360 game disc discoloration (on the bottom of the disc).

abreed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Has anyone else experienced game disc discoloration? If you look at the bottom of the disc in the right light you can tell a color difference in the opaqueness of the disc. If you have burnt CDs and noticed the difference in color on those, that is kind of the same contrast. The discoloration is not uniform, it is blotchy and coming in from the edges. I believe the games play fine (the two are Smackdown 2008 and Bioshock). Anyone have information on what causes this or if it will lead to disc failure?

I have also observed this while cleaning my new discs, using an air duster, before inserting them into the disc tray. It has no impact on gameplay, so I really didn't give it more thought. As far as defects or impacting the lifespan of said discs, I do not know.

[they'll all become xbox originals one-day anyway, LOL!] DL and OD content is the way to go.

It's called disc staining. I can't find an article explaining it (I know it's out there) but it's normal and harmless.

It does seem more prevalent with 360 games though, for whatever reason...

My copy of UFC has the damage shown below. I just got an unopened copy of it today. Which should I trade? I'm leaning toward the used copy since it has this staining.

IMG_0033.jpg

[quote name='seen']My copy of UFC has the damage shown below. I just got an unopened copy of it today. Which should I trade? I'm leaning toward the used copy since it has this staining.

IMG_0033.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I've seen several disc like that. Some of the music cds I bought was that way. I really hate it when they look like that,but it plays fine, and has no issues. Just looks odd.

Seriously? I'm all for finding an unscratched copy of a game, but returning a brand new game because of a harmless spot is ridiculous.

You misunderstood me; I got a free copy of UFC (unopened) in my hands. I have the disk pictured above as well. Which would you keep?

[quote name='Littlefields']You guys know that even new copies occasionally have that right?[/QUOTE]

Is that from personal experience? If it is then you've just answered my question :)

[quote name='seen']Is that from personal experience? If it is then you've just answered my question :)[/QUOTE]

my copy of saints 2 was like that, i bought it brand new on day 1 when it came out, so yes even new games have this problem

My copy of Gears of War 2 and SmackDown 2009 both had it, bought them brand new on day 1 and they work fine.

Good to know that it's harmless though, I've always wondered what it was exactly.

bread's done
Back