28 Reasons to "Hait Gamestop" - updated 02.15.08

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in this thread, but I'm going to complain about it anyway.

Probably about a year ago, my local GS started putting the spine stickers ON the insert itself. This... baffled me. Fine, put all the stickers you want on the case, since I can clean that or even get a new case, but don't potentially ruin something that I can't replace easily. I won't lie, it's definitely cut down on my spending in both of the GS near me. To be fair, though, any time I've had a problem with getting that sticker off, the manager at the one has always been extremely cool about letting me switch it out for another insert, but it's still a hassle that I'd rather not deal with.

The best part is... it's only up here. Back home (outside of Pittsburgh), I've never seen a GS do it. I assume it was some sort of area decision.

For reference, yes, I'm a bit OCD about my games. :lol:

Unless there's a sale, I nearly stay completely out of GS at this point. I've found that I do better driving home every other weekend or so and just going to The Exchange to drop lots and lots of green paper at once... which is literally the only reason I even drive back home.

[quote name='007']I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in this thread, but I'm going to complain about it anyway.

Probably about a year ago, my local GS started putting the spine stickers ON the insert itself. This... baffled me. Fine, put all the stickers you want on the case, since I can clean that or even get a new case, but don't potentially ruin something that I can't replace easily. I won't lie, it's definitely cut down on my spending in both of the GS near me. To be fair, though, any time I've had a problem with getting that sticker off, the manager at the one has always been extremely cool about letting me switch it out for another insert, but it's still a hassle that I'd rather not deal with.

The best part is... it's only up here. Back home (outside of Pittsburgh), I've never seen a GS do it. I assume it was some sort of area decision.

For reference, yes, I'm a bit OCD about my games. :lol:

Unless there's a sale, I nearly stay completely out of GS at this point. I've found that I do better driving home every other weekend or so and just going to The Exchange to drop lots and lots of green paper at once... which is literally the only reason I even drive back home.[/quote]

Yeah, this seems to be a theme that runs through a lot of topics that pertain to GameStop and used games. Why anyone thinks it's a great idea to put sticks on the actual inserts (I've even seen them on the instruction manual!) is way, way beyond us.

i think they do that so that it'll be easier for them to scan it once someone trades it back in? or maybe employees are so incompetent that they have to have all 4 barcodes on the case. ive seen them put stickers on the case, top right corner of the insert, the side bottom and over the barcode. heck i remember them even doing it on the manual. yes the manual for my marvel vs. capcom 2 when i bought it used had a used sticker on it. and i hate how when something gets marked down they just put it on top of the other stickers. so you end up with like 3 or 4 stickers on top of each other.

/rant over *whew*

i also remember the time when they turned all those phoenix wright onto used games since nobody was buying them (gutted) as new for $10. and since they f'in sell it for $19.99 used, might as well sell it as used. myself and other cags had confirmed this because they just put a damn sticker over top of the new sticker that says new.

I think they put the stickers on the spine of the insert to make it easier to "gut check" the games in the dump bins and gondolas. I could understand putting the stickers on the spine but I can't stand it when they put it on the inserts. They've been using stickers with a lower stick to them but it's still not fun to take those off.

Here is my problem with GS. The employees are awful. I don't mind them making a killing on used games hell I buy some newer games used (since I have the EDGE card) since I could take it back within 7 days with no questions asked just because I didn't like it.

Now the employees are awful. Not talking about the regular clerks I am talking about the Managers and Ass. Managers. I have 3 gamestops within a 1/4 of a mile of eachother (that were at one time Funcoland and EB Games before this) and the one that I have frequented most often the Manager staff is rude and smug.

Example: Go in and the game case is on the self for Nocturne and Persona 3. I get really excited and of course go buy both used. The Manager looks in the used drawer and looks at me and says nope can't find them. Sorry. I ask then why was it up there and in the inventory (online said it had a copy of both). He just looked at me a shrugged, the manager. No other explanation whatso ever. so I leave go to the one down the road and ask them if they had it they did (game only) so I buy it (good experience) ask that manager if he sees an issue if I go get the case at the other store. He said no chance they would have an issue. So I go there walk in and ask for the case. The rep looks for it then goes to the back and says they don't have it anymore (15 mins later btw) I said well if its in the trash can I will just grab it. HE said nope, they don't have it anymore. So obviously the Manager took it with the game for either himself, a friend or eBay (since I mentioned it was hard to find)

Example 2: I preorder Turok from the same store. Get a call saying that it will be ready for pick up tomorrow. I call at 12 to see if they have it yet. The manager answers and says that they got a shipment in but I would have to come in a check. So I do since they will obviously have the game (the recording said so) I get there and hand them my reciept with the preorder on it requesting my game. The guy looks at it grabs it from a drawer and was about to sell it to me until the assistant manager says they can't sell it until the 5th. I argued saying then why the fuck did I get a fucking phone call from your company saying that it will be ready. He said that I must have been mistaken since it won't be released until the 5th with a no-sell deal on it. I proceeded to ask him to double check he said no. I went to the other GS with my reciept and expressed my issue and they gave me a copy of Turok with no issue

Now I have had similar experiences at other GS (two in MD and one in another city in NoVA) and if it wasn't for that one store with the decent employees and Management staff I wouldn't be going back ever

Hmmmm. joshnorm. I think we may have to do something about those situations where they have a case and no game. I've been in that situation too a few times. Here's what we do. Next time they have a case on the shelf but no game we take the case. They have no use for it right? What can they say. HTey have something represented that they don't have. If they want the actual case then they can have it but the insert and instructions are now mine. There's no use for it right, they don't even keep old magazines in the store so why would they keep somethng that now has no use right. Even you said the guy said they just tossed it out right? Even if it's a crappy Madden game and this happens we should do this. Why? Because if they do happen to have a game that's represented with a full box and instructions on the shelf and they just happen to "not have it" then someones probably teying not to sel it to you because they want it but didn't know they had it in stock. You take away the case and no one will want it anymore... until you go back there a month later and see a generic box for that game that they "didn't have". I don't know if you realized it but you just sparked something that's soon to be a revolution. In fact I'm putting that on my sig. We need to start a rule likst. Much like the Man rules or the rules to Fight Club.

if you know its a rare game or a game you really wanted and could not find it in the dawer just ask to keep the case. I've done it before.. I took a case for bust a move 2 because they couldn't find the game. I did it at game crazy for baldurs gate 2 da 2 since they couldn't find it.

[quote name='joshnorm']...So obviously the Manager took it with the game for either himself, a friend or eBay (since I mentioned it was hard to find)

Example 2: I preorder Turok from the same store. ...[/quote]

You went back? -_-;

[quote name='emceelokey']I think they put the stickers on the spine of the insert to make it easier to "gut check" the games in the dump bins and gondolas. I could understand putting the stickers on the spine but I can't stand it when they put it on the inserts. They've been using stickers with a lower stick to them but it's still not fun to take those off.[/quote]

It's also a preventative measure for those who like to swap stickers. Last year I helped them catch some bastard kid who was doing that, putting a sports game sticker on a newer used title. This was before they put the spine stickers on the insert itself..

But yeah, I've nearly ruined a few inserts trying to remove that damn sticker. One reason why I rarely buy anything from them anymore.

[quote name='sp00ge']It's also a preventative measure for those who like to swap stickers. Last year I helped them catch some bastard kid who was doing that, putting a sports game sticker on a newer used title. This was before they put the spine stickers on the insert itself..

But yeah, I've nearly ruined a few inserts trying to remove that damn sticker. One reason why I rarely buy anything from them anymore.[/quote]
That was always my assumption on why they started doing it but, if anything, that speaks extremely poorly of the staff. In essence, your employees should be trained well enough to catch stuff like that, since the stickers do generally have the name of the game on them, right?

Then I remember that it's GameStop, and training employees the right way is never the priority.

I just hate dealing with it, honestly. Most of the time they come off nicely, but if it's a game that's been sitting there for any length of time (I'm looking at you, 50 copies of Prey) you're basically dicked on getting it off cleanly.

Though, as much as I complain about GS, it was tough for me not to go back and pick up their copy of Ikaruga for GC when they had that 20 or 25% off used GC game coupon a week or two ago. I admit that the only thing that stopped me was the fact that I'm broke.

[quote name='007']That was always my assumption on why they started doing it but, if anything, that speaks extremely poorly of the staff. In essence, your employees should be trained well enough to catch stuff like that, since the stickers do generally have the name of the game on them, right?

Then I remember that it's GameStop, and training employees the right way is never the priority.

I just hate dealing with it, honestly. Most of the time they come off nicely, but if it's a game that's been sitting there for any length of time (I'm looking at you, 50 copies of Prey) you're basically dicked on getting it off cleanly.

Though, as much as I complain about GS, it was tough for me not to go back and pick up their copy of Ikaruga for GC when they had that 20 or 25% off used GC game coupon a week or two ago. I admit that the only thing that stopped me was the fact that I'm broke.[/quote]

Your right if the tards behind the counter do not catch that the title that is ringing up is not the same in hand then it is thier loss even though buying used is all profit for them..

I think the GS/EB near me stopped doing the stickers on the artwork. But they do scan the games first then go searching for the disk. At least they have not asked for payment before searching...yet.

I worked there for 2 1/2 years and I never sold a game that scanned as something else. They train you to scan the actual upc from the boxart no matter what and never the price sticker. With all used games they put an ID tag over the upc when it's traded in and then you just scan that but you never scan the price sticker. So idiot tried to pull that shit on me once and of course it didn't work. Do you really think an Xbox game that just came out at the time (Bruce Lee) is going to sell for $2.99. I scanned the game and it rang up for $50 and he said "It Says $2.99" then I told him it also say Madden 2001 for Playstation and "somebody" could have just changed the price tags. He had two games too. One was a PS2 game and oddly enough it had the wrong sticker too. What are the chances that the two games he picked just happened to have the wrong price tags on them. fuckin idiot. And what pissed me off the most was that this was an adult. He was probably in his 30's adn he probably thought he'd pull one over on this 19 year old. I seriously wanted to punch him in the face for that shit.

I hate how they baby the employees though. The employeesshould know what the games are going for at the time and they should always double check what they're doing. If they screw up then fire them. There's plenty of filled out applications waiting in the drawer. Apparently that was a big enough problem to make a change in procedure.

i must be the only one here not to encounter what you guys have encountered. It does help all the employees at GS are my friends...but even seeing them work..i havent seen them dick out anyone like how you guys expressed. When someone comes in even with the utmost inane question, they answer it....they dont ignore anyone, they arent dicks,they are all but nice to customers. Heck ive seen kids come in with huge trades and they suck it up,accept the trade, and be nice to them. hell my friend gets hit on everyday and she sucks it up and is still nice to the poor saps.

GS as a company sucks...they havent offered anything really good besides their 25 percent off coupons. Trades have sucked tremendously. I never trade there anymore because i would rather keep it. hell, i still have backyard wrestling two which i got from a dollar from best buy years ago. Yeah thats how much i wish there was a GameRush near me.

The thing that amuses me about Gamestop is that they always inspect any game I trade in, but every used game I've bought from them looks like someone took a sander to it, and they frequently freeze up. What's the point of looking if you're going to accept the game as a trade in regardless of the condition?

[quote name='rainking187']The thing that amuses me about Gamestop is that they always inspect any game I trade in, but every used game I've bought from them looks like someone took a sander to it, and they frequently freeze up. What's the point of looking if you're going to accept the game as a trade in regardless of the condition?[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I really feel like being a jerk and asking that precise thing sometimes. I one time got handed a PSP game that literally looked like it was stomped on. The case all cracked, and the disc was scratched beyond belief. I obviously asked for a different disc. So, what is the point of lookig at them, when they accept games that are in that bad of shape?

[quote name='joshnorm'] So obviously the Manager took it with the game for either himself, a friend or eBay (since I mentioned it was hard to find)[/quote]

Two rules:

NEVER mention that something is 'zomg rare' or 'hard to find' while in a store to ANY of the employees. You never know when one will be an Ebay ahole who will hoard that for themselves.

Never mention CAG to anyone who asks where you get info on prices, specifically on guides.

Follow these two rules and you SHOULD be able to find ANY 'zomg rare' game or guide you are seeking, unless you have knowledgable people working at your local .

What I've started doing is, to mess with the people who I KNOW are hoarders of anything 'hard to find' is if I figure out they're not TOO knowledgable, I'll put it in their head that the most common of common games is 'zomg rare', just to fuck with them and keep them away from any of the real hard to find stuff.

[quote name='007']I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in this thread, but I'm going to complain about it anyway.

[/quote]

Sorry for the double post, but you're not alone in this, 007, since they started doing that around here too. It must be a corporate policy anymore. Oh and afaik, the paper 'seals' that if broken means you can't bring back the games ARE BACK around here.

I know they used them for about 6 months to a year, then stopped, but it would seem they're back to using them AGAIN. I guess Gamestop was having too many people rushing through games in 7 days and abusing the '7 days for any reason' return policy.

[quote name='emceelokey']
I hate how they baby the employees though. The employeesshould know what the games are going for at the time and they should always double check what they're doing. If they screw up then fire them. There's plenty of filled out applications waiting in the drawer. Apparently that was a big enough problem to make a change in procedure.[/quote]
unfortunately, corporate america seems to think that its a waste of money to just hire other people. if you run a store, you obviously spend time training your employees. time is money. and when you run a gamestop youre just stuck with that same person for awhile until they finally decided that they should have gotten rid of them awhile ago. and also these employees becomes friends with each other since they have something in common: they're all stupid.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i must be the only one here not to encounter what you guys have encountered. It does help all the employees at GS are my friends...but even seeing them work..i havent seen them dick out anyone like how you guys expressed. When someone comes in even with the utmost inane question, they answer it....they dont ignore anyone, they arent dicks,they are all but nice to customers. Heck ive seen kids come in with huge trades and they suck it up,accept the trade, and be nice to them. hell my friend gets hit on everyday and she sucks it up and is still nice to the poor saps.
[/quote]
not all of the GS stores are bad. but the majority of them are. the company knows its a problem. they have no preventative measures.. its purely a management issue.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Two rules:

NEVER mention that something is 'zomg rare' or 'hard to find' while in a store to ANY of the employees. You never know when one will be an Ebay ahole who will hoard that for themselves.

Never mention CAG to anyone who asks where you get info on prices, specifically on guides.

Follow these two rules and you SHOULD be able to find ANY 'zomg rare' game or guide you are seeking, unless you have knowledgable people working at your local .

What I've started doing is, to mess with the people who I KNOW are hoarders of anything 'hard to find' is if I figure out they're not TOO knowledgable, I'll put it in their head that the most common of common games is 'zomg rare', just to fuck with them and keep them away from any of the real hard to find stuff.[/quote]

Great words of wisdom here folks. I don't know how many times I've had to explain to my clueless girlfirend to be cautious about blurting out deals in the store! Never know when another CAG'er is lurking in the shadows ready to swoop a deal right from under you\\:D/

But seriously, GS/EB are by far the WORST experience in video game shopping! Friends keep asking why I go...well the deals are fabolous, especially when they have those price drops on lots of great games. I just hate, despise, loathe thier stupid policy of opening the damn games and calling them NEW! I'm a collector and there is no way I'm paying "new" prices for something they could have scracthed, touched, damaged while sliding into those cheap flimsy white sleeves they pile on top of each other in the drawers. I can't count the number of times I've walked to counter with a stack of games only to maybe get to buy 1 or 2, due to them having no sealed copies! Why advertise as new?!?!:bomb: When you purchase a game from Wal-mart, CC, Best Buy, Toys R Us there is a SEAL on it! The security strip is till secure and most importantly, that's how it came from the manufactor, not seal-less, not opened, not touched!

Believe me I know there are tons of people out there who could give a care less about a game not being NEW & SEALED and I envy those people, for they save oodles of money at these stores, LOL! But these stores are still losing a ton of money, in not catering to the discerning gamer/collector such as myself who wants that Atlus rpg sealed and untouched by others' hands. Making matters worse, anytime you do request a new game sealed, they look at you like you have two heads and in their usual swarmy-toned response, "Why do you want it sealed? This was the display copy and was taken out of case and put in this sleeve and is still new" ASLAKFKLS:SKALD!)@(#(@!!! I get so heated I want to jump cross the counter and smack that stupid smirk right off thier face trying to sell me that crap!:boxing:

I think a good future strategy might be simply going straight to the counter and asking can I look in the drawer and see just exactly what do they have sealed...save us both some time and frustration:roll:

When people ask me where I get the info I just tell them I get it "from the internet" and not give a specific site.

Also when you want to find a rare game via the store locator, don't call ahead to see if they have it, thats only tipping the employees off to the fact that it is rare and hard to find and ebay-able. Then they will put it into the mysterious employee hold drawer and you will never see it again. You will have better luck if you go into the store and actually look for the game yourself. If your really after the game you might want to confront them with a printout of the store locator showing the game in stock.

[quote name='vicious7171']You went back? -_-;[/quote]

Unfortunatly yes. I had the game reserved and paid off before that first incident.

whenever we talk about an issue with one of gamestop's practices they seem to be mentioning them on the blogs. im sure its not intentional. but check the latest post on kotaku. they said something about AIAS had partnered up with GameStop to honor the developers by adding another sticker on the fucking case. yeah....

[quote name='Tsukento']Looks like GameStop bumped up the price on Smash Bros. Melee AGAIN. It's now $39.99.[/quote]

:wall:

When will it ever end?

got my revenge on a hoarding Gamestop

for 2 weeks, gamestop.com showed SMT: devil summoner, DDS, and Nocturne as in stock at a local GS. I checked any time that I was by the place to see if they had it, but the 2 or 3 guys that worked there would never even look up to see if the game was there, they would just say "no we don't keep that in stock...or...we just sent that out to the warehouse". One day I caught a new girl working, asked her about the games, she finds the discs only, no cases, and sells them all to me. After I get to the car I see that the discs have been there since July, and had big handwritten "Hold for Slingblade" on them. So, whoever slingblade is, probably wasn't happy to find his games weren't held anymore.

[quote name='Derrick1979']These threads are getting tiresome if you hate Eb/Gamestop so bad then stop fucking shopping there !!![/quote]
These threads point out everything that is wrong with the company, as well as presenting information some people might not know about.

[quote name='Bavgate']:wall:

When will it ever end?[/quote]

I get that it's ridiculous because it's more than the NEW price, but really, did anyone not see this coming? Why wouldn't they raise the price right when people may be interested in it again?

That, and seriously, if you've waited this long to buy Melee, you're likely not going to know better anyway.

[quote name='007']I get that it's ridiculous because it's more than the NEW price, but really, did anyone not see this coming? Why wouldn't they raise the price right when people may be interested in it again?

That, and seriously, if you've waited this long to buy Melee, you're likely not going to know better anyway.[/quote]
It's mainly the whole idea of raising it to such a price. For a company that's slogan is supposedly "Power to the Players," they're really not showing it.

I remember when Spiderman 3 was just hitting theaters and all ot the Spider-Man games went up in price that same week. I remember a used Ultimate Spider-Man went from $14.99 to $19.99 eventhough a new version was $19.99 but they didn't carry new ones anymore.

Hey if anyone wants a new SSBM, there's tons of new sealed ones near me for $30. There's also a bunch of new sealed Animal Crossing (with the small memory card) for $20.

You can find SSBM at target for 29.99 new and sealed, and amazon probably has copies in stock at that price too, and they will be brand new. I have also seen SSBM and Mario Kart at Sears for 29.99 each and they had quite a few copies. If your looking for those games, might want to check amazon and sears before overpaying at gamestop.

[quote name='Bavgate']:wall:

When will it ever end?[/QUOTE]

And a friend of mine traded in his copy. I told him if he does it he's a moron and he went and did it anyways and got a whole $15 for it.

[quote name='whoknows']And a friend of mine traded in his copy. I told him if he does it he's a moron and he went and did it anyways and got a whole $15 for it.[/quote]

:whistle2:|

That sucks man. Well, that's GS for ya.

Anyway, I went to Gamestop today to try and pick up a copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, since the online availability said there was one in stock. Ask the guy if it's in, he says yeah, but he says they're holding it for one of the employees.

Okay, what the fuck? If you were holding the game for a co-worker, why bother registering that you have a copy in-store in the first place? You could've saved me time and gas by simply putting "Zero copies in-stock." Keep in mind I've been eyeing Nocturne's availability daily, and one just popped up last night.

Jesus, now I know why you guys hate Gamestop. I actually had little to no problems with them, up to this point.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm pretty pissed.

[quote name='Bavgate']Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm pretty pissed.[/quote]

You're not overreacting. Id rather be lied to and told they have none then be told that they have one but it's set aside for someone better than me..

Okay, what the fuck? If you were holding the game for a co-worker, why bother registering that you have a copy in-store in the first place? You could've saved me time and gas by simply putting "Zero copies in-stock." Keep in mind I've been eyeing Nocturne's availability daily, and one just popped up last night.

Well, keep in mind that the online search does warn you to call ahead. Plus, all that is does is take the data on what's in stock and reprints it online. So, technically, they do have it in stock, because it wasn't checked out. Obviously, I don't blame you for being pissed, especially seeing as they holding it for an employee, but you really should always call ahead. Some people say you shouldn't, but if a store has something rare in stock, and there is someone there that knows it is rare and worth something, it won't last long, anyway. Just call and don't make any hint at all that the game is worth a lot or rare.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, keep in mind that the online search does warn you to call ahead. Plus, all that is does is take the data on what's in stock and reprints it online. So, technically, they do have it in stock, because it wasn't checked out. Obviously, I don't blame you for being pissed, especially seeing as they holding it for an employee, but you really should always call ahead. Some people say you shouldn't, but if a store has something rare in stock, and there is someone there that knows it is rare and worth something, it won't last long, anyway. Just call and don't make any hint at all that the game is worth a lot or rare.[/quote]

Yeah, you're right. I should've called ahead to ask. That's my mistake.

Hopefully, I can nab that game from an employee that doesn't know the game is on hold before the one that wants it gets to work.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']I *heart* gamestop... you diRty h8ters!!!!![/QUOTE]

Says the idiot that thinks gamestop doesn't make much profit.

bread's done
Back