360 Backwards Compatibility Thread - Updated 3/30

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
What claims to work, but hardly does? What do want to work? And Live Downloads will all be discussed in this thread.

Mini FAQ:

Q: What happens when I put a game in my 360 that isn't on the compatibility list? Will it play? A: Unless the title is on the list, the 360 will NOT play it.

Q: Where can I find the compatibility list?
A: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Q: I don't have LIVE, but I want to play my old games. Where can I go?
A: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm
Your option are to burn a CD, or purchase a disk from Microsoft starting in Dec. 2005.

Q: What's the latest version of the BC software?
A: 1.2. Some of the Tom Clancy games have been added. Hoo-rah!

Q: Do all games run perfectly?
A: No, some (As in Freedom Fighters) barely work at all. Many are reporting gliches with the BC function. I would keep you original XBOX system if you have a large number of titles.

Well after a three month wait...is everyone ready, three new games have been added to the list, Black, Star Wars Battefront II, and Winning Eleven 9. A few other titles have been updated to run better, including:

Darkwatch
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Half-Life 2
Fable
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Forza Motorsport
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
SSX 3
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
kill.switch
World Series Baseball 2K3

First up, SSX 3, cause it's better than SSX on Tour, EA's latest game.

I always loved this game, but the framerate drop in Midcity drove me nuts. The fluidity would disappear in a section of the level, then magically return. So I tried the game on the 360, praying the BC gods would fix the game.

Turns out, the game plays decently, but occasionally, when pulling a trick, the game pauses for a microsecond. Now, the framerate seems more inconsistant; and jumps around wildly. The above patch of slowdown is less noticible, but there are other problems. Now the game 'hiccups'; replaying music when doing a particually fancy trick.

Emulation score of SSX 3- 6/10

Ninja Gaiden Black slows down when 2 or more enemies are on the screen. it's sad to see it in such a crippled state.

Mortal Kombat Deception has all kinds of weird graphics issues during fights. A bunch of multi-colored polygons will suddenly appear.

The bonus content disc for Jade Empire Limited Edition is not supported, so you can't use the extra character when playing Jade Empire.

Half-Life 2 seems to run fine though and I haven't seen any problems yet.

The bonus disc for Mortal Kombat: Deception works! The original MK plays fine.

Super Monkey Ball also plays perfectly, at least the minigames do.

gah, i am ebaying my old xbox help pay for a 360, but still want to play ninja gaiden black and fable: lost chapters.

hopefully microsoft is working on getting these to run ok.

[quote name='Apossum']Ninja Gaiden Black slows down when 2 or more enemies are on the screen. it's sad to see it in such a crippled state.[/QUOTE]

Odd, the original Ninja Gaiden seems to work fine except during shader intensive boss battles. I played through the first level and there was no slowdown even with 5 or 6 enemies on the screen.

I was playing Half Life 2 on the 360, had a bunch of white snow things around the screen that would flicker on and off. Frame rate dropped bad but the worst part was whenever I would drive that boat thing everything I would hit the wall instead of hitting the wall I would fall right though the level, plunging all the way down while I could see the level design from so feet away. Every freakin time it hit the wall. Also when I would hit objects they would just fly into the ground, like their was no gravity.

I haven't played HL2 on my xbox but I just popped it into my 360 and the frame rate seemed terrible? is this normal anyways or is it just on the 360?

[quote name='takingchase']I haven't played HL2 on my xbox but I just popped it into my 360 and the frame rate seemed terrible? is this normal anyways or is it just on the 360?[/QUOTE]

I played it back to back on the Xbox and the X360 and the framerate is not very good on either system. I still enjoy the game though.

Was playing Halo 2 and noticed a few bits of slowdown that I know weren't originally there, going to have to try more games to see what else has changed. Guess i'm keeping my xbox after all if Ninja Gaiden Black is pratically crippled.

My question would have to be: Why the hell would Microsoft make a big deal out of having 200 BC games when at least a handful (and notably people's favorties) don't even work correctly. This seems like it would leave a worse taste in people's mouths than just having a sparse BC list off the bat.

I can't get my communicator to work in Halo 2 online play.

Forza FMV in the intro skips.

It's weird, some people have problems and others don't on the same game. Could HW inconsistencies in manufacturing be to blame?

Jeremy

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']My question would have to be: Why the hell would Microsoft make a big deal out of having 200 BC games when at least a handful (and notably people's favorties) don't even work correctly. This seems like it would leave a worse taste in people's mouths than just having a sparse BC list off the bat.[/QUOTE]
All the more reason why I'm keeping my Xbox warrantied until early 2008.

I am keeping my original xbox as well. However I have a Thompson drive so I know I have a ticking time bomb. Last night was the first time I had a disk dirty or damaged error and it was on the new Xbox Magazine Demo disk #52. I eventually got it to work but is it just my system or does the Battlefield 2 demo take like 3 minutes to load?

[quote name='Purkeynator']I am keeping my original xbox as well. However I have a Thompson drive so I know I have a ticking time bomb. Last night was the first time I had a disk dirty or damaged error and it was on the new Xbox Magazine Demo disk #52. I eventually got it to work but is it just my system or does the Battlefield 2 demo take like 3 minutes to load?[/QUOTE]
My previous Xbox was a Thompson, though the current one I have is a Samsung and has been running OK. It's under 90-day warranty until January 30th, and I'm going to get the 2 year warranty on it to keep it alive until early 2008.

I know when I put the BF2 demo that EA was giving out at BB, it did take a while to load up, though maybe not 3 minutes for me.

Plug-and-unplug your communicator in Halo 2 and it should work. H2 and Crimson Skies seemed perfectly emulated to me. I certainly hope they step up the BC patch releases.

I remember hearing some talk about the controller's face buttons not being pressure sensative, which would affect backwards compatibility of some games. How'd it turn out?

[quote name='evilmax17']I remember hearing some talk about the controller's face buttons not being pressure sensative, which would affect backwards compatibility of some games. How'd it turn out?[/QUOTE]

Well, the only game that I can really remember the pressure sensitive buttons being an important part of gameplay was Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. Unfortunately, that game isn't currently backwards compatible.

[quote name='shipwreck']Well, the only game that I can really remember the pressure sensitive buttons being an important part of gameplay was Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. Unfortunately, that game isn't currently backwards compatible.[/QUOTE]
Which I don't think it ever will be.

Though if it gets the 720p graphical upgrade, whoa. :shock: :drool:

Sad to hear the emulation is not up to snuff. I'm only keeping my Xbox because of all the DDR songs I purchased. Hopefully, DDR will be compatible soon, and hopefully, somebody creates a way for us to move bought content from the Xbox to the 360.

It was hard to sit and play Fable (graphics-wise) but it felt like it ran smoother than with the normal Xbox. And Halo 2 does not look one bit different to me, even after sitting through an entire level.

Here's a 'funny' one.

Freedom Fighters - This one is unplayable. While playing on the xbox, the first enemy in the hallway will attack you. When playing on the 360, the enemy just stands there, attacking him does nothing. Without him being killed the game ends in the hallway.

Great testing Microsoft.

Without pressure senstive buttons what happens in games with a jump feature? You either just soar or you don't jump at all? Presure senstive jumping can be crucial in some platformers.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I am keeping my original xbox as well. However I have a Thompson drive so I know I have a ticking time bomb. Last night was the first time I had a disk dirty or damaged error and it was on the new Xbox Magazine Demo disk #52. I eventually got it to work but is it just my system or does the Battlefield 2 demo take like 3 minutes to load?[/QUOTE]

I got an xbox about 2 months after launch with a Thompson drive, and it's still running. The only game it wouldn't play was Soldier of Fortune II, so no big miss. The OXM discs are the most likely to not work though, cause they're cheaply produced. The disc boiling trick has worked for me every time that's happened though.

Tried a little Halo 2 and a little Ninja Gaiden today. Both looked beautiful in HD and ran perfectly. Gotta go find some wood to knock on now....

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Without pressure senstive buttons what happens in games with a jump feature? You either just soar or you don't jump at all? Presure senstive jumping can be crucial in some platformers.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone even confirmed this? Seems weird to me, but I've only been playing PGR3, PDZ, and a couple of arcade games - none of which would have anything pressure sensitive...

[quote name='shipwreck']Well, the only game that I can really remember the pressure sensitive buttons being an important part of gameplay was Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. Unfortunately, that game isn't currently backwards compatible.[/QUOTE]
That shouldn't be too much a problem, seeing as though that game wasn't as much a good game as it was something to watch. If your deadset on playing DOAXBV, then why not wait it out till the sequel...for the 360
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/717/717325.html

I tried Ninja Gaiden...Here's what I found...

The game seemed to have sporatic slowdown for no rhyme or reason. One example. early in the game, after going outside along the walkways, you approach a room with no enemies. There is a hole in the floor to drop down into.

As soon as you approach the room, the game slows to about half speed. What's incredible is that there are no enemies around...

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']After having my 360 for a little more than a week, I don't give a fuck about backwards compatibility now.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, you were always critical of those that were concerned about it in the first place. So I don't think your opinion on the subject really changed any.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']After having my 360 for a little more than a week, I don't give a fuck about backwards compatibility now.[/QUOTE]

I kind of tend to agree. I've been way too busy playing PD0 and PGR3 to touch anything else.

Yeah, I don't care either....except I traded someone for Blitz The League, and now I cannot play it. I may just trade it in anyways, I traded a $20 title for it, so I MIGHT get that much back hopefully :)

Forza seemed to work fine for me (even playing live against a friend on an old xbox). I did notice some dropped frames on the maple valley course, but many others seemed fine.

Ghost recon on the other hand was awful. The game itself seemed okay, but the audio was fubar. The voice of my friend on live was only coming out of my subwoofer. Couldn't understand a thing he said.

Rainbow Six Three was very playable. The only oddity there was that the game was in 4:3 mode, with no way to change it. Played a large selection of maps.

--nw

[quote name='bil4ltool']Shit was popping up on my screen yesterday while playing Halo 2 on live. It was extemely annoying.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me last night. I could read a somewhat transparent large letters that said "XBOX LIVE SIGN IN". Plus almost all of the games kept getting the player failed to load map messages.

They're better be some serious patches coming soon.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I kind of tend to agree. I've been way too busy playing PD0 and PGR3 to touch anything else.[/QUOTE]

This is the atttitude that concerns me...I have a feeling MS will just assume "no one cares anymore" and we'll be stuck with like version 1.2 of the BC patch for the console's lifetime.

Yet another thing drives me away from getting a 360 anytime soon.

I think MS is holding back. Back when the first viral ads started, they showed a snippet of a guy playing MX vs. ATV on the 360, yet that game isn't compatible...

That would make sense, if you want people to go cough up cash for new games limit the amount of old ones they can play. Guess that would explain why some super obscure games made the list first. Was surprised to see Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit on the list, reminded me I never beat it.

[quote name='coolsteel']That would make sense, if you want people to go cough up cash for new games limit the amount of old ones they can play. Guess that would explain why some super obscure games made the list first. Was surprised to see Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit on the list, reminded me I never beat it.[/QUOTE]

No that;s not why obscure ones made the list. The official word for MS told us that some of the 'shittier' or more obscure games had a very similar graphics system to somethig they were making BC anyway so it wasn't hard to do both.

I've tried four games so far.

1. Halo 2

The game, for me, seems to run a bit smoother. Halo 2 was always smooth to begin with but it seemed even more smoother this time. The load times seemed much faster as well.

2. Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

I popped this in mostly to jam to the tunes on it's soundtrack. I already beat it on Xbox. Though to my suprise it actually ran a bit worse. I might trade this in and rebuy it for 360 when it drops in price.

3. Half-Life 2

The framerate seemed even worse than on the Xbox, the FMV videos in the beginning flickered a lot. The game looked better to me though. Still, making a bad framerate even worse turns me off big time. I'll stick with this on the normal Xbox.

4. Call of the Cthulhu

I haven't played this on Xbox yet since I just rented it today, but so far on the 360 it runs pretty smooth with no errors or anything. I'm not sure if the framerate is any better on Xbox (and I doubt I'll find out since it has a loooonnng cache loading time) but it's definitely not bad on 360 at all. I might have to buy this soon, I'm really enjoying it.

This has probably been adressed before, but I haven't been keeping up on the news: Is there any way yet to transfer Xbox game saves over to the 360? BC seems nice but if it means losing your game progress on games, it doesn't really make much sense to me.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']This has probably been adressed before, but I haven't been keeping up on the news: Is there any way yet to transfer Xbox game saves over to the 360? BC seems nice but if it means losing your game progress on games, it doesn't really make much sense to me.[/QUOTE]

I think Microsoft said that you pretty much wouldnt be able to do this.

bread's done
Back