothing but the screen and the speakers and buttons and everything else are on the lower half. They've been using this design since the game and watch days.

I doubt a pro model will happen. Nintendo has never been about the power. A smaller, portable only version you can fit in your pocket would definitely be more consistent with their strategy. I wouldn't put it past them to make it into a 3DS "Clamshell" type design when the entirety of the top half is nothing but the screen and the speakers and buttons and everything else are on the lower half. They've been using this design since the game and watch days.
The new 3ds is more powerful than the original 3ds, so I don't think a spec upgrade is that impossible, other console makers are clearly having success with it

I dunno but my friend who just bought a 400k house, a 4K TV, spends thousands on D&D miniatures and books, on and on, etc etc is really saving money by waiting two years for that Switch hardware revision.  Last week, he told me for about the 5th time "I'm thinking about getting a Switch" as if I was supposed to be even more excited this time around.  I responded to him "you shit 300 dollars", "just get one, what is the problem", and he still hasn't bought it.  He's still committed to that (possible) hardware revision because it's going to save his life.

I sure do regret these two whole years of ownership when I could have saved like $50. 

The new 3ds is more powerful than the original 3ds, so I don't think a spec upgrade is that impossible, other console makers are clearly having success with it
And how many games used the New 3DS? I can think of Xenoblade that I got when they both came out and fire emblem warriors.

And how many games used the New 3DS? I can think of Xenoblade that I got when they both came out and fire emblem warriors.
Minecraft & Binding of Issac are the only others I can think of, and then of course all SNES VC offerings, which also wasn't much. LOL

That was a load of shit.  You can hack your vanilla 3DS and put a SNES emulator and roms on it and it runs fine. 

That wasn't the point of what I said, the new 3DS is a more powerful system at the basic hardware level, arguing about what games were exclusive or that SNES roms will 'run' on an old 3ds doesn't change the facts buckaroo

What I'm saying is the New 3ds may have sent Nintendo the message that doing the same for the Switch may not be worth it if hardly any developers will take advantage.

What I'm saying is the New 3ds may have sent Nintendo the message that doing the same for the Switch may not be worth it if hardly any developers will take advantage.
Yeah, this is the reality of the situation, as "N" barely uses the tech/gimmicks they invent, so the chances of anyone else using it is slim and none(and slim never even entered the building). Offering a "New" type NS is the best I think anyone can hope for, as it would just take the place of the current model, and offer smoother play and maybe a better screen w/cosmetic improvements at the same price of $300. Offering something along the lines of some upgrade, at $400+ that doesn't even meet current PS4/ONE offerings is a waste of R&D.

I do see a mini probably offering a better processor and possible screen at a lower starting price, so offering slight upgrades for the main "Switch" at some point makes sense. It just doesn't make sense for more than the standard current asking price, especially with cheaper equivalents in the market from others.

Yeah, this is the reality of the situation, as "N" barely uses the tech/gimmicks they invent, so the chances of anyone else using it is slim and none(and slim never even entered the building). Offering a "New" type NS is the best I think anyone can hope for, as it would just take the place of the current model, and offer smoother play and maybe a better screen w/cosmetic improvements at the same price of $300. Offering something along the lines of some upgrade, at $400+ that doesn't even meet current PS4/ONE offerings is a waste of R&D.

I do see a mini probably offering a better processor and possible screen at a lower starting price, so offering slight upgrades for the main "Switch" at some point makes sense. It just doesn't make sense for more than the standard current asking price, especially with cheaper equivalents in the market from others.
I love for one to have better battery life and be lighter

bread's done
Back