3-D Gaming Coming to PS3

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
From PS3fanboy:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/18/report-ps3-to-support-3d-stereoscopic-gaming-in-2009/

"The world's first and only stereoscopic 3D Certification and Advocacy group," Sony "fully intends" on supporting 3D stereoscope technology next year. What does mean? It means the PS3 will be able to render an image which will appear to be 3D using special glasses. This kind of technology is most commonly found in movie theaters that present 3D movies.

3D stereoscopic technology will be implemented in both movies and games, according to MtbS. A simple firmware update is all that's needed to make this incredible tech possible on the PS3. In fact, the firmware update "may be unique to Sony PS3 versus the other console solutions." Intriguing.

[quote name='Maklershed']Mirrors Edge in 3-d would be amazing.[/QUOTE]

Falling off a building on a big screen TV in 3D? No thanks.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Falling off a building on a big screen TV in 3D? No thanks.[/quote]

Bring me my brown pants! Different joke...but meh...it works :)

[quote name='Maklershed']From PS3fanboy:

3D stereoscopic technology will be implemented in both movies and games, according to MtbS. A simple firmware update is all that's needed to make this incredible tech possible on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I have a 12 inch penis that can open jars.

This honestly could stir things up... now get that Miley Cyrus movie ported to 3d Blu and watch the systems fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ninja dog']I'm expecting a port of that 3D Michael Jackson ride from Disney world.[/quote]

This thing scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Or was it the thriller video with the 3d glasses? Either way, I was scared as a kid by it.

[quote name='ninja dog']I'm expecting a port of that 3D Michael Jackson ride from Disney world.[/quote]

I loved that thing when I was a kid :applause:

In other news yesterday, Sony announced that the PS3 will get a firmware upgrade that allows it to make an award winning quiche. This new functionality confirms the purposefully designed George Foreman Grill shape, making it unique in the industry. The French Gay Food Society fully supports Sony foray into the culinary arts genre and intends to push for omlette and crepe making functionality in the near future.

OK, I'll feed the troll..
^What makes you think a system with 8 processors wouldn't be able to produce a stereoscopic image?

[quote name='HowStern']OK, I'll feed the troll..
^What makes you think a system with 8 processors wouldn't be able to produce a stereoscopic image?[/QUOTE]

Apparently he thinks the PS3 is a food preparation device. The question you asked is Well above his pay grade.

It'll be like the Lawnmower Man, except without the glasses!!!

I saw a video yesterday on how they (on a large scale) record TV to produce the 3D image. It was pretty cool, but something that will take years to get to a usable state.

I hope they follow through with this. The 3d effects for Journey to the Center of the Earth when shown in theaters with RealD were great. Successfully doing that stuff in video games would be amazing.

[quote name='bmulligan']In other news yesterday, Sony announced that the PS3 will get a firmware upgrade that allows it to make an award winning quiche. This new functionality confirms the purposefully designed George Foreman Grill shape, making it unique in the industry. The French Gay Food Society fully supports Sony foray into the culinary arts genre and intends to push for omlette and crepe making functionality in the near future.[/quote]

Future advertising campaigns will likely contain phrases like "Sony does what Microsoft and Nintendon't" as well as "The Sony Playstation 3 has Blast Processing[FONT=&quot]™[/FONT]"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlulSyBI2aY

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HowStern']OK, I'll feed the troll..
^What makes you think a system with 8 processors wouldn't be able to produce a stereoscopic image?[/QUOTE]

Quite possibly the regular old, run of the mill HDTV that's displaying the signal. The post was unabashedly a joke, or didn't anyone get that from the stick figure flick ?

The type of TV a person has doesn't affect the PS3 being able to perform the function. It will only be the deciding factor on whether or not they will be able to view it.

ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4ohpleaseletthisworkwithmgs4

Bonus points if they get it to work with PS1 and PS2 games for consoles with BC.

[quote name='Paco']This thing scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Or was it the thriller video with the 3d glasses? Either way, I was scared as a kid by it.[/quote]

The Tron tram scared the shit out of me more... although, now that I think about it... that was MJ. :shudder:

[quote name='HowStern']The type of TV a person has doesn't affect the PS3 being able to perform the function. It will only be the deciding factor on whether or not they will be able to view it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not arguing the PS3's capability to generate the images, just the extreme impracticality of it. By the time polarized television displays come down from their $10k+ pricetag and reach any sort of standardization, I seriously doubt anyone will be playing a PS3 anymore. Sony might as well announce it'll have the capability to simonize your car, cause all that capability won't do diddly for 99.99999% of PS3 owners. It's just another rumor mill, bullshit hype wagon we see in every console war.

What's next - PS3's can be used to counteract incoming missiles? That's nice too, but I'm still waiting for more than 3 good games to play on the damn thing. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with "capability". I seem to recall how the invention of the cell processor was going to change human evolution, or some overhyped shit like that. Now it can only make some games look 3d in stereoscopy? I think they've lowered their projections considerably.

Maybe by the PS5 we'll see a TV that, to the human eye, will look 3-D in any way direction it's looked at, without eye-wear - otherwise, I don't think 3-D gaming will take off.

[quote name='bmulligan']I'm not arguing the PS3's capability to generate the images, just the extreme impracticality of it. By the time polarized television displays come down from their $10k+ pricetag and reach any sort of standardization, I seriously doubt anyone will be playing a PS3 anymore. Sony might as well announce it'll have the capability to simonize your car, cause all that capability won't do diddly for 99.99999% of PS3 owners. It's just another rumor mill, bullshit hype wagon we see in every console war.

What's next - PS3's can be used to counteract incoming missiles? That's nice too, but I'm still waiting for more than 3 good games to play on the damn thing. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with "capability". I seem to recall how the invention of the cell processor was going to change human evolution, or some overhyped shit like that. Now it can only make some games look 3d in stereoscopy? I think they've lowered their projections considerably.[/quote]

You can say the same thing about the wii when it comes to games. I don't care for Mario Kart or Smash Bros. Not a fan of 3d metroid either. So that leaves only Mario Galaxy and Zelda. We may have been given Haze, but YOU were given Ninjabread Ninjas and Carnival Games. We may have our share of shit, but the amount of shit you have can bury China.

And I'm waiting for my PS3 to do 4d and 10.5 surround sound.

[quote name='bmulligan']I'm not arguing the PS3's capability to generate the images, just the extreme impracticality of it. By the time polarized television displays come down from their $10k+ pricetag and reach any sort of standardization, I seriously doubt anyone will be playing a PS3 anymore. Sony might as well announce it'll have the capability to simonize your car, cause all that capability won't do diddly for 99.99999% of PS3 owners. It's just another rumor mill, bullshit hype wagon we see in every console war.

What's next - PS3's can be used to counteract incoming missiles? That's nice too, but I'm still waiting for more than 3 good games to play on the damn thing. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with "capability". I seem to recall how the invention of the cell processor was going to change human evolution, or some overhyped shit like that. Now it can only make some games look 3d in stereoscopy? I think they've lowered their projections
considerably.[/quote]
Iz funny cuz you have a wii :D

yeah, that's all fine and good, but DLP's aren't on the swelling edge of consumer TV purchases. In fact, they're on the bottom with the undertow. That means not many people have them.

That also means Sony isn't really going to develop anything, they're just blowing some smoke to make everybody think there's a fire. This is something that will never come to fruition, so there's really no sense in even discussing it in rational, practical terms until 10 years from now. It's nice to dream, though. and if something really did look commercially viable, it could light a fire under the DLP market. Who knows? All I know is that it still won't be available to 99.9% of the customer install base, so Sony isn't going to really back it financially since there's no opportunity for $$ to be made - yet.

And I'm not bashing the PS3, I'm just being a realist. Yes, I have a Wii. I love my Wii. I play with my Wii, just like the rest of you wankers out there snickering. But Santa's probably gettin me a PS3 this christmas so I can join your member's only circle jerk.(not directed at you HowStern)

Oh, Emotion engine, where are you now...?

bread's done
Back