$300 Vita First Edition Bundle at EB Games

Booyakz

CAGiversary!
I can't remember if anyone's posted about this on here in the past (deal's been around for quite some time), so just posting to inform everyone.

http://www.ebgames.ca/playstation-vita-first-edition-bundle-wi-fi-system/311802#bonusFeatures

This is actually an alright deal, as it includes:
PS Vita (Wi-Fi System) - $249.99
Little Deviants - $29.99
4 GB Memory Card - $19.99
"Exclusive" PS Vita Case - Priceless! ;) (The ones on the US website, which aren't exclusive are priced at $19.99, so let's say it's the same)

Add that up, you get: $319.96 (plus access a week earlier)
So, you save $19.96.

Personally, I wasn't interested in Little Deviants, but I'm sure I'll be purchasing a memory card and a case (I have for both my 3DS and PSP), so I'm getting it for $10. Worth it, IMO.

It's not really a deal since it's a bundle. I pre-ordered this during Black Friday when EB had Trade 2 for $60 TIV, but that was under the assumption that all Vita games were going to be $49.99 and I thought we were getting the 3G model with the First Edition. Also the 4 GB card is rather small since I've been buying PSP games on PSN in anticipation for NGP. I would've preferred if they had 16 GB, at least like PSPgo.

You wasted those 2 games for 60$?.. You do know EB has a promo going, where you trade in 1 8$ game or more, and you get 25$ each game you trade in towards hardware.

You mean I trade in one qualifier and the rest of my non-qualifying games will also get bumped to $25? Is this promo still going on?

[quote name='Mr.']You mean I trade in one qualifier and the rest of my non-qualifying games will also get bumped to $25? Is this promo still going on?[/QUOTE]

No, I mean each 8$ game you trade in, gets bumped to 25$. 3 games gives you 75$.

But I traded two games and got $60 TIV... so they got bumped up to $30 each. How is this wasting two games?

[quote name='Mr.']But I traded two games and got $60 TIV... so they got bumped up to $30 each. How is this wasting two games?[/QUOTE]

Because, that promo is a one time thing. You can use that one as often as you want, and 3-4 games gets you 100$ off.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Because, that promo is a one time thing. You can use that one as often as you want, and 3-4 games gets you 100$ off.[/QUOTE]

Wow I'm confused right now. He got $60 towards hardware out of two games. You're saying $25 for each. That's only $50 in total....

[quote name='Mr.']It's not really a deal since it's a bundle. I pre-ordered this during Black Friday when EB had Trade 2 for $60 TIV, but that was under the assumption that all Vita games were going to be $49.99 and I thought we were getting the 3G model with the First Edition. Also the 4 GB card is rather small since I've been buying PSP games on PSN in anticipation for NGP. I would've preferred if they had 16 GB, at least like PSPgo.[/QUOTE]

Does it not belong on here? >.< I wasn't sure so I just posted it.

This bundle used to be $30 more valuable, when we all thought Vita games cost $50 and the 4 GB Memory Card was $30, rather than $20. In actuality, looking back on my prior post, what I should have said is that you pay full price for the device, memory card and game, but get the case for free.

[quote name='AftComet']Wow I'm confused right now. He got $60 towards hardware out of two games. You're saying $25 for each. That's only $50 in total....[/QUOTE]\

Agreed. 2 games = $50 vs. 2 games = $60?

[quote name='AftComet']Wow I'm confused right now. He got $60 towards hardware out of two games. You're saying $25 for each. That's only $50 in total....[/QUOTE]

I think the gist was that if he did the trade for $25, there was no limit to how many he could trade. He could theoretically trade 8 games for $200. Instead the two for $60 is capped at two games total.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']I think the gist was that if he did the trade for $25, there was no limit to how many he could trade. He could theoretically trade 8 games for $200. Instead the two for $60 is capped at two games total.[/QUOTE]

Oooooh, that makes more sense. But I got lost when he had said "you wasted 2 games on $60".

Judging by the sales of the Vita in Japan last weekend, I will wait until Sony lowers the price. Even at $300 for the bundle, I think it is still overpriced. Who wants a measly 4GB memory card?

I don't see what's so confusing in what I said. With the 2 for 60$ promo, you get stuck with 60$. With the other promo, you can trade in any number of games which get boosted to 25$ each. 4 games = 100$, 8=200$. You can mostly find qualifiers for cheap now too if you get lucky.

I'm still confused as to why you would think I would be stuck at $60. I just traded in three more qualifiers and they got upped to $25 each. That $75 was added to my existing Vita preorder and now I'm at $135.

Where are you picking up these cheap qualifiers? Most places are a complete mess after the Christmas/Boxing Day madness.

The "value" in this bundle lies in the fact that you get it on February 15th. All of the games and accessories will be available on the 15th with it, but the Vita units themselves do not actually go on sale until the 22nd, a week later.

This is more for people looking to get their Vita a week earlier, rather than people looking to save money.

The first edition bundle on Amazon is the 3G version. http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-V...VP0O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325364991&sr=8-3

So this isn't technically a deal, but nice find. I am purchasing the wi-fi version off amazon, i was wondering if they were gonna do any first edition with the wi-fi. I am going to send them your link and see if they will price match. I plan on buying a 32 GB card to go with my initial purchase, make it only hurt once. So on second thought, i might save the $65 and throw it towards my 32GB card. I plan on getting Escape Plan on day one, but i don't plan on throwing any money at physical copies until i start to see some amazon deals with $20 or $15 credit to start getting them.

US (Note Amazon.COM above) is the 3G system, but within our Canadian stores it's the Wi-Fi model. If it was 3G I'd already have preordered.

[quote name='djsaiyan']This is more for people looking to get their Vita a week earlier, rather than people looking to save money.[/QUOTE] It would be a better value to get the Japanese/Asian version three months early.

[quote name='Thrice5']I plan on buying a 32 GB card to go with my initial purchase, make it only hurt once.[/QUOTE] Apparently there will be other memory card manufacturers besides Sony so the price of those things should drop.

[quote name='bdavid81']US (Note Amazon.COM above) is the 3G system, but within our Canadian stores it's the Wi-Fi model. If it was 3G I'd already have preordered.[/QUOTE] Just as well since we have ridiculously over-priced data plans in Canada.

Is there something I'm missing as to why people want the 3G version of the Vita? Wi-Fi is enough for internet usage, I don't see why anyone would want to spend more money on it.

[quote name='djsaiyan']The "value" in this bundle lies in the fact that you get it on February 15th. All of the games and accessories will be available on the 15th with it, but the Vita units themselves do not actually go on sale until the 22nd, a week later.

This is more for people looking to get their Vita a week earlier, rather than people looking to save money.[/QUOTE]

It's not really saving money anyway.

Anyone interested in the 3G system should definitely look it up, as the features it offers aren't particularly great. Well, the one thing that excited me was the idea of multiplayer on-the-go, but multiplayer is NOT available over 3G. >.

[quote name='Booyakz']Anyone interested in the 3G system should definitely look it up, as the features it offers aren't particularly great. Well, the one thing that excited me was the idea of multiplayer on-the-go, but multiplayer is NOT available over 3G. >.

If you have a 3G device or an internet stick, it is entirely pointless to get the 3G model.

Additionally, I retract my prior statement of there being no multiplayer over 3G. Some games do support 3G multiplayer, for example, hustle kings. Perhaps that's some consolation? I'm more interested in say, Uncharted multiplayer, on-the-go.

[quote name='Booyakz']If you have a 3G device or an internet stick, it is entirely pointless to get the 3G model.

Additionally, I retract my prior statement of there being no multiplayer over 3G. Some games do support 3G multiplayer, for example, hustle kings. Perhaps that's some consolation? I'm more interested in say, Uncharted multiplayer, on-the-go.[/QUOTE]

Did you know that Golden Abyss does not have multiplayer? Or are you talking about a potential future Uncharted title on Vita?

Indeed, I knew of the lack of a multiplayer component in Golden Abyss, but seeing as Uncharted MP is my favourite MP on PS3 (and has one of the largest communities out of the Sony exclusives), I was hoping that at some point in the future Sony would attempt to bring that experience to the handheld market.

The seeming lack of 3G multiplayer in AAA games makes me think that a handheld COD will be a major failure though. The majority of COD players are most interested in the multiplayer component, not the single player campaign. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy it, maybe for a 6-hour flight, but who else would? :S

Wi-Fi is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Aanyway, the Vita seems like an amazing handheld, with or without 3G multiplayer.

[quote name='Mr.']Apparently there will be other memory card manufacturers besides Sony so the price of those things should drop.[/QUOTE]

Citation on this or is this just more rumour mill bullshit?

The whole reason Sony even bothers making proprietary memory cards is so people buy first-party.

I'm gonna wait a week & get what I want. PS Vita, case, 16g mem card, WipeOut 2048 & Blazeblue will come out to about $450 after HST.

Probably should wait for the inevitable price drop, but I got a 3DS day one, same price & it had less than 1/4 of the quality games that Vita does. And you get a million times better designed platform w/ far more potential than 3DS ever had.

F*ck the media. From my experience they're ALWAYS wrong, it's only a matter of what degree they're wrong.

The Vita is starting off really slowly though, 2 weeks and they've only moved 440,000 units. >.< That's one of the worst launches in PlayStation's history.

I'm hoping for another Ambassador program, I screwed up with the 3DS and missed the window for getting my 3DS online, I'm hoping for another shot at this. :p

In all seriousness, I don't think there's going to be a price drop, I surmise the Vita will sell around one million units in North America and Europe in their first week. The major system seller (which any major gaming news outlet will attest to) is Uncharted: Golden Abyss. While Uncharted is relatively well received in Japan, they are a drop in the bucket of the Uncharted franchise's lifetime sales of 13 million units.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just catching up on gaming news, and the Vita got a 20% UNOFFICIAL price drop, in Japan, and the Vita was outsold by the 3DS 4:1. >.<

retro.elite, HK&TWN is traditionally a tiny (yet fast-growing) market, correct? The only stories I ever hear about gaming in those areas is Starcraft and knockoffs...

It's not selling well in Japan, because it doesn't have Monster Hunter, or a JRPG that people want. When it gets released in NA, then we can see what happens.

All handhelds start off slow. The DS, the PSP, this is nothing new.

And all the major retailers in Japan are still selling the Vita at MSRP. One sign with a discounted price does not a 20% price drop make.

Here's a great article from Dale North at Destructoid on the subject: http://www.destructoid.com/don-t-worry-the-playstation-vita-is-going-to-be-fine-219055.phtml

And yeah like Omega said, at launch it was competing with a cheaper 3DS, with two Mario games AND Monster Hunter, with a mostly western focused launch lineup. That it didn't sell well is really not surprising.

Did 3DS get all the same bad media before it's launch?

I don't remember, probably never paid attention.

In hindsight, 3ds should have got the same bad press, more when compared to Vita's launch line-up, design & specs.

The gaming media is bottom of the barrel journalism so I expect it from them, but even Forbes and other mainstream media outlets are reporting Vita's dead on arrival because of the slow start in Japan.

I was under the impression that many major retailers had discounted the Vita by 20%, which was being considered an unofficial price drop (again, by gaming media outlets).

The 3DS had very negative press before being released, but when it arrived it sold quite well (not as great as the DS, which many outlets pointed out, but well none the less). The main reason the media was down on the 3DS was the abysmal launch lineup.

The Vita is a very different case, all the websites/magazines I read have positive reports about the Vita, having great hardware/features, an amazing launch line-up and loads of potential (Golden Abyss looks like Drake's Fortune, an it's a launch title, imagine a few years from now). If the Vita gets Monster Hunter, things might turn around in Japan, but I whole-heatedly believe they were not the intended audience AT LAUNCH, based solely on the launch line-up, which is indeed very Western focused.

Regardless, it isn't good news that the Vita isn't selling well over sees, especially for those who love Japanese developed games. If the devs don't see an audience on a platform (so say JRPGs on the Vita) they won't develop anything for it. Look how may great JRPGs the 360 has. -.-

bread's done
Back