360 won't read any discs

buttasuperb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
On Friday, my 360 wouldn't read Gears, so I tried Lost Planet and that took a few tries before finally working. Yesterday, wanted to play Lost Planet and couldn't get it to work at all. When I put the game in, it just says reading, then open tray, as if there is no game in the system at all. Tried the 4 other games I own, same thing. Tried a DVD, same.

So I tried disconnecting the HDD and the HD-DVD player, still no go. Tried changing the settings to boot to disc, that didn't help either.

I bought the 2 year replacement plan at BB, so it's not too big a deal. Regarding that, does anyone know exactly how those work? I got the system about a year ago, so if I go get a new system today will it be covered for another year or do I have to buy another replacement plan?

Also I'm pretty sure I can redownload all my xbla games on the new system since they are tied to my gamertag. Is that correct? What about gamer pics and themes? Same thing? And if I want to keep my game saves, I have to buy an overpriced memory card?

I'm actually thinking about waiting a little bit to see if they announce/release a new and improved version of the 360, so I can just get that. I can get by playing xbla games for the time being.

[quote name='buttasuperb']I bought the 2 year replacement plan at BB, so it's not too big a deal. Regarding that, does anyone know exactly how those work? I got the system about a year ago, so if I go get a new system today will it be covered for another year or do I have to buy another replacement plan?[/quote]

I read somewhere that it's a one time replacement. Not sure about that though. I guess the new one would be covered under Microsoft's warranty though, if nothing else.

Also I'm pretty sure I can redownload all my xbla games on the new system since they are tied to my gamertag. Is that correct?

Sort of. You can redownload them, but you can only play them when connected to the internet, logged in to the Live service. (This is the reason I keep telling people not to buy stuff from Live, the Playstation Store, or Virtual Console-these companies need to adopt Apple's model where you can deauthorize hardware whenever you want so different hardware can be authorized.)

And if I want to keep my game saves, I have to buy an overpriced memory card?

Yup.

I'm actually thinking about waiting a little bit to see if they announce/release a new and improved version of the 360, so I can just get that. I can get by playing xbla games for the time being.

It's probably going to be a little while. Personally my guess is Mayish at the earliest. The 65nm chips were delayed until mid-year if I'm remembering right.

EDIT: It would be interesting if you can match which drive you have to the pictures that were floating around on here. By interesting to see if one of the two early brands was more reliable.

I thought that I saw some third party accessory at an EBGames store that allowed you to transfer your saves from your Xbox 360 HDD to a PC. I can't find it on their website, But I think that It goes for $30.

[quote name='doubledown']Can't you just keep your HDD and just swap consoles....most places seems to do that, at least that is what MS does.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, I'm not sure. But it would suck if I got there and they told me I couldn't.

My 360 did the same thing.. had to send it in.

The BB warranty is a one time exchange, though you can pay for a warranty on the new system. That's how a warranty works. You pay the monies in case your 360 ever goes kaput, you cash in the warranty for a new system instead of forking over $400, and then you can get a new warranty. Most places overwrite the manufacturer's warranty, though.

For instance.. GS and EB offer one year warranties that start from the very second that you buy the system.. so you're covered under Microsoft AND EB/GS. You're buying a useless warranty at that point, I don't see the point of paying $40 when you're already covered for a year (I can be patient and wait two weeks for my system to get back versus paying $40 to switch it same-day).

GameCrazy's warranty tacks on to the manufacturer's warranty. If you buy a one year warranty through GC, you're covered by Microsoft for a year and THEN GameCrazy for a year. If your 360 dies during the first year, you can refund your old warranty and get a new one for your new system free of charge. So.. at EB/GS, $40 warranty gets you covered through 2/13/08. At GC, $40 warranty gets you covered through 2/13/09.

But I don't know how Best Buy is.. hopefully theirs tacks on after the manufacturer's, but knowing BB, I doubt it.

When someone comes through GC with a defective system, I let them swap out the hard drives so they can keep their gamer profile and saves and whatnot. Just ask about it and explain that the HD isn't the problem, it's the console. I don't see why they wouldn't let you switch them out.

[quote name='Scorch']My 360 did the same thing.. had to send it in.

The BB warranty is a one time exchange, though you can pay for a warranty on the new system. That's how a warranty works. You pay the monies in case your 360 ever goes kaput, you cash in the warranty for a new system instead of forking over $400, and then you can get a new warranty. Most places overwrite the manufacturer's warranty, though.

For instance.. GS and EB offer one year warranties that start from the very second that you buy the system.. so you're covered under Microsoft AND EB/GS. You're buying a useless warranty at that point, I don't see the point of paying $40 when you're already covered for a year (I can be patient and wait two weeks for my system to get back versus paying $40 to switch it same-day).

GameCrazy's warranty tacks on to the manufacturer's warranty. If you buy a one year warranty through GC, you're covered by Microsoft for a year and THEN GameCrazy for a year. If your 360 dies during the first year, you can refund your old warranty and get a new one for your new system free of charge. So.. at EB/GS, $40 warranty gets you covered through 2/13/08. At GC, $40 warranty gets you covered through 2/13/09.

But I don't know how Best Buy is.. hopefully theirs tacks on after the manufacturer's, but knowing BB, I doubt it.

When someone comes through GC with a defective system, I let them swap out the hard drives so they can keep their gamer profile and saves and whatnot. Just ask about it and explain that the HD isn't the problem, it's the console. I don't see why they wouldn't let you switch them out.[/quote]
BB's PRP on a console covers it for 2 years from date of purchase. Which on the 360 made it a great warranty because it covered it for 21 months beyond the 3 month factory warranty. Now that it's a year, it's only for 12 months additional.

Thanks for the note about the EB/GS warranty, which is something I suspected. Makes me think I'll try to get my Wii at Target, because they have a 3 year warranty available for it, or BB, CC or TRU. GC as well.

I found out the hard way about the GS warranty. I bought a Wii through GS as well as the warranty.. called back and asked about the coverage and was shocked to learn that it wasn't a year and six months (which would be the Nintendo warranty + extended warranty via registering at the site + the warranty), it was just a year. I was furious. After thinking it over and hearing the reports from everyone of messed up wiimotes and consoles coding upon updating, I decided to keep the warranty.

Besides.. I may want to cash out the warranty for a black Wii if those come out within the warranty period. [insert once you go black joke here]

bread's done
Back