$299 PS3 at Game Crazy??? (YMMV)

importfighter817

CAG Veteran
This was found on the Official PS3 forums (thanks to BufordKat). And I quote:

"OK, here's the deal. If you trade in two of your old PS2's they will give you $200 towards the purchase of the PS3 ($110 for the slim and $90 for the fat one). The deal goes from today till I think they said August 27th. So anyone holding off because they are to expensive and just happen to have two old systems, well, you just can't beat that deal. Anyways, just thought you might like to know. Happy gaming everyone!"

Although I don't need this deal anymore, I was hoping some of you on the fence would finally jump off.

i'm not sure if that's a deal or offer going on right now, but my GC has nothing going on.

besides, from what i understand, it looks like a trade-in offer but nothing surprising.

not even hell of a good deal for me.

[quote name='Bazz']Exactly can they be broken. then deal seems okay.[/quote]

Around my parts (northwest Illinois suburbs), the value of this trade-in is really good, since you can buy fat a PS2 for less than $85, and I'm guessing not too much more for slim a PS2.

There's no way this can be true...

If it is, YMMV to the max.

$110 trade in for the PS2 Slim? and 90 DOLLARS for the PS2 fat? YEAAAAAH RIGHT!

[quote name='p0tempkin']I don't understand the deal. Why would they expect their customers to have two PS2s lying around?[/quote]

Ideally, if you did, you could possibly get a PS3 for that price.
Unfortunately, I just got off the phone with the GameCrazy by my house (Glendale Heights, Illinois).
The trade-in values I was quoted are:

Fat PS2 - $50
Slim PS2 - $60

These are the values, regardless of what you use them toward.
Sorry for the incorrect information, but maybe it could be different in other regions.

Ok here's how the deal works:

You bring your PS2 (in working order) to your Local Game Crazy. Right now through 8/27 you get normal trade($60-slim $40-Fat) PLUS $50 as long as you use it towards the purchase of a PS3 or XBOX 360. It's a trade in bump to get you to come to Game Crazy. I believe you are only allowed to trade in one system with the bump. Not 100% positive on that but that is how the deal works.

Did I make sense there?

The deal is $50 off the price of a PS3, when you trade in a PS2 at normal trade in price. NOT a $50 bump up. For example: if you trade in a slim PS2 (-$60) toward a PS3 ($500- $50= $450) you would get it for ($450-$60) $390, then if you trade in a fat PS2 (-$40) the total would be ($390 - $40) $350..not $299. You only get one $50 off coupon per PS3 & like I said it is not a $50 bump up on the trade.
I hope this clears up some questions. If this is actually working for some stores then they are price overiding the PS3s, because it is only one coupon per offer. The computers wont let you double-dip.

i would do this considering once you have a ps3 you dont need a ps2. if they have 20gbs then it would make this deal even better. do if i get 90 for my fatie tih coupon i have to use it towards ps3 or 360. id do 360 in that case

[quote name='p0tempkin']I don't understand the deal. Why would they expect their customers to have two PS2s lying around?[/QUOTE]

That is the question. If they won't accept broken consoles then the question is Why would they expect their customers to have two working PS2s lying around? A broken and working console are the most likely combination. I'm not in the market for a PS3 but I felt compelled to comment on the pure moronicness of this idea even though it appears to be dead.

Actually, it is true.

We're running a new promotion where you get an extra $50 if you trade in your XBox or PS2 towards the purchase of an XBox 360. Of course, no employee in the world will tie you down to getting a 360.

I caught wind of the sale when we got the flyers two weeks ago, but I didn't post it because I couldn't confirm the trade-in. I didn't know if we'd be giving $50 for the PS2 or $50 on top of the $40 we were already giving.

So yeah, it's true. But you need to buy an XBox 360. Or apparently, a PS3. The XBox should be getting $90 towards the purchase of a 360 or a PS3. The slim PS2 should be getting $110. The phat boy PS2 should be getting $90.

*reads replies* Oh, the above was already confirmed. I'm just confirming the confirmation.

//edit: The price is still $40 for an XBox, $40 for a PS2 and $60 for a slim. If you mention the promotion and that you're going to be getting a new system, there's a barcode for the employee to scan to give you the $50 bump.

But hey guys, be wary of getting an XBox 360 and ask to check the "birth" date on it. A local GC just received a shipment of about 20 360's, but they all had a November '05 launch date on them. That's right, we got a huge shipment of launch consoles last week.

Did you people seriously ask if they take broken systems? Wow.

which birth date should i be looking for? the most recent? crap, if i trade in my ps2 i cant play my ps2 games, ill just uninstall my softmod and trade in my xbox or my virgin xbox

ooh, this is tempting, especially since I only need 100 more bucks to get a PS3, but I've got to keep my PS2 around so I can play Time Crisis and Guitar Hero.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']which birth date should i be looking for? the most recent? crap, if i trade in my ps2 i cant play my ps2 games, ill just uninstall my softmod and trade in my xbox or my virgin xbox[/QUOTE]
Look on the box. On the system features list, it should say "HDMI Out." If it does, it's new, with a big ol' heatsink and scratch-resistant DVD drive.

For the record, I've been known to have 2 or 3 PS2s laying around, depending on what kind of Craigslist deals have been popping up. I really doubt you could double up the coupons, so it's kinda moot, but I'm sure there are some other folks out there with multiple PS2s.

i work at gamecrazy and i knew about this deal. the only problem is you can only apply it to 'one system' thus the part where it says trade in your ps2 or xbox original. it is not an 'and' statement.

only one system per trade.

asked both my store manager and district manager.

so you either get 90 for your xbox, 90 for phat ps2, or 110 for your slim.

you can't combine offers and scam the system. unless the employee is unaware of the way it works.

they do have to be in working condition, unlike gamestop who takes broken systems, we give you more trade in normally. gamestop trade in for a ps2 is 35 dollars, and it doesn't have to work, gamecrazy gives 60 and it has to work.

I am one who has 2 ps2s, a slim and a phat. So this would be a cool deal for me, but since you can't combine it's no use.

So does the credit ONLY apply to the purchase of a XBOX360 or PS3? Or is it credit that can otherwise be used to purchase games?

the credit must be used simultaneously with the purchase of a 360 or PS3. if you trade in like enough games over the value of a ps3 or 360 you can get extra games.

but basically buying the system will eat whatever credit you get from the traded system and games you bring in.

Can the system be returned unopened for store credit?

If so, how much?

EDIT: The general idea is to buy mutliple systems with multiple trade ins and lower your overal cost after flipping the system to another buyer or just to build up store credit on the cheap.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Can the system be returned unopened for store credit?

If so, how much?

EDIT: The general idea is to buy mutliple systems with multiple trade ins and lower your overal cost after flipping the system to another buyer or just to build up store credit on the cheap.[/QUOTE]

the safe bet is to go to 2 different GC stores. Then again there arent that many in los angeles, a big city. I have a busted slim, is there any way to get it fixed(cheaply if possible).

Seeing as how you cannot sell 2 ps2 systems as confirmed by a GC employee earlier shouldn't the title of this thread be changed so that it reflects this. It should read $399.99 PS3 instead.

[quote name='trip1eX']Breaking News: Get a 360 for $50!!!!!

...Just trade in 6 GameCubes.[/QUOTE]

rriiiggghhhhtttt... like where am i suppose to get 6 consoles?

[quote name='mrhappi79']Seeing as how you cannot sell 2 ps2 systems as confirmed by a GC employee earlier shouldn't the title of this thread be changed so that it reflects this. It should read $399.99 PS3 instead.[/QUOTE]
The title should just say what the actual deal is instead of sounding like an ad.

Can anyone who works at GameCrazy confirm this deal works on the used Core, and if they've matched GS's price for it?

[quote name='Darkarts']Ok do you get 100 off and thats it?[/quote]

It's $110 off if you trade in a ps2 slim
$60 system + $50 bonus discount = $110 discount towards PS3 or Xbox 360

or

$90 off for the PS2 Fat
$40 system + $50 bonus discount = $90 discount towards PS3 or Xbox 360

You cannot trade in more than one system to receive a total discount of $200 like the title suggests.

-it does not matter which system you get.

core 360, premium 360, elite 360 or 60 gb ps3, 80 gb ps3 (it does not specify which type)

-gc is not an acceptable trade bump, only regular xbox or ps2 (slim or big)

-technically yes, the system 'unopened' within 7 days (as the back of the reciept says) can be returned as store credit, for whatever the amount you paid for was. but you would have to spend an extra couple hundred dollars to add after you trade a system, and there you would be basically putting your money in as credit which is kinda pointless, unless you are trying to beat the tax exempt status when an item is bought on full store credit.

-don't know where you can get a ps2 fixed cheaply, gamestop does accept them broken. for they fix it.

Keep your PS2 around if you want to avoid the three frames of lag (even at standard def with filtering turns off) that the PS3 adds to all PS2 games. I've got a PS2 and a PS3 and am really consitent at the Guitar Hero 2/80s lag test, and the PS3 definitely adds three frames of lag.

Someone earlier asked why one would have both models of the PS2.

Simple answer: Fat has DREs up the wazoo, slim replaces fat.

[quote name='frenchninja112']i have both a xbox and a ps2 can i trade in both towards a 360 and get the discount?[/quote]

Read the last 50 ****ing posts...

They are also giving out 12 coupons with any new console purchase.
These coupons can be used for games/movies rental over next 12 months.
Sweet deal when combined with free blu ray movies & 100-110 bucks for ps2 trade in

[quote name='ctice44']You only get one $50 off coupon per PS3[/quote]
Wrong. You may trade in TWO systems (the official coupon says limit two hardware per customer).

I am one who has 2 ps2s, a slim and a phat. So this would be a cool deal for me, but since you can't combine it's no use.
The limit is two systems per transaction. That is what the official printout from the corporate office says. I traded in two XBox's for a customer yesterday and he got a 360.

i have both a xbox and a ps2 can i trade in both towards a 360 and get the discount?
Yes, though the employee may limit you to one (even though the coupon says two. Remember, we're talking about GC employees here).

hey are also giving out 12 coupons with any new console purchase.
These coupons can be used for games/movies rental over next 12 months.
GC always gives out 12 free rentals with any console purchase.

Do you get more for the fat ps2 if you have the harddrive and network adapter or are they worthless now?

How I know I really don't want a PS3 yet: I have two PS2s to trade in, and it still seems like too much money.

Great deal on a Pro 360...but then I wouldn't have a PS2. Dammit.

bread's done
Back