3-D Gaming thread

I took the bait and bought a Samsung UN55d8000 last week.
Haven't tested the 3D,
however I wonder if we won't need glasses in another two years or so. Hmm... (Ie: nintendo 3DS)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Average Gamer']I took the bait and bought a Samsung UN55d8000 last week.
Haven't tested the 3D,
however I wonder if we won't need glasses in another two years or so. Hmm... (Ie: 3Ds on the big screen)[/QUOTE]

That is going to cost some BLING.

[quote name='doubledown']Bump for people that ask about 3D.[/QUOTE]

He means me. :lol:

I was a bit disappointed when I learned Crysis 2 is using a "fake" 3D, from what I read it's rendered in 2D and then they take the depth info from the z-buffer and create a left/right eye view from that. That said I hardly noticed it until I started looking into it and it's more noticeable when you bump the separation up from 50% to 100%. What it does is create a ghosting like effect around the edges of objects, where it has to fill in the gaps it creates when adding depth, but on the plus side is it only takes 1.5% of the framerate to do it. Even though I really hate seeing it done this way in a game and touted as 3D, I would really like to see Sony add something like this to its OS, if its possible, so older games could benefit from it.

Crysis 2 visually confused my brain. In some aspects, it was the prettiest game I've ever played, but it also seemed to have a lot of the failings of next generation launch titles, don't really know how to explain what I mean, but it bugged me.

The 3D didn't look bad from what I remember- most of it seemed to be limited to the HUD.

Anyway- nobody has posted in here since U3 came out. That game looked so good in 3D. It set the new gold standard in my book.

I have to try Uncharted 3, but I hate the active glasses. I don't think the "no glasses" thing will work well and am waiting to get a decent passive set - but that will (at least) be the end of the year if not next year at the earliest.

Batman does look decent, but I hate it when I am fighting. I think it is best when you are at the top of the buildings and looking out over the landscape.

I have played U3, Resistance 3, Killzone 3 and Assassin's Creed in 3d and out of all of those i would say Killzone and Resistance look the best in 3d. u3 looks great too and if u have Avatar 3d holy shit its so incredible.

Okay, so I just got a 3d Tv and tried for the first time to play Ass Creed Revelations in 3d and either I am a complete moron (I could be for sure) and cant figure out how to set it up right, or the 3d is terrible in the game and/or on my new TV.

I have a Samsung 42 inch plasma PN43d490 I think it is. I set the 3d on and then tried all three options. 2d to 3d, side by side and top and bottom. None did anything other than make the picture blurry (2d to 3d) or two pictures side by side and top and bottom. And I did make sure my glasses were turned on as well. I tried messing with settings in game as well to no avail.

Anyone know what I did wrong here? Thanks for the help!

I don't have experience with either the tv or the game but it looks like you're just putting the tv into 3D mode, most games will require you to turn the 3D on in the game everytime you play them, usually in the options somewhere, ie. audio/video settings. Also I'm not sure what you're using for a console either, PS3 usually needs to be setup for 3D in the XMB first. Also your manual states "“Side by Side” and “Top & Bottom” are available when the resolution is 720p, 1080i and 1080p in DTV, HDMI and USB mode or when you set the TV’s source to PC and your PC is connected through an HDMI/DVI cable." Hopefully some of this helps.

Mine was really frustrating at first, my PS3 goes through a switch so I had to plug it directly into my 3D adapter first before the PS3 saw my setup as being 3D capable.

I setup the 3d capability through the XMB, so that should be good. In game there is a 3d option to scale the 3d and its default at 7 and stereoscpy is off. I dont see anywhere where it says "turn on/off 3d" so I assumed I just needed to change stereoscopy to some setting. The options were Info...something and framepacking? I tried both along with setting my TV to each of the three 3d modes (side by side, top bottom and 2d to 3d). Nothing worked, or if it did I didnt notice any 3d. Again, I made sure to check the glasses were on each time I changed a setting on the tv and game as well. So i know those were on as well. I will try Uncharted 3 tonight when I get hhome and hope to figure it out on my own.

Thanks

You're not using the right HDMI cable. I recommend getting this one

http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-1312731-10597222?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FAudioQuest%2B-%2BDiamond%2B3.3%2527%2BHigh-Speed%2BHDMI%2BCable%2B-%2BDark%2BGray%2FBlack%2F2383276.p%3Fid%3D1218324437192%26skuId%3D2383276%26st%3Daudioquest%26cp%3D1%26lp%3D4

[quote name='wrencrest']Wow, thanks for the help guys! One of the reviewers was right, this cable or a diamond for my wife? No brainer! Cable it is![/QUOTE]

Haha yea the reviews are hilarious but really do you know if your cable is 3D capable? I think you need a 1.4 HDMI cable. I would check monoprice.

Yeah man, it took me a minute to think about why you were pointing me in that direction. It never dawned on me that I would need a new cable that supported 3d. I see now I need a cat 2 1.3 or a 1.4 and I am sure I dont have either of those. So off to BB to buy a $30 cable until I can get one delivered from monoprice. Then I can return the overpriced BB one. Thanks!

While I was looking into Assassin's Creed's 3D I saw that it too is like Crysis 2 as far as being rendered in 2D and then faking the 3D in post process. I know it works, and barely takes any processing power, but it doesn't look nearly as good as Uncharted 3, God of War, or any of the other 3D rendered games. Has me curious about Gears of War 3 and future releases like Silent Hill: Downpour and Bioshock: Infinite.

[quote name='wrencrest']So I guess that means I need to use the 2d to 3d option on my tv and not the other side by side or top and bottom feature?[/QUOTE]

No it's still an active 3D, I think you select "frame packing" or something like that from what I read. What I was talking about is more to do with the quality of the 3D.

[quote name='hollowfreak']While I was looking into Assassin's Creed's 3D I saw that it too is like Crysis 2 as far as being rendered in 2D and then faking the 3D in post process. I know it works, and barely takes any processing power, but it doesn't look nearly as good as Uncharted 3, God of War, or any of the other 3D rendered games. Has me curious about Gears of War 3 and future releases like Silent Hill: Downpour and Bioshock: Infinite.[/QUOTE]

None of those games compare to the newest batman game. Check that out if you like 3d games. I personally thought crysis 2 was pretty nice in 3d.

I finally got the 3d working in Ass Creed and it actually looks pretty cool. If this isnt as good as other games color me impressed. And for the record, I had to use the 2d to 3d option on my tv and set the game to frame packing.

I always thought the 2D to 3D mode was to "convert" 2D sources into a faked 3D mode for use with the glasses, I've read Samsung does it really well but it's still not stereoscopic 3D. What other output options are in the game? My guess is you'd have to set the game to SbS and the tv to SbS (or both to top and bottom) to get 3D actually enabled. The 2D to 3D mode should work on any old 2D game, test it if you want.

[quote name='Sk']None of those games compare to the newest batman game. Check that out if you like 3d games. I personally thought crysis 2 was pretty nice in 3d.[/QUOTE]

I'll try to check it out, not a big Batman fan, but from what I've read it uses TriOviz which, unless anything's changed recently, is still another 2D+Depth method of faking 3D like in Crysis, it works but it lacks depth and nothing pops out of the screen like in Uncharted 3, laser sites, bullet traces, etc. Avatar: The Game is another really good game for 3D you can set the depth so high in it that it hurts your eyes, try doing that in Crysis 2, you just get halos around your weapon and it still lacks depth.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I always thought the 2D to 3D mode was to "convert" 2D sources into a faked 3D mode for use with the glasses, I've read Samsung does it really well but it's still not stereoscopic 3D. What other output options are in the game? My guess is you'd have to set the game to SbS and the tv to SbS (or both to top and bottom) to get 3D actually enabled. The 2D to 3D mode should work on any old 2D game, test it if you want.

I'll try to check it out, not a big Batman fan, but from what I've read it uses TriOviz which, unless anything's changed recently, is still another 2D+Depth method of faking 3D like in Crysis, it works but it lacks depth and nothing pops out of the screen like in Uncharted 3, laser sites, bullet traces, etc. Avatar: The Game is another really good game for 3D you can set the depth so high in it that it hurts your eyes, try doing that in Crysis 2, you just get halos around your weapon and it still lacks depth.[/QUOTE]

The Samsung 2D-3D was a conversion, and it is done by taking the sharpness/color and creating an artificial depth. It looks pretty bad 90% of the time and only really works to make the picture look funny and any HUD items stand out.

I haven't had a lot of good experiences with the fake 3D- Enslaved was the worst of them all. Monkey got a strange squiggly ghosting all around his body. Going to have to give Batman and AC:R another try on my set though.

I thought the mode was to convert 2d to 3d as well, but there is not a side by side or top and bottom option on Ass Creed. The only stereoscopic options were frame packiong and infovision something? That is why i set the tv to 2d to 3d. Witht hat option and framepacking, the game is blurry until I put on the glasses, whereby I see 3d. If I change the options on the tv to top bottom, or side by side, the image splits and doesnt change with the glasses on. I will try a 2d game as well to see if it changes to 3d on the TV.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I always thought the 2D to 3D mode was to "convert" 2D sources into a faked 3D mode for use with the glasses, I've read Samsung does it really well but it's still not stereoscopic 3D. What other output options are in the game? My guess is you'd have to set the game to SbS and the tv to SbS (or both to top and bottom) to get 3D actually enabled. The 2D to 3D mode should work on any old 2D game, test it if you want.

I'll try to check it out, not a big Batman fan, but from what I've read it uses TriOviz which, unless anything's changed recently, is still another 2D+Depth method of faking 3D like in Crysis, it works but it lacks depth and nothing pops out of the screen like in Uncharted 3, laser sites, bullet traces, etc. Avatar: The Game is another really good game for 3D you can set the depth so high in it that it hurts your eyes, try doing that in Crysis 2, you just get halos around your weapon and it still lacks depth.[/QUOTE]

I liked batman since it added depth but didnt effect the graphical quality, the same goes for crysis. What you said makes sense thought. I didnt like UC3 in 3d since it really ruined the game for me. I will say that outside of batman I thought child of eden had great 3d with good depth and pop out, also it's graphics out side of resolution weren't effected since it uses a lot of primitive geometric shapes.

[quote name='wrencrest']I thought the mode was to convert 2d to 3d as well, but there is not a side by side or top and bottom option on Ass Creed. The only stereoscopic options were frame packiong and infovision something? That is why i set the tv to 2d to 3d. Witht hat option and framepacking, the game is blurry until I put on the glasses, whereby I see 3d. If I change the options on the tv to top bottom, or side by side, the image splits and doesnt change with the glasses on. I will try a 2d game as well to see if it changes to 3d on the TV.[/QUOTE]
You may have answered this already- but is your PS3 set up for 3D? Hold down the power for 5 seconds and do the hard start. It'll auto detect your TV settings and if you have a 3D set, it'll ask you your screen size.

At that point, your PS3 knows you have a 3D set. Then, once 3D data is being sent to the TV, it should just automatically detect it and tell you to turn on your glasses.

[quote name='wrencrest']I thought the mode was to convert 2d to 3d as well, but there is not a side by side or top and bottom option on Ass Creed. The only stereoscopic options were frame packiong and infovision something? That is why i set the tv to 2d to 3d. Witht hat option and framepacking, the game is blurry until I put on the glasses, whereby I see 3d. If I change the options on the tv to top bottom, or side by side, the image splits and doesnt change with the glasses on. I will try a 2d game as well to see if it changes to 3d on the TV.[/QUOTE]
I have a PN64D8000 - which is in the same family as your set and the 2d-3d is the fake stuff.

Typically, when I select a game and tell it to go into 3D mode, I see the "3D" icon in the bottom left corner indicate that it's ready to send the signal. All I have to do is turn on my glasses afterwards and it starts broadcasting the 3d signal. I did have a particularly confusing time setting up Gears of War on my xbox though. I'll play with something tonight and take note of my steps to see if there is something I'm forgetting I do.

I tried God of War Origins last night and it worked like a charm. I just turned on 3d in the options and the tv auto tuned to 3d and all I had to do was turn on my glasses. But Ass Creed does not have this same type of on/off option anywhere I found. So I am unsure still whats going on there. I think I will just say "fuck it" tonight and play in regular 2d and enjoy the game. Thanks for all the help guys.

Got a chance to play some more of Uncharted 3 this weekend I was really impressed with chapter 13 in 3D, although I had something odd happen leading up to it. At the very end of chapter 12, while walking through the corridor, it was "raining" in my right eye and not in my left eye. I liked how most of the level was in motion plus it was raining as well and the sun was breaking through the clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKICiZxU06A

Anyone here have a passive 3D set? I just bought an LG 55". Movies look great and games are good also, so far I've only tried KZ3 and R3.

Anyway, my real question is the "Dual Play" capability (splitscreen game, no splitscreen view). I made my own glasses from the RealD 3D movie freebies but I found some ghosting of the other play's view. Anyone else have experience with this? Is there any way to get rid of that, or is that inherent with the technology? Maybe the official LG Dual Play lenses will fix this...

I can't really comment on passive glasses, my setup uses DLP Link, but I will say Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth looks pretty sweet in 3D. :lol:

bread's done
Back