24" Monitior which one?

armyjon99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
96 (100%)
Ive looking in the market for a 24" monitor and here is what I came up with.

Gateway

Dell

Samsung

Id mainly be using it for my xbox360 and maybe a ps3 if I ever break down and buy one. I mean gateway says it supports 1080P playback but I don't see dell and samsung saying the same thing. I know the res. is high enough on both the samsung and dell to display 1080P but I would like support. So do you know which one would be a better buy for me?

the gateway saying it supports 1080P is just marketing. If the monitors get to 1920 x 1080, like the other 2 do, then they will output 1080P. My guess is that the gateway is being marketed as a tv monitor while the other 2 are as a computer monitor.
Personally, i would go with the Samsung. They have always had great LCDs and haven't failed me yet. However, that being said, you most likely would be perfectly happy with any of the 3.

Well, I bought a Dell 2405 a couple of years ago, and have been very happy with my purchase. They have since updated the models though and I'm not up to date with the current options.

So what I'd see about is which has the best inputs (My Dell has Component, S-video, DVI, Analog Monitor, and composite inputs, I'm assuming the newer Dells have at LEAST this)

As for dead pixels I think there policy was 3 or more, and luckily I have not seen one die yet doing the test for it.

Also, I'd look and make sure the monitor can rotate to an upright position, really helps for browsing the web.

and yes, as Spam said the 1080p is just marketing, you'll get the same pixel by pixel representation with 1920x1200 with 1080p inputs.

Love Love Love my samsung. I've bought 3 for myself and family members and I haven't seen one dead pixel yet.

The best 24" Monitors IMO are the BenQ FP241W ($690/Newegg) and LG 246WP-BN ($599+Tax/BB) , Dell's 2407WFP-HC is a runner up but generally has more complaints than the first 2. All 3 of these BTW are 8-bit panels, most others are lower quality TN 6-bit panels with less colors/worse viewing angles. The lowest price is Samsung's 24" IIRC ($499/CC) but this is for good reason. It has gotten many complaints on the net from "picky" users and it's not all that great compared to their smaller 226BW S Panel/226CW. Also avoid that Gateway, it's priced usually in the $700 range and offers much lower contrast ratio and panel quality than their competitors.

The first two are your best bet because they offer HDMI. Be aware most PC LCD's don't have HDMI right now and expect you to use DVI-HDMI Cable for say a ps3
which leaves only the VGA out for your PC which results in serious degradation of image quality. I have an LG 24" and I'm waiting on an HDMI switch so I can use my PC/PS3/360 simultaneously through HDMI + VGA. If you were going PC only route I would stick with the cheapest you can find, otherwise look forward to buying a more expensive monitor!

Shame on Westinghouse for discontinuing their 37w3 1080p monitor. That leaves us with 720p LCD TV's for 32/37" panels in the sub $1200 price range i.e. a downgrade in resolution as a PC monitor for most of us :(

Yes I've been researching this for a long ass time!

bread's done
Back