30% HD-DVDs at Best Buy (YMMV)

metallicoholic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Don't know how much of a true "deal" this is but at my local Best Buy (Orlando, Florida in Waterford Lakes), there were signs printed below all the HD DVDs that said 30% off all HD-DVDs. Again, this isn't much of a deal since most of these movies can be bought on Amazon for much cheaper, but I figured I'd pass it along in case someone out there has some serious love for the BB.

They're online too, but it seemed like they didn't have 30% off all of them online. Was lucky enough to pick up American Gangster as well as Beauwolf.

I have a picture. Not a great deal though. Cheapest movies are 25 so 30% off would be around 18. Not great at all.

pic0011jn3.th.jpg

That sign says, 30% Off All HD-DVD Software.

Why can't Best Buy get anything right... it's HD DVD and they are not software, they are films.

So... would this apply to Planet Earth? The website lists it as $56 right now but it also says that price is "Online Only."

[quote name='Sgt Grumbles']So... would this apply to Planet Earth? The website lists it as $56 right now but it also says that price is "Online Only."[/quote]

The sign says, 30% Off All HD-DVD Software, so therefore....YES ! Or it's false advertising and against the law.

[quote name='Sgt Grumbles']So... would this apply to Planet Earth? The website lists it as $56 right now but it also says that price is "Online Only."[/quote]

Planet Earth, Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek boxed sets were all in the 30% off rack at the store I was at. All were listed at full retail price so the 30% just gets them close to Amazon prices. I had an extra 10% off coupon and picked up American Gangster.

[quote name='Advocatus']Why can't Best Buy get anything right... it's HD DVD and they are not software, they are films.[/QUOTE]

Hardware: A physically tangible product, such as a player or computer.

Software: A physically intangible product, like a program, video game, film/song. Though you are buying a disc in a case, that is not the actual product you purchasing, rather the content stored on the disc.

Also, as I mentioned in the online sale thread, I saw this at the Altamonte Springs, FL store Tuesday morning. As shown in the photo earlier in this thread, the signage is corporate-printed, and it's extremely likely this is a company-wide clearance effort.

I am curious - how does this relate to the sale the bestbuy.com website is having? The discounted prices on the site are greater than that of the 30% off, and the store should price-match the website....so what is the purpose of this sale? To lure in unsuspecting customers?

[quote name='SuperFox']I am curious - how does this relate to the sale the bestbuy.com website is having? The discounted prices on the site are greater than that of the 30% off, and the store should price-match the website....so what is the purpose of this sale? To lure in unsuspecting customers?[/QUOTE]
Though Best Buy tends to have better integration than many of their competitors, B&M and website stores are actually treated as seperate and many times have different prices and promotions. You can see this because, for example, there are seperate price-matching, return/exchange, etc, guidelines listed depending on whether you shopped online or off. In-store pick-ups are actually classified as online orders.

You'll see that this seperation is true for pretty much every store that has both a B&M and an online presence. This lack of integration and cooperation, in my experience, tends to be most irritating with Toys R Us and their non-uniform sale selection and prices.

[quote name='CaHooKaMan']ugh.. i paid 29.99 for american gangster since i bought it 2 days after it came out[/quote]
If you still have your receipt, go back and get a price adjustment. That's what I did with Beowulf.

I've seen most Best Buy's doing this sale but they still don't beat any Amazon prices yet. Amazon just lowered more in the last 2 days.

If they go to 50% it will still be pretty spendy since they still have many titles marked at 29.99 and 34.99.

Gotta go 75%+ to really move them. My closest BB is still packed with them.

Best Buy Can and WILL match their online prices!!
I picked up a bunch last night for at the physical stores for $10.49 a piece.

They have to do an override but they will do it!

[quote name='Cameron4All']Best Buy Can and WILL match their online prices!!
I picked up a bunch last night for at the physical stores for $10.49 a piece.

They have to do an override but they will do it![/quote]

Totally confirmed. I brought 5 HD DVDs to the BB register ... he rang them up at the 30% discount, at which point I asked him to price match the online store - which he did.

If you get grief, just ask to see a manager and mention that you could order them for online pickup, come back and get the same discount. Basically, spare you the grief.

If THAT doesn't work, I'm sure a supervisor or district manager would find it extremely poor customer service to have a manager make you do that.

[quote name='Kylearan']Totally confirmed. I brought 5 HD DVDs to the BB register ... he rang them up at the 30% discount, at which point I asked him to price match the online store - which he did.

If you get grief, just ask to see a manager and mention that you could order them for online pickup, come back and get the same discount. Basically, spare you the grief.

If THAT doesn't work, I'm sure a supervisor or district manager would find it extremely poor customer service to have a manager make you do that.[/quote]

Lucky you man. I wasn't so lucky and paid as most as 20.49 for American Gangster and Beowulf.

And my main argument point was The Matrix Trilogy, which has been 44.99 for weeks, and I told them to look at the price. 44.99 of 79.99 isn't 30%. It should be 55 if its 30%. He then asked me if I would like it at 55 and it seems like I would be getting a better deal with the 10 bucks off.

And I even had the manager stand there and tell me, that just because it says 79.99 on the case, doesn't make it the price. So I went home without the Matrix Trilogy. I was tired of the BS and I'll just wait it out. They have plenty of copies.

I know that damn manager hates my guts too. I've raked them through the coals many times and the after christmas sales, My mom and I really did them in.

the movies that were 10.49 are back to being 16.99 now. weird. a few hours ago they were 10.49 and when i checked right now the prices went up.

[quote name='CaHooKaMan']the movies that were 10.49 are back to being 16.99 now. weird. a few hours ago they were 10.49 and when i checked right now the prices went up.[/QUOTE]

Even more ridiculous, the $9.95 movies jumped to $24.99. All inventory is supposed to be moved by the end of this month and they're increasing some prices by 150%? Strange.

FWIW, I saw a post on another forum saying BB will have HD DVDs for 40% off soon and then whatever is left will be shipped back to the studios. Don't know if the source is reliable or not. Just a heads up though.

Here's what you have to understand about Best Buy general managers.

They're full of crap. They think they can magically sell everything for MSRP if the employee "tries hard enough".

We had a Panasonic 1080p 42" Plasma that is a clearance roll out. It's an "at risk" item, meaning we have to get rid of it for as much as we can, or corporate will slash the price and we'll take a hit on it. It was $1800 MSRP, my sup threw it out on the floor at $1200 with a clearance tag and a note that says "Does not qualify for HD Advantage" which was a good idea.

People were checking it out a lot, because it was a good deal. No bites though.

My GM was like, "No, put it to $1600 if they buy 3 accessories and a Blu-ray player, it's still $200 off." He thought, because of how many people were interested, he could hike the price up and people would still be interested. A complete idiot. Finally, he marked it all the way back up to $1800, MSRP and if you buy in-home services, he would take the money out of the TV price. Which is a good deal, if you planned on getting an installer to wall mount it in your house, and set up your home theater. But for people that just want a TV, service plan and maybe a Blu-ray player, it's a horrible deal.

He kept playing grab*** with it, and not letting us sell it, and guess what happened? The TV is still here, two of them in fact, brand new in box and they're slashed down to $1079. A 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma, at $1079 that qualifies for HD Advantage. So now we're taking a $200 hit on it, when we could've broke even on it and gotten rid of it, because our GM was playing footsie with the prices trying to get as much as he can.

What you'll find is that, other than the 30% store-wide clearance (which is going on at my store too), most of the in-store deals are HUGE YMMV. What'll happen is:

They slash the prices on HD-DVD's to 50% off. A lot of people buy them, and the managers think, "Oh people want those movies really bad. Change it to 40% off." The prices go up. They think that people are so interested in the movies, they'll pay as much as they can to get them.

I've had customers walk out of the store on me because my GM will come in and try to "take over" my sale.

In closing, just know that with BB, check if the GM is there. If he's not there, become a negotiator and anything can happen. PM online prices and get 30% off. HDDVD's are a major at risk item, so anyone OTHER than a GM will do anything to make you take them home.

bread's done
Back