250GB hard drive for PS3 for $85!! (rebate)

metrognome

CAGiversary!
I'd been holding out since launch to upgrade my hard drive but this deal was pretty sweet. Before the rebate its $115 after shipping but you get a $30 rebate. Its only good if purchased by 3/31 and you have to postmark the rebate by 4/30. Shipping was quick and after I recovered my saves and redownloaded games, demos, etc. I got like 198GB free space!! (total drive capacity reads as 232GB)

check it out here...

that sucks, guess ill post my experience. I am mailing in my rebate tommorow.
for the record, the rebate coupon looks like its from Hitachi and says its good at CompUSA as well...(too bad all the local stores here closed.)

This deal was first posted about 3 weeks ago on SD because it's a good laptop HD, but I guess it could also be a good PS3 hd as well. Does anyone know how bad/ok it might be to have a 5400 rpm hd in a ps3?

by the way, what on earth would you need that much room for?

In 1992 my Dad bought a 100 MB hard drive, I said to him "What on earth would you need that much room for?"

[quote name='Demontooth']In 1992 my Dad bought a 100 MB hard drive, I said to him "What on earth would you need that much room for?"[/quote]

times change. it will continue to grow. 1 terabyte is becoming the new gigabyte.

from those i've talked to 5400 is pretty optimal and 7200 is still gravy as far as i know although it may add a little heat. As far as needing all the room, I am just gearing up for the rest of the year. Once in game music is enabled, i'll be loading up my library, plus who knows how much space you'll need to pimp out HOME, and of course the juicy rumor/news that DVR capability could be added by the end of the year. (keeping fingers crossed on the last one!)

[quote name='AlphakirA']Is the HD easy to switch? I may do this, but not if it's a hassle. Thanks for the info btw[/quote]

super easy, took less than 5 mins. jsut make sure you have a set of those tiny glasses screw drivers.

[quote name='Justin42']I think the HDs that Sony ships in the PS3s are 5400rpm, so you should be fine...[/QUOTE]

Yep, from what I read when replacing my hard drive, a 5400rpm drive is recommended since that is what Sony puts in the PS3. Conversely, I have not heard of anyone putting a 7200rpm drive and having it overheat or mess up the PS3.

[quote name='mitch079']Yep, from what I read when replacing my hard drive, a 5400rpm drive is recommended since that is what Sony puts in the PS3. Conversely, I have not heard of anyone putting a 7200rpm drive and having it overheat or mess up the PS3.[/quote]

I have. I've heard of some extreme overheating with a 7200rpm drive. That's why I bought a 5400rpm'er. It wasn't this drive though.

[quote name='metrognome']...and of course the juicy rumor/news that DVR capability could be added by the end of the year. (keeping fingers crossed on the last one!)[/quote]I haven't heard that, but have wished for it. How would it work since there are no "IN" ports though?

[quote name='AlphakirA']Is the HD easy to switch? I may do this, but not if it's a hassle. Thanks for the info btw[/quote]

CNET has a video where they switch out the HD. You can see it here. I can't confirm to how if its as easy as they make it out to be since I've haven't swapped mine out.

I just tried purchasing this through COMPUSA and got a cheaper shipping. Just thought you guys might wanna try it there.

The only thing to worry about when switching out the HD is that the screws are sometimes in there very tightly. You can easily strip the screws. I did on a couple. But I ended up taking a small pliar, layed it flat on the screw and got it off that way.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I haven't heard that, but have wished for it. How would it work since there are no "IN" ports though?[/quote]
It would be over the intertoobs, and just go through the same connection you use for online play and DLC from the PSNstore.

The Tiger deal is gone, but since storage prices only go down, just wait a bit longer and 250GB drives will be under $100 everywhere you go ... but you'll be tempted by a 500GB or larger capacity device by then.

I'm curious as to the need for such a large HD for the PS3. I've got the 60gb version and I've probably filled about 7gb of it after almost a year. I'll never even use 3/4 of my drive. The DLC is pretty weak on the PSN.

It's stuff like this that simply reminds me of how annoying Microsoft's proprietary hard drives are.

I'm curious as to the need for such a large HD for the PS3. I've got the 60gb version and I've probably filled about 7gb of it after almost a year. I'll never even use 3/4 of my drive. The DLC is pretty weak on the PSN.
Well, the entire PSN should be getting a little more robust as we move along, so that is certainly a consideration. Plus, you need to keep in mind games that install to the hard drive. Unless you want to delete the content and have to re-install everytime you want to return to the game, it's a good idea to have a large drive.

here-http://www.games.net/external/109721/138288/gamepro/7200rpm-vs-5400rpm-does-ps3-hard-drive-speed-matter/

[quote name='kklems']Good deal except that it is via Tiger Direct which in the past has been notorious about not paying rebates.[/quote]

You should never be sending the mail-in rebate to the retailer. It goes to the manufacturer... I think you're confused.

Not all rebates are issued by the manufacturer. A lot of Staples' rebates are from them, which is why they even started their special redemption system, the EasyRebates.

I don't deal much with TigerDirect, but I have always heard bad stories about their rebates, so I will assume some of them are issues by them.

[quote name='klingon666']Dam quick and easy process............................[/QUOTE]

Edit is your friend.

But I agree w/ the drops in prices.

For example - 250gb external from WD has been on sale for the past two weeks ranging from 99 - 129 before any coupons.

But that thing is a PIA to crack open - but it is possible.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not all rebates are issued by the manufacturer. A lot of Staples' rebates are from them, which is why they even started their special redemption system, the EasyRebates.

I don't deal much with TigerDirect, but I have always heard bad stories about their rebates, so I will assume some of them are issues by them.[/quote]

This one was actually from Hitachi and that is where I sent it. Hope a few attentive CAGs took advantage before the deal was done, I know I did.

As far as the storage capacity needs, I knew with my 20GB I was gonna need the space and there was no sense in putting anything less than the largest possible drive so i dont have to do it again in a year when Home is up and cranking, more Fully Downloadable games are available, plus music, movies, game installs, etc. etc. To me one of the best selling point of the PS3 has been its future capabilities. With the hardware in it, they can make it perform nearly any media task with a simple update. In other words, the future is boundless. And in comparison to Microsofts strategy of "Microsoft ONLY" addons and such, being able to find the best deal in an open market is a breath of fresh air.

bread's done
Back