360 hooked up to computer monitor?

tbassett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
Looking for some advice and hope this is the right forum.

I have a 360 slim coming in the mail and also need a new computer monitor. With newer monitors having hdmi inputs can i just run the 360 to the monitor with an hdmi cable(my pc cable is dvi)?

I'm guessing sound will be an issue but some have built in speakers. I specifically was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016155

Anybody got any advice? Am I on the right path.

Thanks

I've done this exact same thing for a few years now. Most newer monitors allow you to select the source so plugging the 360 into the HDMI is not problem and can switch back to PC on the DVI. Some monitors will even auto switch to the source when turned on, such as if the 360 is on, but not the PC. This feature on mine is a little glitchy however, inthat I have to turn on the last source to get a response from the monitor in order to switch to a new source.

I even have a HDMI switcher with my PS3 and 360 hooked up to 1 HDMI port on my monitor.

As for sound, I have a fat 360 so I had to use both the composite cables and HDMI where I only used the red/white cables to a separate set of speakers from my PC speakers. You can setup the PC speakers with a switcher between your 360 and PC. I'm positive there's stuff out there for that but you'll need some Y-adapters and I'm not sure how the stereo or surround sound will come out after all those adapters. I didn't since I found a cheap 2.1 setup for both my PS3 and 360 only, and kept my PC speakers also.

Yes you can run the 360 on the monitor with hdmi with your computer hooked up by dvi. Mine is setup like this for 3 years now. The sound can be a issue for some but that could be from how they set it up, mine sound good to me.

Yes u can use hdmi to plug to 360 to your monitor.
I am using viewsonic vx2753mx. It's led and come with decent speakers.
I brought it to connect my ps3 and It is working great for me.
And it's only 30 bucks more than what u thinking to buy.

Btw my monitor also have a source switch(don't know what to call it)
So u can switch between or pc and 360 without turning them off.

Yes, HDMI is HDMI. Any HDMI device, from the 360 to the PS3 to the Wii U, will work just fine. My 360 is hooked up to my computer monitor.

If you want your sound to go to another source, you could use boneless' suggestion, or do what I did and grab one of these from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Audio-...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3a6777caf7

My computer also has speakers, which are terrible, but since a monitor is a lot more portable than a TV, they'll do the trick at a LAN party.

bread's done
Back