360: Star Ocean: The Last Hope $18.01 on amazon.com

In the original version you had to disc swap

In the original version you cannot select your target. You can in the international version.

In International ver

- Some treasure place changed (ex now dragon roar need the water ring).
- japanese voice selection
- can chose text between (english/japanese/french/german/italiano/spanish)
- can switch to another design menu, that change as well character portrait

I was gonna pull the trigger on this but realized I have Tales of Vesperia and Resonance of Fate in my backlog. Good deal OP.

[quote name='neonglow']Hmm...I will go with the international version mainly for the target select option.[/QUOTE]

It's not as important as it sounds.

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']If you are an achievement completion type person this is just about the hardest game to get 1000 in.[/QUOTE]

Which achievements make it so difficult to complete?

Think it's getting all the individual character battle trophies. Seriously getting 1000/1000 in this game has taken a small number of people around 750 hours.

Wow, ok. I was looking at the leaderboards on xbox360achievements.org and saw that not a single person on that site had the 1000 points.

Thanks OP, I'd go for it, I love Sci-Fi, however probably doesn't have much ship combat and the like. If it does, please let me know!

How does this compare to mass effect?

Thanks!

Thrinn, I think there are 2 or 3 posters at x360a who have the 1000 legit. That's how I know it takes at least 750 hours to get. IIRC the first person who got it legit spent like 900 hours getting it. It's pure insanity.

Here's what you need to do to enjoy Star Ocean:
Mute the volume (Japanese or English. They both suck)
Close your eyes during the cut scenes (This way you can pretend the characters aren't the worst characters in any J-RPG)
Set aside an 8-hour block of time per gaming session (You have to build up combo meters that disappear when you reload your game save. Trust me, 240% experience isn't something you want to build up again)
Do NOT try to build up your monster collection (Absolutely insane requirements for kills to get 100% for each monster. Don't bother)

You should be good after that. :)

Friedram, Star Ocean and ME are very different games. Unfortunately there is no demo for Star Ocean. It's a pretty hardcore JRPG. Having played both I'd say Star Ocean is WELL worth it at $20 or less. I paid around $40 and enjoyed it.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Set aside an 8-hour block of time per gaming session (You have to build up combo meters that disappear when you reload your game save. Trust me, 240% experience isn't something you want to build up again)[/QUOTE]This sounds like both an interesting and terrible idea at the same time.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Here's what you need to do to enjoy Star Ocean:
Mute the volume (Japanese or English. They both suck)
Close your eyes during the cut scenes (This way you can pretend the characters aren't the worst characters in any J-RPG)
Set aside an 8-hour block of time per gaming session (You have to build up combo meters that disappear when you reload your game save. Trust me, 240% experience isn't something you want to build up again)
Do NOT try to build up your monster collection (Absolutely insane requirements for kills to get 100% for each monster. Don't bother)

You should be good after that. :)[/QUOTE]

Realizing that you're being slightly sarcastic but some people are getting the wrong impression. :)

Voice acting sucks. I skip the cutscenes because they are also so long. There is a text summary when you skip cutscenes though.

It does not take 8 hours to fill your bonuses back up. I'm on my 2nd playthrough on the 2nd hardest difficulty and it doesn't take me that long as I play through normally.

I bought this yesterday for $29.99 for the PS3 and now I'm glad I did (even though I won't get to it for awhile, have to finisih Arc Rise and want to play Neir). Paid for with credit so no biggie. The voice acting can't possibly be worse than Arc Rise - "Mr. L'arc, help me Mr. L'arc" - nightmarish.

By "hardcore" does that mean "hard" or just a very traditional JRPG - which is what I'm looking for? I'm not a completitionist, just usually play through the main storyline with a couple of sidequests, arena battles or whatever just to check them out. DragonQuest 8 had a fun battle arena, FF8 had a fun card game, FF10 underwater soccer wasn't working for me, FF12 had a good hunt system (actually better than the main story line, whatever it was).

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']I want this game on PS3 for $19.99 or less. :)[/QUOTE]

I wish that this would happen but this game rarely goes down on sale for the PS3.

bread's done
Back