360 Konami Classics - $14.99 Amazon

dvdactor

CAGiversary!
For anyone interested, the Konami Classics that were just released for Xbox 360 on December 15th have been marked down on Amazon. While the regular retail is only $20, thought some may be interested in getting on these while they are about a month old.

Volume 1 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Frogger and Super Contra
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002W5GI8Y/666423277-20

Volume 2 - Contra, Track & Field and Rush N' Attack
http://www.amazon.com/Konami-Classi..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1264665761&sr=1-1

thanks for the update, makes them a little more appealing

Still, in this day and age i'd expect more than 3 games to a disc. I got volume 1 for a friend for christmas, and I think we played it for about ten minutes before moving on to something else.

This is a good thing to buy if you have one of those $10 amazon videogame credits to use by 1/31 (that you get for buying games like New Super Mario Bros Wii). This is good if you don't want to buy a new $60 game.

This is a good deal . But, I want my XBLA games without the disc. Thats part of the appeal for me. So, unless i get these super cheap, say $5, I'm gonna pass.

[quote name='TheOmegaSoldier']
Still, in this day and age i'd expect more than 3 games to a disc.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. While I appreciate companies putting out XBLA discs for those without hard drives, Namco and Sega have set the bar for classic collections. Konami's collections are absolutely pitiful in comparison.

I bought Dracula X Chronicles on PSP to have another version of this, but I'd pick up the 360 disc for $10 or less. A $15 asking price is too high given that I own the PSone original as well.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']This is a good deal . But, I want my XBLA games without the disc. Thats part of the appeal for me. So, unless i get these super cheap, say $5, I'm gonna pass.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I have a pop cap disk or arcade classics or something...but I never put it in because if I'm going to pick up a disk based game I'm not picking that. Arcade games need to be installed to the HD!

these are just a rip. You have a comp game like Sonic Mega Collection that has what? near 30 games? for $20. Or two of these, 6 games for $30?? WTF! Plus, who needs moar Rush N Attack? and after 25 years for Frogger..come on!

These are the XBLA versions, so each disc only has 600 gamerscore, for those that care. The first Volume is a decent deal, about $5 off (Castlevania is 800 points and Contra/Frogger are 400 each), while the second value really isn't, as each of the titles are 400 points, or $5 each on XBLA (assuming you are getting points at full value).

[quote name='token2k6']You have a comp game like Sonic Mega Collection that has what? near 30 games?[/QUOTE]
49 games total, not to mention developer videos, galleries, other extras. But yeah, these would have been more tempting if they were on one disc with a few more games. No one likes having to swap discs on games that they might only play for five or so minutes. Especially when they're about the same price as on the Marketplace.

[quote name='mykevermin']^ That's what I want to know - can these be played off the disc or must they be installed to the HDD?[/QUOTE]
You can only play them off the disc, you can't play them off the HDD.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically you're buying gamerpts for games you already have on an older system or can play for free online. Meh...Namco's museum (even with it's dozen versions of pac-man) and Sonic's ultimate collection puts these titles to shame, even combined. Boo Konami.

These really look pathetic when you stack them up against Sega, Taito, and SNK's various collections. Still, I'd probably be thinking about the first volume if I didn't already have Symphony of the Night on my PSP.

Honestly these games have "bargin bin" written all over them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them down to $5 or less in the not too distant future.

I could maybe see Vol 1 having some worth since it comes with SotN, but still, 3 games is ridiculous. And Vol 2 is just terrible... I mean, Track & Field? That's one of the games you pick? Their main title is Contra, which, while good, is also about a 2-3 hour game...

In a world where I can get one of the best game collections ever, (Williams Pinball) new for 10 bucks, I have a hard time with this.

Seeing how that piece of amazing dropped 20$ in a month, there is a good chance this thing will be down to 9.99 soon.

Can Konami ever get it right and just release a Castlevania compilation disc? Who wouldn't want that? They could easily fit most pre PSN1 titles onto one disc right?

I've got mixed feelings about vol. 1. Basically it's for people who don't yet own Symphony of the Night, or want the Xbox version.

The d-pad on the Xbox stinks, plus it doesn't maintain aspect ration when you try to manually make it full screen (why the hey isn't it full screen by default?) Plus I think it's supposed to have more compressed music, and I can't even remember if install-to-drive actually worked (may have been one of those games where it still runs of disc after being installed, can't remember).

That said, it's still Symphony of the Night (and has points if you care :D )

The other two games though...YUCK. Neither was deep to begin with, but I discovered I *vastly* prefer the NES version of Super C (like most NES versions of things actually), which I already own on a compilation for PC.

So it's a weird completion-of course it's weird because they're just Xbox Live games, but if you didn't know that...

As others have said, other companies already set the standard of what an Arcade compilation disc should be. These are not nearly up to that standard. I don't mind playing the games off a disc. It's a small price to pay when you get a good deal on 5+ titles. But these are simply not enticing at all.

I agree that having them as downloads is way more appealing and given the lack of much of a deal here, I'll just pick up the download versions, and I can do that one at a time even. Plus if they ever go on sale....

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']This is a good deal . But, I want my XBLA games without the disc. Thats part of the appeal for me. So, unless i get these super cheap, say $5, I'm gonna pass.[/QUOTE]

I'm the opposite. I prefer my games to come on a retail disc. Still, 3 games per disc is kinda weak.

If there were all GOOD, but it's really just one game as far as I'm concerned, and a pretty lame job of emulating it :whistle2:/

[quote name='genfuyung']Considering SoTN is 10 bucks on XBLA this is a good deal.[/QUOTE]
... or maybe SoTN is overpriced.

Thanks for the heads up! I sure wish they'd do more NES/Genesis/SNES/SegaCD/Saturn games though :( I'm not really a fan of arcade games.

I would definitely kill for some more stuff from Sega. The Ultimate Genesis Collection is really great. I never owned a Sega console, except for a Game Gear, so I would definitely eat up any stuff from the Sega CD or Saturn.

I could go for a SEGA XBLA game collection. The goals that the added achievements bring tend to make those older games more interesting but not enough to buy them at $5 a pop.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I would definitely kill for some more stuff from Sega. The Ultimate Genesis Collection is really great. I never owned a Sega console, except for a Game Gear, so I would definitely eat up any stuff from the Sega CD or Saturn.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately it looks like doing a Saturn collection will be next to impossible due to the fact that the system's awkward hardware configuration makes emulation extremely difficult.

Indeed. Very unfortunate. If they could pull it off, though, I'd probably be willing to pay a decent amount. Much more convenient than having another console taking up space.

I like how they put super contra on disc 1 with castlevania and put the original contra on disc 2. Its like Konami knows that the other games all suck so they have to break them up on two discs to get people to buy them. Pathetic.

I hate to be negative but these releases seem so poorly executed I wouldn't even want them for free. Sorry Konami.

Yeah. I'll wait for it to drop below $10 for the first collection before I even think about it. They should really just do a Castlevania collection and Contra collection people would buy them.

All six games should've been on one disc. Period.

Exactly. Thats like putting 6 Mp3's on a CD. So much wasted space and that DVD..why not make a XBOXLIVE compliation disc and pack the damn thing. Although Im sure storage wasnt your point..They should be on one.

I wonder what the situation is with third parties publishing their own NES and SNES (etc.) games? It HAS happened before from Konami with their NES Castlevania/Contra collection, which I loved. But that's the only example I can think of :(

I wonder if these people think we *WANT* arcade games rather than console games? That might explain it....

And yeah, I figured the Saturn has to be super hard to do. THREE CPUs and TWO GPUs, all 5 of which you'd have to be emulating. Not completely impossible as Gametap has a few Saturn games up.

But dang...Saturn, NES, SNES, Genesis-I want a TON of older games that we're just not getting :( At this point I could give up ever playing an arcade version of a game ever again.

bread's done
Back