250GB drive (replaces PS3 drive) - $36.99 FS Newegg/Amazon. Also 500GB $49.99 Newegg

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVT 250GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136387 Regular price $46.99.

Also at Amazon for same price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IKRKO0/?t=cheapassgam08-20&tag=slicinc-20
===========================
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136314
Use promo code EMCZZYX33

Thanks to kosmos13x for 500GB.
Thanks to Commy for Amazon info.

Not an amazing deal, but decent enough if you're looking for an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nod, not too bad, ive done a couple in my day.
Right now I have 2 120gb 360s drives in my pc on a raid0 for fun.
The slims, I dunno. I havent read any documentation on them but that little enclosure from the quick look ive given it its sealed from inside and doesnt look like you can open it without breaking it.
However you should actually be able to just find something to put around the drive like rubber bands to give it size and stabilize it and just drop the drive in since slims just have standard sata connectors.

[quote name='cheeky']Decent deal but i probably wouldnt bother upgrading to anything smaller than 500gb.[/QUOTE]

You need to do a special flash of the drive with specific firmwares based on the regular 360 drives, and I don't know if there's any that are higher than 250gb.

[quote name='cheeky']Decent deal but i probably wouldnt bother upgrading to anything smaller than 500gb.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i agree here.. Anyone know of a good hard drive to replace the 160gb one in the PS3 Slims... I'm going for 500gb.

I put this drive into my xbox 360 works like a charm upgraded from 20gb and was super easy to do. So yeah not only for ps3!! This is the largest drive you can hack right now to use in xbox. Also no problems with live.

^ really? even with xbox continually vigilant against 3rd party devices?
Is there a FAQ for this? 20gb + 16gb USB only goes so far

[quote name='CKaz']^ really? even with xbox continually vigilant against 3rd party devices?
Is there a FAQ for this? 20gb + 16gb USB only goes so far[/QUOTE]

Ckaz, I think one of the reasons this has been successful without Microsoft banning people from doing this is because people are changing a file in the Hard drive itself to make the Xbox think its an official hard drive and technically Microsoft can't really check this. Think of it like putting a Ferrari body on like a Volkswagen frame and engine, from the outside you wouldn't be able to tell its a fake until you open up the hood and notice theres a Volkswagen engine in there. I really don't think Microsoft has a way to check that a hard drive is fake once that file is changed unless they physically see it.

As far as links, I believe we can't post up links for stuff like that or we might get banned, but if you Google it you will find guides. I found one and it looks like if you have common computer knowledge its real easy to do.

I have an 80 w/ less than 4G left...think i might get this. there's enough vids and walkthrus around to make this pretty easy to switch out, right? And stuff that explains how to backup and/or re-download gameshare stuff?

[quote name='serge2k']Kosmos, thanks for the post. I pulled the trigger for my ps3. Came out to 49.99 and free shipping and no taxes... I'm in NY and i swear that every time i shop in newegg they charged me taxes... oh well good deal, thanks again.[/QUOTE]

NP. Saw that you and a couple of others were wanting a 500gb (which I agree with, going less than 500gb is not getting the best bang for the buck). Hope it ships fast and works out for you!

I actually just got a 320GB BEVT last week for $40 from Newegg for replacing my 360 drive (I know it's only capable of 250GB, but I'll probably put it in an external enclosure if/when it gets replaced).

Still a decent deal, though. Plenty of awesome deals on Newegg anyway!

[quote name='jd302426']once you take out the ps3 drive how do you then use it as a pc drive?[/QUOTE]

First off you will have to buy an external enclosure for it. Once you put the hard drive in the enclosure it will work as any external hard drive would. You more than likely will need to format it under windows.

You can also just plug it right into your PC, internally, as long as you have a space SATA power and data cable. These laptop SATA drives are completely compatible inside of a desktop PC. It has the exact same connectors as a full size 3.5" internal SATA drive.

You may need to reformat it to NTFS once you boot up your PC.

[quote name='serge2k']First off you will have to buy an external enclosure for it. Once you put the hard drive in the enclosure it will work as any external hard drive would. You more than likely will need to format it under windows.[/QUOTE]

Got one of these last week to replace the 20GB refurb hdd I bought to go with my Xbox 360 Arcade a year ago. Backed up my downloads and games saves to the new 250GB hdd, works perfectly! :D (If someone is interested in doing the same for their X360 here are the instructions I used)

Go with the 500gb if you have to upgrade, because it's a pain to upgrade again if you fill up the hdd. 500gb is not much, my hdd is 70% used already :whistle2:( (i don't delete game installs, to me it's not necessary and I play all kind of games). On top of that, I got crap load of PSN games (my own, shared, freebies etc). Then almost every free themes :lol:

Great prices on the hdd, especially the 500gb, not bad at all!

Thanks for this, I was just looking to finally upgrade from my 20GB and didn't realize it was so easy to use a regular SATA drive, saves a ton of money over the MS drives :D

Also, if your old 360 hard drive is running out of space, with a little hackwork you can use this exact model (2500BEVT) of 250GB hard drive to work with your 360. I upgraded from my piddly 20GB last week and it's been working fine since. Just follow this guide here:

http://www.gamerwok.com/main/2010/7/15/how-to-make-your-own-xbox360-hard-drive-2010-edition-diy.html

You don't have to void your console's warranty at all, only the warranty for the hard drive (which shouldn't matter, if the 360 breaks you don't need to send that in at all, which I can also tell you from experience), and Xbox Live still works fine.

I hate to do this, but someone backed out of a deal with me and I am left holding the ball. I am trying to sell my 250GB WD HD (WD2500BEVS). I used it in my PS3 for approx a year and it wasn't used very much while it was in the PS3. I am looking to get $30 for it shipped. Again, sorry to do this but someone who agreed to buy it a month ago recently changed their mind and I am trying to sell it since I am low on funds.

hey guys i have a question. i have a 80 gb ps3. i recently got an external drive; seagate 1.5 TB drive from OD for $24. can ps3 play movies off of an external? it would be a huge convenience to play it off of my external rather than transferring it to the actual hard drive.

[quote name='david12795']hey guys i have a question. i have a 80 gb ps3. i recently got an external drive; seagate 1.5 TB drive from OD for $24. can ps3 play movies off of an external? it would be a huge convenience to play it off of my external rather than transferring it to the actual hard drive.[/QUOTE]

As long as the external is formatted Fat32 and not NTFS your PS3 should be able to play those files i believe. I can't remember which format it supports thoe.

[quote name='Marauder7']As long as the external is formatted Fat32 and not NTFS your PS3 should be able to play those files i believe. I can't remember which format it supports thoe.[/QUOTE]

thanks. :D

i was PM by another CAg thats its fat32. now to get this stupid drive to recognize my computer.

[quote name='Marauder7']As long as the external is formatted Fat32 and not NTFS your PS3 should be able to play those files i believe. I can't remember which format it supports thoe.[/QUOTE]

It plays AVI, passed that I'm not sure what other formats but most videos/movies are in AVI anyway, it also apparently has DivX codec installed already. I play my movies from a usb thumb drive.

Just bought it. Thanks OP!

I was wondering if anyone knew if I can format this drive using windows (fat32) and then stick it into the ps3?

Don't cheap out and buy the 250, get the 500 scorpio blue and if possible don't buy the bare drive but the packaging version because I found one a while back for $65 in retail pack and it really protects the drives good when shipped in that box along with another box. I installed the 500gb drive in my 60gb version a while back and it's really nice having all the space you want and it will fill up fast than you think especially with the new game drive install sizes.

[quote name='ps2emotions']I installed the 500gb drive in my 60gb version a while back and it's really nice having all the space you want and it will fill up fast than you think especially with the new game drive install sizes.[/QUOTE]
Does it still retain the PS2 backwards compatibility even though you swapped out the hard drives?

[quote name='Asperatus']Does it still retain the PS2 backwards compatibility even though you swapped out the hard drives?[/QUOTE]

I personally don't use my ps3 for ps2 games but I've read before that changing the hdd don't have anything to do with backward compatibility.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I upgraded my 360 drive from a 20gb to the 250gb without any problems - took all of 15 minutes to do. Was able to back up my data from the 20gb onto a flash drive prior to installing the new drive. Thanks OP!

[quote name='mrwogs2']You can also just plug it right into your PC, internally, as long as you have a space SATA power and data cable. These laptop SATA drives are completely compatible inside of a desktop PC. It has the exact same connectors as a full size 3.5" internal SATA drive.

You may need to reformat it to NTFS once you boot up your PC.[/QUOTE]

In fact, many in the silent PC community use 2.5" drives in desktops because they are quiet and emit less heat.

[quote name='vherub']here's another popular ps3 drive for $55, 500gb, 7200rpm, 16mb cache

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374[/QUOTE]

So this will work with my ps3 slim? just unscrew the two screws in the front and slide out. When you buy the drives are they already formatted to fat 32? and how might i go about doing that on a mac if i have to format it myself? Sorry for 20 questions. Just new to the laptop hard drive swapping and this deal is something I wanna jump on!! And a SLIM can have a 7200 drive in it?!?!

bread's done
Back