360 ELITE what should I do?

drone8888

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey guys, I just got a 1080p hdtv, but I'm at a standstill on what to do.

My 360 has been going strong for a while now, with no problems. I really don't want the HDD space, and I hate the black scheme. With that said,... I want 1080p.... so what do you think I should do.

Sell my current 360 and buy the ELITE, or wait on some sort of adapter? I was going to just buy a second system for game nights with friends,.... but that rarely happens anymore, and it's too pricey.

Does M$ have any kind of trade in, or upgrade thing going on in the States? Also, I know component handles 1080i.... but not p?? Also, would the VGA cable allow for 1080p, and does it have a digital out on it, for my fiber optic cable?

Let me know.
Thanks
:)

Unless I'm really mistaken, the 360 can output 1080p via Component. You just need software that supports that.

yep, the 360 supports 1080p via component. if your 360 firmware is up to date, then you just need a tv that accepts 1080p signals through the component cable.

Hmmmm,... my manual mentions that, but then what's the hype with the HDMI?? Why would anyone change an entire gaming rig?? Just to save space?

EDIT: OK.... my 360 was running through a selector... so I plugged it right into the back of my hdtv.... still won't let me use 1080p. My 360 has been updated, and has the option for 1080p.... my television supports it,... it just won't deliver. I'm think you are thinking of 1080i that is supported with component.... I was pretty sure myself... but your suggestion, and my hdtv's manual mentions it,... so I tried.

Any suggestions?

Alright, did some research,.... it seems that without the Elite console, there is NO WAY to get 1080p. There was talk in the beginning about the display unit downscaling the picture to 720p, and then upscaling it to 1080i.... even on 1080p enabled HDTV's with either the components or VGA cable, but that has been a failed attempt.

I've also just found out, that because I'm overseas, that I cannot watch trailers, rent movies, or use my credit card on LIVE at all.

M$ can stick it up their arse,.... I'm just going to get a P$3 to spite them. They "F"'d us in the "@", with the Elite console,... and expect us to just sit around twidling our 720p fingers, while the $ony fanboys get the full spectrum. We get the games, so getting the shaft isn't as noticeable.

Real nice guys, real nice.
:(

[quote name='drone8888']M$ can stick it up their arse,.... I'm just going to get a P$3 to spite them. They "F"'d us in the "@", with the Elite console,... and expect us to just sit around twidling our 720p fingers, while the $ony fanboys get the full spectrum. We get the games, so getting the shaft isn't as noticeable.

:([/QUOTE]

12820d1087960642-the_piss_and_moan_thread-no_more_tears.bmp

[quote name='drone8888']M$ can stick it up their arse,.... I'm just going to get a P$3 to spite them. They "F"'d us in the "@", with the Elite console,... and expect us to just sit around twidling our 720p fingers, while the $ony fanboys get the full spectrum. We get the games, so getting the shaft isn't as noticeable.[/QUOTE]
I guess you didn't get the memo.

This is in line with our earlier report, where a development source told Kikizo that, "even with [final hardware] in mind, reaching good frame rates at 1080p with next-gen graphics is almost impossible. Instead many developers, ourselves included, are reworking so they run at 720p. "

Yes the 360 does support 1080P via component, however there are very few TV's that support 1080P over component. This is mainly due to HDCP (copy protection) your TV, will determine your ability to to do 1080P with most TV's that support that resolution over component are actually "monitors" as opposed to TV's. I would wait until the new chips are confirmed to be in the Elites before you bought one though.

[quote name='drone8888']
I've also just found out, that because I'm overseas, that I cannot watch trailers, rent movies, or use my credit card on LIVE at all.
[/quote]Is the address your credit card is linked to in the USA? If so, you should be able to create a USA account and be able to use it. However, you still won't be able to access the video marketplace, unless you can use a proxy that gives you a USA IP address.

Also, I'm guessing that come xmas time, the non-elite 360s will have HDMI outputs. If so, it might be a good time to pick up a Japanese 360. They will be cheaper than their USA counterparts and you will be able to play cheaper Asian region games from Play-Asia (or elsewhere).

[quote name='drone8888']Alright, did some research,.... it seems that without the Elite console, there is NO WAY to get 1080p.

Start finding new places to do research. :speaktothehand:)

You won't be able to play DVDs in 1080p over component. Games will play just fine in 1080p everytime, but only if your display supports it. Many TVs don't. This is more than likely your TV, not the console.

To upscale DVDs to 1080p, you'll need to hook the 360 up via VGA or HDMI.

[quote name='drone8888']Alright, did some research,.... it seems that without the Elite console, there is NO WAY to get 1080p. There was talk in the beginning about the display unit downscaling the picture to 720p, and then upscaling it to 1080i.... even on 1080p enabled HDTV's with either the components or VGA cable, but that has been a failed attempt.

M$ can stick it up their arse,.... I'm just going to get a P$3 to spite them. They "F"'d us in the "@", with the Elite console,... and expect us to just sit around twidling our 720p fingers, while the $ony fanboys get the full spectrum. We get the games, so getting the shaft isn't as noticeable.

Before you get your panties in a bunch you are blaming the wrong group. Have you heard of a group called the MPAA? 1080p over component can be done but the problem is that most TV manufactures don't bother allowing it because it can't be used for anything besides video games, since the MPAA are pricks. About the same thing goes for the overseas marketplace, the MPAA has no problems suing teenage girls so MS has to cover all their bases. 1080p can be done on certain HD monitors/TVs without the elite for games but HD-DVD it will never happen. Your TV may be one that has problems but saying that "there is no way to get 1080p" is an outragous statement and you need to go back to Jr. High and learn how to do proper research then.
Why is it MS gets blamed for everything? My mom has cancer, it is MS fault. My wife caught me getting head from a transvestite prostitute, again MS fault. The iPhone costs $600 *points at MS*.

[quote name='alongx']
12820d1087960642-the_piss_and_moan_thread-no_more_tears.bmp
[/quote]

NO more tears dun dun dun dun dun dun NO MORE TEARS dun dun dun dun dun dun.....ohhh Ozzy you so cwazy

I was going off of eNgadget.com's info.... and yeah, I read about my set possibly being the problem... but the other articles were talking about 1080p not being capable without the HDMI cable, and that the VGA cable didn't support the proper frequencies, and only a handful of sets would actually accept it.
I wasn't really going for the bash M$ thread,... but I just shelled out about $3200 on getting this stuff set up, and when I found out I couldn't I got drunk and posted. LOL

I usually don't ask too many questions, as I'll do ridiculous amounts of research before I buy something. I just wanted an opinion, after I freaked out is all. :)

Yeah Cheapy, my account is tied into an American bank, it just sucks... as I can use Nintendo's VC, and the actual internet to watch previews.... I'd just like to see them in HD, like I paid for.
As for using a proxy,... I'm hack-tarded, and wouldn't know where to begin. I guess I'll search on that in a bit, when I sober up.
LOL

:)
Thanks, and sorry for sounding like an asshat.

[quote name='pete5883']I guess you didn't get the memo.[/quote]Unless you only mean 360, PS3 says hi.

You can get component to do 1080p, HOPEFULLY, your TV supports that.
If not you can at least get 1080i upscale.

The "hype" with HDMI is that it's a 100% perfect digital picture, and one cable carries both the video and high resolution audio.

[quote name='pete5883']1 game? Impressive.[/quote]
I'd say 75% of PS3 games are 1080p.
Don't speak of things you don't know about.

[quote name='dallow']I'd say 75% of PS3 games are 1080p.
Don't speak of things you don't know about.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a List or 1080P games? Or is this pulling random numbers out of ass day?

[quote name='spoo']Do you have a List or 1080P games? Or is this pulling random numbers out of ass day?[/quote]
It's not.
I'm sure there's a list out there.
Most games are 1080p.

If you don't believe me, go to a game store and look at the back of each box.
Seriously. I'm not here to spew crap.

EDIT:
I'll add that the most impressive looking game at 1080p is Lair currently.
I'm actually surprised it's not 720p which is what I was expecting. I guess detail doesn't always have to be sacrificed.

[quote name='dallow']It's not.
I'm sure there's a list out there.
Most games are 1080p.

If you don't believe me, go to a game store and look at the back of each box.
Seriously. I'm not here to spew crap.

EDIT:
I'll add that the most impressive looking game at 1080p is Lair currently.
I'm actually surprised it's not 720p which is what I was expecting. I guess detail doesn't always have to be sacrificed.[/QUOTE]

LMAO that just means they support 1080p displays (usually by scalling) not that they internally render it at 1080p. It could mean that they do but in most cases its the contrary.

I'm not counting the ones that upscale to 1080p, only the ones that actually render in 1080p.

And yes, I know the difference, and I know which titles do and do not from reading various AVS forums.

I'm not a bullshitter, I read.
The 360 has two games that I know of that also render in 1080p. It's not impossible.

And I expect more 360 games in the future to do so.

(what i really want is the Wii to output a few games at 720p)

50 points to the first person to point out 5 retail games (with reference links, and only games that are out now) that are rendered in 1080p on the PS3. There's a few for the 360, but I haven't seen any for the PS3 yet.

BTW, my 360 was hooked up via component and 1080p worked perfectly on my Westinghouse LVM-42W2. It's now using VGA, so the DVD's are upscaled, and I may end up getting an Elite if the price drops to $400 anyway.

[quote name='Omatsei']50 points to the first person to point out 5 retail games (with reference links, and only games that are out now) that are rendered in 1080p on the PS3. There's a few for the 360, but I haven't seen any for the PS3 yet.

BTW, my 360 was hooked up via component and 1080p worked perfectly on my Westinghouse LVM-42W2. It's now using VGA, so the DVD's are upscaled, and I may end up getting an Elite if the price drops to $400 anyway.[/quote]You should start a thread about this in the PS3 board.
I'm sure they can pull up a list.

I'm busy with E3 news to do it for you.

I do know this, most sports games are native 1080p (NBA 07, NHL something)

On 360 I believe Virtua Tennis 3 was the first native 1080p game, and I can't recall now which other one is as well.

bread's done
Back