32" LCD tv $397 BRAND NEW

if you dont have an hd tv then this is great.

edit. yea the brand is questionable..

i actually suggest going for an olevia set.

[quote name='guyver2077']if you dont have an hd tv then this is great.

edit. yea the brand is questionable..

i actually suggest going for an olevia set.[/quote]

Me to, but usually these guys gets their lcd screens from the same manufacturers as the big companies and with a 1 year warranty you cant beat it really. I bought a bravia and it crapped in 3 months got an Olevia its been great ever since..I took a chance on Olevia when they were known as "kolin-syntax" and it was an awesome buy...Sceptre was also a sleeper brand so I would take my chance with this..Frys is good about returns to...

I bought an Envision 32" for $440 (a/c @ Staples) a few months back.

I'm very satisfied with it, and it was my first HD so I wasn't super picky anyway. I have come to dislike blacks, but its a really small complaint since I'm not a huge movie buff nor do I play a ton of dark games.

Looks like Emprex makes lots of electronics. The Envision company I purchased from only made PC moniters really.

By the way, Olevia sucks :eek: I've never seen a floor display Olevia I thought had good picture quality, just my opinion though and maybe you have to do a lot of settings changes to get them looking good. Anyway, I'd definitely take my Envision of an Olevia any day, I know it sounds far fetched but its true.

If I didn't have my Envision I'd probably jump on this.

I can see your hate for Olevia for one obvious reason. The newer ones arent as impressive as they Kolin series that I have. Back then they got their panels from LG/Philips and basically slapped their name on them now they get them from a different supplier...My girlfriends grandfather bought one after I rant and raved about how great it looked he got his and mine looked a lot better. His still looked good but not as sharp as mine.

Seriously my lcd spanks every other set I have seen..It just looks so damn good.

Heres pics.
Finding Nemo 480p

DSCF0531.jpg

Fight Night Round 3 720p
DSCF0569.jpg

went ahead and bought one of these... using it for 360 gaming because there are so many great titles hitting this holiday season that my sdtv just wouldnt do justice to. I'll post a review in the proper section after i get to play around with it.

[quote name='GeneralJenkins']went ahead and bought one of these... using it for 360 gaming because there are so many great titles hitting this holiday season that my sdtv just wouldnt do justice to. I'll post a review in the proper section after i get to play around with it.[/QUOTE]
Definitely keep us posted. I might have to jump on it once I get my credit card paid off in the next couple weeks. That is, unless it turns out to suck major ass.

Wow, that's a nice price and it seems to have a lot of features, hdmi, 720p and 1080i. I'm thinking I'll probably buy a new tv early next year, and if the price even stays at this level I'll be happy.

well for right now im not happy with the customer service at frys.com. i ordered the tv sunday at around 4pm and its been listed as back ordered ever since. I called yesterday (monday the 1st) and they told me itd ship no problem and that it was in stock. called again today and there is a problem in the system where they are backordered.

just got off the phone with a supervisor and he took off shipping and about $20 of the purchase so its down to 380 for the tv so im gonna keep my order in for now. Anyone else order this or something else from frys and have this problem?

I picked up this TV on the July 4th weekend sale for $400. So far my experience with it has been... troublesome. You can check the AVS forum thread on it for more details, but a number of these models experience a phenomenon we have come to call blanking. The picture just cuts to black for a second and then reappears. The audio is fine and so is the power. It's just the picture that cuts out. It usually happens for me after the TV has been on for a few hours and while watching something is hooked into a video input. It never seems to happen while watching TV.

First, I contacted Fry's to try to get a replacement. I'd known already that they don't give refunds for TVs larger than 30", so I asked for an exchange. Naturally, they were out of stock and wouldn't be getting any more for the forseeable future, so all they could offer me was a credit for the purchase price. The closest model they had was a Toshiba 32" for $750, but at the time I didn't have the money to spend to upgrade, so I went about contacting Emprex about getting it fixed. Their customer service seemed fairly helpful, walking me through troubleshooting the problem and then offering me an RMA for it. I shipped it out and waited. A week after it had been delivered, I still hadn't heard back from them about it, so I emailed to ask about the status. They hadn't been able to reproduce the problem, so they swapped out the main circuit board for another one and shipped it back. Yesterday it arrives on my doorstep and I hook it up. Lo and behold an hour or so later, it happens again. I'm going to run some more thorough tests on it and report back to them about it. Hopefully I can get this resolved.

On the brighter side, the TV looks awesome in HD. SD stuff is decent, not great, but that's not what I bought the TV for anyway. Also, some people over at the AVS forums are reporting that there is a newer model of the HD-3202 that comes with two HDMI ports. Hopefully that one doesn't have this issue.

And it looks like Emprex is made in China by BTC and distributed in the US in Fry's under the Emprex brand. Their products are rebadged under a number of brands including some Sceptre models.

Edit: This is the AVS forum thread you should be reading.

[quote name='radjago']I picked up this TV on the July 4th weekend sale for $400. So far my experience with it has been... troublesome. You can check the AVS forum thread on it for more details, but a number of these models experience a phenomenon we have come to call blanking. The picture just cuts to black for a second and then reappears. The audio is fine and so is the power. It's just the picture that cuts out. It usually happens for me after the TV has been on for a few hours and while watching something is hooked into a video input. It never seems to happen while watching TV.[/quote]

That sounds like an issue the PS3 had with Westinghouse LCDS called "The Mystery of the Blinking PS3s". See the following link....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4212161.html

It appears the HDMI signal coming from the PS3 has trouble syncronizing with the HDTV during HDCP authentication.

The link provides a quick fix, but it doesn't guarantee it will work all the time.

Good luck.

[quote name='PyreStorm']That sounds like an issue the PS3 had with Westinghouse LCDS called "The Mystery of the Blinking PS3s". See the following link....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4212161.html

It appears the HDMI signal coming from the PS3 has trouble syncronizing with the HDTV during HDCP authentication.

The link provides a quick fix, but it doesn't guarantee it will work all the time.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]
For one, I'm not using the HDMI connection. I've got my 360 connected by VGA and I've had it hooked up to Component and Composite and it all behaves the same. From that video, it looks like that problem is more frequent and predictable than mine. Mine blanks only once or twice an hour on average, but I've seen the interval between blanks grow as small as a minute. Also the sound is unaffected.

ok so let me preface by saying that i am in no way an expert in hd television or the differences between them but i do watch alot of tv and play alot of games so im not a total idiot.

First off shipping on this was ridiculously fast to central PA. the day after it was shipped I received it... 24 hours. Very nice for ground shipping.

SDtv looks good.... much better than the 19 inch sd set i was rocking in my room before but not quite as good as my 27 inch phillips crt. All in all its bareable without tweaking and looks quite good with good settings.

HDTV looks good at first but with tweaking i couldnt tell the difference btwn this tv and the phillips 37 inch lcd my parents just bought... it could just be me but I seriously saw no difference.

Xbox 360 is hooked up through vga and just looks fantastic... I bought the tv as a gaming monitor and could not be happier with it. Now I can frag on all the sweet holiday games in style... here i come TF2, H3, COD4 and many more.

DVD through the xbox 360 looked great on the upscaling but there were black bars on the side of the screen... because I was with the girlfriend I didnt fuss with the xbox settings and try a higher resolution and just dealt with it... still looked great and upscaled though.

The build of this tv however is just atrocious... ugliest remote ive ever seen, speakers are pretty bad but work for my limited gaming and movie watching, build of the tv itself just seems cheap.

Inputs are excellent and they have anything you could want and even 2 hdmi inputs where the frys website had only listed 1. Seriously my setup isnt huge but I can hook everything i need up and still have plenty of space for future av purchases.

guess thats it for now... all in all its a great buy for 400 if ur looking for a solid bedroom tv or gaming monitor but dont expect to impress anybody with the poor build and sound.

If anyone has questions just post and i'll try to answer... and again sorry im not a pro but i hope this helps someone.

The vertical viewing angle on the screen isn't anywhere near the 170 degrees they claim. I'd say it's closer to 100 before the picture starts to get darker and the colors wash out.

Just curious, GeneralJenkins, but what display settings are you using on your 360? I'm running mine at 1280x768, widescreen, with Expanded reference levels.

im running the 720 setting... not sure what the first number is. im gonna try that setting that u had. also what are the expanded reference levels?

I bought a Olevia 27" LCD HDTV a while back. It's very YMMV but... it's the same price and it has a much better contrast ratio.

I'd still hop on this deal though, a 32" for 400 is hard to come by, and if it really does have 2 HDMI inputs, that's an amazing perk. I know I could use the extra one to free up VGA for my PC.

if you go cheap on a relatively unknown LCD brand go olevia, preferabbly the 3 version series or higher (and none with a T in it, those are cheap ass store models that aren't the same quality)

all other cheapy LCD brands you get what you pay for, at least olevias (though they have it so you can only use there remote, and there CS isn't the best) you get more than what you pay for picture quality wise...if you lok them up anywhere, there biggest issues tend to be dealing with CS (which is always a hassle with cheaper brands), their locked in use only there remote deal, and sometimes a bad set (which usually they will replace, or if soon enough a local B&M store...if thats where you bought it, will replace it)

yeah. i keep telling myself, "buy next year."

but it never came through.

hopefully i will buy it next year.

LOL!!!!

bread's done
Back