360 New Star Ocean TLH $19.99 @ Wal-Mart YMMV

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Its 4.97 at K-mart if you can find a copy[/QUOTE]

I could not find a copy there. The K-Mart here has been swept clean. Just like Sears everywhere else.

I've been to 3 Walmarts in SW Florida and all three had Star Ocean at $19.99 so it's probably not YMMV anymore. If it's not marked down to that price it probably will very soon.

What's it like? Is it any good? Does it have tons of characters like the old games?

PS3 version is better.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International is an international version of The Last Hope which was released February 9th, 2010 exclusively for the PlayStation 3. It came on a single Blu-ray Disc and contains new additional exclusive content for the PlayStation 3 such as dual voices (Japanese and English), Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German and Italian menus and subtitles, as well as multiple new soundtracks.

If that's $20 I want that version.

Yeah, I wouldn't get the 360 version for anything more than $5 considering the PS3 version is a thousand times better.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Yeah, I wouldn't get the 360 version for anything more than $5 considering the PS3 version is a thousand times better.[/QUOTE]

It's a thousand times better if you speak or understand Japanese. I don't, so it's of no interest to me so it's zero times better than the 360 version. :booty:

From the IGN Review: "The most important thing to note about Last Hope International is that it is much more enjoyable than its 360 counterpart, if only because of the Japanese language track. This is a very Japanese game. Unlike some JRPGs, Last Hope International contains characters that possess Japanese personalities and mannerisms that just don't quite fit with an English voiceover. The Japanese language track makes the characters feel much more natural and -- in turn -- more likable.

But a good amount of your time will be spent in battle, and that system is the same as the 360 version."

[quote name='Rodster']It's a thousand times better if you speak or understand Japanese. I don't, so it's of no interest to me so it's zero times better than the 360 version. :booty:

From the IGN Review: "The most important thing to note about Last Hope International is that it is much more enjoyable than its 360 counterpart, if only because of the Japanese language track. This is a very Japanese game. Unlike some JRPGs, Last Hope International contains characters that possess Japanese personalities and mannerisms that just don't quite fit with an English voiceover. The Japanese language track makes the characters feel much more natural and -- in turn -- more likable.

But a good amount of your time will be spent in battle, and that system is the same as the 360 version."[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure there are atleast english subtitles, if not a selectable english languagetrack. Also from what I have read is the 360 version suffers greatly from haivng to get up and switch discs, and its not just switch a disc once as you progress, but getting up multiple times to switch discs depending on where you are going in the game, that would get really old realy quick.

[quote name='Fors78']I am pretty sure there are atleast english subtitles, if not a selectable english languagetrack. Also from what I have read is the 360 version suffers greatly from haivng to get up and switch discs, and its not just switch a disc once as you progress, but getting up multiple times to switch discs depending on where you are going in the game, that would get really old realy quick.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with any of that. I also never play an RPG with Japanese voiceovers or language packs. But if someone is into that then I understand, but that doesn't make the PS3 version 1,000 times better for me only because of the J Language packs and voiceovers.

[quote name='Rodster']I don't have a problem with any of that. I also never play an RPG with Japanese voiceovers or language packs. But if someone is into that then I understand, but that doesn't make the PS3 version 1,000 times better for me only because of the J Language packs and voiceovers.[/QUOTE]

It may not bug you, but I guarantee you that you are in the minority. That is the #1 complaint about SO on the 360 is having to swap discs 500 times in the last 1/3rd of the game. In fact alot of people didnt even finish the game because of that.

[quote name='VA']What's it like? Is it any good? Does it have tons of characters like the old games?[/QUOTE]

It's actually a little deviation from the previous Star Ocean games. There aren't a ton of characters, but there's a good number of them to offer some kind of variety. The characters, however, range from good to outright annoying, and I've played a lot of JRPGs in the past.

Story-wise, there's nothing break through here, and it felt like a trip to the supermarket rather than an epic journey. The combat is probably where the game shines, where there's a lot of variety to keep things fresh, but it wasn't enough to save the game's lackluster story and forgettable characters for me.

Also if you like achievements and trophies, this is not the game to get.

I thought this game was OK, not great.

I didn't care about the CD swap since I am old school and I am used to such things.

The PS3 language thing is marketing bogus because either you are going to like the JRPG, or you are going to think the characters are ridiculous no matter what language they speak.

I am not really into JRPGs with funny characters, not my bag, but this was OK since I like SCI-FI themes and not all of them were over the top. (although a couple were damn annoying as hell)

I was mostly talking about the lack of "westernized" character portraits in the PS3 version. To me, that advantage makes me not want to play the 360 version, ever. If I were to get it at $5 it would only be to have it sit on my shelf and look pretty. :/

PixlBit gave Star Ocean: The Last Hope International a 4/5 stating, "If you own a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and are looking for the definitive version of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, look no further. The PlayStation 3 version has no disc swapping, while the Xbox 360 version spans 3 discs, and it also features Japanese voice-overs, which are leagues better than the cringe-inducing original English voiceovers. Finally, the game features a variety of other small enhancements that improve the overall experience in the PlayStation 3 version."

Yeah it's 1000x better to me. I want the PS3 version and yes I've played the 360 ver.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I was mostly talking about the lack of "westernized" character portraits in the PS3 version. To me, that advantage makes me not want to play the 360 version, ever. :/[/QUOTE]

The International version has the option for both styles.

[quote name='Fors78']It may not bug you, but I guarantee you that you are in the minority. That is the #1 complaint about SO on the 360 is having to swap discs 500 times in the last 1/3rd of the game. In fact alot of people didnt even finish the game because of that.[/QUOTE]

Hmm -- smell that putrid stench? Ah, another fanboy.

Stop exaggerating. Depending on where you need to re-visit at the end, you may need to switch a bit more but you won't be getting up much to change discs. I think I've read that some gamers needed to switch 5-6 times. That's not really all that bad. Yeah, the PS3 version is "better" in this respect, but if the price difference is $30+, I can handle getting up and switching a few times.

BTW, SOLH was a so-so game for me. Didn't really like the character designs at all, and the story was meh.

The "console war" is a marketing campaign, and it wants to enlist you as an unpaid employee. Don't be a sucker. --EGM #204

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='romeogbs19']Hmm -- smell that putrid stench? Ah, another fanboy.

Stop exaggerating. Depending on where you need to re-visit at the end, you may need to switch a bit more but you won't be getting up much to change discs. I think I've read that some gamers needed to switch 5-6 times. That's not really all that bad. Yeah, the PS3 version is "better" in this respect, but if the price difference is $30+, I can handle getting up and switching a few times.

BTW, SOLH was a so-so game for me. Didn't really like the character designs at all, and the story was meh.[/QUOTE]

Get your facts straight before you start calling me a "fanboy" because I can assure you I am not. I have a PS3, a 360 and a Wii and they all get playtime. Yes my PS3 gets the most playtime because I am one of the minority that prefer the ps3 controller over the 360, but that doesnt make me a fanboy.
I am not exagerating though, I have read many reviews on star ocean and the disc swapping on the 360 is mentioned in pretty much all of them, as is the Japanese sountrack that is added to the ps3 version.

[quote name='Fors78']Get your facts straight before you start calling me a "fanboy" because I can assure you I am not. I have a PS3, a 360 and a Wii and they all get playtime. Yes my PS3 gets the most playtime because I am one of the minority that prefer the ps3 controller over the 360, but that doesnt make me a fanboy.
I am not exagerating though, I have read many reviews on star ocean and the disc swapping on the 360 is mentioned in pretty much all of them, as is the Japanese sountrack that is added to the ps3 version.[/QUOTE]

Ummm -- how about you get your facts straight.

So you never played it, then? And yet you're waltzing around telling people you need to swap it 500 times? You ARE exaggerating. I've played it, and yes, you swap your discs towards the conclusion, but like 3-6 times total (again, more depending on whether you need to re-visit some areas, but I switched 3-4 times tops). Reviewers bicker over it because overall, there wasn't much in the game to gripe about. Reviews are solid and when you don't have too much to complain about, well, you point out minor nuisances.

The disc-swapping is, at worst, a minor nuisance.

BTW, I don't know how you define a fanboy, but someone who comes on these boards, admits he/she prefers the PS3 and then tells people the 360 version is bad because you swap discs "500 times" -- a game he/she never played but merely read about from anonymous Internet users/reviewers -- sounds pretty much fanboy to me. Just because one owns all the consoles doesn't suddenly immunize him/her from being a fanboy (I always laugh when people say I have this and that system -- well good for you, that doesn't mean didley-squat).

Being objective is about having a certain state of mind, it's not about how many consoles you own, fool.

Go back and pray to your PS3. I'm sure if you hug it tight enough, it'll cry for you.

And next time, before you make outlandish comments about a game, try playing it -- that usually helps one actually know what the heck he/she is talking about.

The "console war" is a marketing campaign, and it wants to enlist you as an unpaid employee. Don't be a sucker. --EGM #204

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DeathBringer']English voices are horrible in this game and why play a japanese game in english that's so lame.

lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess playing a game in a language you can understand is lame. :roll:

Jesus that comment was like my 7 year old telling me its lame to blow my nose into a napkin instead of my shirt.

I bought this around 5 months ago for this same price on eBay. It's not hard to find at this price. I want the better PS3 version though.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']Yeah I guess playing a game in a language you can understand is lame. :roll:

Jesus that comment was like my 7 year old telling me its lame to blow my nose into a napkin instead of my shirt.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. While I get the whole let's listen to this in Japanese over English, it's no way near a deal breaker for me, and hardly makes one version better than the other.

It's like, yay, instead of listening to a language that makes sense, I want to pay more for another version that let's me listen to essentially "gibberish" with English subtitles because that somehow makes the game more authentic ... so now I know what led Nintendo to substitute real "gibberish" for voice-acting all those years ago ... clearly, it's not like Americans know one over the other.

Once again, Americans blindly willing to declare the one that has "more" in it as somehow the better one, and not surprisingly willing to shell out an asinine amount more ($30+) for it. Sad nation we are.

Sure, there are those select few that actually know Japanese and prefer the Int'l version for that reason. Otherwise, those who somehow label the PS3 version as SO SO superior are just being mindless Sony drones.

It reminds me of all those fools who keep thinking Halo invented the FPS -- yeah, the Xbox 360 isn't really that great, kids. It's' a piece of plastic that runs discs to play your games.

SO is a good game -- not a great one, though. Like I said, I didn't personally like it much, so I'd just get the cheapest one you can. $20 for the 360 version is a great price for those who want to play it.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Couldn't agree with you more. While I get the whole let's listen to this in Japanese over English, it's no way near a deal breaker for me, and hardly makes one version better than the other.

It's like, yay, instead of listening to a language that makes sense, I want to pay more for another version that let's me listen to essentially "gibberish" with English subtitles because that somehow makes the game more authentic ... so now I know what led Nintendo to substitute real "gibberish" for voice-acting all those years ago ... clearly, it's not like Americans know one over the other.

Once again, Americans blindly willing to declare the one that has "more" in it as somehow the better one, and not surprisingly willing to shell out an asinine amount more ($30+) for it. Sad nation we are.

Sure, there are those select few that actually know Japanese and prefer the Int'l version for that reason. Otherwise, those who somehow label the PS3 version as SO SO superior are just being mindless Sony drones.

It reminds me of all those fools who keep thinking Halo invented the FPS -- yeah, the Xbox 360 isn't really that great, kids. It's' a piece of plastic that runs discs to play your games.

SO is a good game -- not a great one, though. Like I said, I didn't personally like it much, so I'd just get the cheapest one you can. $20 for the 360 version is a great price for those who want to play it.[/QUOTE]

I'd also like to add that I'm playing through the game right now (International) and I have been quite underwhelmed by it so far. Someone earlier described their experience as "a trip to the supermarket rather than an epic journey". As one who plays many many RPGs, that has pretty much been the case for me as well so far. I've yet to find anything really special about it. The game is easy on the eyes, but the story, honestly, has nearly bored me sleep already, combat system is ok-to-meh, none of the characters introduced to me so far are all that interesting or memorable, and the jury is still out on the soundtrack.

Considering the price difference, I seriously wouldn't make that big a deal over the voice acting as I've found the characters rather bland, regardless of what language comes out of their mouths.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Ummm -- how about you get your facts straight.

So you never played it, then? And yet you're waltzing around telling people you need to swap it 500 times? You ARE exaggerating. I've played it, and yes, you swap your discs towards the conclusion, but like 3-6 times total (again, more depending on whether you need to re-visit some areas, but I switched 3-4 times tops). Reviewers bicker over it because overall, there wasn't much in the game to gripe about. Reviews are solid and when you don't have too much to complain about, well, you point out minor nuisances.

The disc-swapping is, at worst, a minor nuisance.

BTW, I don't know how you define a fanboy, but someone who comes on these boards, admits he/she prefers the PS3 and then tells people the 360 version is bad because you swap discs "500 times" -- a game he/she never played but merely read about from anonymous Internet users/reviewers -- sounds pretty much fanboy to me. Just because one owns all the consoles doesn't suddenly immunize him/her from being a fanboy (I always laugh when people say I have this and that system -- well good for you, that doesn't mean didley-squat).

Being objective is about having a certain state of mind, it's not about how many consoles you own, fool.

Go back and pray to your PS3. I'm sure if you hug it tight enough, it'll cry for you.

And next time, before you make outlandish comments about a game, try playing it -- that usually helps one actually know what the heck he/she is talking about.

The "console war" is a marketing campaign, and it wants to enlist you as an unpaid employee. Don't be a sucker. --EGM #204[/QUOTE]

Actually no I havnt played it, I did own it for the 360 but I sold it becasue of reading about all of the disc swapping. This was BEFORE the ps3 version came out or I knew anything about the ps3 version even coming out. So it has NOTHING to do with being a fanboy, just my opinion on which version is better from what I have read.

I still really dont understand how though, that making an informed opinion by reading reviews about the game makes me a fanboy.

I considered buying it, but I'm waiting for the PS3 version to go a little cheaper. I own all 3 systems, but I admit to having a preference for the PS3. I can't describe it...it's like being brainwashed.

bread's done
Back