360 Controller Problem

Domino427

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I just got my 360 today...the one I ordered off eBay (mentioned in an earlier thread).

Well, I'm trying to set it up, and no matter what batteries I put in this controller, it won't work.

I tried to sync it with the system, but it just spins around, then goes back to flashing the full ring on the controller (all 4 sectors). Brand new Panasonic Digital batteries and everything. Any clue what's going on?

[quote name='depascal22']Sounds like you got a bum controller. Any way you can try some one else's?[/quote]

Nope...don't know anyone around w/one. Just my buddies back at school.

[quote name='depascal22']You can always buy one at Circuit City and ahem use their liberal return policy.[/quote]

Would, but i've got no cash until Friday. I wanna play now! lol

yeah, just buy a new one and swap it out. when i got a 360, the A button always got stuck. i just swapped it. no need having to return the whole damn system just for a controller.

Did you try a combination of pressing the controller sync button with the console sync button? when I first got my 360 I had to press them each randomly a few times to get them to work together.

[quote name='Surferflames']Did you try a combination of pressing the controller sync button with the console sync button? when I first got my 360 I had to press them each randomly a few times to get them to work together.[/quote]

Yeah. I'm gonna mess with it some more when I get home from work tonight...but that doesn't seem to work.

Well, called MS. No help. Dude made me try to sync it again, didnt work (as expected). Then, after asking if I had any friends w/a system, and being told that only those who live out of state own one, he told me I had to test my controller on another system before they could do anymore.

Shit---I've got a $350 paperweight right now. I dono what to do...cuz I can't even afford another controller right now...I'm BROKE!

I had similar trouble because I wasn't syncing it correctly. Are you doing it in this order?

1) make sure both controller and console is off.
2) Turn on Xbox 360
3) Turn on controller
4) Press sync button on Xbox 360 first.
5) Press sync button on controller.

This should work. I've found if you do it differently, it doesn't connect.

Can you afford a plug and play kit? I've seen the third party ones selling for ten bucks or less. That would wire the controller into the console, no need to sync.

[quote name='GamerChris']I had similar trouble because I wasn't syncing it correctly. Are you doing it in this order?

1) make sure both controller and console is off.
2) Turn on Xbox 360
3) Turn on controller
4) Press sync button on Xbox 360 first.
5) Press sync button on controller.

This should work. I've found if you do it differently, it doesn't connect.[/quote]

That's what I've been doing. Thanks tho.

[quote name='Cryptosporidium-399']Can you afford a plug and play kit? I've seen the third party ones selling for ten bucks or less. That would wire the controller into the console, no need to sync.[/quote]

From what I've read in other forums, that doesn't eliminate the need to sync it...that connection doesn't simply make it wired, rather it charges the battery and still is read as wireless.

[quote name='Domino427']From what I've read in other forums, that doesn't eliminate the need to sync it...that connection doesn't simply make it wired, rather it charges the battery and still is read as wireless.[/quote]

Ah, well then, that was some awful advise. Sorry....

[quote name='Cryptosporidium-399']Ah, well then, that was some awful advise. Sorry....[/quote]

You're actually right, though. Having the play and charge kit wire connected to a wireless controller makes the controller directly connected to the 360, not through a wireless connection. I know this because, if you plug in a play and charge wire to the 360 when connected to a controller it recognizes it immediately, and you can even take the battery out and play with just the wire attached.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']You're actually right, though. Having the play and charge kit wire connected to a wireless controller makes the controller directly connected to the 360, not through a wireless connection. I know this because, if you plug in a play and charge wire to the 360 when connected to a controller it recognizes it immediately, and you can even take the battery out and play with just the wire attached.[/quote]

Ah, well then, that was some terrific advise. You should really look into that, Domino427...

Guess I should. Come to think of it, I knew that, too. My buddy has done that before.

Where abouts have you seen these 3rd-party ones so cheap?

So the guy gave me $50 and took the controller back.

I got a new (used) one off ebay. Same friggin problem.

Any clue what's the problem? I unplugged the cordless phone in the neighboring room, turned off my cell, and unplugged my external HD. Still nothing.

Hooked it up at my grandparents house...same shit.

I've got no idea what's goin on!

[quote name='Domino427']So the guy gave me $50 and took the controller back.

I got a new (used) one off ebay. Same friggin problem.

Any clue what's the problem? I unplugged the cordless phone in the neighboring room, turned off my cell, and unplugged my external HD. Still nothing.

Hooked it up at my grandparents house...same shit.

I've got no idea what's goin on![/quote]

Did you try the play and charge wire, once it knows the controller knows which 360 to go to, there should be no problem.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']Did you try the play and charge wire, once it knows the controller knows which 360 to go to, there should be no problem.[/quote]

No...I don't have one. I'll have to see about picking one up.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']You're actually right, though. Having the play and charge kit wire connected to a wireless controller makes the controller directly connected to the 360, not through a wireless connection. I know this because, if you plug in a play and charge wire to the 360 when connected to a controller it recognizes it immediately, and you can even take the battery out and play with just the wire attached.[/quote]

Actually, you are wrong. The Plug and Play cord is strictly a power transfer device and has no components for data transfer. Data is still transmitted through the wireless channel.

I know this because it says so right in the manual for the Play and Charge kit. :roll:

Play While You Charge

You can continue to use your controller to play on your Xbox 360 console while the battery pack charges. While connected to the charge cable, your controller will continue to use wireless signals for gameplay.
During play, the controller draws battery power to deliver vibration feedback. The status light may alternate between red and green as it uses battery power and then recharges itself.
Please note that very depleted rechargeable battery packs can take up to 20 minutes to charge enough to power a controller for use with the Play & Charge Kit.

i see what you are saying, but what they are saying also works. it may not actually communicate, but something about plugging in the play and charge cable in to the controller makes it sync with no problem. it's worked for me. so, maybe it's just magic.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Actually, you are wrong. The Plug and Play cord is strictly a power transfer device and has no components for data transfer. Data is still transmitted through the wireless channel.

I know this because it says so right in the manual for the Play and Charge kit. :roll:
[/quote]
Pfft... who reads manuals, anyway?:roll:

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Play While You Charge

You can continue to use your controller to play on your Xbox 360 console while the battery pack charges. While connected to the charge cable, your controller will continue to use wireless signals for gameplay.
During play, the controller draws battery power to deliver vibration feedback. The status light may alternate between red and green as it uses battery power and then recharges itself.
Please note that very depleted rechargeable battery packs can take up to 20 minutes to charge enough to power a controller for use with the Play & Charge Kit.[/quote]

Yes that's fine, but how do you explain it working with no battery connected? And when the 360 is on, then you plug in the play and charge wire, it recognizes the wireless controller, even if it isn't on, how is that wireless then?

everytime i have to resync controllers i just use my play and charge kit..... it does the job. now if i could find a better way to sync my fuckin wii controllers it would be nice

[quote name='mrcheapo11']Pfft... who reads manuals, anyway?:roll:

Yes that's fine, but how do you explain it working with no battery connected? And when the 360 is on, then you plug in the play and charge wire, it recognizes the wireless controller, even if it isn't on, how is that wireless then?[/quote]

The same way ANYTHING that has both a battery and an AC adapter works when it doesn't have the battery inserted. It IS getting power from the cord, but the cord does nothing for the wireless signal. And If you have never synced the controller to start with and attached it to a plug and play ... it would not sync and you would not be able to use the controller until you did the wireless sync.

And as you can see from the OPs latest post, the Plug and Play did not help connection. There physically is nothing in the cord that can transmit a data signal. No matter how much you believe it does, the simple fact is that the cord does not contain the wires needed for data transfer.

bread's done
Back