360 game case causes defect

popemogoth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
This has happened with Halo 3, Madden 08, and now Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008. The center point of the game case (The circle holder thingy) tends to put up a fight every time I try to take my game out. Thus leading to pushing down on the center and slightly bending the disc to let the cd loose. The exterior is fine with no scratches but it now creates an internal crack therefore the game will not read anymore on the Xbox 360. I wonder if this is a massive problem or it's just me. If anyone has experienced this problem what do you suggest?

I agree that compared to a normal DVD case, the 360 case is a little "clingy." Sorry if it sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but you want to be applying more pressure to the game case and less to the disc. So push down quite hard on the center button and it should release the disc.

[quote name='popemogoth']This has happened with Halo 3, Madden 08, and now Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008. The center point of the game case (The circle holder thingy) tends to put up a fight every time I try to take my game out. Thus leading to pushing down on the center and slightly bending the disc to let the cd loose. The exterior is fine with no scratches but it now creates an internal crack therefore the game will not read anymore on the Xbox 360. I wonder if this is a massive problem or it's just me. If anyone has experienced this problem what do you suggest?[/quote]

Are you 100% positive it's being damaged by the case? My disks were cracking for a while too, and I thought it was the cases; then I found out it was actually the 360. They have been known to do that.

I'll check all my cases to see, but I haven't had any problems like this yet.

Edit - All my cases open up fine. Try pressing down on the middle with your index finger and lifting the disc up very lightly with your thumb. That's how I take my games out and never had a problem with it.

I switch around games all the time. Own Blue Dragon/ LO which seem to cause problems with messing up disc ( Some say ). I think people just dont know how to properly remove a disc and take care of there games : /

[quote name='help1']Never had this problem...[/quote]

Yes, same here, in regards to games cracking. I figure it would be obvious to apply more pressure to the case (less value) than the disc (more value). As if one retards the function of their case, it shouldn't matter too much, as, after all, it is just a case.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Are you 100% positive it's being damaged by the case? My disks were cracking for a while too, and I thought it was the cases; then I found out it was actually the 360. They have been known to do that.[/quote]

I'm not sure but it could be who knows.

[quote name='dfo']I agree that compared to a normal DVD case, the 360 case is a little "clingy." Sorry if it sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but you want to be applying more pressure to the game case and less to the disc. So push down quite hard on the center button and it should release the disc.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinkin. Even the button on the orginal Xbox and Ps2 is less clingy. Releasing a game from the button doesn't require skill so I assume people don't actually sit there and try to remove it all slowly. Most of the time it's just punch and go. Someone suggested calling Microsoft and possibly getting a refund for non-ms games. Can I do it without a receipt or what not?

I've never had any problems like that...the discs can bend quite a bit before they crack...I've seen discs bend quite a bit to get them out and nothing has ever happened...

Place the case on a flat surface and push down on the center "button", use your second hand to lift the disc out without any resistance.

Do this as opposed to the "Use two hands to separate the disc from case like an Oreo in mid-air" and you will have no issue.

Despite its coolness factor and likelihood of getting you laid, the "one-handed thumb push down button index flinger lift up edge of disc" method often leads to damaged discs and you playing with yourself at the end of the night (on the XBox)

CAGs, Practice Safe Disc Removal.

HotShotX Tested. HotShotX Approved.

~HotShotX

I've seen three different types of cases used with 360 games, two of them made by Carthuplas (don't know who makes the other type). They make single and multi-disc cases (Assassin's Creed uses one, as well as Lost Odyssey). One of their cases was also used for Test Drive Unlimited, and that one has a bitch of a clip, unlike any that I've ever seen. The amount of force required to remove the disc was frightening. Pushing on the nub wouldn't work because it wasn't designed to retract the retaining tabs (like the PS2 cases), it would just force the tabs past the disc. You could see the center of the disc flexing severely when doing that. I ended up tossing it and putting the game in an Amaray case.

I just called MS about my situation and told them it's either the game case or the system itself that is cracking my games. I truly dislike Microsoft support and try to solve all my problems prior to calling them. They told me that It would cost me $100 to repair my box and will not compensate me for the 3 cracked games. Oh well I guess I'v had my share of BS related to the Xbox Pee 60. I will now focus my attention on the PS3.

[quote name='HotShotX']Place the case on a flat surface and push down on the center "button", use your second hand to lift the disc out without any resistance.

Do this as opposed to the "Use two hands to separate the disc from case like an Oreo in mid-air" and you will have no issue.

Despite its coolness factor and likelihood of getting you laid, the "one-handed thumb push down button index flinger lift up edge of disc" method often leads to damaged discs and you playing with yourself at the end of the night (on the XBox)

CAGs, Practice Safe Disc Removal.

HotShotX Tested. HotShotX Approved.

~HotShotX[/quote]

I just rip my cases out and often they bend like mad...they're really durable. PS2 games especially are usually put in there pretty tight and I've ended up bending some like 50 degrees easily.

[quote name='Nastrodamous']yeah i hate MS customer support as well[/QUOTE]

i disagree with you guys
microsoft customer service has been good to me (keep in mind i think it was the US center since they spoke great english)

i called in to send in my 360, decided not to send it in and purchased a new one
today i received a call from microsoft asking me if i was going to send in my 360

told them that i bought a new one, also told them that when i changed my gamertag a game that i purchased on xblm was lost during the change of my gamertag

rep transfered me to her supervisor without me even asking to speak to the supervisor
supervisor credited me back my points even though it didnt show up under my download list
very understanding while i explained my situation much better than sony customer support

I don't mean to sound like a prick (though I know I will), but why do you deserve any compensation anyway? You ruined your own discs. If I backed into my mailbox, I wouldn't call up my landlord and expect them to pay for the damages.

Between this and the guy who scratched off the numbers on his Live points card, I just don't get it. Not everything can be chalked up to entitlement...

It's not like purposely ruin the game discs. You think I actually go out and pay $65 for a game just to ruin them? There are mixed feelings about this situation it could be the damn case itself that no one really has picked up on yet or maybe even the system.

Trust me, I wouldn't back into my mailbox on purpose either. It would still be my fault though. Sure, maybe it was the car's fault or the mailbox for jumping in front of me, but more than likely, it would have been me who did it.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']I don't mean to sound like a prick (though I know I will), but why do you deserve any compensation anyway? You ruined your own discs.[/quote]

I believe he called MS on the assumption that his 360 was cracking the disks.

[quote name='popemogoth']They told me that It would cost me $100 to repair my box and will not compensate me for the 3 cracked games.[/quote]

Heh, that reminds me of something a friend did.

His 360 broke, and for some unknown reason, he wasn't getting the three red rings. The guy on the phone said that they would only fix it for free if they saw three red rings. My friend told the guy to hold on; he set down the phone, picked up his 360, and hurled it across the room. Turned it back on and saw three red rings, so he went back to the phone and said "Alright, I see the red lights now."

i ran into this on oblivion, its a small crack in the very center, luckily mine didnt extend into the data and it still plays perfect

I keep getting pounded with problems...i truly believe that it is the xbox that is causing it. My brand new copy of Halo 3 is starting to form that internal crack by the cd holder.

I had this problem with my COD4 case. It's one of those newer cases where there's no pushing button in the middle, instead it's replaced by a large green peg. The first time I tried pulling out the disc, it took me about 2 minutes total trying to figure out how to pull it out. I managed to pull the sides, lifting up the whole disc. To this day there is a small finger scratch on my disc. No problems yet.

I've decided to replace all my 360 cases with standard Amaray black cases. Two games are already in black cases (BD and LO, because I demand proper multi-disc cases) as well as TDU (explained earlier). Throw in a platinum hits version of MUA (grey, yuck) and my game rack is now a menagerie of different colors.

Amaray cases are cheap in bulk quantities, and I should easily make back that and more by ebaying all the green cases I'm going to have. :)

I actually bought a game library. It's a book with sleeves on the inside for the manual and the game. The cases are displays, IMO. This happened to my original WWE SvR 2007. I hate those holders, they cause more harm than good. On top of that, sometimes it falls out of place and gets all scratched up.

You should put them in sleeves or a CD case...

Actually come to think of it the games I play regularly I never put back into the case. I just put them with the laser side up (picture side down) on the case...so I end up never using the cases much anyway.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']I don't mean to sound like a prick (though I know I will), but why do you deserve any compensation anyway? You ruined your own discs. If I backed into my mailbox, I wouldn't call up my landlord and expect them to pay for the damages.

Between this and the guy who scratched off the numbers on his Live points card, I just don't get it. Not everything can be chalked up to entitlement...[/quote]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I agree. I feel it's a new American way of thinking where there's less accountability and responsibility. Blame somebody else and file a lawsuit or complain or protest is the new trend. Is it really the manufacturer's fault that you can't get a disc out without damaging it? Is it really McDonald's fault that you spill hot coffee on yourself and it burns you?

the only game i had a problem with was gta4, i tried to get it out of the case and had to stop because it just wouldn't come out. Just pressed on the center hard and it poped out. All my games but gta were very easy to come out.

[quote name='UCLAevo']I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I agree. I feel it's a new American way of thinking where there's less accountability and responsibility. Blame somebody else and file a lawsuit or complain or protest is the new trend. Is it really the manufacturer's fault that you can't get a disc out without damaging it? Is it really McDonald's fault that you spill hot coffee on yourself and it burns you?[/quote]

If i'm alone on this issue then yes i agree. But i'm not the only one. Can you honestly say your GTA4 wasn't clingy at all?

[quote name='popemogoth']If i'm alone on this issue then yes i agree. But i'm not the only one. Can you honestly say your GTA4 wasn't clingy at all?[/QUOTE]

Mine wasn't. Come to think of it.. I've never had this problem.

I take it all back...so i thought it was my game case. I found out it's my system that caused the cracks and it keeps getting bigger each time I play it until it's unreadable. I'm on the phone with MS right now..they will ask me to send my console for repair but only offer me viva pinata and kameo as a compensation. Pffft!

Look at it this way, if you break "Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008", at least no one can make fun of you anymore for having such a shitty game.

bread's done
Back