32" Westinghouse LCD HDTV - $522 [DEAD]

PyreStorm

CAG Veteran
Hey all,

Anyone looking into buying a 32" LCD TV should seriously consider the Westinghouse SK-32H240S. I made this post a couple of weeks ago when I got the TV and it appears the deal is back on. I was able to use the 12% off labor day coupon applied to the $580 sale price which took it all the way down to $510.40.

The HDTV is now back on sale for $580:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8250144&type=product&id=1169512290376

You can still apply this 10% off coupon which is good until Sept. 30:

http://www.mommysavesbig.com/printable-coupons/best-buy.pdf

which takes it down to $522.

Xbox America gave a great review of the TV specifically for gamers.

http://www.xboxamerica.com/articles/1004/Westinghouse-SK-32H240S-LCD-TV

I personally availed of the 4 year warranty (additional $100) given the fact that it is a 2nd tier brand and for "ease of mind". With this price, it comes out to $622.

The 32" Vizio is already $599 and for for slightly over than that, you can get the Westinghouse HDTV AND a 4 year warranty!!

Remember to use your rewardzone card (apply now if you havent, its FREE!) since it technically reduces your cost by 2%.

Gears of War has never looked so good......

(let me know if you're also looking into DVD upconverters)

any comments on this deal? i'm interested. I looked at a samsung 32" today at nebraska furniture mart, with a 5 year protection plan it was $1200. it had a 8000:1 contrast ratio but couldn't tell the picture difference between it and another brand but was considering it under the "supervision" of the sales associate i was talking to. does contrast ratio really matter that much? as long as my 360 looks good on it and i can hook a computer up to it is all i really care about, football and baseball games in hd would be nice too. any opinions from hd experinced peeps would be much appreciated!!!

8,000:1 is a dynamic contrast ratio, not the actual contrast ratio.

I bought 32" Envision LCD (they mostly do computer moniters) for $440 (475 after tax). Regular price was $499.99 but I had a 12% off coupon. I think it looks as good as Westinghouse and better than some other brands (ie. Syntax, Olevia). Plus it has a glossy black finish which looks nice.

According to Consumer Reports, its NOT a good idea to purchase a warranty for an LCD--especially anything less than 3 or 4 years. I guess its very uncommon for someone to actually USE the warranty for an LCD HDTV within the first two years of ownership.

Just some things to thing about. Also at this point, just another 10 weeks until black friday. Might be worth saving money and waiting ;)

[quote name='freshzen']8,000:1 is a dynamic contrast ratio, not the actual contrast ratio.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I don't know how many times I've explained that when people get overly hyped about an HDTV having such a high contrast ratio thinking that dynamic CR is the same as the actual CR.

[quote name='freshzen']According to Consumer Reports, its NOT a good idea to purchase a warranty for an LCD--especially anything less than 3 or 4 years. [/quote]

While doing my research on HDTVs, I came across this article that the HDTV veterans were emphasizing regarding "Disposable HDTVs".

http://hdguru.com/?p=107

The basic premise is that any tier 2 or below HDTV will incur repair costs that are equivalent or greater than the original purchase cost when TV failure has occured "out of warranty".... (hence the disposable HDTV).

I've checked the reviews of all the TVs I was interested in (mainly tier 2) and there is always an instance that one or two people (out of 10) experiencing a breakdown/failure of some sort which definitely escalated their costs.

So is consumer reports confident that "all" HDTVs are stable and will "not" fail in 4 years, or the peace of mind provided by a $25/year in-store warranty worth it?

I've never paid attention to contrast ratio numbers when buying a TV. Go to the store, tweak them, and look at the picture.

I own a Samsung LCD right now but I briefly owned a Westinghouse in the past. The picture quality of the Samsung walks all over the Westinghouse.

well I went ahead and bought it and I'm very happy with it so far. Madden looked great and normal sd channels look quite good as well. HD will be tested in a few days. I got this with tax, 4 year warranty and 10% off coupon for $568. On top of that not so bad price, a guy from craigslist sold me 2 $100 bb gift cards for $140, so the deal was even better for me.

[quote name='rdwd39']well I went ahead and bought it and I'm very happy with it so far. I got this with tax, 4 year warranty and 10% off coupon for $568. [/quote]

Thats a great price! I hope you also used your RewardZone card cuz your purchase would have brought you $10 worth of certificates.

I've had the TV for a week and am very happy with it. Along with the 360, the TV is also connected to cable and a DVD upconverter I recently purchased. Can't upgrade to either HD-DVD or Bluray yet since there is no clear winner (and the players are pretty expensive).

I have some recommendations regarding DVD upconverters of you're interested.

New lowered price for the Westinghouse SK-32H240S. I've updated my original post which results in a final cost of $495!!

contrast ratio does make a difference. im on my samsung 931BF (2000:1 DCR) and wen i play games on my calibrated settings its insanely dark. i change my preset to dynamic contrast and BAM i can see almost everything that was not visible before.

Hey!
Came across this thread when googling on this model. I just picked it up (Canada's Boxing Day) for $499 + taxes, came up to $570 and I love this thing.

The reason I was searching was to find some good calibration settings for this thing. Can anyone who has thie TV be kind enough to let me know what settings they're currently using for best picture? I found a CNET review online with some settings, but they're numbers seem to go to 100, where as my numbers go to 50. These numbers I speak of are the values for the various settings such as brightness, backlight, contrast, etc...

Also, can anyone confirm to me that standard definition looks a bit noisy? I don't have HD, and just have the regular wall cable coming into my TV for this. Some of the channels look noisy, and even worse than my old 27" crt tube. I was told that this is normal because the TV is basically trying to get better quality out of each pixel and its basically zooming in on them which gives it that noisy look.

Thanks to anyone that can help....I sure hope someone looks at this thread! Thanks again!

Glad you are enjoying the TV! I'm not home now (visiting parents for the holidays) but the OP told me to use a calibration tool that is packed in with The Incredibles DVD. Not sure if you have that or not, but that really made a huge difference. When I play my 360 on it, I just have it set to automatically switch to the Video Game preset and it looks fantastic.

As far as the SD channels, I think that the guy told you correct. I have SD and HD provided through a digital cable box running through hdmi and the HD channels look spotless and vivid, but the SD channels are pretty grainy most of the time, not to mention not in 16x9 format, which annoys me. So, I pretty much have stuck to watching the HD channels. I know this isn't a solution for you by any means, but at least you know that you aren't alone anymore :)

[quote name='rdwd39']Glad you are enjoying the TV! I'm not home now (visiting parents for the holidays) but the OP told me to use a calibration tool that is packed in with The Incredibles DVD. Not sure if you have that or not, but that really made a huge difference. When I play my 360 on it, I just have it set to automatically switch to the Video Game preset and it looks fantastic.

As far as the SD channels, I think that the guy told you correct. I have SD and HD provided through a digital cable box running through hdmi and the HD channels look spotless and vivid, but the SD channels are pretty grainy most of the time, not to mention not in 16x9 format, which annoys me. So, I pretty much have stuck to watching the HD channels. I know this isn't a solution for you by any means, but at least you know that you aren't alone anymore :)[/quote]
Awesome. Thanks a lot!!! That really eases my mind a bit regarding the SD picture quality hehe. I will probably end up subscribing to HD though soon because this is getting a bit annoying hehe. Maybe someone else can confirm this that uses Standard Def as well?

As for the settings, maybe once you get back home, and if you don't mind, it's entirely up to you, do you think you could maybe post your settings that you use for this TV with regular watching as well as gaming? By the way, you mention that you set it to the Video Game preset? Is this something that you can customize? Because I don't really have any kind of preset option that I can create my own custom presets and save them individually. Thanks again!

Heading to the states in a bit to do some shopping hehe, so I'll be back either later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

EDIT: Almost forgot to add, I don't have a disney/pixar dvd with me right now, but I can definitely pick one up soon. I heard about this calibration feature as well when doing a bit more reading. I'm thining of picking up that Digital Video Essentials calibration DVD, but I'll check if this can help first.

Thanks guys!

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Pfft the 1080p 42 inch is under $900 at BB with the 10% off coupon.[/quote]

Hehe, thanks for the input. But 42" might be a little too big for some, such as me as it was purchased as a bedroom TV.

BUMP....anyone?

bread's done
Back