360 to gain USB storage support in spring update

Well, you know. It sorta makes sense now IF that motherboard pic is indeed fact and not rumor. Now, I wonder if it will take a good External TB HDD. I could put ALL my games onto the HDD. I'm running down to 60 gigs now on my 120 gig

[quote name='mogamer']Still total bullshit. If MS can get a USB flash drive to work, then they can get a USB HDD to work.[/QUOTE]

Who's saying they can't? They just don't want to.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Who's saying they can't? They just don't want to.[/QUOTE]

But of course. That's why I said that it was total bullshit! ;)

Can't wait for this. It'll be interesting to see how the pirates figure out a way to take advantage of this to play illegal backups.

^
of what arcade games if so JTAG 360 already exist.

I was pretty happy for this until i saw the limit of 16gb which is less than the original 20gb bundle. I guess you wont be installing many games to the hdd and you will be back to playing from the disc :(

You can use 2 at the same time tho, so 32gb
this is great for me, i have to delete stuff when i want to download a new demo or whatever.

Obviously it's not everything they could do to make it more convienent for their customers, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

So, a much less expensive are much higher capacity alternative to their proprietary memory units. Not bad. I just put in an order for a 256 MB unit (used) today from gamestop via the b1g1. Might have to see if they'll let me exchange it in store for something else worth $10.

[quote name='help1']Can't wait for this. It'll be interesting to see how the pirates figure out a way to take advantage of this to play illegal backups.[/QUOTE]

They already did. With Jtag you can use any USB drive, external HDD, and replace MS HDD with any HDD. And they can download every piece of DLC and play games off HDD without the disc.

[quote name='62t']They already did. With Jtag you can use any USB drive, external HDD, and replace MS HDD with any HDD. And they can download every piece of DLC and play games off HDD without the disc.[/QUOTE]

What about playing online and getting achievements? I thought I read somewhere that MS banned a shitload of people and playing on Live was impossible now without getting detected...

[quote name='javeryh']What about playing online and getting achievements? I thought I read somewhere that MS banned a shitload of people and playing on Live was impossible now without getting detected...[/QUOTE]

November banned a lot of modded xboxs. They can't get back online. You can play online and get achievements with a new console and new firmware but its cat and mouse game. ixtreme LT or lite touch will eventually be detected just like the firmware before and they you be banned and forced to purchase a new console.

I know the JTAG consoles are used atm to run external code in MW2 to play different gamemodes for example speedhack , frictionless or chopper gunner ammo. those modded xp lobbies and more recently a hack where you press a button and unlock all the titles and emblems are all from JTAG consoles on xbox live.

[quote name='life.exe']WTF! I just bought a bigger harddrive last month...[/QUOTE]

yeah i got a 120gb at xmas...but the limit of 16gb still makes me think i made the right decision. I like to install my games so the disk doesn't randomly scratch itself to death like my first fallout 3 disk :/

16gb is still better then the shitty 512mb memory card.
This will make the transfer of games saves, DLC and XBLA titles a lot easier.

You can transfer DLC right?

Boo fucking hiss on any company that decides to blog the transfer of save files. They can burn in hell.

^
what do u mean transfer DLC? You can copy your content/xbla games to anywhere but the DRM is bound by Console Key & gamertag. If your console dies you must then remain signed into xbox live to play said XBLA game. Only that console can play the XBLA game or your gamertag must be logged into xbox live. You can not take content that your friend download and just pop it onto your xbox.

so in short yes you can copy/backup all of your xbox content to a hdd incase u buy a new console. They have that once a year(half year?) license transfer thing which changes over all the games console key to your new xbox.

Its still cheaper and with more memory than buying a propietary ms memory card. I dont see what everyone is complaining about. So what if its 16gb, if thats not enough buy an elite or a ms hdd.

Im just waiting for a ehdd input so i can watch movies.

This is weird - they just locked out all third party memory devices a few months back, now they are cracking it open so supposedly any USB drive works as a memory device. There's probably a reason but I'm blanking on it at the moment.

Yamato has an interesting point though...I wonder if they'll raise the 16GB limit later on. If not this generation, maybe next? You know they are reluctant to give up that proprietary memory device thing completely, it makes them too much money. Maybe it'll be a little more flexible right out of the gate next time, though.

I would assume anything that can go on a hard drive or memory card would be transferrable to a USB device. I've got an 8GB one just sitting around, I'll probably use that as my Rock Band DLC device and leave my hard drive for installed & arcade games. It'll be nice to be able to take your Rock Band tracks to other people's houses without having to haul around a hard drive.

[quote name='KaneRobot']This is weird - they just locked out all third party memory devices a few months back, now they are cracking it open so supposedly any USB drive works as a memory device. There's probably a reason but I'm blanking on it at the moment.

Yamato has an interesting point though...I wonder if they'll raise the 16GB limit later on. If not this generation, maybe next? You know they are reluctant to give up that proprietary memory device thing completely, it makes them too much money. Maybe it'll be a little more flexible right out of the gate next time, though.

I would assume anything that can go on a hard drive or memory card would be transferrable to a USB device. I've got an 8GB one just sitting around, I'll probably use that as my Rock Band DLC device and leave my hard drive for installed & arcade games. It'll be nice to be able to take your Rock Band tracks to other people's houses without having to haul around a hard drive.[/QUOTE]
I imagine they'll eventually do away with the smaller HDDs altogether and raise the 16GB cap..they're already ditching the 120GB HDDs for the 250GB. Do they even produce 20GB HDDs anymore?

I wonder what kind of restrictions a flash drive would have with this update..

[quote name='limelight022']
Im just waiting for a ehdd input so i can watch movies.[/QUOTE]

You can do that now. My friend has an external HDD that plugs into the USB port, and he has hundreds of movies on it.

Also, wouldn't the 16GB scenario be better than the 20GB HDD anyway? If I understood the article, using a flash drive would take 512mb for system use. Doesn't the 20GB take like, 6GB for system use?

[quote name='naiku']^
what do u mean transfer DLC? [/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was reading online original XBox DLC can't be placed on a memory card. I assumed the same for 360.

Anyways, yeah I'm aware it has to be on your system/your signed in. No biggie I would just do a license transfer to my new 360.

I think this and the slim rumor is rather glowing news for those that haven't bought a 360/want another 360. If they release the slim at $150 I'm all over it.

I'm looking forward to this if the rumor is true. Being able to use a spare 4GB USB key as a memory card sure beats having to buy an overpriced 512MB one any day.

[quote name='Matt Young']You can do that now. My friend has an external HDD that plugs into the USB port, and he has hundreds of movies on it.[/QUOTE]

Wha????? I gotta try that out!

[quote name='help1']Can't wait for this. It'll be interesting to see how the pirates figure out a way to take advantage of this to play illegal backups.[/QUOTE]

Already done...

From the article: "Once the update occurs, Xbox 360 owners will be able to download Xbox Live Arcade games, Xbox Live Indie games, Games on Demand, DLC and Title Updates to the storage device. "USB storage devices may, however, have far greater memory capacity than MUs (at the date of writing, the largest MU is 512 MB), and may therefore support previously infeasible operations-such as installation of a full disc-based title." That's right, you can also store disc-based games to the USB device; however, it will require the disc to be in the tray for authentication, identical to the current functionality."

Notice that it didn't mention downloading GAME DEMOS. Was it an unintentional omission or will it not be able to do it at all?

Good news nonetheless, OP.

I'm sure game demos will be permitted on there as well.

And I didn't notice the "maximum of 32GB" thing if you use two USB drives. That's decent.

[quote name='KaneRobot']This is weird - they just locked out all third party memory devices a few months back, now they are cracking it open so supposedly any USB drive works as a memory device. There's probably a reason but I'm blanking on it at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it has to do with that 512MB install that it requires. Probably makes the files invisible/copy proof when inserted into a PC or something along those lines. That Datel microSD thing allows you to transfer anything you want to the PC, IIRC.

[quote name='Yamato']Also, wouldn't the 16GB scenario be better than the 20GB HDD anyway? If I understood the article, using a flash drive would take 512mb for system use. Doesn't the 20GB take like, 6GB for system use?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Same 512MB. The other 6-6.5GB is reserved for backwards compatibility.

This would make a second xbox for the house more feasible. Don't need to buy a hard drive for the second one, just use a cheap flash drive. Well, except that Mr. Heck saw no signs of built-in WiFi. Grrr....

Yea it will be nice to be able to put your profile on a large usb drive to take with you. I'm running out of room on the 512mb memory card. I was a bit worried when they shut down the 3rd party memory card support, but it looks like we might actually benefit from from this one with USB support.

16 GB = joke.

up it to 250 GB already; the new standard.

I'm getting myself a PS3 soon, just to play God of War III [system seller].

and after that, my multi-platform titles will be purchased on PS3 cause their online gaming network is um ..... free.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']16 GB = joke.

and after that, my multi-platform titles will be purchased on PS3 cause their online gaming network is um ..... free.[/QUOTE]

Just play God of War 2 its the same game with HD graphics. Im playing it now and i hate to say it but it follows the exact same pattern of the other two games, (epic opening, kratos loses stats, go to hades, get out of hades, etc...) and it feels all too familiar and a bit stale.

PS3 cause their online gaming network is um ..... free.[/QUOTE]

For the mean time. With talks for "premium content" due sometime in 2010 I don't think that's gonna last forever. Sony could make even more money going premium. But yeah, whatever floats your boat. If you like Sony's better lineup then stick with a PS3, but your in the wrong forum.

The ability to transfer saves and take my profile with my on a usb drive will be nice. Downloading of profiles takes FOREVERRRR. Not counting how long it takes to type in your email and password into the on screen keyboard.

Can't believe all the people bitching about the 16GB size limit. They go from an overpriced 512mb proprietary mem card to cheap, open market usb drives and people still complain.

The 20GB HDD only offers 13GB (although I'm sure some of the lost space is game demos and intro videos that can be deleted, like on the 120GB drive). So a usb drive can effectively double storage space.

You can always use multiple drives for more storage.

Also, USB 2.0 only offers 480 megabits of bandwidth. That's 60 megabytes per second. Even if you could hook up huge USB drives to copy game images to, it would be worse than the 360 drive. There is barely a loading speed advantage to having games installed as it is. Playing game images off usb will make everything load slower than playing off the dvd.

Pretty sure you can already use large USB drives for videos, music, and pictures.

and after that, my multi-platform titles will be purchased on PS3 cause their online gaming network is um ..... free.[/QUOTE]

Yea have fun with the reliable :lol: psn network.

The only thing I'm worried about is this could open up the door to easier hacking in online games. Hopefully it doesn't but it seems like it could.

[quote name='limelight022']Just play God of War 2 its the same game with HD graphics. Im playing it now and i hate to say it but it follows the exact same pattern of the other two games, (epic opening, kratos loses stats, go to hades, get out of hades, etc...) and it feels all too familiar and a bit stale.[/QUOTE]

Yea that's generally what a sequel is so your points pretty moot.

Well, this makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing I bought the 512mb relic a month ago to transfer my files off my shared xbox to my new one. At least now I can bring my arcade titles to friends houses for multiplayer without having to worry about limiting it to 512 mb. I don't see what the big deal about the 16 GB limit is, first off its meant to replace memory cards which currently don't even exceed 1 GB, plus they knew they were losing on the memory card end, but the proprietary HDD is too big of a cash cow to kill off.

picard-facepalm.jpg

bread's done
Back