$299 PS3 at Game Crazy??? (YMMV)

importfighter817

CAG Veteran
This was found on the Official PS3 forums (thanks to BufordKat). And I quote:

"OK, here's the deal. If you trade in two of your old PS2's they will give you $200 towards the purchase of the PS3 ($110 for the slim and $90 for the fat one). The deal goes from today till I think they said August 27th. So anyone holding off because they are to expensive and just happen to have two old systems, well, you just can't beat that deal. Anyways, just thought you might like to know. Happy gaming everyone!"

Although I don't need this deal anymore, I was hoping some of you on the fence would finally jump off.

does anyone know if they take a system without the serial code?
I have an old xbox taking up space, but from constant usage (thank halo series for that) the sticker print with the serial code has been smudge off (heat probably?)- making it impossible to read anymore....

the console is still fully functional - but the code is gone.

Any thoughts?!
thanks.

[quote name='Swift900']Do the 60 gigs still come with the Emotion Engine or has Sony already taken them out?[/quote]

They still should, I think, but check the back of the box. This might be the time for me to buy a current gen console since I'm expecting a paycheck coming in soon.

You know how much a used ps2 is Scorch? I have 2 ps2s but technically one isn't mine for very long.

[quote name='Swift900']Do the 60 gigs still come with the Emotion Engine or has Sony already taken them out?[/quote]
I believe 60 Gigs always will have EE, they stopped manufacturing 60 gigs, the new 80 gig will not have EE. The reason 60 gigs are still around is because they still have millions to sell in backstock

[quote name='guynextshore']does anyone know if they take a system without the serial code?[/quote]

no

You know how much a used ps2 is Scorch? I have 2 ps2s but technically one isn't mine for very long.

Trade? 40 for phat boy 60 for slim. Give or take a buck or two.

Sell? 80 for phat boy, 100 for slim

The reason 60 gigs are still around is because they still have millions to sell in backstock

hell, most GC stores still have the 20gbs.

Of course they can't be broken, then we couldn't re-sell them.

For clarification, the deal is you get $50 off either a new PS3 or an Xbox 360 when you trade in a used Playstation 2 or Xbox. Obviously, trade in more, get more credit.

[quote name='KingCrow02']Yes good through August 27. Also I would take advantage of the 20% trade bump for signing up for MVP membership. So gather all the stuff you want traded in, join the membership and watch the price of the system of your choice fall in price.[/QUOTE]
The 20% trade bump has the same restrictions as the everyday 10% trade bump for MVP members.

20% more trade-in value on used games.
20% off used games.

Trade bump does not apply to hardware trade-in or purchase.

I traded in my fat PS2 along with 2 controllers, 5 games, network adapter, 2 s-video cables and signed up for MVP. Total credit was $113. Got a 3 gamecube games and PS3 for $451.72 total. Not too bad.

Last nighttraded in a fat ps2 and network adapter for $96.00 in credit. Bought a 60 gig PS3, F1 Championship Edition, Resistance, Madden 08, and an MVP card for $539.06 total.

Thanks for the info guys.

How much do you think I would get if I traded in my gamecube, 360 Premium, and original xbox? I want to get an elite.

[quote name='tml09']How much do you think I would get if I traded in my gamecube, 360 Premium, and original xbox? I want to get an elite.[/quote]

YMMV, but the trade in prices at my store are (and since they're regulated by corporate they should be the same):

360 Premium: $190
Xbox: $90 (With the $50 trade incentive)
Gamecube: $20

All store credit, of course, but you'd be looking at a total of $300 in store credit. That'd leave 149.99 for you to pay plus tax.

Not that bad of a deal if you're wanting to upgrade and don't mind getting rid of your old xbox and gamecube.

Urashima

[quote name='SqueezyCrusty']is there an official coupon for this? my game crazy sales rep won't acknowledge this deal on the phone.[/quote]
Yeah an offical coupon would give me a little extra comfort when i walk in tomorrow morning.

Also what is te bare minimum (contollers and such) needed to trade in a console? And what time does GC open?

Looks like a good deal, don't know if i'm willing to sacrifice a ps2 at this time, especially for an xbox360 without hdmi/65nm chips. Also i have terrible luck when it comes to gamecrazy.

I have a slim PS2 that I got a while back from EB when they had the trade in your fat ps2 w/5 games (luckily my eb took my Maddens and NCAA footballs 2001-2004?5s)....

Does anyone know if Game Crazys will take in a used DS lite? If so, how much credit could I get for that..

Thanks in advance..

JP

Wanna know something funny?

Today, they raised the price of the XBox trade-in. It's now trading in at $50, or $100 after this bonus. Insane.

And this deal is only for trading in XBox and PS2 systems. Not Gamecubes, not 360s, not PSPs, not DSs. XBoxes and PS2s.

And yes, there is an official coupon. There was a mailer mailed out, and the employees at the store should have one. If they don't, they need to get on the FCC site from their workstation and download the latest memos. That is how I printed out the coupon for my store.

[quote name='Scorch']Wanna know something funny?

Today, they raised the price of the XBox trade-in. It's now trading in at $50, or $100 after this bonus. Insane.

And this deal is only for trading in XBox and PS2 systems. Not Gamecubes, not 360s, not PSPs, not DSs. XBoxes and PS2s.

And yes, there is an official coupon. There was a mailer mailed out, and the employees at the store should have one. If they don't, they need to get on the FCC site from their workstation and download the latest memos. That is how I printed out the coupon for my store.[/quote]
So officially the coupon says that you can use the bump for a maximum of 2 systems?

[quote name='frenchninja112']So officially the coupon says that you can use the bump for a maximum of 2 systems?[/quote]

yes, two per one transaction as long as a PS3 and 360 system is on the same exact transaction. And again, PS2 and XBox systems are the only systems that qualify for the bonus.

[quote name='Scorch']yes, two per one transaction as long as a PS3 and 360 system is on the same exact transaction. And again, PS2 and XBox systems are the only systems that qualify for the bonus.[/quote]
Sorry to nit-pick but you dont you mean PS3 or 360? I mean I hope you meant to say or.

[quote name='Scorch']But hey guys, be wary of getting an XBox 360 and ask to check the "birth" date on it. A local GC just received a shipment of about 20 360's, but they all had a November '05 launch date on them. That's right, we got a huge shipment of launch consoles last week.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... does that mean that Microsoft actually was holding back on supplies at launch in order to stimulate demand? :lol:

[quote name='importfighter817']My educated guess is that the PS2(s) would have to be working.[/quote]

They won't be selling many PS3s then. ;)

[quote name='frenchninja112']Sorry to nit-pick but you dont you mean PS3 or 360? I mean I hope you meant to say or.[/quote]
Yes, he meant either a 360 or a PS3. You don't have to buy both.

Does anyone know if Game Crazys will take in a used DS lite? If so, how much credit could I get for that..

Thanks in advance..

JP
DS Lites trade in at 70 right now.

As it stands right now, with this deal, systems trade in for the following amounts when you pick up a 360 or PS3 on the same transaction:

Xbox Premium: 190
PS2: 90 (With $50 trade incentive)
Slim PS2: 110 (With $50 trade incentive)
Xbox: 100 (with $50 trade incentive)
Gamecube: 20
DS Lite: 70
DS: 45
PSP: 70

Those are the only amounts that I can remember atm. Hope that helps some folks. Also remember that YMMV on trade prices if your store gets a lot of systems in. Then again, my store has 20 freaking Xboxes (even after shipping off 6 systems to another store) and they still trade in at the normal $50 ($100 after this trade bump).

Urashima

[quote name='looploop']so how much would a 20GB PS3 come to with credit from an xbox and a ps2 slim?[/quote]

Xbox trades in at 100, PS2 Slim trades in at 110.

So that's 210.

PS3 20 gig systems are still 499, same as the 60 gig model, so you're better off getting one of those if you can.

499 - 210 = 289.99.

Not too shabby.

Urashima

thanks for the calculation.
I'm rather tempted to bite, since my xbox and PS2 do just take up space now... but there's really almost nothing on PS3 that isn't also on 360 that makes it a must have yet.(including MGS4)
well, at least I've till the end of the month to make up my mind.

[quote name='p0tempkin']I was told it's $90 for an Xbox.[/quote]

You were told wrong. The trade-in price on it went up yesterday. Most employees didn't bother to check. I kept saying $90 until I manually checked it.

Anyway.. good news and bad news.

The good: As previously mentioned, XBox is getting $50.. fat boy PS2's are now getting $50 as well, instead of $40.

The bad: Slim PS2s went down to $50 also, so no matter what console you trade in, be it the slim PS2, fat boy or XBox, you will get $100 off a 360 or PS3.

Are you certain that it isn't just $50 off with a trade-in on a PS2? I only received $50 off and I traded it in on the 16th. Was I supposed to get $90 off or does the trade-in value vary from store to store?

looks like none of the gamecrazys around me can verify if they have the new hdmi out xbox 360 premiums. most know nothing about it and keep saying they have the elites, which have hdmi output. should i bite the bullet and take advantage of this deal by tradin' in my xbox anyway? i really do want the extra heatsink and supposedly quieter drive most of all.

I drove two hours to get to the nearest GameCrazy for this deal, and they told me you can't stack two console bonuses on the trade in. So to trade in two consoles, you only get $50 bonus, rather than stacking it to $100 bonus.

After my friends gave in at the first stop, I continued to three other stores ... all of them had the same instructions, directly from their bosses -- no stacking the bonus. We had them call their bosses, bring them out, etc., all the same response.

Luckily, I was friendly with the clerk at the last stop and chatted with him while he set everything up and he gave me a $50 bonus for my PS2 slim, and a $35 bonus for my Xbox ... that, with my Xbox controllers, and DVD remote, got me an Xbox 360 Elite for the price of a Core system. Not bad at all.

Hmm, it works on xbox 360s too right?

I'm really not sure how many times I have to reiterate that it's PS2 AND XBOX SYSTEMS ONLY and you MUST PURCHASE A PS3 OR A XBOX 360 ON THE SAME TICKET TO RECEIVE A BONUS.

Are you certain that it isn't just $50 off with a trade-in on a PS2? I only received $50 off and I traded it in on the 16th. Was I supposed to get $90 off or does the trade-in value vary from store to store?

Okay. Again.

You get $50 in trade in credit for a PS2. You get $50 off the price of a 360 or PS3. Or, if you want to look at it that way, you get $100 trade-in. Again, you get the original $50 credit for the PS2, plus a bonus $50 off a 360 or PS3.

Hardware values don't usually drop. I know the PS2 and XBox's are locked at $50 each, mainly because the promo is advertising $100 off a PS3 of XBox 360 with trade-in of XBox or PS2. Also, my store has over 25 used XBoxes and they're still trading in at $50.. so..

And this promotion ends soon. I don't know of an exact date, I want to say this coming Monday, but i'm not 100% sure. I'll check tomorrow.

I traded in my ps2 and bought a PS3 on the same transaction and only received $50 off TOTAL. Does anyone actually have a receipt showing $100 off. I got $113 altogether with an additional tradein value of $63 for 5 games and accesscories. A copy of my receipt showing the $50 off is below.

4z36yad.jpg

i traded a xbox and a ps2 fatty both were stacked. The clerk look at the promotion and said it doesn't say you can't stack. so i got it for 299.99 plus tax. this was in vegas at fort apache. good luck. now what games to get?

To add to the fun, I called my store here near Raleigh, NC and the clerk told me that I could trade in an Xbox towards a 360 and get a bump or a PS2 towards a PS3 and get a bump. However, I couldn't get two bumps towards one console, nor apparently could I get a bump on, say, a PS3 by trading in an Xbox. I found this somewhat interesting. I'll call back tomorrow and talk to someone else to see what he says.

I actually have two working PS2s around, since I thought one broke, but it started working after a major cleaning but not before I purchased another one. Thus, two PS2s in working order.

This is tempting for sure.

[quote name='intelligentidiot']
4z36yad.jpg
[/quote]

Having done deals at Game Crazy in the past, it should say something about trade bonus. Take it back and complain that you didn't get the extra $50 towards the PS3. Look to see if they have the flyers near the register, it mentions on the back about the extra $50.

BTW, what kind of ass backwards GC are you going to? Never seen one using Hollywood Video receipts.

I just called the GameCrazy stores here in Pearland, TX and another in Houston, TX and both quoted me only $30 for a XBox console trade-in plus $50 bonus towards a PS3 or 360. So I can only get $80 off if I went to these particular stores!!!

Should I call another one or ask that store to double check the trade-in values with corporate?

bread's done
Back