360 Fails to Start (Somtimes...)

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
I work night shifts at a group home and have about 8-9 hours where I don't have to do anything, so I bring in my 360 to pass the time.

I've noticed that whenever I set it up, it doesn't always start-up properly. It will start, but nothing will happen. No start-up sequence or anything. And every once in a while I'll get the E74/one red light error. I should probably be super worried about that, but once it does start up (it always has after about 4-5 tries), then there are no other problems turning it on/off (as long it stays plugged in).

Another thing I've noticed when my 360 fails to start, is when I turn it off to try again, there's a very loud CLICK (which I'm pretty sure is coming from my hard drive).

So is my 360 pretty much dying? Should I be looking to replace it?

It's an old style console? Would it still be covered by the RRoD three year warranty? If so, you might consider forcing it to Red-ring. At least then you'd be able to get another console.

[quote name='Rig']It's an old style console? Would it still be covered by the RRoD three year warranty? If so, you might consider forcing it to Red-ring. At least then you'd be able to get another console.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's an old-style (non-slim). I got it just over two years ago, so it would still be covered under the warranty. It'd be nice to get it replaced, but I've only heard bad things about Microsoft's turn-around time on console repairs. I'd almost rather not force the red-ring until after all these new releases are out.

Don't force it to red ring, my old 360 E74'd out and they told me it was covered by my warranty. Of course, for some reason my three year warranty expired after 18 months, but that's beside the point. It would never restart though, I got the one E74 and it was history.

But first you should take off the hard drive and see how it runs then. If there's a hard drive error it'll light up and play dead.

bread's done
Back