30" Philips HDTV $269 *DEAD*

[quote name='hiamiyumi']This model doesn't have HDMI input, only DVI.[/quote]

Yes it does, you need to pay better attention!!

[quote name='Vinny']I was considered a Philips refurb but due to weight and what not, just got a 32" Sharp Aquos instead. But at this price, I would've had a damn hard time deciding.

Too bad it only does 1080i though.[/QUOTE]

Your Sharp Aqous does the same exact as this TV.

480i
480p
720p
1080i

Did you expect this TV to do 1080p also? or did you think it didn't do 720p also ;)

[quote name='stoned99']Yes it does, you need to pay better attention!![/QUOTE]I think you need to pay better attention!! He said the Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD didn't have the HDMI not the TV the OP posted. Learn to read maybe?

Man this is a tough choice...

But I'm wandering, with the tuner, would HD cables/antenna be needed?

I've got a 19" SDtv (not even flat) and I'm in need of upgrading..but I'm not willing to shell out $300 + another $100 (for hd signals) right now, so..

[quote name='Foo228']Man this is a tough choice...

I've got a 19" SDtv (not even flat) and I'm in need of upgrading..but I'm not willing to shell out $300 + another $100 (for hd signals) right now, so..[/quote]Tuner is built in. You can use a regular TV antenna.

My cousin is ordering one.
Damn, it has Optical out too, really good deal.

[quote name='Foo228']Man this is a tough choice...

I've got a 19" SDtv (not even flat) and I'm in need of upgrading..but I'm not willing to shell out $300 + another $100 (for hd signals) right now, so..[/quote]

Bunny ears will let you pull in HD broadcasts with this, assuming you are near the city of course.

This is a sweet deal but my cabinet limits me to a TV with a width no wider than 30 1/2". Anyone know of a HDTV no wider than that? No smaller than a 30" screen though.

Good Deal,

And for people who want to know about pulling in HD over the Air take a look at
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

it will let you know what you can grab OTA.

Also it has a QAM tuner so if you have a cable you can get the unencrypted HD channels. Just plug your COAX right into it and let it scan easy as pie.

[quote name='suko_32']So in the long run, how long can I expect this to keep working? I'm just a little weary about refurbs.[/quote]

If they did a quality job and I am assuming they did and you take care of it the set should last years and years.

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']This is a sweet deal but my cabinet limits me to a TV with a width no wider than 30 1/2". Anyone know of a HDTV no wider than that? No smaller than a 30" screen though.[/quote]Physically impossible...... Haha, this made me laugh though.

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']This is a sweet deal but my cabinet limits me to a TV with a width no wider than 30 1/2". Anyone know of a HDTV no wider than that? No smaller than a 30" screen though.[/quote]

Maybe one of those 26" CRTs will fit ... maybe. But your best bet would be a 26" or smaller LCD. You just won't manage it with a 30-incher.

In the past I read that it was a mild pain in the ass ordering these CRT HDTVs from Philips because they would come in with minor fuck-ups and you'd have to call Philips to send a repair guy over and fix it. It wouldn't cost you any more money but it'd be a mild inconvenience. Have they settled this problem recently? Thanks.

EDIT: Overscan should be easily fixable through the service menu, right?

[quote name='Ranger Rick']How well would this TV function as a PC Monitor? Also is it an HDMI input or a DVI input?[/QUOTE]
You could use it as a monitor with a HDMI/DVI adapter, but it probably wouldn't work that great.

idk why the picture is so wierd but it doesnt really show a full view of the tv how big is it exactly like a tube tv or flat thin screen?

[quote name='brian101']idk why the picture is so wierd but it doesnt really show a full view of the tv how big is it exactly like a tube tv or flat thin screen?[/QUOTE]
Big ass tube.

[quote name='pimpinc333']..................

Your Sharp Aqous does the same exact as this TV.

480i
480p
720p
1080i

Did you expect this TV to do 1080p also? or did you think it didn't do 720p also ;)[/QUOTE]

Similar but not exact. This TV is 1080i native... my Sharp is 720p native. This TV doesn't do 720p, it scales to 1080i (it just accepts all signals). That's why I said it's 1080i only.

This TV can do one thing my Sharp can't though... and that's break my back.;) Still, this TV costs like.. 1/3 my TV though- would've saved me a ton of money.

[quote name='dallow']Umm, oh crap. No 720p?
So the older PS3 games will play at 480p huh?

Gotta warn my cousin now![/QUOTE]
No, not true. Upscales to 1080i.

[quote name='zewone']No, not true. Upscales to 1080i.[/QUOTE]

I think he was talking about native 720p. You can't 'upscale' 720p to 1080i... native 1080i TVs only have 540 horizontal.

CRT's that cost over $1,000 look better then some LCD and Plasma. This TV will look good but 99% of name brand LCD's and Plasma's(Haier and stuff like that not so much) will destory this.

Just remember you get what you pay for. If you want to save $200-$300 and have a big-ass CRT, then great.

FWIW, I have had the most horrible experience with Phillips' TVs. I probably wouldn't jump on this even if it were a LCD.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Just remember you get what you pay for. If you want to save $200-$300 and have a big-ass CRT, then great.

FWIW, I have had the most horrible experience with Phillips' TVs. I probably wouldn't jump on this even if it were a LCD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's great for college. You get an HDTV, and less of a chance that someone will break it in a drunken fury.

Reality's Fringe;3118296]Yeah said:
absofuckinlutely why my olevia 537h is going in my bedroom and not the living room. I was thinkin of getting this for the living room. Is there anything else 600 or less that would be a better lcd option?

what a deal..

im about 90% sure that im going to buy it, its lookin real good

thanks to everyone with all the info and help about the hd stuff..

Yea you have to be careful transporting this. I had the model under this a couple years ago, and when I was bringing it back home from school, it must have broke the degauser. There were pink blotches on the bottom part of he screen.

[quote name='dallow']Umm, oh crap. No 720p?
So the older PS3 games will play at 480p huh?

Gotta warn my cousin now![/quote]

No he will be fine, the issue was the PS3 not scaling and some older CRT based HDTVs could not scale a 720p game to output at 1080i they have since fixed this with one of the first firmware updates. Any how this TV can scale it anyway thats way it can accept a 720p source. The TV itself will scale it to the correct native resolution be it 1920 x 1080 (1080i/p)or 1280 x 720 (720p)

[quote name='Vinny']I think he was talking about native 720p. You can't 'upscale' 720p to 1080i... native 1080i TVs only have 540 horizontal.[/quote]
Not true 1080i is 1920 x 1080, 540 lines would be more like a PAL tv. Think about it this way a SDTV is 720 x 480 or 480i. 480p has the same amount of pixels it just shows it in a progressives mode. You are correct in the fact that at any given moment only 540 lines are being displayed but there are 1080 lines of resolution.

[quote name='nyprimus4']That 37" Westinghouse 1080p LCD HDTV is the way to go for only $598.[/QUOTE]

im just not feeling the 12ms response time. Also, I do not have a cable box at school only wall jack. So now im torn... lol.

[quote name='nyprimus4']That 37" Westinghouse 1080p LCD HDTV is the way to go for only $598.[/quote]

yeah but beware of Ecost.

[quote name='nyprimus4']That 37" Westinghouse 1080p LCD HDTV is the way to go for only $598.[/QUOTE]
More than double the price... If you can afford $500 to $600, you can do far better than this TV. If the best you can do is $300, this is your best bet. You'd be hard pressed to find any alternatives for this price point.

I own two Philips CRTs and one LCD. I paid $300 each for the CRT's a couple years ago (GREAT deal at the time). A month or two ago, I bought a new 32" LCD for $400 (one of the best deals so far this year). Well worth the extra money. It all depends on how much you've got to spend.

[quote name='dafoomie']More than double the price... If you can afford $500 to $600, you can do far better than this TV. If the best you can do is $300, this is your best bet. You'd be hard pressed to find any alternatives for this price point.

I own two Philips CRTs and one LCD. I paid $300 each for the CRT's a couple years ago (GREAT deal at the time). A month or two ago, I bought a new 32" LCD for $400 (one of the best deals so far this year). Well worth the extra money. It all depends on how much you've got to spend.[/QUOTE]

whered u get the 32" for 400? This will be a living room tv and I think itll suit well (the 30") since I will just be getting another living room tv when i move in with my fiance. I already have a 37 inch olevia but dont wanna use it in the living room.

Thanks zewone. I'm looking for a bedroom TV and if this was an LCD I'd probably bite - we just don't have the room for something that big but an HDTV for under $300 shipped is pretty good.

On an unrelated note, as soon as THIS TV goes below $1,800 I'm buying it. Maybe I'll move the 42" plasma to the bedroom... :)

I've been reading through this thread and this seems like a great deal. I have no HDTV (or even a good size set at all) for my bedroom. I've been planning on getting a 360 but I'm going to try and swing my parents to let me get this instead and I'll just pick up my 360 down the road sometime. I'm in no rush to get one of those to be honest.

So it is going to be possible to have all three consoles hooked up at the same time, right?

Also, how long does shipping normally take? I'm out in the greater L.A. area. :)

[quote name='Ed_']So it is going to be possible to have all three consoles hooked up at the same time, right?

Also, how long does shipping normally take? I'm out in the greater L.A. area. :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, two component inputs and a HDMI input.

Takes about two weeks for it to be in your home.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Man, I'm just about sold on this thing. The only thing holding me back is the size. About how deep would you say this thing is, zew?[/QUOTE]
1' 1/2 or 2' or so. Pretty deep, but if you afford the size like I can I'd say for it.

DVDs look good Alfonso, depending on your player and the connection type.

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']So, what kind of cables/hook-ups would be recommended for a DVD player? Any certain options on a dvd player that should be looked at?[/QUOTE]
At least component to use 480p.

You can get upconverting players that go up to 1080i with HDMI.

Think I am going to pass. Decided I can hold off till fall/winter, and hopefully snag an LCD for a decent price. Primary reason being the location I want to put this most likely can't hold a TV that heavy. I'll keep chugging along in SD for the time being.

bread's done
Back