320GB PS3 is really 260GB?

darrenaero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I know that you never really get the full capacity that is advertised on the box, but I just got the Uncharted 320GB and it says 262GB free space of 290GB. Do these models come with a lot of preinstalled stuff? I can't seem to find it if they do. Not that I need even the 290, but why the hell is such a huge chunk of space unavailable from the get go? It was like 13GB unavailable when I had the 80GB model if memory serves.

that does seem like a big chunk I got a 250 GB and I think my total space is like 232 GB not sure tho I'll have to check my PS3 when I get a chance

[quote name='darrenaero']I know that you never really get the full capacity that is advertised on the box, but I just got the Uncharted 320GB and it says 262GB free space of 290GB. Do these models come with a lot of preinstalled stuff? I can't seem to find it if they do. Not that I need even the 290, but why the hell is such a huge chunk of space unavailable from the get go? It was like 13GB unavailable when I had the 80GB model if memory serves.[/QUOTE]
Storage space is slightly different across different operating systems and while it's technically 320, in practice it always comes out under. The PS3 also reserves like 10% for it's self regardless of what size you throw in there.

My brand new 320gb is showing a max space of 298gb which is normal.

But only 261/298gb is useable and I only have 1 or 2 gb of stuff that I have just downloaded.

That means the system os is using up a massive 30+ gb of storage... that is insane.

Yeah, I was aware of this with my 160GB. Been thinking about upgrading to a larger hard drive. What is the largest these days, 500-750GB?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Yeah, I was aware of this with my 160GB. Been thinking about upgrading to a larger hard drive. What is the largest these days, 500-750GB?[/QUOTE]

from newegg for 5400rpm drives which i think is the same speed as whats in the PS3.
750gb 99dollars or 7200speed for 150
1TB 130dollars.

bread's done
Back